• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Tablo

That 640 case looks fantastic but 20$ :/ I can buy a Lumia 640 for 30$ lol.
I felt bad buying an 8$ case when I got my 640 for 60$ LOL

catmincer

Man tjhe HP elite is hot I wish the app support was there for Windows mobile 10. Two questions shouldn't the X3 be running an Intel chipset and its weird that the phone doesn't dock into the laptop extender.

It looks amazing but I simply cannot commit to windows mobile again. :( I have spent way too much money on Android apps.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
It looks amazing but I simply cannot commit to windows mobile again. :( I have spent way too much money on Android apps.

This is always a weak reason, Imo. Ecosystem jail. I own apps across all platforms, and the good thing is that they work across devices, so I can use windows apps now on laptops, android and iOS apps on tablets etc., they don't disappear when you leave the platform, you get them back when you are ready to move back or get a compatible device.

ElNino

I got a notification from the Health app saying there was a Band update.
Band 1 or 2? I haven't got an update for my Band 2, but my notifications did come all of a sudden. We will see if they continue to come (on time) tomorrow or if they come in bulk again.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Band 1 or 2? I haven't got an update for my Band 2, but my notifications did come all of a sudden. We will see if they continue to come (on time) tomorrow or if they come in bulk again.

Weird...Band 2. I got a notification in action center on my phone saying there was a Band update. Opened the Health and it started to update the Band. Everything has been good since. Maybe it is a staggered update.

ElNino

Weird...Band 2. I got a notification in action center on my phone saying there was a Band update. Opened the Health and it started to update the Band. Everything has been good since. Maybe it is a staggered update.
Just checked again and it's updating now. I guess you are closer to Redmond than me so you got it first. ;-)

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Microsoft's booth at Mobile World Congress 2016.

H9UFHtV.jpg
Such products, much wow.

KageMaru

I remember hearing someone say Xbox would have never happened under Nadella, and I can't help but think that they were right.

Nadella is great at strengthening the base. He knows Microsoft's core well, but won't throw good money after potentially bad as Ballmer did. That's why Ballmer bailed out Moore's Xbox division after RROD instead of shuttering it. That's why Ballmer bought Nokia's mobile division instead of letting Windows Phone die. But Nadella is less interested, because it falls outside Microsoft's core, doesn't make money (anymore), and a consumer-facing phone OS + hardware manufacturing doesn't sit well with Microsoft's core strategy. The only way it can stick around is by focussing on enterprise, and by getting partners to build devices for them (with a 'halo' Surface device only). Hence, Lumia is dead.

Windows 10 for mobile will stick around for now, but only if it clicks with enterprise customers. I don't think Continuum is enough, but we'll see what else they're sitting on at BUILD.

So yeah, Android and iOS are the only mobile OS's that care about consumers going forward. Microsoft's focus in mobile right now is clearly on enterprise.

Well my hope is they are biding their time until they have a product worth showing off. Based on the windows weekly interview with their marketing manager, they knew the 950/XL wasn't going to sell the masses on WP. He specifically mentioned the need for a surface type innovation needed to stand out from the pack.

I also think that they won't be getting rid of WP and Xbox any time soon. By updating them to Windows 10, they need these platforms to support/show their one Windows everywhere initiative. I even believe that there will be another Xbox after this one, regardless of Satya's original opinion on the console.

Of course none of this excuses the lack of focus behind the development of W10M or failing to fight for dev support like they did in the past. They should have not kept devs in the dark over the Android bridge for example. These areas are where I'm most annoyed by with their handling of the platform.

The Cortana windows phone app is still not available in larger parts of Europe... why?

Because they haven't rolled out Cortana in those countries yet. However, the Android app isn't even available in countries where you can get it on Windows and Windows Phone. It makes no sense.

Does anyone play Asphalt 8? I'm using Windows 10 Mobiile, and the option for tilt to steer controls disappeared. Like from once race to another. I was wondering why my car wouldn't move and I went to settings and discovered that the option wasn't in the control settings! I uninstalled and reinstallled the game, so that isn't the issue.

W10 on my 830 with the new build is so hit and miss with me. Back button doesn't work right, apps seem to reset with no rhyme or reason, and battery life is horrible.

Does anyone play Asphalt 8? I'm using Windows 10 Mobiile, and the option for tilt to steer controls disappeared. Like from once race to another. I was wondering why my car wouldn't move and I went to settings and discovered that the option wasn't in the control settings! I uninstalled and reinstallled the game, so that isn't the issue.

bizarre. I don't play the game, though.

derFeef

I wonder when they are going to fix the mail app, so that you can actually READ the mails you get without having to scroll to the right forever. Ugh.

Doffen

Why can't they just give what the people want? A sexy Surface designed phone, water resistance, PureView camera, 3D touch, 128GB base model, Snapdragon 820, superb battery life, superb screen and no headphone jack.

Also a design that will continue with the next model so that 3rd party got time to develop cases and other accessories.

Ganondolf

Anyone have any idea when Intel's Core M Mobile chipsets was supposed to be released.

With the benchmark showing a MS phone with a snapdragon 820 cpu I wondering if the surface phone has been moved to a ARM cpu as the core m mobiles have been delayed.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
So I've been dicking around with HP's Elite x3 and all I have to say is that there's no reasonable excuse for Windows 10 to run like it does on that thing. It's not like the OS is choppy or anything like that, but there's an overall lack of finesse added to the usual Windows 10 jank that makes for a rather displeasing experience for a long time Windows Phone user.

I mean, the platform has never been competitive with Android or iOS in terms of apps and services, I already made peace with that, but it's always been buttery smooth even on really low-end devices. That and its formerly intuitive design used to be Windows Phone's biggests and only hooks. Now there is none.

Honestly, I feel so damn dissapointed (but specially after toying with the Galaxy S6s S7 and the G5, both of them smoother than a babby's butt) that I may switch to Android once and for all unless a properly amazing Surface Phone arrives. Windows on mobile is just so damn hopeless at the moment. Not even Windows Phone 7 left me this cold.

Paganmoon

So I've been dicking around with HP's Elite x3 and all I have to say is that there's no reasonable excuse for Windows 10 to run like it does on that thing. It's not like the OS is choppy or anything like that, but there's an overall lack of finesse added to the usual Windows 10 jank that makes for a rather displeasing experience for a long time Windows Phone user.

I mean, the platform has never been competitive with Android or iOS in terms of apps and services, I already made peace with that, but it's always been buttery smooth even on really low-end devices. That and its formerly intuitive design used to be Windows Phone's biggests and only hooks. Now there is none.

Honestly, I feel so damn dissapointed (but specially after toying with the Galaxy S6s S7 and the G5, both of them smoother than a babby's butt) that I may switch to Android once and for all unless a properly amazing Surface Phone arrives. Windows on mobile is just so damn hopeless at the moment. Not even Windows Phone 7 left me this cold.

Maybe firmware/drivers aren't fully ready for the device? I mean, the specs are higher than the 950, and there aren't any real changes med OS-wise other than drivers/firmware right?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
You get some new devices, then you get negative signals. MS just needs to decide on a path forward. The worst part is that I'm genuinely happy using this platform, I enjoy the day to day use, and aside from a handful of apps (adt, snapchat, etc.) I don't mind as long as they continue to improve the core devices, and they are doing that. I see multiple updates to MS core and Office apps each week, so that makes me feel good.

Edit: Be vary wary of the smoothness of Android phones on a fresh install. The G5 will likely stay relatively smooth, but if past history is any indication, the S7 will not. And I say that as someone who is lusting after the s7 but has been burned by the last two Samsung flagships I've used as daily drivers.

Top Bottom