• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

hadareud

The Translator
har har, that's not actually what happened in the slightest.

Can't you use Steam Guard with email authentication instead of iOS/Android app authentication?

Yes you can, it's what I'm using.

Not in the slightest is as much an overstatement as my joke, you could say btw.

Novocaine

Happy New Year WP gaf! Welcome to 2016, Aka the Year of the Surface Phone.

Also, this is the year w10 mobile goes gold-get hyped!

Well, Lumia maybe dead in favor of Surface Phone.

Is this just speculation or the real deal? There's a chance the 950 will be releasing this month with my phone provider. I'd rather hold onto my 640 if a Surface phone is in the works rather than take a 2 year contract with the 950.

JaggedSac

They are definitely going to make a new phone this year, Panay will definitely be in charge. Only question is what form it will take? Will they care about the camera or will it just be a stab at the business market? Will most likely be an x64 phone. Even Apple is headed that way.

MCD

this year could very well mean dec. 2016. Either get a cheap 640 to tide you over or get the 950. the waiting game is not worth it. trust me, I'm a windows phone owner.

derFeef

I need 950 case recommendations. Flipcases are all ugly and look like leather, which I do not want.

Also the Facebook (W10) app is really not good regarding notifications....

Nero3000

They are definitely going to make a new phone this year, Panay will definitely be in charge. Only question is what form it will take? Will they care about the camera or will it just be a stab at the business market? Will most likely be an x64 phone. Even Apple is headed that way.

Are they?

Intel doesn't license x86/64 anymore (look at nvidia) and I don't see apple giving up their a-line of processor capabilities.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Anybody that got that free Continuum dock from the offer and doesn't want it, I'm willing to pay for it if you give me a decent price.

JaggedSac

Are they?

Intel doesn't license x86/64 anymore (look at nvidia) and I don't see apple giving up their a-line of processor capabilities.

Can't remember where I read it but apparently Intel hired massively for their mobile chipset and were expected to be in the 2016 iPhones.

n64coder

Anybody that got that free Continuum dock from the offer and doesn't want it, I'm willing to pay for it if you give me a decent price.

I got the 950 XL last weekend and I haven't been able to get the dock yet. The Lumia Offers app keeps saying that I need to be on 8.1 or newer OS. Has anyone been able to resolve this?

Otherwise, I'm enjoying the phone. Battery life is great. I do like the Windows 10 look-and-feel. I really like the integrated mail inbox and the swipe to delete/archive feature. Groove Music looks great.

kharma45

Can't remember where I read it but apparently Intel hired massively for their mobile chipset and were expected to be in the 2016 iPhones.

I can't imagine anything other than an ARM based A10 iPhone this autumn. Theyre not going to write a second version of iOS and maintain two phone code bases.

Paganmoon

I got the 950 XL last weekend and I haven't been able to get the dock yet. The Lumia Offers app keeps saying that I need to be on 8.1 or newer OS. Has anyone been able to resolve this?

Otherwise, I'm enjoying the phone. Battery life is great. I do like the Windows 10 look-and-feel. I really like the integrated mail inbox and the swipe to delete/archive feature. Groove Music looks great.

Tried updating thr Lumia Offers app?

n64coder

Tried updating thr Lumia Offers app?

No updates available and I've already tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it. I'm not the only one with this issue seeing the other reviews.

Over at Windows Central, someone posted this:

I have a working theory that Lumia app does not like the newest firmware
01078.00027.15506.020xx
as the app worked fine for my old 950xl that wold not install that firmware

this is why a lot NEW purchased phones get the "Wrong Operating System" error message

Valkyria

Banned
It's been tow years since I became a Windows Phone user with my Lumia 630. Right now I'm really tired of the state of the system. The apps are not only not coming but going away because the lack of updates and my phone is starting to show the lack of ram with only 512, amount that was more than enough when it released.

I'm at a crossroads, the foundation of the OS is really awesome, but the apps are not there, and if I wanted to upgrade I can only chose between the much expensive 950 and the cheap 550 with more ram but crappy camera. I'm thinking about moving to IOS, but goddamn those prices. I truly didn't enjoy my experience with android and I believe the OS is flawed by the lack of integration that WP has and so does IOS.

