• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

dLMN8R

I've been exclusively using bluetooth headphones for a while now since you can get a decent pair for really cheap ($20-30) on Amazon these days, but I wouldn't buy a phone without a headphone jack for a while. It has too many convenient uses, for whether my Bluetooth headphone battery is dead or I want to plug in to some A/V receiver or otherwise.

I've been exclusively using bluetooth headphones for a while now since you can get a decent pair for really cheap ($20-30) on Amazon these days, but I wouldn't buy a phone without a headphone jack for a while. It has too many convenient uses, for whether my Bluetooth headphone battery is dead or I want to plug in to some A/V receiver or otherwise.
Yeah same boat. I use bluetooth audio in my car, the gym, work, etc, but occasionally I like to pull out my over the ear Senn headphones with my headphone amp and listen to music.

That seems.. unusual? Also a whole lot of app updates, 2 pages even.

edit: yup, something is messed up, it's updating (and/or failing) the same apps over and over again.

This happened to a few weeks ago. Only a hard reset/ clean restore fixed the problem for me.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
If they pull out the headphone jack, would they just put an antenna in the phones for local FM radio? It's a niche feature, but I like it since many of my local stations don't stream.

joshschw

I can't fathom how having another device to charge - wireless headphones - is more convenient. Let alone, buying new ones, and lower quality audio.

The option to use Bluetooth audio already exists so let us keep the AUX jack for those who like things more simple.

dLMN8R

I'm just hoping that wireless headphones get wireless charging soon. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple finally introduces wireless charging in the iPhone 7 or 7S and also uses it to charge accessories.

The worst part about charging my Bluetooth headphones is that the micro USB port cover is practically impossible to open.

I'm just hoping that wireless headphones get wireless charging soon. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple finally introduces wireless charging in the iPhone 7 or 7S and also uses it to charge accessories.

The worst part about charging my Bluetooth headphones is that the micro USB port cover is practically impossible to open.

It would be great if they could be arsed with using an existing standard, but sadly it's highly unlikely.

clav

I'll stick to wired.

Unless wireless headphones have a AA battery equivalent, I'm not changing my habits.

Stick to user accessible compartments.

joshschw

Well, my 1520 touchscreen issues get worse and worse. After being perfect until two weeks ago, it's been particularly upsetting.

Phone is not usable when they are happening - I do get reprieves from them.

Not excited about it, but I ordered a One M8. Phones just aren't worth $500-$600 to me, so 950-series was just not an option.

Make me excited about this. plz :(

I would think that's a tougher shape for wireless charging to work properly.
Can't you just remove the cover permanently?

JaggedSac

They would have to go to a plastic case to allow wireless charging right?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Not excited about it, but I ordered a One M8. Phones just aren't worth $500-$600 to me, so 950-series was just not an option.

It's a fantastic phone with one of the worst cameras ever on a flagship device. If you don't care about taking pictures, you'll love it. I used one last year and enjoyed the day to day, one of the more stable android phones out there.

Edit: Oh, you mean the windows phone version? If so, I have no idea aside from the fact that the speakers, screen, and build are top notch.

joshschw

It's a fantastic phone with one of the worst cameras ever on a flagship device. If you don't care about taking pictures, you'll love it. I used one last year and enjoyed the day to day, one of the more stable android phones out there.

I definitely ordered the Windows version though :)

Yeah, I am not thrilled about the camera. I can be a big picture taker, but at this point I can barely even take a picture on my 1520 because it just focuses in the corner.

Thanks. I know the hardware seems solid.

JaggedSac

I definitely ordered the Windows version though :)

Yeah, I am not thrilled about the camera. I can be a big picture taker, but at this point I can barely even take a picture on my 1520 because it just focuses in the corner.

Thanks. I know the hardware seems solid.

Edit: Oh, you mean the windows phone version? If so, I have no idea aside from the fact that the speakers, screen, and build are top notch.

I've got the M8 for Windows. As Van said, the camera is garbage, but everything else runs great. In fact, it seems to run W10 better than everything else since I am not seeing pretty much any of the issues folks on here are seeing with the 950 or 1520, lol.

joshschw

I've got the M8 for Windows. As Van said, the camera is garbage, but everything else runs great. In fact, it seems to run W10 better than everything else since I am not seeing pretty much any of the issues folks on here are seeing with the 950 or 1520, lol.

Awesome! Thanks!

I love my 1520. I love that over 2 years after it was released I still regularly have people asking about it (no case). It's just.... So good.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Man I can't wait for some flagship phone leaks to come out. Can they keep it 100% secret like the Surface Book until their event? That would be nuts.

Paganmoon

I know I posted about it the other day, but the battery life on my 950 is amazing since the firmware update.

I last charged it around 27 hours ago, now it's on 33% after relatively extensive use including around 2 hours of Waze.

Anyone else seeing a significant increase since the update?
Hmm, I think I need that firmware. 5 hours ofuse and at 43% atm.
Hope it comes OTA soon.

Will be back to mainline wp by this evening! Woot!

Which one are you getting?

Sidenote, any experience jank with the keyboard, when selecting suggestions it sometimes doesn't auto add a space after the word selected.

