• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
My Lumia 920's SIM reader broke for the second time.

Repair shop asks €55 for fixing it.

LOL.

The piece in question goes for €1 or so over AliExpress. Fucking scalpers, I swear.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I'm thinking about it, but it looks like I have to tear the entire thing down so I can access the SIM tray.

I'm probably done with it. I love it, it's the best phone I've ever had, but I'll probably hang to my meh Motorola until Panos blesses us all with the Surface Phone.

It can serve as a pretty alarm clock cum web browser in the meantime.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Still my biggest gripe with MS is the region locking of all the Cortana features. All the proactive stuff sounds great *US and GB only :(

Still my biggest gripe with MS is the region locking of all the Cortana features. All the proactive stuff sounds great *US and GB only :(

I wonder why no one puts pressure on Microsoft for this. So many features and even products (Microsoft band) are only for selected markets. Doesn't make much sense to me.

ElNino

Yeah, this has been an issue since WP7. Unfortunately the only "solution" is to set your region to US. At least it doesn't involve as many headaches as it used to, but it would be nice to just leave it set to Canada and still have the same experience.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, this has been an issue since WP7. Unfortunately the only "solution" is to set your region to US. At least it doesn't involve as many headaches as it used to, but it would be nice to just leave it set to Canada and still have the same experience.

It's weird on my phone I switched to US then back to Canada and some of the cards in
Cortana stayed such as following a sports team. One problem with keeping it Canada is that Cortana gives miles instead kms.

JaggedSac

Looks like firmware updates are going to be delivered to Windows Insiders as well.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...s/48bea9be-8082-47ec-904d-cc60037461a7?auth=1

We have been getting a lot of feedback on making mobile device firmware updates more accessible to our Windows Insiders with devices in the Fast and Slow rings. We have heard you loud and clear and are working to enable this. As more Windows 10 Mobile devices come to market, we expect that firmware updates will be an ongoing activity within the Windows Insider Program.

A single device model like the Lumia 950 or the Lumia 950 XL, will ship in many configurations around the world for various network types, mobile operators, device resellers, etc. When we update mobile devices we can target devices based on the OS build version, the model, or the specific configuration down to a particular mobile operator in a particular country. Mobile operators and Windows Insiders get early access to Insider Preview builds and Cumulative Updates to test and provide feedback on our changes prior to rolling these updates out to Windows 10 devices. In cases where firmware updates affect the software that talks to a mobile operator network, our teams work closely with that mobile operator to evaluate and approve the firmware update for devices they support. Specially for the Lumia 950 and 950 XL models, to date we have shipped firmware updates to 700+ device configurations and still have additional mobile operators evaluating future updates.

Currently the system that publishes firmware updates is only targeting devices that are configured to receive production updates. We have teams working on the tools to make this happen seamlessly for Windows Insiders, but it will take a few weeks to get this rolled out in a way that works for current and future firmware updates to Windows Insiders.

While we are getting this update experience fixed; we have a temporary workaround in place to make things easier for our Windows Insiders. Within the Windows Insider application on Windows 10 Mobile we have added a new option called ‘Production’. This will point your device back to the production update servers where you will be able to get any firmware updates that are available for your devices. Once you have the update you will then need to go back to the Windows Insider application and reselect the Fast or Slow ring. Please be advised, if you don’t reselect Fast or Slow with any build newer than 10586 your device will be in a state which may not receive any future Insider Preview builds or Cumulative Updates. Full steps to complete this process are as follows:

Open the Windows Insider application on your device
Select “Get preview builds”
- There will now be three options to choose from: Insider Fast, Insider Slow, and Production
Select “Production”

Read the presented message and tap “accept” to confirm your selection

Your device may prompt to reboot. If not, complete a manual reboot.
After the reboot, check for updates. If available, your device will display an update to receive the newest firmware.
- Settings > Updates & security > Phone update > (check for updates)
- If the device shows a “no updates available” message, your device has the most recently available firmware
If available, complete the update by following the on-screen directions
Once installed, re-open the Windows Insider application
Select your desired update ring (Insider Fast or Insider Slow) and reboot as prompted
Your device now has the newest firmware available and is set to receive the next flight when launched for your selected ring

Note: It is worth reiterating: while some devices have a firmware update available in select countries or on particular mobile operator network, other device variants may receive firmware updates at a later time.

As with any part of the Windows Insider Program, we will continue to evaluate your feedback to make improvements to Windows and the Windows Insider Program. If there are any additional questions, please post them below.

