• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

clav

Curious what integration would useful with WP (or any OS really). My wife's iPhone has some integration with our Nissan, but I don't think she's ever downloaded the app to connect it.

On my WP I get texts read out, calls (obviously) and audio over Bluetooth. I can also dictate texts or other requests to Cortana. It's as useful as I can imagine a phone would be in a car, so I'm genuinely curious what else could be done. I guess the only thing I could think of would be native control of Groove through the car dashboard, but I can't see that being all that useful while driving since you wouldn't want to fiddle with it while in motion (if the car even lets you).

Take over the archaic automobile OS.

A major problem with these "smart" cars is the infortainment system. It's shit. Unresponsive touchscreens. Bad UI. So problematic that it can cause accidents.

:/ oh come on. I've hard reset more flagship android phones than probably anyone in this or the other android thread. I have over 150 apps on average by the time I've owned an android phone for one month, you think what I want to spend my time on is babying my phone to find out whether an app update or a Google services update is killing my battery/performance? Or should I not install that many apps on my phone? If so, why would I even own an Android phone? You think I didn't try with my G4? I bought a spare battery for crying out loud. Give me a break.

I'm glad all of you are buying android phones, and I cant wait until you've owned them for a while and they turn to shit. Unless you're brot and you install like 3 apps.

The point is these rogue apps do matter, and it's the same issue on iOS as well.

The biggest offenders are Facebook and Speedtest for many users out there.

ElNino

A major problem with these "smart" cars is the infortainment system. It's shit. Unresponsive touchscreens. Bad UI. So problematic that it can cause accidents.
But what are you going to do from your phone while driving? You shouldn't, and legally can't (here at least), use a phone while operating a vehicle, so I'm unsure what you could do with that.

But what are you going to do from your phone while driving? You shouldn't, and legally can't (here at least), use a phone while operating a vehicle, so I'm unsure what you could do with that.
Updated maps, better voice recognition, internet for voice search, etc

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Curious what integration would useful with WP (or any OS really). My wife's iPhone has some integration with our Nissan, but I don't think she's ever downloaded the app to connect it.

On my WP I get texts read out, calls (obviously) and audio over Bluetooth. I can also dictate texts or other requests to Cortana. It's as useful as I can imagine a phone would be in a car, so I'm genuinely curious what else could be done. I guess the only thing I could think of would be native control of Groove through the car dashboard, but I can't see that being all that useful while driving since you wouldn't want to fiddle with it while in motion (if the car even lets you).

This is what Apple does best. Comes up with a OS or a feature and let dev run their imaginations. You and me and even Apple don't know yet. But people WILL come up with great apps that will work in your car.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
This is what Apple does best. Comes up with a OS or a feature and let dev run their imaginations. You and me and even Apple don't know yet. But people WILL come up with great apps that will work in your car.

Not always true, there is an article on the Verge of all places talking about how that hasnt happened on Apple watch and force touch and TV. Maybe next year, but auto is not a guarantee. I can use Cortana in my car, that's good enough for everything I need to do while driving, and although big screen navigation would be nice, I think having the phone mounted in my dash closer to eye level is safer and more natural for me.

Just like payments, it would be nice to have, so I'm not arguing MS shouldn't make a play, but it's not a huge deal imo

kharma45

The point is these rogue apps do matter, and it's the same issue on iOS as well.

The biggest offenders are Facebook and Speedtest for many users out there.

I detest touchscreens in cars. I'm glad the likes of Audi and BMW still have kept their swivel wheel controls for the entertainment system.

Haven't seen what just plain Bluetooth does, but it was embarrassing that they're really pushing for this app to control your infotainment and I'm the 3% whom it's not applicable to.

ElNino

Haven't seen what just plain Bluetooth does, but it was embarrassing that they're really pushing for this app to control your infotainment and I'm the 3% whom it's not applicable to.
What car, and what app? I've yet to see an app for the car that really did anything useful other than native iTunes library support.
So how's the bluetooth stack in the latest W10 gadgets update?
I saw it was updated, but I didn't know what it did. Were there problems with Bluetooth before? The only problem I've had is that the app crashes when you try to select an app to send notifications to the wireless charger, but that wasn't fixed.

Finally found a good music player app. "Perfect Music". Nice UI and I can play songs in a folder than rather just playlists [why doesn't every other music player have this option????].

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Really nice that Two Dots is now available on w10 mobile, one of my favorite games on Android. Anyone know if this is one of those iOS bridge apps like Candy Crush?

NeOak

So if you want that 950 free for $150 with a 2 year contract from AT&T, better do it before January 8.

They are killing phone subsidies.

joshschw

So if you want that 950 free with a 2 year contract from AT&T, better do it before January 8.

They are killing phone subsidies.