I betted on Microsoft but it seems that they no longer want to fight in the mobile space. any piece of advice GAF?

MCD

It's been tow years since I became a Windows Phone user with my Lumia 630. Right now I'm really tired of the state of the system. The apps are not only not coming but going away because the lack of updates and my phone is starting to show the lack of ram with only 512, amount that was more than enough when it released.

I'm at a crossroads, the foundation of the OS is really awesome, but the apps are not there, and if I wanted to upgrade I can only chose between the much expensive 950 and the cheap 550 with more ram but crappy camera. I'm thinking about moving to IOS, but goddamn those prices. I truly didn't enjoy my experience with android and I believe the OS is flawed by the lack of integration that WP has and so does IOS.

I betted on Microsoft but it seems that they no longer want to fight in the mobile space. any piece of advice GAF?

Go Android. You got plenty of options over there and all the MS apps as well. You can always come back later whenever MS get their shit together.

Suerte

Go Android. You got plenty of options over there and all the MS apps as well. You can always come back later whenever MS get their shit together.

I'd agree with this - I moved to Android (Nexus 6P) in December after being on WP for over three years and I really haven't regretted the decision at all.

The OS isn't as visually appealing/user friendly, but it's just as fluid/responsive although I assume this will be vary depending what phone/manufacturer you go with. Plus the MS apps I've used so far have all been on par, if not better, than they are on WP.

Valkyria

Banned
I don't know if many things have changed on Android 5, because on 4 I could not deal with things like the inability to move apps between internal memory and the sd card. Also the system as time goes by becomes more unusable. It really took me back to the times of Windows 98.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I don't know if many things have changed on Android 5, because on 4 I could not deal with things like the inability to move apps between internal memory and the sd card. Also the system as time goes by becomes more unusable. It really took me back to the times of Windows 98.

Those issues with stability over time are still there, version 6 fixes the sd card issue but many manufacturers were moving away from sd cards, maybe that will change.

I'd agree with this - I moved to Android (Nexus 6P) in December after being on WP for over three years and I really haven't regretted the decision at all.

The OS isn't as visually appealing/user friendly, but it's just as fluid/responsive although I assume this will be vary depending what phone/manufacturer you go with. Plus the MS apps I've used so far have all been on par, if not better, than they are on WP.

How have you found the camera on the 6P? I'm worried about the lack of image optical stabilization.

JaggedSac

You'll probably be happier with iOS.

Had a friend with the Note 5 complain about this same issue this weekend. Windows does have it's hitches here and there but I don't think I could deal with stability issues. He's an Uber driver and unable to keep more than his Uber app and maps open otherwise his device becomes unstable/crashes. Even a Windows Phone 8 device will treat you better than that.

One complaint I have though. I'm on T-Mobile with the 950 XL and I'm unable to send texts with pictures attached. Not sure why. Some suggested it could be my APN settings so I tried settings from here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/windowsphon...settings_with/

and here:
https://apn.gishan.net/settings/1251...mia_950_xl.php

Neither works.

Suerte

How have you found the camera on the 6P? I'm worried about the lack of image optical stabilization.

It's great! I was slightly worried about the lack of OIS too, but its low-light performance is fantastic and better than my Lumia 830 (which was really good as well). However, I haven't really used the camera for video much, so I'd imagine that's where OIS makes the biggest difference.

It's great! I was slightly worried about the lack of OIS too, but its low-light performance is fantastic and better than my Lumia 830 (which was really good as well). However, I haven't really used the camera for video much, so I'd imagine that's where OIS makes the biggest difference.

Thanks.

So lol these picture sorting issues I'm having on my Lumia 920 on 8.1
Now any pictures I take sort under December 2015, above a separate 12/24-12/29 sub-category it made. I guess this is what happens when the last AT&T update is from 2014. Anyone ever dealt with this before?

