• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

clav

neat, but a physical keyboard would be more practical
and probably less likely to break

Wrong. HTC Touch Pro broke running WM 6.5 because of the keyboard slider kept tilting the phone. Phone kept thinking keyboard slid out when held a certain way.

nubbe

Wrong. HTC Touch Pro broke running WM 6.5 because of the keyboard slider kept tilting the phone. Phone kept thinking keyboard slid out when held a certain way.

HTC, please
My X1 or Xperia Play worked fine for 2 years each, before they got retired
Ericsson quality

M3d10n

I think the whole kernel tinkering thing is beginning to show some results. I'm noticing a somewhat better multitasking between Edge and other apps with 14322 on my 640, as in Edge won't cause other apps to be unloaded from RAM as easily as before.

I chuckled, when I saw the phone. They also had some Surface Pro 4s there, but I bet you'll find out about that in a separate "news article" on that site. Since they did no research whatsoever, it should be noted that Microsoft is sponsoring the competition, the Renault F1 team (the livery has Microsoft Dynamics, Office 365 and even Lumia, depending on the region).

So it doesn't seem to be an official partnership and more of a business relationship.

That said, they couldn't have picked a more fitting phone for this years car.

r0CbxhX.jpg

Y4XkRrJ.jpg

C4L4c7k.jpg

Paganmoon

I think the whole kernel tinkering thing is beginning to show some results. I'm noticing a somewhat better multitasking between Edge and other apps with 14322 on my 640, as in Edge won't cause other apps to be unloaded from RAM as easily as before.

Kernel tinkering has also brought quite a few random reboots though, my phone hasn't reboot this often since around January.
Also had an issue yesterday when I started an app after a reboot, the phone stopped responding, only showed clock and mobile connection info, rest was black, did a soft-reset which resulted in the phone going completely black with the IR camera light blinking on and off. Another soft reset made it work again.

Fast ring really is a scary experience.

Interested to know own what you think of it.

And yeah, the little hardware things are easy to miss, after switching. Two years in and I still miss glance and double tap to wake.

So far, I really like how pristine and unified the overall experience is. Guess that's not really a shock to anyone, but still really nice. The app selection, of course, is fantastic. It also feels like alerts (badge counts, etc.) are a lot faster and more consistent than they were on Windows Phone. No live tiles with misleading unread counts (hello, Facebook) to deal with and be frustrated by.

I like the overall swipe design: down for notifications and a cool little daily agenda, right for suggestions, frequent contacts/apps, and news, and up for media controls and shortcuts. Kinda frustrates me that MS hasn't done anything with swiping in from right, and squandered swiping up for the software buttons :-|

Some things I hate? This godawful keyboard (no comma on the main keyboard, and no contextual .com key feels like the dark ages) and, tbh, the UI in general. I miss live tiles, even though they could be (at times) frustratingly inconsistent. Maybe I'm still getting used to it, but I hate wading through a sea of icons. Folders don't make it much better. iOS, as a design language for app organization, feels vastly inferior.

I really miss having a Glance screen, too, as well as double-tap to wake. After I sold my 950, I used my old 830 for a few weeks and forgot how much I missed that feature. Now I have neither!

Also, call me crazy, but wow, I really miss having dedicated Search and Back buttons.

It feels weird that the things I mention missing first about WP (the UI language, dedicated buttons) have been there since Day 1 and haven't evolved too much (I guess some could argue that the UI has changed for the worse in some ways). I don't know if that's a good or back thing for MS< haha.

Paganmoon

For those on latest Redstone, how's battery life for you? Mine feels like it's taken a dive in the past few days, very light use, but seems to drop a lot more than usual. Wonder if it has to do with the faulty Windows Hello, maybe it's draining battery while locked?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
For those on latest Redstone, how's battery life for you? Mine feels like it's taken a dive in the past few days, very light use, but seems to drop a lot more than usual. Wonder if it has to do with the faulty Windows Hello, maybe it's draining battery while locked?

My battery hasn't been great and I have Hello off.

Also, I actually think 3D Touch is pretty cool.

I could see it making a lot of sense if MS ever implements the interactive live tiles. Considering a long press, like iOS, leads to reorganization interface, a hard/3D press could instead allow you to interact with the tile, expand it so you can interact, etc.

joshschw

Also, I actually think 3D Touch is pretty cool.

I could see it making a lot of sense if MS ever implements the interactive live tiles. Considering a long press, like iOS, leads to reorganization interface, a hard/3D press could instead allow you to interact with the tile, expand it so you can interact, etc.

