• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

maeh2k

2. Except there are like a bunch of OEMS about to jump on WIndows 10.

OEMs have always been "about to jump on [Windows Phone]". Acer, HTC, and Samsung half-heartedly supported Windows Phone 7/8. At various points Microsoft made a big deal about getting new partners on board. E.g. http://winsupersite.com/windows-phone/microsoft-announces-9-new-windows-phone-hardware-partners-new-os-features

As long as OEMs don't push their Windows Phone devices as hard as their Android devices, it's not going to matter. When a company releases a Windows Phone variant of their Android flagship and they don't have a big marketing push, the carriers don't push Windows Phone, ... you basically have a phone made for a couple of Windows Phone enthusiasts. It's never going to compete with the Android flagship.

On a note other than the doom of Windows Mobile, the new features in the desktop build today seem pretty great. Redstone is going to be a nice update.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Did a hard reset yesterday to fix issues I was having with Groove in the latest build. So far so good. If the issue happens again ill probably go back to the production build.

Paganmoon

getting so much jankyness as of latest build. Lots of resuming, and it getting stuck like that, specially when apps call each other and it's going to switch to an unopened app (For instance, payment app calling contacts so I can get a list to choose who to send a payment to, whilst the contacts app hasn't been opened before. Have to manually open the contacts app, go to the payment app, then it works.)

But by god, I'll hold firm, I am not going to do a Hard Reset, you hear my Microsoft, you can't force me!

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
getting so much jankyness as of latest build. Lots of resuming, and it getting stuck like that, specially when apps call each other and it's going to switch to an unopened app (For instance, payment app calling contacts so I can get a list to choose who to send a payment to, whilst the contacts app hasn't been opened before. Have to manually open the contacts app, go to the payment app, then it works.)

But by god, I'll hold firm, I am not going to do a Hard Reset, you hear my Microsoft, you can't force me!

Not long after my most I got a freeze and had to reset lol.

So is the 6S just the golden standard of battery life or are android devices this good too?

Going to bed at 1AM with 40% life left feels good, man. Use yesterday was:

Downloaded four apps
30 mins podcast listening
20 mins Groove
Regular chrome use (according to battery app, 16% of total use in last 24 hours)
Frantic tinder swipes in morning and evening
Uploaded a check to BOA app (how I've missed this)
Bunch of other various app use (Asana, Instagram, FB, Messenger, Outlook, Feedly, Life cake, Parkx, Cottage)

I've heard that iOS is king of standby life, so maybe that's the key.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
6s battery life

The plus version? That one has great battery life, same for the SE version I own. The regular 6 version isn't known for great stamina, though, my wife complains all the time about her battery life. Standby time on iOS is incredible, though, no doubt.

The plus version? That one has great battery life, same for the SE version I own. The regular 6 version isn't known for great stamina, though, my wife complains all the time about her battery life. Standby time on iOS is incredible, though, no doubt.

6S not the plus though. I've only had it week or so,maybe it will deteriorate, though it is a swappa used phone.

I remember my 830 had similar life in the first few months I owned it then it went downhill.

hadareud

The Translator
That's the sort of battery life I had pre Redstone on my 950. Though the latest build seems much better again. 78% after 12 hours and I used it quite a lot in the morning today.

Paganmoon

Anyone else have issues with the calendar? This is the third time I've set a reminder in the calendar (manually), saved it, it shows in the calendar, but a few days later when I check it's gone. Can't figure out what's going on. Annoying as hell to say the least.

In other news, there's an official Eurovision song contest app... Really. It's not snapchat, but hey this should get all the kids excited for the platform right?

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
rumor is the Microsoft Store will offer a bogo deal soon. buy a 950XL, get the 950 free.

wife and i may do this for their cameras alone.

the fuck?

But what If I just want to buy 950XL? no discount on just single device?

OEMs have always been "about to jump on [Windows Phone]". Acer, HTC, and Samsung half-heartedly supported Windows Phone 7/8. At various points Microsoft made a big deal about getting new partners on board. E.g. http://winsupersite.com/windows-phone/microsoft-announces-9-new-windows-phone-hardware-partners-new-os-features

As long as OEMs don't push their Windows Phone devices as hard as their Android devices, it's not going to matter. When a company releases a Windows Phone variant of their Android flagship and they don't have a big marketing push, the carriers don't push Windows Phone, ... you basically have a phone made for a couple of Windows Phone enthusiasts. It's never going to compete with the Android flagship.