NeOak

I see you use smile.amazon.com, ny wife just got me to use that for her school.
Been using it for a while
That seems good, need to find it here around. thanks!
It is!
You'll probably be happier with iOS.
Yup. Android will make him mad.
I had a similar case which was nice but I hated the fact that it covered the buttons. It was hard to differentiate between the power and volume buttons. I specifically looked for a case with the buttons cut out for that reason.
This one has no problems with the buttons.
Also, it's a small step from TUDIA to TURDIA.

They ought to choose a better name.
lol

hadareud

The Translator
This better get some developers onboard, or else:

Windows Store sees Dramatic Growth in 2015, Creating Opportunities for Developers

A major investment in Windows 10 is delivering one platform that enables developers to reach the breadth of Windows 10 devices – across PC, tablet, phone, and more – with a single app and a single Windows Store. The new Windows Store has storefronts for both consumers and organizations, with new promotional surfaces to help people discover and acquire content. This approach is beginning to gain traction with 3 billion visits to the new Store and more universal apps becoming available for Windows 10, including Netflix, NPR, Pandora, Shazam, TuneIn Radio, Twitter, Uber, Wall Street Journal, 1-800-Flowers, and more. Top developers are also releasing new games to the Windows Store including Minecraft: Story Mode – a Telltale Game Series and World of Tanks Blitz, with more new titles coming in early 2016, such as Rise of the Tomb Raider. These developers see the opportunity hundreds of millions of customers present – and we’re just getting started.
The new Windows Store has seen:

2x increase in the number of paid transactions from PC and tablet customers this holiday season.
In December alone, 60% of paying customer were new to the Store.
In December, Windows 10 generated more than a 4.5x increase in revenue per device, as compared to Windows 8

(from the 200 million W10 devices announcement https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...ver-200-million-devices/#.VoqUqEFKsQI.twitter)

edit: it's all 'appening:

The first Windows 10 phones, the Lumia 950 and Lumia 950 XL are now available worldwide and off to a great start, with initial demand outstripping our supply. We’re working actively to resupply the many stores which ran out of initial stock.

They sold dozens of them (literally)!

JaggedSac

Sounds like they went at it the smart way. Produce a smaller amount with decent margins to avoid a Surface RT situation. Won't win them market share, but they have given up on that at this point.

MCD

Windows 10 store is still filled with garbage.

We need better apps stat. Flood it with the billion x86 apps already.

JaggedSac

Windows 10 store is still filled with garbage.

We need better apps stat. Flood it with the billion x86 apps already.

That will come. But it won't be a flood since development has to be done to make it work. Which means most won't care to do it. Maybe big business apps would.

What's funny about the "omg, Windows 10 Store!" news is that most new apps that have been released as UWP apps are from partners who already had apps in the store. What the store needs is new content, developers and partners.

har har, that's not actually what happened in the slightest.

Can't you use Steam Guard with email authentication instead of iOS/Android app authentication?
Yes you can, it's what I'm using.

Not in the slightest is as much an overstatement as my joke, you could say btw.

An authentication code via email is not valid for trading on Steam. At least not if you don't want your items to be on hold.

Why are trade holds necessary?

Trade holds protect your items. Because Steam accounts are valuable, especially if they have items worth stealing. If you haven't protected your account with a physical device (using the Steam Guard Mobile Authenticator), a trade hold will give you time to discover your account has been compromised and to prevent items from leaving your account.

We needed to create our own two-factor authenticator because we need to show users the contents of the trade on a separate device and have them confirm it there. Requiring users to take a code from a generic authenticator and enter it into a hijacked PC to confirm a trade meant that hackers could trick them into trading away items they didn't intend to. This basically made it impossible to use a generic third party authenticator, such as Google Authenticator, to confirm trades.

This means that anyone using the Steam Guard Mobile Authenticator to confirm trades is able to continue trading as always. Users who haven't enabled it, or can't, can still trade, but they'll have to wait up to 3 days for the trade to go through. This gives both Steam and users the time to discover their accounts have been hacked and recover it before the hackers can steal their items.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8078-TPHC-6195
http://store.steampowered.com/news/19618/

Why isn't there a Steam app lol? That 3% struggle. There's an unofficial authenticator in the Store though. I haven't used it, but it should work for whatever everyone else already does.

