• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

What matters most to people is branding. Being expensive and cheaply made certainly isn't something that matters to people.

That oversimplifies things. It's rarely just branding that matters. I dunno - this doesn't seem like a complicated point. Beats are populist - they emphasize bass, and they annoy audiophiles or purists or snobs. That doesn't make them inherently "bad."

NeOak

Yeah AT&T as the seller might not take it back but there has to be something like a 1-year warranty from the manufacturer right? There was on the Nokia phones while Nokia was still making them.

AT&T handles the warranty.

I replaced my first 920 after like 11 months because the microphone was bad. Got a new one from the service center.

Thing is, Van would have to take it to the center himself if he wants it to be replaced ASAP.

Also, upgraded from Windows 10 to Windows Phone 8.1 on my 1520, gonna force GDR2. I just couldn't take the 1% every 10 mins battery drain and the keyboard being total ass with Skype anymore.

So WP share in US dives to new low in USA. God damn it. Just when you think could it go even lower, but it does.

http://m.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-sales-us-plummet-all-time-low

Not too surprising. Just waiting for Microsoft to officially kill it. Forget Surface phone. I'll be there for the first Microsoft Android phone. It's really how bad it's gotten. And how can it get any better? Silently release a buggy, expensive phone on one carrier with same or worse app support compared to 3 years ago?

This is probably the last year I wait and see. I really want things to get better but it's not looking that way...

It'll be interesting to see if Microsoft can turn Windows Phone around by the end of the year. I feel like this year with a Surface Phone release will really be that make or break period for the platform.

clav

It'll be interesting to see if Microsoft can turn Windows Phone around by the end of the year. I feel like this year with a Surface Phone release will really be that make or break period for the platform.

Needs apps.

When Microsoft can finally publish apps on Windows, Phone, and Xbox at the same time, maybe.

None of this has happened.

(830 w W10)

My photo app won't open, I can't attach media to mms, and my outlook can't seem to delete emails.

I had something similar happen with my 950 XL. Whenever I attached images to texts the text would not go through. The thing is I had no idea since I didn't receive any error messages. So I was literally sending texts with pictures to few people for a month before I realized that they never received even one. It seems to be a specific carrier issue. I tried every setting possible but nothing worked so I just gave up. Maybe when I have some time next week I'll try the T-mobile help desk to see if they can help.

hadareud

The Translator
He meant that day or this week.

‏@GabeAul
@Bierten @yogesharya2011 Not having a build today only means that we don't have a build TODAY. Does NOT mean Mobile isn't important to us.

https://twitter.com/GabeAul/status/692051094172598272

e: And because we all love Paul.

Paul Thurrott ‏@thurrott Jan 26

@GabeAul It doesn't mean it's important to you either, but I see what you're saying. :)

That doesn't sound too bad, though I'd have added "you moany cunt" at the end.

And I've really grown to appreciate Thurrott's cynicism on Twitter.

That doesn't sound too bad, though I'd have added "you moany cunt" at the end.

And I've really grown to appreciate Thurrott's cynicism on Twitter.

He certainly makes following Microsoft and Windows stuff more pleasant, when it's currently all doom and gloom.

His rage-filled article about the current Surface lines was great as well.

Not too surprising. Just waiting for Microsoft to officially kill it. Forget Surface phone. I'll be there for the first Microsoft Android phone. It's really how bad it's gotten. And how can it get any better? Silently release a buggy, expensive phone on one carrier with same or worse app support compared to 3 years ago?

This is probably the last year I wait and see. I really want things to get better but it's not looking that way...

Damn that is pretty brutal.

Sales were actually increasing YoY every quarter until Q3 2015. Since then the line has been underperforming even to its standards
I mean, they got to a 2012 level of sales again.

As a Windows Phone supporter for my last three devices, at this point I'd rather they just give up.

At least then any hope of improved App support would be gone and I could move back to Android.

Vestal

As a Windows Phone supporter for my last three devices, at this point I'd rather they just give up.

At least then any hope of improved App support would be gone and I could move back to Android.

Personally, after having had an LG G3 for 8 months between my 1520s screen getting cracked and grabbing a 950, I will say I would rather have my heart cut out with a spoon than ever go back to Android. If at some point I have to move away from Windows Phone I guess I will go over to IOS.

Suerte

As much as it pains me to say it, I think at this point, regardless of potential Surface-branded hardware, I think it's just too late for Windows Phone as we know it.

I moved to a Nexus 6P, my first Android phone, in December - I've never been much of an 'apps' kinda person, but the ones that I do regularly use have been far, far better than the WP versions/equivalents (with the one exception of 6tag) - no resuming/loading screens, much more regular updates and most have a (surprisingly) consistent UI. Even the Microsoft apps are more enjoyable to use! I know this information isn't new to most, but I really was pleasantly surprised after hearing so many Android horror stories - although stories are usually very hardware/manufacturer dependent. I also could have been lucky in that Marshmallow seems to be the first version that doesn't burn through battery - also a major benefit of WP.