ElNino

It's weird on my phone I switched to US then back to Canada and some of the cards in
Cortana stayed such as following a sports team. One problem with keeping it Canada is that Cortana gives miles instead kms.
Yeah, the distances are always in miles but I can live with that. Weather is at least reported properly in Celcius.

I have W10 on my 830 as a daily driver and it works great. I previously had issues with some apps like Uber not loading but they seem to be resolved now.

Good after the first day or so. First day expect it to run like crazy backing shit up and updating in the back.

640 here. Most notable issues for me:

- The occasional WhatsApp black screen when resuming.
- Sometimes the start screen disappears or no tile shown. Weird.
- The ultra stupid "save image" function in Edge.
- Edge reloading every damn time you open a new tab or resume one.
- Outlook Calendar live tile is broken. Just a static tile.
- Share function breaks resuming. For instance, say you want to share an article from apps like reddit or next gen reader. You select share, share to WhatsApp and submit. Now when you go back to said apps, it starts from scratch. Shitty WP design.
- Resuming overall sucks. Could be my weak ass phone or W10 being an ass.
- Store was an ass to navigate, install apps and the search was utter broken. It's a bit better now but search overall is ass in the store or even the Maps app.
- Maps app is a good start but depending on where you live, Here or Gmaps might be better but having a decent and native Map experience is better than what they did in WP8 by removing it altogether.

I think that's it for me.

Now wanna know the biggest issue of all? I don't see MS anymore in the phone. Meaning, I don't feel that MS is supporting it as they did back in the WP7 or 8 days. Feels like an afterthought. Just a side project.

Thanks for the input guys. Decided to go ahead and updated. Figured if something did go wrong I can just roll back anyways, although I would prefer not to.

Some first impressions on my device
- Where did the Me tile go? I didn't actually use the app all that often, but it was nice to have as a Tile showing ownership.
- I had to repin the NeoGaf tile... but why does it only show the Edge icon. I don't want that.
- In the same breath, alot of my tiles disappeared. I kind of figured that would happen, but just went on and repinned them. I'll also have to recompile a few of my utility apps, but that's not a big deal. A couple minutes at most.

- MMS, and Texting is working still... Though for some reason my Cellular Data isn't. In fact it seems I am getting a worse signal overall (Before I used to get 1-2 bars from my desk, but now I get 0-1, maybe 2). On the same front, the cellular signal is showing an up arrow almost constantly, so it's trying to do something. Maybe I'll try deleting the APN and re-inputting it in manually. I'm with Wind Mobile now, so my phone isn't on the original carrier it came with.
- It was laggy at first, although it seems to have sped up dramatically. It still stutters occasionally, but I'm sure that will clear up

- Does Swipe forwards and backwards in Internet Explorer...er, Edge not work? That's an odd choice
- You're right about the Calendar live tile being broken. That's a shame

royale

Thanks for the input guys. Decided to go ahead and updated. Figured if something did go wrong I can just roll back anyways, although I would prefer not to.

Some first impressions on my device
- Where did the Me tile go? I didn't actually use the app all that often, but it was nice to have as a Tile showing ownership.
- I had to repin the NeoGaf tile... but why does it only show the Edge icon. I don't want that.
- In the same breath, alot of my tiles disappeared. I kind of figured that would happen, but just went on and repinned them. I'll also have to recompile a few of my utility apps, but that's not a big deal. A couple minutes at most.

- MMS, and Texting is working still... Though for some reason my Cellular Data isn't. In fact it seems I am getting a worse signal overall (Before I used to get 1-2 bars from my desk, but now I get 0-1, maybe 2). On the same front, the cellular signal is showing an up arrow almost constantly, so it's trying to do something. Maybe I'll try deleting the APN and re-inputting it in manually. I'm with Wind Mobile now, so my phone isn't on the original carrier it came with.
- It was laggy at first, although it seems to have sped up dramatically. It still stutters occasionally, but I'm sure that will clear up

- Does Swipe forwards and backwards in Internet Explorer...er, Edge not work? That's an odd choice
- You're right about the Calendar live tile being broken. That's a shame

Not sure if it was a combination of updating + re-pinning the tile, but I fixed this by adding a new event/appointment. Tile went "live" after a few minutes (sync-ing?). I'm guessing you just have to add something new for it to refresh. An existing appointment even for the next day will not work if it was previously there.