I'm not going to use an unofficial app for my Steam account.

I'm pretty sure Brot knows that :-/

<3

Been using it for a while

It is!

Yup. Android will make him mad.

This one has no problems with the buttons.

lol

I'm sorry to say that is the exact case I bought for the XL. I even considered making a project of it and cutting out button holes myself. Great case but covered buttons here is a major flaw.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
What's funny about the "omg, Windows 10 Store!" news is that most new apps that have been released as UWP apps are from partners who already had apps in the store. What the store needs is new content, developers and partners.

This is true, and what's worse is that most of the UWP apps do not perform better or have great new features when compared to their wp8 counterparts other than Continuum support. Now granted, Continuum support is actually very cool and is a key differentiating feature, but it would be nice if the apps also demonstrated new features and improved performance.

Netflix UWP on mobile is going to be a big addition because of the usefulness to Continuum users, but it's going to require seeing new apps to signal that there is renewed interest, and I haven't sensed a meaningful shift. There is also some weirdness happening with big players like twitter and Netflix having great desktop UWP apps and not publishing the mobile version.

joshschw

This is true, and what's worse is that most of the UWP apps do not perform better or have great new features when compared to their wp8 counterparts other than Continuum support. Now granted, Continuum support is actually very cool and is a key differentiating feature, but it would be nice if the apps also demonstrated new features and improved performance.

Netflix UWP on mobile is going to be a big addition because of the usefulness to Continuum users, but it's going to require seeing new apps to signal that there is renewed interest, and I haven't sensed a meaningful shift. There is also some weirdness happening with big players like twitter and Netflix having great desktop UWP apps and not publishing the mobile version.

Wow, I disagree. The new apps seem to perform worlds better than the old ones...

Can't say I agree with this, the UWP apps I've used have been pretty dramatic improvements over their win 8 counterparts in several areas including performance, design, and inclusion of features previously not possible in the old sdk (stuff like native support for GIFs).

Total fair point that so far the support is mostly devs that supported 8/8.1 tho.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Agreed based on my experience with News, Groove, and Outlook. Still feeling my around the new phone and Windows 10 OS.

Don't know if it's device specific (or sd card related), but News is slow/laggy and Groove really isn't any better than the old zune app performance wise. Signing in alone takes too long. Outlook is fantastic tho, won't argue with that one.

So, I'd like to know what apps you guys are using that are appreciably better. I don't notice an improvement in load times and responsiveness compared to the better wp8.1 apps. And definitely nothing that compares to the "instant" and rock solid feeling of top tier android/iOS apps.

joshschw

Don't know if it's device specific (or sd card related), but News is slow/laggy and Groove really isn't any better than the old zune app performance wise. Signing in alone takes too long. Outlook is fantastic tho, won't argue with that one.

So, I'd like to know what apps you guys are using that are appreciably better. I don't notice an improvement in load times and responsiveness compared to the better wp8.1 apps. And definitely nothing that compares to the "instant" and rock solid feeling of top tier android/iOS apps.

Well the SD card thing is certainly hurting you... What phone btw? Make sure you get an actual high end SD card if you have to use it for apps. Otherwise definitely keep apps on internal storage if possible.

ALL the UWP apps I have tried seem loads faster than anything ever did on WP8/8.1... The built ins are super fast, (News, Weather, etc...). All the UWP games I have tried perform and load much faster. Facebook is not screaming fast but it absolutely is compared to the old one, which never could even scroll smoothly. Pandora is also awesome. Don't know what to tell you, I am going through my apps list and every slower one is an old app, and the faster ones are all UWP apps. Ha!

MCD

Groove is leagues better than Xbox Music simply for the fact that it no longer skips music, pauses like crazy or just act INSANE for no reason.

One bad Universal app is Reddit. It's soooo slow to resume and just hate the new comments UI.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Just opened the News app, 5 seconds to see content on the screen, installed on SD. Weather app took 4-5 seconds, installed internally. That's just not fast, that's not competitive.

Edit: I didn't compare Groove to Xbox music, I compared it to Zune music.

Top Bottom