There are some whose flagships are ONLY Windows Phone or it's the most powerful line, or it's the second version of a similar device, or it's considered their lower or mid tier device in their line-up.

OEms for Windows 10 are all over with how they use them, I don't know what crystal ball you're using but it's not working. Already there have been more Windows 10 Oems in a shorter time frame than at the same time of 7/8/8.1 combines.

Also talking about Flagships when all the Windows flaghips have competed. The reason why there aren't many Flagship comparisons that last few years is because MS never put out an actual flagship until the 950 which launched with 10.

So, other than Blackberry, which one of the companies you listed is doing worse than Windows Phone? Do you have any numbers?

Which companies do you think are doing better than Windows Phone? Have you seen the charts by manufac? All but Samsung and Apple are at the bottom of the line chart, you act like Microsoft has to try hard and compete.

Global-Smartphone-Top-10.jpg

I mean sure there may be some shifts in that since Samsung and a few others have been down a bit lately but it shouldn't really change the order.

I mean HTC will remain out of the loop. Huawei seems to be doing around the same outside china, so no real increase, LG really wasn't drawing people, the G5 is just going around so it may get an increase though the only strong sales report we got is on it's home turf. Seems the "friends" thing is an issue outside Korea.

Lenovo hasn't really gotten anywhere much even after a decent time acquiring Motorola,.

Outside of those there really isn't another relevant company. MS/Apple/Sam aloe take up over a 3rd of the pie chart and are heading toward 50%.

So is the 6S just the golden standard of battery life or are android devices this good too?

Going to bed at 1AM with 40% life left feels good, man. Use yesterday was:

Downloaded four apps
30 mins podcast listening
20 mins Groove
Regular chrome use (according to battery app, 16% of total use in last 24 hours)
Frantic tinder swipes in morning and evening
Uploaded a check to BOA app (how I've missed this)
Bunch of other various app use (Asana, Instagram, FB, Messenger, Outlook, Feedly, Life cake, Parkx, Cottage)

I've heard that iOS is king of standby life, so maybe that's the key.

The 640 and 950 get around that battery life to for the same thing. Throw in some youtube videos instead of tinder.

Real king is Blackberry though in terms of battery. It's multitasking OS BB10, I can read some article while having a youtube video or a music site playing in the background while also checking the weather, and texting someone all at the same time with no hiccups for hours and still be at 70% battery life.

Using a chart from 2015 is a bad idea. Just doing a quick search shows that for 2016 Window Phone has a market share around 2% which would put them on the bottom of that chart.

Using a chart from 2015 is a bad idea. Just doing a quick search shows that for 2016 Window Phone has a market share around 2% which would put them on the bottom of that chart.

Not in manufacturing. Also that Windows Phone percentage you are speaking of is OS if not mistaken.

The fact Windows is still the 3rd largest OS and that that vast majority of those phones are from Microsoft in terms of relevant sales helps that fact.

Yes the charts per quarter will shake once in awhile, like LG will likely shoot up above it along with HTC when the new phones comes out, then drop back down again afterward. I mean there were times BB had enough interest where it charted in 2014.

Hell Amazon charted in a few charts I found. With their flop phone.

There so much rank switching most quarters it's crazy.

Xiamoi has released like 3 new phones so it'll likely be third because China population. Then it'll drop down again.

That's the issue with Android OEMs, they can't seem to be consistent unless you are called Samsung.

Anyway regardless don't make my chart in saying they are dooing good, or where doing good, rather, they are just not as bad as everyone else who is also bad.

it's like you go to a party get drunk and you and your friends jump off a ledge and everyone breaks both their legs but you break only one.

Likely after this month and next HTC and MS will be around the same, LG and Xiaomi will be ahead, likely lenovo will shrink unless moto has a trick up their sleeves, and then all the other will be irrelevant.

Over the last week my phone has pretty much been an oven. I'm on the slow ring updates. Also, the battery life is poor. Sometimes the phone doesn't charge when connected to a charger. The 950 XL was pretty stable until the last 1.5 to two weeks. I'm inclined to believe that it's just software as the battery isn't even six months old.

Havoc2049

Over the last week my phone has pretty much been an oven. I'm on the slow ring updates. Also, the battery life is poor. Sometimes the phone doesn't charge when connected to a charger. The 950 XL was pretty stable until the last 1.5 to two weeks. I'm inclined to believe that it's just software as the battery isn't even six months old.