Are having issues now?

Regardless, lets keep pretending I didn't own an s6 edge and a Note 4 prior to the G4. 2015 was the year of Android for me, it did not go well. I obviously liked a lot about the platform or else I wouldn't have bought 3 separate flagship phones for it in one year. I think I would still be on Android if I had gotten an M9, but camera is very important to me and that's the one area HTC just can't get right.
It was just temporary because of Google Chrome and System update they like to do that break things. I have since stop automate app update from Play Store. I know we want Microsoft to separate out all the OS components for faster update but sometimes this just cause problems.

derFeef

So who is using Hello? I think I will ditch it - the distance is disappointing and often it's a struggle :( I am using improve every day and in every condition, but that does not help with the distance problem.

Paganmoon

So who is using Hello? I think I will ditch it - the distance is disappointing and often it's a struggle :( I am using improve every day and in every condition, but that does not help with the distance problem.
After a tip I got here it's working much better for me. Look towards the camera when unlocking at the hitrate increases immensely.

hadareud

The Translator
Yes, looking in the camera helps, but they really have to improve the distance and speed.

At the moment it's no quicker than entering a PIN, that needs to change.

The LG G5 is rumored to have an iris scanner, too, but fingerprint readers embedded into the screen, that's the future. Anything else is garbage.

Phone will have to leak. Eventually it has to leave Microsoft hands.

You don't see iPhone leaks from the FCC or carrier partners. It's always from the supply chain these days and with the low volume that Microsoft is producing their devices (compared to Apple), I'd say that they have a good chance to keep at least the first phone all wrapped up until the reveal.

I mean, no one has even seen a single button of the Surface Book, before the reveal and even if we had dubious rumors about a Microsoft laptop, there was no mention of the detachable screen (iirc).

hadareud

The Translator
I think an Iris or face scanner that works from a meter or more in less than a second would be the best solution. Like the one on the SP4.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I am already doing that, it's quick, but as I said, the distance is the killer here.

Set it so your pin isn't required every time, like a 5 or 10 minute interval. That way you can swipe up on the lock screen even if Hello is looking for you and bypass it. If you use your phone a lot that's the best option. I end up using Hello only a handful of times per day, so the distance thing isn't as annoying.

Paganmoon

Thing about iris scanner is, sometimes I'm about to unlock with pin from habit, not even looking at the camera, and it unlocks before I get to the last digit. Weirds me out.

And the keyboard jank seems to be mostly when it suggest "I". When I've used a suggestion before it. Seems to miss the space more times than not in those cases.

hwalker84

You don't see iPhone leaks from the FCC or carrier partners. It's always from the supply chain these days and with the low volume that Microsoft is producing their devices (compared to Apple), I'd say that they have a good chance to keep at least the first phone all wrapped up until the reveal.

I mean, no one has even seen a single button of the Surface Book, before the reveal and even if we had dubious rumors about a Microsoft laptop, there was no mention of the detachable screen (iirc).

I never stated the FCC or carrier partners. I just said eventually it has to leave Microsoft's hands. Phone are much harder to keep under wraps than Laptops or tablets.

ElNino

The Lumia 950 really doesn't have a super sensitive screen, huh?
What a downgrade.
I think it does.
I don't think it does, at least my XL sure doesn't seem to have it.

I honestly miss this the most from my 1020, as now that winter is here I often used my phone with gloves on. When snowboarding, I used to use my phone while riding up the lift, but having to take my gloves off now will make that more challenging. I have glove liners that are supposed to be smartphone friendly, but they don't work as well as the super sensitive touch did.

JaggedSac

On the 1020, you had to turn that on specifically. Is the option not there in settings?

That is a bit humorous though. Fingerprint scanner means you have to remove gloves to use. Iris scanner means you can still use gloves, but sensitive screen is gone so you have to take them off to use phone anyway, lol.

NeOak

They removed it from the specs, it was definitely listed pre-release.

It doesn't work with gloves right now.
That explains

On the 1020, you had to turn that on specifically. Is the option not there in settings?

That is a bit humorous though. Fingerprint scanner means you have to remove gloves to use. Iris scanner means you can still use gloves, but sensitive screen is gone so you have to take them off to use phone anyway, lol.
No, there are no settings on the 950 for it. My 1520 with the insider does have it.

ElNino

As would I. Iris scanning I feel is more suited to something in the home rather than something out and about.
I'd have to agree. I use Windows Hello on my Surface Book and it works great, and is very practical as I don't need to do anything different than normal for it to sign me in.

On the phone, when I used it last at least, I needed to hold it way closer than normal for it work. It was pretty quick, and it worked almost every time, but it wasn't practical for normal day-to-day use since you had to hold it so close. If they can get it to work from a normal distance I'd probably use it.

hwalker84

Why can't the phone have both?

JaggedSac

Why can't the phone have both?

Both is actually best for security. In fact, throw a heart rate monitor for liveliness testing on the fingerprint scanner to make it pretty much impenetrable. Hell, make someone walk around and talk so that it can also capture your gait and voice print, lol.

Edit: Think I misunderstood. Are you asking why they can't have both an iris scanner and super sensitive screen? No idea.

Top Bottom