I am rooting for Microsoft though, I really hope they can turn it around and lure me back.

Guys, Windows Phone is dead. Shut it down, shut it all down.

To be honest I don't see the Surface line changing a thing. I really hope it does though, I love my Lumia.

As much as it pains me to say it, I think at this point, regardless of potential Surface-branded hardware, I think it's just too late for Windows Phone as we know it.

I moved to a Nexus 6P, my first Android phone, in December - I've never been much of an 'apps' kinda person, but the ones that I do regularly use have been far, far better than the WP versions/equivalents (with the one exception of 6tag) - no resuming/loading screens, much more regular updates and most have a (surprisingly) consistent UI. Even the Microsoft apps are more enjoyable to use! I know this information isn't new to most, but I really was pleasantly surprised after hearing so many Android horror stories - although stories are usually very hardware/manufacturer dependent. I also could have been lucky in that Marshmallow seems to be the first version that doesn't burn through battery - also a major benefit of WP.

I am rooting for Microsoft though, I really hope they can turn it around and lure me back.

I've really been rooting for Windows Phone, but has been strange to watch people today realize that Windows Phone is basically dead. This isn't news to anyone who has been following the industry. It's just fans (like me, really, but before) who haven't been able to accept the truth until they see the incredible disparity in numbers.

I don't know how Microsoft should manage what happens next. I think they're going to have to keep WIndows 10 Mobile around to sell their "One Windows experience everywhere" thing, but they also can't keep throwing money down a well, either. I think an x86 phone would be DOA - ARM just keeps gaining momentum - so, yeah... Microsoft are basically stuck as far as I can see.

Doffen

To be honest I don't see the Surface line changing a thing. I really hope it does though, I love my Lumia.

I've seen more ads for iPhone this week than I've seen Microsoft ads in 2015.
I'm confident that Surface will be just another MS stealth launch in my country.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Google and Snapchat being dicks doesnt help.

Yep, and you know what? It would help if we had a new mobile build in 2016 and I got the new firmware. Part of my reasoning for moving to WM10 was the hope that the updates would be frequent and significant. They did that the first two months, but we are overdue for a significant update. Not fast ring either, they were doing monthly platform updates for every 950/XL.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Yep, and you know what? It would help if we had a new mobile build in 2016 and I got the new firmware. Part of my reasoning for moving to WM10 was the hope that the updates would be frequent and significant. They did that the first two months, but we are overdue for a significant update. Not fast ring either, they were doing monthly platform updates for every 950/XL.

A new build would be nice. Hopefully next week.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
What could we even reasonably expect from something like that? How would that help the app situation?

I am interested in build 2016 than Surface Phone itself lol Lets see how they address it this year, and plan to make it a compelling platform for iOS developers.

Because you are absolutely right, if the app situation stays shit. Even Surface phone 10 won't move a needle.

They have to hit a homerun this year, JUST to stay relevant DISTANT third. Yes we are at that stage now.

Are the people saying Nadella killed WP serious? I mean the platform might be in a much better state today if Ballmer didn't drag his feet on mobile for years and then half-ass it until Nadella was forced to take the mantle and make something work out of it. Don't get me wrong I don't think Nadella is doing a great job right now because it feels like he isn't anymore committed to mobile than Ballmer was, but the platform was already full of issues sales/market share wise before he took over as CEO.

Totakeke

Are the people saying Nadella killed WP serious? I mean the platform might be in a much better state today if Ballmer didn't drag his feet on mobile for years and then half-ass it until Nadella was forced to take the mantle and make something work out of it. Don't get me wrong I don't think Nadella is doing a great job right now because it feels like he isn't anymore committed to mobile than Ballmer was, but the platform was already full of issues sales/market share wise before he took over as CEO.

WP was half dead, but Nadella stuck the nail in the coffin. Ballmer may be incompetent but he liked his consumer devices. Nadella is mostly a cloud and services guy emphasizing profit and growth. Not sure what people really saw in him other than he looks hip. He's not that good of a orator either (but anything would seem amazing compared against Ballmer). How else would you explain not releasing any flagship devices for so long before the 950s?

I mean, it's a mercy killing, and I don't think anyone seriously believes he should have done something different, but yeah Nadella did kill it.

WP was half dead, but Nadella stuck the nail in the coffin. Ballmer may be incompetent but he liked his consumer devices. Nadella is mostly a cloud and services guy emphasizing profit and growth. Not sure what people really saw in him other than he looks hip. He's not that good of a orator either (but anything would seem amazing compared against Ballmer). How else would you explain not releasing any flagship devices for so long before the 950s?

