• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

frontieruk

And yet, the YouTube apps we have are better than anything Google has an any other platform.

The banned MS app was the best app available on any platform and google nuked it from high, by promising to run mail support until MS got the mail app up to support the platform google moved their email to.

The point being which has been argued here for for as many OTs there have been for windows phone you need the original apps as not everyone is comfortable putting their details into a 3rd party app and losing their account ala Snapchat.

MCD

Snapchat is huge.

MS will never grab any sales without a proper Snapchat app. Instagram is a big joke too and no, 6tag is not official no matter how good it is.

The banned MS app was the best app available on any platform and google nuked it from high, by promising to run mail support until MS got the mail app up to support the platform google moved their email to.

The point being which has been argued here for for as many OTs there have been for windows phone you need the original apps as not everyone is comfortable putting their details into a 3rd party app and losing their account ala Snapchat.

That's exactly the point. And even if all 3rd party apps were open source (is 6tag? because I still wouldn't trust that fucker), there's no guarantee that people still check the source.

what's wrong with 6tag?

Rudy Hyun handled the data that went through the app through very sketchy means once and got called out for it. That was years ago, but I still like to use that to rag on him.
He also made fun of people pointing out security flaws in his app(s) and then said he was trolling. He's been very smug and cuntish.

But I'm sure he's a great guy and can be trusted, now that he works at Dropbox.

frontieruk

That's exactly the point. And even if all 3rd party apps were open source (is 6tag? because I still wouldn't trust that fucker), there's no guarantee that people still check the source.
No it isn't

what's wrong with 6tag?

Snapchat said:
A third-party application is any application that accesses the Snapchat API, but hasn’t been built and maintained by our company. Given the popularity of Snapchat and the size of our community, it’s no surprise that a cottage industry of app-makers has popped up to provide additional services to Snapchatters. Unfortunately, these applications often ask for Snapchat login credentials and use them to send or receive snaps and access account information.

When you give your login credentials to a third-party application, you’re allowing a developer, and possibly a criminal, to access your account information and send information on your behalf.

It takes time and a lot of resources to build an open and trustworthy third-party application ecosystem. That’s why we haven’t provided a public API to developers and why we prohibit access to the private API we use to provide our service. Don’t get us wrong - we’re excited by the interest in developing for the Snapchat platform - but we’re going to take our time to get it right. Until then, that means any application that isn’t ours but claims to offer Snapchat services violates our Terms of Use and can’t be trusted.

http://blog.snapchat.com/post/99998266095/third-party-applications-and-the-snapchat-api

To cut him some slack, he's responsible for the UWP Dropbox app and seems to be doing a good job. The app as actionable notifications and even supports drag-and-drop from Win32 apps and folders, something not even the W10 mail app supports.

dang its depressing in here

my dad loves his windows phone though
Welcome to Windows Phone. Now you make me feel bad because I am sure this is what my son said to his friends when they ask him to download games and he couldn't because he used Windows Phone.

I got him Nexus 5x this Christmas, he said he was so shock how many apps are missing from Windows store. Though he insisted on keeping his Lumia 920 as back up phone. May be I did raised him properly.

ElNino

Just cracked my first phone screen. So mad at myself since it was avoidable. Fuck :(
Ouch... sorry Schuey, I'm lucky that's never happened to me (knock on wood) but my wife has broken a couple of her iPhone screens.

While I agree that some people are reluctant to use 3rd party apps, we do have really good YouTube apps. Apps that are better than Google because they support features that Google now charges extra for (no ads and offline playback). I never got a chance to use the MS app so I can't comment on how good it was compared to what we already have.
Welcome to Windows Phone. Now you make me feel bad because I am sure this is what my son said to his friends when they ask him to download games and he couldn't because he used Windows Phone.

I got him Nexus 5x this Christmas, he said he was so shock how many apps are missing from Windows store. Though he insisted on keeping his Lumia 920 as back up phone. May be I did raised him properly.
Yeah, I thought about giving my son my old Windows Phones but he is so ingrained into the iOS ecosystem that I'll probably just let him stay there. His mother and him can stick with their iPhones while I will stick with whatever works best for me.

My son does like to use the 1020 though for his photos and videos though. They all acknowledge that it bests there cameras by a country mile and he likes the WP camera editing. All the more reason I want them to add back the missing camera lenses to W10M.

Rudy Hyun handled the data that went through the app through very sketchy means once and got called out for it. That was years ago, but I still like to use that to rag on him.
He also made fun of people pointing out security flaws in his app(s) and then said he was trolling. He's been very smug and cuntish.