I use the smallest tile so the live tile is just the static number/day and doesn't show the full event details. Before that it was always stuck as the calendar icon.

royale

Yeah, I never had issues with my live calendar until one of the insider builds broke it. Updates through the app store never fixed it until I added a new event. Who knows, could've been a coincidence.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Dammit, wasn't there supposed to be a new build today? Videos are broken on my device. Literally cannot shoot video without the results being choppy and skipping. I need the firmware update and a new build yesterday.

Not sure if it was a combination of updating + re-pinning the tile, but I fixed this by adding a new event/appointment. Tile went "live" after a few minutes (sync-ing?). I'm guessing you just have to add something new for it to refresh. An existing appointment even for the next day will not work if it was previously there.

I use the smallest tile so the live tile is just the static number/day and doesn't show the full event details. Before that it was always stuck as the calendar icon.

That fixed it for me. Thanks... Must have just been a syncing thing I guess.

In other news, my Cellular Data is working again. Yay! Signal is till weaker overall than before the upgrade, but its always weak in my area since I'm on the absolute edge of the Wind Network.

hankster

CZnxFKtWwAActF0.jpg

< he's even pointing at it >

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
My phone failed pretty spectacularly in the clutch today. At work, it rebooted twice while looking through the work calendar to put in a date for a workshop. People were waiting on me to give them a date. Seems like a bug because I think I can recreate the scenario.

Then, in the evening I was taking pictures and videos of my daughter for her first birthday. Videos are useless, and the camera app basically refused to take multiple photos in a row. At one point, the word "saving" flashed in the viewfinder indicating that I couldn't take any photos. Very frustrating, though I still got some good shots.

So yeah, bring on the updates.

hankster

He even commented on the verge article about it lol

Blonde ambition....

My phone failed pretty spectacularly in the clutch today. At work, it rebooted twice while looking through the work calendar to put in a date for a workshop. People were waiting on me to give them a date. Seems like a bug because I think I can recreate the scenario.

Then, in the evening I was taking pictures and videos of my daughter for her first birthday. Videos are useless, and the camera app basically refused to take multiple photos in a row. At one point, the word "saving" flashed in the viewfinder indicating that I couldn't take any photos. Very frustrating, though I still got some good shots.

And the phone wasn't embedded in the wall after the 2nd one? Good control....

Blonde ambition....

And the phone wasn't embedded in the wall after the 2nd one? Good control....

Well if it was an Android phone or Apple Van would be less forgiving. I feel bad I jinx him by asking about the reboot if it was catastrophic, and I am sure it is now.

I would be pretty miffed if my phone reboot or stop recording during my daughter viola session.

Paganmoon

Have it replaced, I think you've got a lemon. Mine reboots (only at night, while I'm sleeping), but you seem to have major issues. I'd definitely see if I could get it replaced.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Well if it was an Android phone or Apple Van would be less forgiving.

Actually, now that you pointed it out.

It's absolutely true that I prefer Windows Phone, I don't think anyone is confused about it. That said, I was honest with my android experiences. And I've been honest about my WP experience with the 950. In terms of iOS, I don't think I've trashed anything outside of the boring core interface, the trash keyboard, and the highly overrated camera.

n64coder

Mine reboots (only at night, while I'm sleeping), but you seem to have major issues.

What's up with the reboots at night? I've seen that as well. Yet my Windows version and firmware version did not change.

It irks me that I'm not getting a list of what has been updated. Maybe this is intentional since they don't want you to know how much changes are happening.

I had Bing Wallpaper as my lock screen in WP8.1 With my Lumia 950XL, it wasn't working until today. So something got updated or fixed but I don't know what it is.

I love Paul's trolling.

Paul Thurrott &#8207;@thurrott 32 minutes ago

Windows phone fans are like those Japanese soldiers isolated on islands after WWII ended, still fanatically fighting for ... something.

I disagree. It's more like razor blades at wrists and ready to go. This place needs a heavy dose of Cymbalta.

Little rant on pocketnow, "Windows Mobile called, it wants all of its features back"

http://pocketnow.com/2016/01/27/windows-mobile-called-it-wants-all-of-its-features-back

It's absolutely true that I prefer Windows Phone, I don't think anyone is confused about it. That said, I was honest with my android experiences. And I've been honest about my WP experience with the 950. In terms of iOS, I don't think I've trashed anything outside of the boring core interface, the trash keyboard, and the highly overrated camera.