Nadella seems to be doing fine so far - his emphasis is on growth sectors and reorganizing MS for the future. While it might bug me as someone who likes Windows Phone, I can't blame Nadella for giving up on Windows Phone - it was a dead end by the time he took over.

IMO, I think what people don't understand is that Microsoft could have poured everything they had into Windows Phone and it would have barely moved the needle on market share. There's never been a good argument that I've seen for how to save WP. Instead, people have quite reasonable suggestions - flagships, midrange phones, paying app developers, etc etc - but none of them would have resulted in 20 or 30 or 40 million Windows Phones being sold in a quarter, which are just the barest kind of numbers one would need to say the WP is "saved." Nadella has made the right choice: acknowledge that mobile is lost, and concentrate on trying to find the next thing. Windows Phone was dead long ago because mobile was already lost; people just weren't willing to accept it.

so many things could have been done to improve the situation.

-not fire nokia staff
-come out and say you are committed to mobile
-finish the damn mobile OS so they didn't have to release an incomplete OS "for its fans"
-release a Lumia 650 with the 950s (the 635 was a very popular low end phone)
-get it out to more carriers. t-mobile wanted the W10 phones, microsoft said no

i do understand why microsoft did or didn't do what they did but sometimes you have to tell the shareholders that they need to think long term. if microsoft loses mobile, there will be no microsoft in the future. both google and apple will take their lunch and push them out.

Totakeke

Nadella seems to be doing fine so far - his emphasis is on growth sectors and reorganizing MS for the future. While it might bug me as someone who likes Windows Phone, I can't blame Nadella for giving up on Windows Phone - it was a dead end by the time he took over.

IMO, I think what people don't understand is that Microsoft could have poured everything they had into Windows Phone and it would have barely moved the needle on market share. There's never been a good argument that I've seen for how to save WP. Instead, people have quite reasonable suggestions - flagships, midrange phones, paying app developers, etc etc - but none of them would have resulted in 20 or 30 or 40 million Windows Phones being sold in a quarter, which are just the barest kind of numbers one would need to say the WP is "saved." Nadella has made the right choice: acknowledge that mobile is lost, and concentrate on trying to find the next thing. Windows Phone was dead long ago because mobile was already lost; people just weren't willing to accept it.

What can I say, I like loss-making and boundary pushing consumer devices and buying devices that are going to be defunct. In the end Zune was a silly venture, Windows Phone was a silly venture, Xbox could have been silly venture, Surface was a risky venture that alienated a lot of people to Windows. Nadella made the right move for profits by ending WP but why would I care. His concentrating on the next thing seems like just taking bits and pieces of WP and pushing it to other platforms. That's not interesting to me.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
wow people hate Nadella? LOL I am shocked.

I have to completely disagree here, this guy is doing gods work.

Microsoft have never had a clear vision until now. According to him, which I 100% agree; no single device will be hub of everything forever. Its not about PC, Watch, Phone, Xbox, Tablet etc. its the services. Its all about Azure, Windows and Office.

He has so many famous quotes and lines, here are my two.

“Our industry does not respect tradition – it only respects innovation.”

"[One] big mistake we made in our past was to think of the PC as the hub for everything for all time to come," Nadella says.

now he is talking about smartphone,

"To think that that's what the future is for all time to come would be to make the same mistake we made in the past without even having the share position of the past," Nadella says. "So that would be madness."

Seriously this guy is turning the company around in so many ways. He understands this business. I can't wait to see what Windows 10 will become in next 10 years.

While apple will have iOS, Mac OS, watch os, tv os. and Google with Chrome and Android. Microsoft with WINDOWS.

Totakeke

wow people hate Nadella? LOL I am shocked.

I have to completely disagree here, this guy is doing gods work.

Microsoft have never had a clear vision until now. According to him, which I 100% agree; no single device will be hub of everything forever. Its not about PC, Watch, Phone, Xbox, Tablet etc. its the services. Its all about Azure, Windows and Office.

He has so many famous quotes and lines, here are my two.

Seriously this guy is turning the company around in so many ways. He understands this business. I can't wait to see what Windows 10 will become in next 10 years.

While apple will have iOS, Mac OS, watch os, tv os. and Google with Chrome and Android. Microsoft with WINDOWS on every device.

Until he actually does something all that is PR talk. What interesting products has he actually put in motion since he became CEO? Sure, you can say he still needs more time, then the verdict is still out.

Question. I thought I read a while ago that Windows 10 Mobile was suppose to sync text messages with your desktop/laptop/tablet through the Messaging app... did that not make the cut?

Top Bottom