• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

kharma45

downloaded Google Fit, fuk it pisses me off that MS killed their Fitness & Health app for their Health app which seems to only work if you have a Band. WP currently have zero apps to track steps and activity unless you own a Band.

Must try Google Fit. Had LG Health installed but it loved to drink up my battery.

a mini compare:

Lumia 830

Nexus 5x

Light was a little better for the 5x shot but it was a grey day mostly.

Nice depth of field on the Nexus.

Day 2 with win10:

I like that apps are actually resuming from where I left off like next gen reader. With wp8.1, it always reloads to the top. Was soooo annoying.

Edge on the other hand...constant reloading on every tab. Sigh.

As for everything else, things are working just as intended including the store.

Not bad. Not bad at all.

@brot I'd suggest getting a cheap 640 or an old phone and flash win10 on it. 950 is expensive for beta testing MS 4th reboot.

Yep, this is annoying. The Blu Win HD LTE is a good phone with comparable to the Lumia 640. You may miss the glance screen and I'm not sure it's GG3 but it definitely feels better in the hand than the Lumia and doesn't seem as cheaply made. Also there may be a wait for upgrading to Windows Phone 10.

Yeah, "crippling to say the least"...let's get a reality check. In a thread that is already (understandably) negative, we don't need more hyperbole.

So how's the state of Windows phone 10 and the overall ecosystem. If I were to switch from android/Google it would probably be windows 10. Was super exciting after that press event from a few months ago but no one seems to be talking windows.

If you're in no rush, you should wait. I really do think that W10 will finally be when we get the app ecosystem we need (mostly due to universal apps reducing the maintenance needs/costs for devs, theoretically) and we've already gotten a bump in universal apps the past few weeks.

Also, while I completely disagree that there are *crippling* bugs in W10, it does feel unrefined/unfinished in some regards. I'm sure they're aware, but the OS probably could have used a few more months of dev/QA.

I believe you need the fitbit.

Activity tracking is huge without the need to wear another device. Coworkers walk on their breaks trying to hit their daily 10,000 steps, all with just their iPhones or Android phones. Can't believe MS has nothing to track the pedometer that's already in most phones.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I believe you need the fitbit.

Activity tracking is huge without the need to wear another device. Coworkers walk on their breaks trying to hit their daily 10,000 steps, all with just their iPhones or Android phones. Can't believe MS has nothing to track the pedometer that's already in most phones.

What? You can download Microsoft Health. You don't need any wearable device.

What? You can download Microsoft Health. You don't need any wearable device.
Was visiting my parents this past week and tried to figure this out. Despite the Microsoft Health website saying that you don't need a device other than your phone for the app to track your steps, distance, etc it doesn't actually appear to be the case.

Klocker

Was visiting my parents this past week and tried to figure this put. Despite the Microsoft Health website saying that you don't need a device other than your phone for the app to track your steps, distance, etc it doesn't actually appear to be the case.

Make sure they have motion data turned on in settings, extras

OMG old WP7 games like Orbital and Dodonpachi Maximum now work with W10!!!

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/games/dodonpachi-maximum/9wzdncrcwm3d

My mind is blown, these were my favorite games.

Finally, now going to download it on my 1020.

I am sorry but those of you that said the bug in 950 is no big deal, it really is for a platform that is in need of a boost. I can't get someone to switch to Windows Phone if their experience is worst than the platform they are leaving.

Van said, Google update suck and constantly breaking thing (which is true, it's such a horrible mess and I have my auto update off on my Android) but that doesn't help Windows Phone when their new (and only flagship) come ship in this state. I would be so piss off if video of my daughter music recital turn disappeared because Microsoft can not make reliable camera app. The photo app is still slow, I used to hate Google Photo but the latest update their photo app is probably the better one of the three.

Nobody said the bugs were no big deal.

Sorry, but that how I read it that the bugs were par the course for Windows Phone and it should just be accepted. I feel like Windows Phone is going backward instead of forward with the constant restart of the OS. I agree with most of your points but I think at this stage to release product in this shape is a terrible thing.