The issues with WM don't sound better at all. It just feels like if your G4 crapped out while taking pictures or videos during the first birthday of your daughter, it would've sounded a little different than "bring on the firmware updates".

joshschw

The issues with WM don't sound better at all. It just feels like if your G4 crapped out while taking pictures or videos during the first birthday of your daughter, it would've sounded a little different than "bring on the firmware updates".

He clearly has a hardware issue if he's already done a hard reset. Not sure why he doesn't get a new one...

Paganmoon

What's up with the reboots at night? I've seen that as well. Yet my Windows version and firmware version did not change.

It irks me that I'm not getting a list of what has been updated. Maybe this is intentional since they don't want you to know how much changes are happening.

I had Bing Wallpaper as my lock screen in WP8.1 With my Lumia 950XL, it wasn't working until today. So something got updated or fixed but I don't know what it is.

I've always chalked my random reboots at night to crashes, as you mention, there hasn't been any updates on the phone. However, the last 2 times my phone rebooted like that, functions that weren't working started working again, things that hadn't helped with manual reboot or soft reset (some apps not launching for one, and Lumia Offers not working properly was the second one).

But VanMardigan really should try to get his phone replaced. I think his problems are more hardware related than the software acting up.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

Yeah, probably, because I prefer WM, like I said.

He clearly has a hardware issue if he's already done a hard reset. Not sure why he doesn't get a new one...

I have owned the phone for more than 30 days now, well past the AT&T return window.

I
But VanMardigan really should try to get his phone replaced. I think his problems are more hardware related than the software acting up.

See above. Most I could do is sell it on eBay. AT&T isn't taking this phone back, I don't have a MS store anywhere near me.

Ugh, I haven't yet, but I'm considering it. Almost daily issues with my 950 now.

I've been avoiding it as well, but I've decided to do a hard reset after the next firmware or OS build update. I was hoping we would have a new build this week.

Paganmoon

Don't you have consumer protection laws in the US? This seems like a out of the box issue/manufacturing issue, so if AT&T won't accept a return (on behalf of the manufacturer), Microsoft should themselves, I really suggest you contact Microsoft support either through their websupport or via phone.

Don't you have consumer protection laws in the US? This seems like a out of the box issue/manufacturing issue, so if AT&T won't accept a return (on behalf of the manufacturer), Microsoft should themselves, I really suggest you contact Microsoft support either through their websupport or via phone.
Consumer protection laws? You mean freedom restriction laws.

Anyway, I thought my battery life was crappy. Then I updated to latest fast build. Now its draining even faster it seems. Ugggggghhhhh.

this_guy

There's a warranty, but that typically involves sending the phone away for repairs.

Yeah AT&T as the seller might not take it back but there has to be something like a 1-year warranty from the manufacturer right? There was on the Nokia phones while Nokia was still making them.

joshschw

Yeah, probably, because I prefer WM, like I said.

I have owned the phone for more than 30 days now, well past the AT&T return window.

See above. Most I could do is sell it on eBay. AT&T isn't taking this phone back, I don't have a MS store anywhere near me.

I've been avoiding it as well, but I've decided to do a hard reset after the next firmware or OS build update. I was hoping we would have a new build this week.

Just send it back... tweet gabe aul or something. it has a warranty more than 30 days

JaggedSac

Just read this sentence on TheVerge

What we disparage as cheap and pandering in Beats headphones is actually the thing that makes them appealing.

Wtf am I reading here. This seems like a good place to mock them.

Just read this sentence on TheVerge

Wtf am I reading here. This seems like a good place to mock them.

I dunno - what's wrong with this. He's saying something analogous to that which was said about the iPod and smartphone cameras before it - that appealing to what matters to people is, for many many people, more important than "objective" standards of quality.

So WP share in US dives to new low in USA. God damn it. Just when you think could it go even lower, but it does.

http://m.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-sales-us-plummet-all-time-low

It was kinda inevitable, though, right? They are deliberately pulling back, they had one new phone on one carrier. Still, I'm not quite sure what happens from here. It doesn't really make sense to give up bc of UWP etc., but it doesn't really make sense to keep going when it's pretty clear that there's no catching up to Android/iOS any time soon (if ever).

JaggedSac

I dunno - what's wrong with this. He's saying something analogous to that which was said about the iPod and smartphone cameras before it - that appealing to what matters to people is, for many many people, more important than "objective" standards of quality.

What matters most to people is branding. Being expensive and cheaply made certainly isn't something that matters to people.

Top Bottom