• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

n64coder

I just noticed today that Swype/Edge in Windows 10 does not work well with GAF mobile. Anyone else has this issue?

What happens is that it seems that every other swiped word will show up. Otherwise, it is dropped like I didn't type anything.

hwalker84

Both is actually best for security. In fact, throw a heart rate monitor for liveliness testing on the fingerprint scanner to make it pretty much impenetrable. Hell, make someone walk around and talk so that it can also capture your gait and voice print, lol.

Edit: Think I misunderstood. Are you asking why they can't have both an iris scanner and super sensitive screen? No idea.

No you didn't misunderstand. I was commenting on the second part. The phone could have an iris scanner and fingerprint. Combine that with super sensitive touch please and we're golden.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I just noticed today that Swype/Edge in Windows 10 does not work well with GAF mobile. Anyone else has this issue?

What happens is that it seems that every other swiped word will show up. Otherwise, it is dropped like I didn't type anything.

The keyboard does not work well in Edge overall, something that needs to be worked on ASAP.

Edit: I really like the render that windows central used in their lumia 650 article. I wish the 950 looked like that.

Edit: I really like the render that windows central used in their lumia 650 article. I wish the 950 looked like that.

Windows 10 Mobile
Colors: Matte White or Matte Black
5-inch 720p display
Snapdragon 212 processor
1GB of RAM
8GB of storage with micro SD expansion
5MP front-facing camera; 8MP rear with LED flash
No wireless charging

Doesn't make that the 640 a better phone? Are they actually trying to improve the successors to their previous devices?

joshschw

Windows 10 Mobile
5-inch 720p display
Snapdragon 212 processor
1GB of RAM
No wireless charging

Doesn't make that the 640 a better phone? Are they actually trying to improve the successors to their previous devices?

They are extremely similar - Snapdragon 400 vs 212
https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon/processors/212
https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon/processors/400

Though I definitely agree. 212 is meant for low budget - not for a 6xx series, midrange device. This 650 should be a Snapdragon 412
EDIT: or the 425 or even 430, if they're out. I didn't realize just how many there were.

Klocker

Windows 10 Mobile
5-inch 720p display
Snapdragon 212 processor
1GB of RAM
No wireless charging

yea I'm stilt trying to figure how its better at that price than $69 640

Still not entirely sure why but I bought a 950. It doesn't want to import contacts from my outlook account. Is this broken or am I missing something?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Hmm, all of a sudden, my Office apps are telling me I can't edit without an Office 365 sub....which I have. I already restarted the phone, any other ideas?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Hard reset. It's the windows phone cure all.

Hell na, lol. But anyway, it fixed itself.

Flying to Denver tomorrow, I think I'm going to pop into the MS store there and pick up a Continuum Dock since none of you dudes who got it for free wants to sell it off at a discount to me.

I'll also get a Band 2, I gave my Android Wear watch to my wife since it actually works with her iPhone.

Fuzyfrog

So is there anyway to get WP10 to talk to a Mac yet?

8.1 worked fine with the Microsoft app but stopped working after about the second WP10 build. So I deleted it and now Microsoft have removed it from download.

Anyway to link my phone to my mac to copy music across??? atm im just using onedrive to sync but my upload is slow and its frustrating

joshschw

First impressions of this HTC One are not good. Screen colors are terrible and you can't adjust it like you can on Lumia's.
Scrolling is so much slower than on my 1520 too.

Camera is abysmal. Phone gets hot!

I'll give it a bit more time but right now it is going back, if possible (eBay). I'll deal with the messed up touch screen over this thing.

Edit: What IS interesting is that it is noticeably faster than my 1520 at loading, smoothness, etc... They are pretty much identical specwise, 801 is just a bit higher clocked 800 CPU
Edit2: It can also record 1080p/60fps. Interesting.

Edit3: The performance differences are pretty wild! I can just scroll and scroll in Facebook Beta on the One M8 and it's a steady stream. My 1520 goes blank/grey spaces when I do this.

n64coder

Hard reset. It's the windows phone cure all.

Hard reset. Is that where you wipe the phone out and restore from backup?

I'm having trouble with the Groove App. It comes up and exits immediately. I tried powering it off and on again but same issue. I don't see any way to uninstall App. So I guess hard reset might be my only option left?

hwalker84

Hard reset. Is that where you wipe the phone out and restore from backup?

I'm having trouble with the Groove App. It comes up and exits immediately. I tried powering it off and on again but same issue. I don't see any way to uninstall App. So I guess hard reset might be my only option left?
Honestly wait a few days it may just randomly fix itself. If not.... Hard Reset BABY!!!! (Yes the one where you wipe the phone out and restore from backup).

derFeef

Is there a universal podcast app that syncs played time etc between devices?

I might also need a new SD card, editing photos takes a bit too long.

ElNino

Finally got the Mozo case for my XL from Mobile Fun. I don't have the cracking issues that the people on Windows Central have, but I've also only had it on for the weekend so we'll see how it holds up.

The leather seems to be decent quality considering that it is only a thin layer and provides a bit better grip on the phone, but I wonder if the black or white versions would be better for that (I got the brown). Despite the frame only being a metallic coating, it does feel solid once installed. The power button is slightly more recessed than the volume keys, and it does feel slightly "mushy", but I think the buttons overall feel a bit better than the stock shell.

The phone feels much thinner and lighter than it did with my Incipio case, and I'm sure it wouldn't hold up as well to a drop, but I'll go with it for now. I does feel more "premium" to me, for what it's worth.

joshschw

One day old HTC One M8 wih newest build impressions:

It's sleek and fast and I love that part of it. I actually lowered the scaling to 250% so it displays like my 1520 did, just a bit smaller.

Onscreen nav buttons aren't as annoying as I thought they'd be, I kinda like them at times actually, but on this particular phone there's a big bar where you can tell the designers planned to put hardware ones so it's a bit confusing at times.

The super blueish screen is so annoying... Why is something like the color calibration a Lumia-exclusive thing, that kind of stuff should in the OS, not a special Lumia app....

I have some faults with the phone itself, but my idea was to focus on the OS on a different piece of hardware.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I like my G4 well enough, but I kinda regret getting it. I was just antsy for something new (specifically new hardware, couldn't afford a 950 outright). 95% of the apps i use are on WP. Gah, oh well.

Uber doesn't load on my 830. Phone also still has an issue with the screen freezing and going completely black for a split second. I'm on the latest W10 build btw.

joshschw

Uber doesn't load on my 830. Phone also still has an issue with the screen freezing and going completely black for a split second. I'm on the latest W10 build btw.

Well, you know the drill. it starts with hard and ends with reset.

really though, I can't help with uber, but the Phone app has always been super glitchy on WP in my experience. It's always, going black or freezing for a bit after calls for example.

So, what do you guys think of this concept:

http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-...ks-could-make-it-great-rather-than-acceptable

Other than making all tiles transparent I actually liked every suggestion.

Only really seeing actual ideas in the Action Center. In which case I don't think they are very useful... Who needs download progress in the Action Center? It's pointless and provides no real benefit. Music controls are already in the volume area, or when you turn on phone screen while playing. I suppose it could be added to Action Center as well? I like the translucent.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

Yeah, there's a problem with Uber, I'm not on the latest build, so it's not that. Bad timing, too, since I land in Denver in about 3 hours and I wanted to use Uber to the hotel. Times like these I wish I had kept around an Android phone as a backup, I used to always carry two phones with me everywhere, but I'm just traveling with my 950 on this trip.

Top Bottom