It is still only via NEXT. So I don't see the bargain, you're still paying $600 for it...
? If I could get it via standard two yr contract I would bite. My 1520 has become more and more unusable last week or two with touchscreen problems... I'm super sad :(

JaggedSac

It is still only via NEXT. So I don't see the bargain, you're still paying $600 for it...
? If I could get it via standard two yr contract I would bite. My 1520 has become more and more unusable last week or two with touchscreen problems... I'm super sad :(

You can get it with a two year contract.

JaggedSac

For free? I only saw on ATT's site for $150. Maybe if I log in...

To write that post above took me like 4 times turning phone screen on and off and correcting three things that went haywire. My 1520 is going mad :(

Sorry, was just saying it was available for the 2 year contract. I don't see it being available for free either. Maybe that is through the MS store.

NeOak

For free? I only saw on ATT's site for $150. Maybe if I log in...

To write that post above took me like 4 times turning phone screen on and off and correcting three things that went haywire. My 1520 is going mad :(

Sorry, was just saying it was available for the 2 year contract. I don't see it being available for free either. Maybe that is through the MS store.

Yeah, you're right. It is only with Next for $0.

hadareud

The Translator
My gf had the fw update on her XL, still nothing for my 950. ffs.

Wonder whether its something to do with me running an insider build.

derFeef

So I got my 950 early by surprise. I like it very much so far - updated to an inser build as well. Hello can be good or not so good, not sure I keep it. I need to dip a bit more into settings, especially with the camera.

Also it feels weirldy lightweigth for such a highend device. I need a case.

Bonus shots:

24004469211_96326ee605_k_d.jpg

23978888762_a72cadeca2_k_d.jpg

24004387491_9c5a489d78_k_d.jpg

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Those are beautiful shots.

I'm not on Insider, should I be? Have they fixed anything in the latest build? My phone feels pretty stable, I just want that fw update for the 4k video fix.

What car, and what app? I've yet to see an app for the car that really did anything useful other than native iTunes library support.

Uvo services for a Kia. Not sure what I'm missing out on, but it will just have to be yet one of the many other categories of new things Windows Phone will miss out on.

I saw it was updated, but I didn't know what it did. Were there problems with Bluetooth before? The only problem I've had is that the app crashes when you try to select an app to send notifications to the wireless charger, but that wasn't fixed.
Found out the bluetooth issues are with my car, not WP as I'm getting the same issues with my Android. 2013 BMW likely has Bluetooth tech from 4-5 yrs ago. It doesn't connect sometimes and can be slow to connect.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Happy New Year WP gaf! Welcome to 2016, Aka the Year of the Surface Phone.

Also, this is the year w10 mobile goes gold-get hyped!

So I've been on Android for about 3 weeks now. I initially downloaded about 40 apps and only opened about half of those. Slowly though I've been opening more apps and this phone's been slowing down; input lag, apps opening and closing slowly, etc. I thought it was the imgur app as it left a constant notification on my phone but after deleting that, the lag is still there.

Looks my my little affair with Android is about to be over and will likely move my sim back into my trusty 830.

frontieruk

So I've been on Android for about 3 weeks now. I initially downloaded about 40 apps and only opened about half of those. Slowly though I've been opening more apps and this phone's been slowing down; input lag, apps opening and closing slowly, etc. I thought it was the imgur app as it left a constant notification on my phone but after deleting that, the lag is still there.

Looks my my little affair with Android is about to be over and will likely move my sim back into my trusty 830.

Factory reset it, then act as if it's the winphone app store with nothing but the basics to download.

kharma45

2 weeks for me and no issues yet on my G4. Didn't have any noticeable slowdown in the 3 months I had a OPO.

Checked to see what's running in the background?

hwalker84

My boy who's been on Windows Phone with Verizon due to my recommendation for awhile needed a new phone. He went out and got the S6 Edge. Died in less than 24 hours. LOL.

Few days ago I had to fix my VCR HTPC and reinstall Windows and Steam. Now I realized that there's no Steam app on Windows Phone and without the official app, there's no Steam Guard authenticator. I can't go back to Windows Phone.

Happy new year, everyone!

Anyone know a good expense tracking/budgeting solution for WP?

Or am I stuck with Excel?

Have you tried Mint?

hadareud

The Translator
Why would you need steam guard, their security setup lets you access accounts without logging in.

It might not be your own account, but you can't have everything.

Happy New Year!

kharma45

Few days ago I had to fix my VCR HTPC and reinstall Windows and Steam. Now I realized that there's no Steam app on Windows Phone and without the official app, there's no Steam Guard authenticator. I can't go back to Windows Phone.

Have you tried Mint?

Mint discontinued their app.

dLMN8R

Why would you need steam guard, their security setup lets you access accounts without logging in.

It might not be your own account, but you can't have everything.

Happy New Year!

har har, that's not actually what happened in the slightest.

Can't you use Steam Guard with email authentication instead of iOS/Android app authentication?

Have you tried Mint?

Why isn't there a Steam app lol? That 3% struggle. There's an unofficial authenticator in the Store though. I haven't used it, but it should work for whatever everyone else already does.

Top Bottom