But I'm sure he's a great guy and can be trusted, now that he works at Dropbox.
Really? Now I really want an official Instagram app. I have feeling it won't come anytime soon :(

The lack of apps man... Ugh... I want SoundCloud, Spotify, Instagram, a good Facebook app, new Twitter. I still love my Windows Phone but it's a bummer sometimes.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Really? Now I really want an official Instagram app. I have feeling it won't come anytime soon :(

The lack of apps man... Ugh... I want SoundCloud, Spotify, Instagram, a good Facebook app, new Twitter. I still love my Windows Phone but it's a bummer sometimes.

Spotify is available, unless you meant how it's not as good as the iOS version.. 6tag works pretty great for Instagram, don't mind brot and his old grudge. Rudy is a great dev.I use Fenice for Twitter and it's pretty great. I think once we get the mobile version of the WM10 official Twitter client, that will solve a lot of things. Supposedly a new FB and Instagram apps on their way, they need to hurry. I think Snapchat is the biggest problem

Spotify is available, unless you meant how it's not as good as the iOS version.. 6tag works pretty great for Instagram, don't mind brot and his old grudge. Rudy is a great dev.I use Fenice for Twitter and it's pretty great. I think once we get the mobile version of the WM10 official Twitter client, that will solve a lot of things. Supposedly a new FB and Instagram apps on their way, they need to hurry. I think Snapchat is the biggest problem
Spotify is available but the app is old. The official Twitter client is not bad, at all, but once again it's old.

Can't wait to see how Facebook and Instagram turn out to be. I really don't mind them being just a iOS port.

Spotify is available but the app is old. The official Twitter client is not bad, at all, but once again it's old.

Can't wait to see how Facebook and Instagram turn out to be. I really don't mind them being just a iOS port.

The official for Desktop is quite new, it wasn't ported yet to mobile though.

ElNino

Out of curiosity, what does Spotify look like on other platforms? I've only used it on WP, and I don't even use it that much since I have a Groove pass. I've seen some people using it on Android though and it look similar from what I could tell... but I don't know what differences to look for.

Paganmoon

Out of curiosity, what does Spotify look like on other platforms? I've only used it on WP, and I don't even use it that much since I have a Groove pass. I've seen some people using it on Android though and it look similar from what I could tell... but I don't know what differences to look for.

It -looks- similar, though it's missing features on WP. For instance, there is no device sync (add a local file to a playlist on desktop, have that file sync over to your phone through spotify), There also no local file support on WP. You can't control Spotify on other devices with the WP version, and so on.

The official for Desktop is quite new, it wasn't ported yet to mobile though.
Yup and it's ok. Missing some features and tbh I don't see them porting it to mobile.

Paganmoon beat me to it.

That was the state of the app when it launched.

"WithinWindows.com notes 6tag seems to be keeping a copy of public and private videos on its servers and doesn’t encrypt data; it reportedly sends details such as a username and authentication tokens with uploaded content to its servers in France. The app also doesn’t list a privacy policy, which typically reveals how data is uploaded and protected. This is in violation of Windows Phone App Certification Policy 2.8."

I'm sure that is definitely not an issue anymore and he fixed it few days later. But the fact he launched it like that and didn't think it would be an issue is concerning. Not to mention his overall attitude back then.

I spent 3 weeks on Android and the last week on WP and can say that the core OS experience is better on WP. Sure WP lacks apps and the apps it does have are old but I just couldn't take the Android phantom lag anymore. It comes and goes with no rhyme or reason. I'd say it only happens 10-15% of the time but it's really annoying.

I can totally see why many leave for iOS.

My wife still uses my old 1020 cuz she loves the camera and she often uses it case-less. I asked her why and she said it feels good in her hand. Really a shame the 1020 never got a proper all solid polycarbonate follow up. A 1020 with a 5" screen, a smaller camera hump, and updated internals would have been ideal.

I spent 3 weeks on Android and the last week on WP and can say that the core OS experience is better on WP. Sure WP lacks apps and the apps it does have are old but I just couldn't take the Android phantom lag anymore. It comes and goes with no rhyme or reason. I'd say it only happens 10-15% of the time but it's really annoying.

I can totally see why many leave for iOS.

My wife still uses my old 1020 cuz she loves the camera and she often uses it case-less. I asked her why and she said it feels good in her hand. Really a shame the 1020 never got a proper all solid polycarbonate follow up. A 1020 with a 5" screen, a smaller camera hump, and updated internals would have been ideal.

It's not like iOS doesn't lag. my iPad 4 can be a laggy piece of crap, but because it's from 2012, running 2015 software, it's expected for some reason.

No griping yet about the new one handed word flow feature they just added to the iOS version?

I'm waiting for the Android version. I need to test that one first, before I declare Windows Phone as truly dead.

Can't wait to sideload the APK from some totally not shady site, because the keyboard is going to be US only.

frontieruk

I'm waiting for the Android version. I need to test that one first, before I declare Windows Phone as truly dead.