I play with 950 quite a bit at MS store and really tempted to get it for my wife as she is so used to Windows Phone at this point but I just can't justify the high cost and the lack of app. I am going to see if she can stomach Android with the Nexus 5X, great phone for the price, decent camera and run pure Android Google which I think is most of the problem you are having with your Android because you were running Android with all the crapware on top.

hadareud

The Translator
I think the fact that they are bypassing carriers with updates makes the bugs much less of an issue. The phones have been out for a month and all of the major problems are gone at this stage. And none of the bugs were "crippling".

They released them not a moment too soon imo.

At least you could tell what was a bug and what was a feature. The same cannot be said about all mobile OS's.

edit: btw, the state the phones were released in is a lot better than that of the SP4 is in even now btw. Not pumped enough, I guess.

Well, faith was lost with W10 Mobile. We all saw it coming with the terrible builds they released. They did in fact release a beta product when all previous mobile OS releases were incredibly rock solid before W10.

clav

Sorry, but that how I read it that the bugs were par the course for Windows Phone and it should just be accepted. I feel like Windows Phone is going backward instead of forward with the constant restart of the OS. I agree with most of your points but I think at this stage to release product in this shape is a terrible thing.

I play with 950 quite a bit at MS store and really tempted to get it for my wife as she is so used to Windows Phone at this point but I just can't justify the high cost and the lack of app. I am going to see if she can stomach Android with the Nexus 5X, great phone for the price, decent camera and run pure Android Google which I think is most of the problem you are having with your Android because you were running Android with all the crapware on top.

VanMardigan also thinks rogue apps aren't a thing when people try to help to identify his battery problem.

Well, faith was lost with W10 Mobile. We all saw it coming with the terrible builds they released. They did in fact release a beta product when all previous mobile OS releases were incredibly rock solid before W10.

Windows 10 is still technically in beta, so I'm not surprised at all.

I already have people asking me about the November update and what happened to the computer. Just everything about the releases are so half-baked in terms of informing users what's changed.

No one said this transition would be easy. However there are still some glaring problems on desktop builds, so no one should expect the mobile builds to be polished at all.

For instance, the TH2 bundled skype app is terrible, unstable, and buggy. Absolutely unusable.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
VanMardigan also thinks rogue apps aren't a thing when people try to help to identify his battery problem.

:/ oh come on. I've hard reset more flagship android phones than probably anyone in this or the other android thread. I have over 150 apps on average by the time I've owned an android phone for one month, you think what I want to spend my time on is babying my phone to find out whether an app update or a Google services update is killing my battery/performance? Or should I not install that many apps on my phone? If so, why would I even own an Android phone? You think I didn't try with my G4? I bought a spare battery for crying out loud. Give me a break.

I'm glad all of you are buying android phones, and I cant wait until you've owned them for a while and they turn to shit. Unless you're brot and you install like 3 apps.

Certainly can't disagree that W10 has been a lot of 2 steps forward, 2 steps backward.

JaggedSac

Not sure if this was discussed, but it has been confirmed that MS OS updates will continue on a monthly basis and the carrier will be bypassed. Firmware updates have to go through carrier testing though.

https://forums.att.com/t5/Windows-Phone/lumia-950-Firmware-update/td-p/4724139

ATTMobilityCare
Dec 26, 2015 12:02:34 PM
Community Support

Hi @shyg360!

You can stay up to date on all software releases for your device here.

The 950 will be receiving monthly WaaS (Windows as a Service) updates, and the latest one released on December 8th (Build Version 10.0.10586.29.) These updates are not certified by AT&T, and will be delivered via Microsoft over-the-air. A Wi-Fi connection is required. From the App List, scroll down and tap Settings > Phone Update > Check for Update.

Thanks!

Alison

I remember when we were all upset that MS treated Mobile like a red headed stepchild and we all wanted Mobile to get the same attention as Windows. Well, it's integrated now and while there are plenty of growing pains, the OS monthly updates and word of universal apps catching some traction (Parrot, SiriusXM) are a step in the right direction.