Argh...my 950 has started to do this as well. A fully charged battery only lasts me about three hours now. My phone is only four months old. ;-( Is there a way to fix this?

MCD

It's time to say goodbye to Windows Phone. I love this OS. I love Live Tiles. I love the community. But it's time to leave.

My reasons are simple. I don't see myself paying $600 or whatever for what's essentially another Lumia. Lumia 950 is a great looking phone, great hardware but I am already using Win 10 on my 640 so what's the benefit? Speed? Camera? Not worth it. Android devices have already caught up in Camera and Android is no longer laggy (maybe after a year as Van once mentioned but I will manage by then). MS is also to blame because Lumia is no longer pursuing cutting-edge crazy camera tech like the legendary 1020. And I don't need to mention the sorry beta state of Win10. It's tiring seeing the OS I love turned into an afterthought by the current management. Joe Belfiore left for a reason and I bet you it's not a simple vacation. That's what I believe anyway.

I will be frank. It's heartbreaking hearing your new ride got an app that can do X stuff but you need iOS or Android. Or your bank got an app that can do everything as humanly simple as possible but again, you need a real OS. Another reason is me trying to get all social and posting pics over Instagram. Oh boy, 6tag, Instagram beta...they all suck.

Now I can see myself returning next year with whatever Panos is currently cooking for mobile. If someone can turn the current situation around, it's him. Intel chip, x86 blah blah, anything headed by the top tier team at MS is certainly gonna be more interesting than the 950.

Like most sane tech guys out there I sincerely believe it is the right time to jump out. It's time to enjoy my mobile phone like any other human out there. And thanks to Microsoft, almost every app I use is available on iOS and Android and I don't have to worry about Here Drive leaving my ass any time soon.

For new comers, Win10 might be interesting. But for an old timer like me? Gabe and co. at the mobile division should try harder. I'm not gonna be your guinea pig this time around.

Now the only question is what Android to get. I love the Galaxy S7 screen size and I believe it got an excellent camera comparable to Lumias so that would probably be my phone. I'd get an iPhone but I just HATE using iTunes to transfer files. Fuck no to that.

Android is a great OS and even if you're not an "app person" (whatever that means), it's nice to simply have the option instead of being forced into the situation.

You could be happy with the Galaxy S7, with all it's bells and whistles you know from Lumia (great camera, glance, double-tap to wake, wireless charging) and it even supports VR. There's also the HTC 10, for a more Stock Android-like experience (jury is still out on the benefits). Or the LG G5, if you like weird camera add-on shit that's going to be abandoned a year from now. Or maybe a Huawei. The Nexus 6P has great reviews, including the camera and Stock Android is great for fast and reliable OS and security updates (being first in line to get the next OS update is great). You could even go as low as $300 and still get a great experience. The point is, it's great to have options.

MCD

Yeah. I used the Nexus 6P from a friend. While it's an amazing phone, the big size is not for me. S7 size is perfect.

As for HTC...I dunno, they have a habit of abandoning their phones. And LG is just too gimmicky.

Yeah. I used the Nexus 6P from a friend. While it's an amazing phone, the big size is not for me. S7 size is perfect.

As for HTC...I dunno, they have a habit of abandoning their phones. And LG is just too gimmicky.

Go and get the S7 then, but be aware that OS updates will take 3-6 months to hit your phone. That said, I think Samsung is still doing the security updates, so it's not that horrible.

It's time to say goodbye to Windows Phone. I love this OS. I love Live Tiles. I love the community. But it's time to leave.

My reasons are simple. I don't see myself paying $600 or whatever for what's essentially another Lumia. Lumia 950 is a great looking phone, great hardware but I am already using Win 10 on my 640 so what's the benefit? Speed? Camera? Not worth it. Android devices have already caught up in Camera and Android is no longer laggy (maybe after a year as Van once mentioned but I will manage by then). MS is also to blame because Lumia is no longer pursuing cutting-edge crazy camera tech like the legendary 1020. And I don't need to mention the sorry beta state of Win10. It's tiring seeing the OS I love turned into an afterthought by the current management. Joe Belfiore left for a reason and I bet you it's not a simple vacation. That's what I believe anyway.

I will be frank. It's heartbreaking hearing your new ride got an app that can do X stuff but you need iOS or Android. Or your bank got an app that can do everything as humanly simple as possible but again, you need a real OS. Another reason is me trying to get all social and posting pics over Instagram. Oh boy, 6tag, Instagram beta...they all suck.