Can't wait to sideload the APK from some totally not shady site, because the keyboard is going to be US only.

Lol I only got cortana as it got added to cyanogen I guess wordflow will too

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Well, the MS store couldn't help me, but I'm not surprised. I got a screen protector on it now, lol. At least it is smooth. Gah, oh well.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
That stinks schuey.

Also, the one handed wordflow keyboard looks like garbage.

Advanced messaging looks sweet tho, hope at&t includes it in the next firmware upgrade.

NeOak

Well, the MS store couldn't help me, but I'm not surprised. I got a screen protector on it now, lol. At least it is smooth. Gah, oh well.

Did the offer you the Microsoft Complete warranty? That covers accidental.

Too late by now, but maybe for the next one.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Did the offer you the Microsoft Complete warranty? That covers accidental.

Too late by now, but maybe for the next one.

That stinks schuey.

Also, the one handed wordflow keyboard looks like garbage.

Advanced messaging looks sweet tho, hope at&t includes it in the next firmware upgrade.

I guess I should be thankful it still works and cracked in probably the best spot it could. I also should have got the complete warranty, they didnt push and I didnt inquire further. Next time. I did get complete on my Band though, lol.

Hey, so seeing that Windows 10 is now on released devices, is Windows 10 Mobile good enough to put on a daily driver device now? I want to throw it on my Lumia 920.

I have W10 on my 830 as a daily driver and it works great. I previously had issues with some apps like Uber not loading but they seem to be resolved now.

MCD

Hey, so seeing that Windows 10 is now on released devices, is Windows 10 Mobile good enough to put on a daily driver device now? I want to throw it on my Lumia 920.

Good after the first day or so. First day expect it to run like crazy backing shit up and updating in the back.

640 here. Most notable issues for me:

- The occasional WhatsApp black screen when resuming.
- Sometimes the start screen disappears or no tile shown. Weird.
- The ultra stupid "save image" function in Edge.
- Edge reloading every damn time you open a new tab or resume one.
- Outlook Calendar live tile is broken. Just a static tile.
- Share function breaks resuming. For instance, say you want to share an article from apps like reddit or next gen reader. You select share, share to WhatsApp and submit. Now when you go back to said apps, it starts from scratch. Shitty WP design.
- Resuming overall sucks. Could be my weak ass phone or W10 being an ass.
- Store was an ass to navigate, install apps and the search was utter broken. It's a bit better now but search overall is ass in the store or even the Maps app.
- Maps app is a good start but depending on where you live, Here or Gmaps might be better but having a decent and native Map experience is better than what they did in WP8 by removing it altogether.

I think that's it for me.

Now wanna know the biggest issue of all? I don't see MS anymore in the phone. Meaning, I don't feel that MS is supporting it as they did back in the WP7 or 8 days. Feels like an afterthought. Just a side project.

JaggedSac

- Maps app is a good start but depending on where you live, Here or Gmaps might be better but having a decent and native Map experience is better than what they did in WP8 by removing it altogether.

Think the maps app uses HERE data. I mean if you go to settings and scroll all the way down you see HERE copyright text, terms of use, and privacy statement. Think it is actually just the old HERE app taken over by MS and made a UWP.

Think the maps app uses HERE data. I mean if you go to settings and scroll all the way down you see HERE copyright text, terms of use, and privacy statement. Think it is actually just the old HERE app taken over by MS and made a UWP.

It does use Here data, but it's weird, because using the here apps I get more results (and they are more reliable even), and on top of that I get public transportation data, that for some reason the map says it's not available and on Here Maps it's so reliable (even better than google maps) for the city I live.

I'm not sure what's more humorous, the fact that Joe Belfiore uses an iPhone or the fact that The Verge felt the need to write an article around that the fact he uses an iPhone....

I'm not sure what's more humorous, the fact that Joe Belfiore uses an iPhone or the fact that The Verge felt the need to write an article around that the fact he uses an iPhone....

didn't he say like months ago that he was going to use the vacation as an excuse to make sure he's caught up with the competition's user experience?

Well, I remember reading that he intentional mentioned that he'd be using Android/iPhone during his extended vacation.

didn't he say like months ago that he was going to use the vacation as an excuse to make sure he's caught up with the competition's user experience?

Well, I remember reading that he intentional mentioned that he'd be using Android/iPhone during his extended vacation.

But OMG, who would've thought that he'd really do it!

He even commented on the verge article about it lol

I love Paul's trolling.

Paul Thurrott ‏@thurrott 32 minutes ago

Windows phone fans are like those Japanese soldiers isolated on islands after WWII ended, still fanatically fighting for ... something.

Top Bottom