I think getting Google to develop universal apps would be huge. Seriously Google, you got enough Android activations, get your services now in the Windows Store.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I hope they rekindle android app emulation for the 4-5 apps I need. Some WP 8.1 apps aren't running great on w10 anyway, so I wouldn't need perfect performance on my alarm system app.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I remember when we were all upset that MS treated Mobile like a red headed stepchild and we all wanted Mobile to get the same attention as Windows. Well, it's integrated now and while there are plenty of growing pains, the OS monthly updates and word of universal apps catching some traction (Parrot, SiriusXM) are a step in the right direction.

I think getting Google to develop universal apps would be huge. Seriously Google, you got enough Android activations, get your services now in the Windows Store.

Google knows WP would be their direct competitor if their user base grows. Top tier market is locked with iPhone and high end Android phones but low end and mid range isn't. I can see WP taking off in those two if all the apps are available.

MCD

What the?

Saving pics in MS Edge mobile is...weird. It's like I'm using a PC lol.

Why isn't there a quick Save picture option instead of Save as only?

I'm so close of dropping Windows 10. Can't update apps, Edge crashes, sometimes I can't open certain apps.

But Windows 8.1 is so meh after getting a taste of 10. Damnit!

NeOak

I'm so close of dropping Windows 10. Can't update apps, Edge crashes, sometimes I can't open certain apps.

But Windows 8.1 is so meh after getting a taste of 10. Damnit!
Do you have an SD card?

Do a hard reset without the SD card and get the store to update first by pausing all the updates and then manually choosing the store.

What the?

Saving pics in MS Edge mobile is...weird. It's like I'm using a PC lol.

Why isn't there a quick Save picture option instead of Save as only?

Yeah this is one of my least favorite things about Edge on mobile. Too many steps to save a single picture.

hadareud

The Translator
Mobile Edge (as well as desktop Edge) still needs a lot of work in general.

Gestures, a decent start/blank page, extensions, text input fix etc.

Mobile Edge (as well as desktop Edge) still needs a lot of work in general.

Gestures, a decent start/blank page, extensions, text input fix etc.

Yeah, it needs some redesign/revisions.

Bookmarks Bar, for example. On desktop, it's basically quick access to favorites. Since you can now sync Edge across devices, I was initially excited--but it takes *three* taps to even GET to the Bookmarks Bar folder(???) in Edge mobile.

joshschw

Agree on Edge issues with everyone.

Day to day annoyance number one is not having a favorites button instead of tabs. I do not use mobile tabs...

Two is the saving pics thing.

Third is the rest... I will say that if you root and install an ad blocker Edge power usage goes way down and it simply flies. I hope they build this in for regular users...

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I like edge, it's fast and more reliable than IE. Once they update with extensions, it'll be one of the best mobile browsers out there. I fondly recall the chromium browser I used right before I sold my G4, lightning fast and with ad block.

Novocaine

I like Edge too, both mobile and PC. But I had to sacrifice a lot of functionality that i was getting from Chrome. But Edge just makes everything look that much nicer that it's worth it (for now)

L O L at the sad state of in-car integration for Windows Phone. Even Uvo, powered by Microsoft, has no app. Just an embarrassing situation to be in.

ElNino

L O L at the sad state of in-car integration for Windows Phone. Even Uvo, powered by Microsoft, has no app. Just an embarrassing situation to be in.
Curious what integration would useful with WP (or any OS really). My wife's iPhone has some integration with our Nissan, but I don't think she's ever downloaded the app to connect it.

On my WP I get texts read out, calls (obviously) and audio over Bluetooth. I can also dictate texts or other requests to Cortana. It's as useful as I can imagine a phone would be in a car, so I'm genuinely curious what else could be done. I guess the only thing I could think of would be native control of Groove through the car dashboard, but I can't see that being all that useful while driving since you wouldn't want to fiddle with it while in motion (if the car even lets you).

Top Bottom