Now I can see myself returning next year with whatever Panos is currently cooking for mobile. If someone can turn the current situation around, it's him. Intel chip, x86 blah blah, anything headed by the top tier team at MS is certainly gonna be more interesting than the 950.

Like most sane tech guys out there I sincerely believe it is the right time to jump out. It's time to enjoy my mobile phone like any other human out there. And thanks to Microsoft, almost every app I use is available on iOS and Android and I don't have to worry about Here Drive leaving my ass any time soon.

For new comers, Win10 might be interesting. But for an old timer like me? Gabe and co. at the mobile division should try harder. I'm not gonna be your guinea pig this time around.

Now the only question is what Android to get. I love the Galaxy S7 screen size and I believe it got an excellent camera comparable to Lumias so that would probably be my phone. I'd get an iPhone but I just HATE using iTunes to transfer files. Fuck no to that.
This is exactly how I felt a few months ago when I made the switch to a Nexus 5X and I regret nothing, my phone looks great and performs great. If you have a higher budget, I'd definitely look at the HTC 10 or Galaxy S7 though.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Samsung has the best camera, but I've had bad experiences over time with their flagships. Things just deteriorate like in WM10. And watch any video of the Touchwiz OS vs iPhone or HTC 10. It just isn't as responsive, unlike the lightning quick iOS or HTC 10. That stuff will only get worse as you install apps.

HTC 10 would be my bet if I wasn't already an iPhone SE owner. Heck, ya'll know me and my phone-swapping ways, I may end up selling the iPhone for the HTC 10. HTC M8 was legit the best Android experience I ever had, and it held up beautifully. The camera sucked, but apparently the camera on the 10 is pretty good.

So, anyway, I haven't sold my 950 but my SE is the daily driver now, so................who's left? Schuey?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Samsung has the best camera, but I've had bad experiences over time with their flagships. Things just deteriorate like in WM10. And watch any video of the Touchwiz OS vs iPhone or HTC 10. It just isn't as responsive, unlike the lightning quick iOS or HTC 10. That stuff will only get worse as you install apps.

HTC 10 would be my bet if I wasn't already an iPhone SE owner. Heck, ya'll know me and my phone-swapping ways, I may end up selling the iPhone for the HTC 10. HTC M8 was legit the best Android experience I ever had, and it held up beautifully. The camera sucked, but apparently the camera on the 10 is pretty good.

So, anyway, I haven't sold my 950 but my SE is the daily driver now, so................who's left? Schuey?

yeah, android experience is better than the experience with these W10 builds. too many broken basic functions like cortana, SMS messaging, store, etc, in WP.

ElNino

I'm still here with my 950 XL, but I'll be honest that the HTC 10 is looking tempting. Considering I just bought the XL off-contract in December, and I'm just finishing a large home renovation... I really shouldn't be considering a new phone. But... we'll see how that goes.

JaggedSac

Saw a recent camera shootout and the 950 still performed better than the new HTC

Went to Asheville NC last weekend and my shots on my 950 were loads better than what my wife got on her S6. Especially inside the Biltmore. She was a bit jealous.

Also made some legitimate usage of HDR with some inside shots looking outside through a window.

Treo360

Almost jumped ship for android, but I'm a glutton for punishment. This last update left my 1520.3 without the touch app being installed. Now, as you few owners of the 1520 all know too well, the phone has sensitivity issues, so being able to dumb it down to normal helps. A hard reset and the app was installed at a cost to my text backup sync.

I bought a 950 xl to add to my woe.

ElNino

Saw a recent camera shootout and the 950 still performed better than the new HTC
That wouldn't surprise me at all, but I wish they would bring some of the missing photo modes back from the 1020. I made some really cool action shots of my kids and it's one of the things that always got people asking what phone I had and how they could do it on their iPhone/Galaxy/etc.

Now, it's just a good camera that takes basic shots.

That wouldn't surprise me at all, but I wish they would bring some of the missing photo modes back from the 1020. I made some really cool action shots of my kids and it's one of the things that always got people asking what phone I had and how they could do it on their iPhone/Galaxy/etc.

Now, it's just a good camera that takes basic shots.
cinemagraph app is still around and I still get asked what app I used after posting my gifs in instagram.

didn't HTC copy nearly all the Lumia camera apps like the action stuff?

I wonder if the B1G1 will stack with any other promotions. It would be pretty tempting if it did because then I could grab a cheap 920 off of eBay and then stack the trade-in discount with the education discount and get both phones for about $500 after taxes and other fees.

Top Bottom