This hardly requires new hardware in the phone. It's not a difficult proposition for them to keep long press to reorganize and utilize a force-touch like interface at the same time.

kazinova

Also, call me crazy, but wow, I really miss having dedicated Search and Back buttons.

Not crazy, I've had an iPad Mini for a year and using that is what persuaded me to try Android instead. At least it has a back button. If only they could get rid of the insipid multitasking button. It's the most wasteful button in the world, it should be search.

Paganmoon

Paganmoon

José Mourinho;201482116 said:
Can't connect to WiFi networks at all.

Hmm, I've had an issue with Wifi, but it's been about not getting an IP from the DHCP. Usually just reboot the phone and it works.

That build is very unstable for me.

Not noticed any issues yet, just been half a day though, how is it unstable for you?

Edit: Windows Hello seems slower than before, at least in starting up/lighting up the light. But at least it works.

derFeef

Data connection sometimes not working, needing reboot. (known issue)
Unlocking the phone leads into an infinite load screen sometimes.
Can't often unlock even.

Paganmoon

Data connection sometimes not working, needing reboot. (known issue)
Unlocking the phone leads into an infinite load screen sometimes.
Can't often unlock even.

On the build from yesterday? Had load screen problems, and unlockscreen problems on the build from earlier this week, not this one (yet).

You know what you must do.

I have yet to Hard Reset since I got my 950. I'd rather live with the jank than reconfigure my authenticators.

hadareud

The Translator
Yeah, it's definitely become less of a necessity even on insider (fast) builds, but when you have major problems that aren't known issues like you do, it's the only option.

The build is running pretty well for me so far. Battery life is still a problem, though.

Hmm, I've had an issue with Wifi, but it's been about not getting an IP from the DHCP. Usually just reboot the phone and it works.

Not noticed any issues yet, just been half a day though, how is it unstable for you?

Edit: Windows Hello seems slower than before, at least in starting up/lighting up the light. But at least it works.
A power button + volume down reset, whatever that's called, solved it for all of an hour. There's new firmware available on the Recovery Tool so I'll give that a bash.

derFeef

Yeah, it's definitely become less of a necessity even on insider (fast) builds, but when you have major problems that aren't known issues like you do, it's the only option.

The build is running pretty well for me so far. Battery life is still a problem, though.

Certainly feels better now. Also the backup/restore process has been improved the last time I did it. Neat.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
So remember I said I am buying Nexus 5X for my GF. She had Lumia 900 and then 830 prior to this.

And she fucking hates Android already.

Misses the start scree, No glance screen, No dedicated camera button, notifications are bad, keyboard sucks.

lol I am like ya, but you have all the apps.

So all three platforms have short comings.

So remember I said I am buying Nexus 5X for my GF. She had Lumia 900 and then 830 prior to this.

Misses the start scree, No glance screen, No dedicated camera button, notifications are bad, keyboard sucks.

Hahaha, yeah, I feel similarly. There's a lot I miss about Windows Phone, for sure.

iOS, as a UI design, feels absolutely archaic. I can't remember the term for it, but this shuffling row organization, as opposed to static placement (like Windows--haven't used Android), is horrible.

I have two family members with Lumias.

One has an 830, wants more apps, but anything else is 'too complicated'. Yes, even iPhone.

The other has a 1020, loves it and is fine with it, but no Windows 10 update has fucked him right over. No replacement in sight, and still no phone has really matched the camera.

clav

You can launch the camera in Marshmallow by double tapping the power key. I can do this on a 4 year old device. You may have to enable it in settings.

You can snap a photo by using the volume rocker supposedly while in the photo app.

Notifications are the best on this platform.

I can't do anything about the start screen, but the Nexus 5X has a feature similar to the glance screen. It's called Ambient Display and it's an Android feature.

x4kr5Mw.jpg

You can find it under Settings, Display. It shows a low-resolution black and white version of the lockscreen. It uses the gyroscope to activate it, when you pull it out of the pocket of lift it from the table.

Regarding the camera button. Double-pressing the power button from a locked/sleep state brings you straight to the camera and the volume-up button acts as the shutter button.

If you don't like the pre-installed Google keyboard, you can always give SwiftKey a try.

JaggedSac

José Mourinho;201533244 said:
A power button + volume down reset, whatever that's called, solved it for all of an hour. There's new firmware available on the Recovery Tool so I'll give that a bash.

What firmrware version is it that is available on the recovery tool?

My wife knew about the double tap to go to camera app, but I don't think she knows about the volume rocker. Does it focus before taking the picture when using the volume button?

TBH, I'm shocked Apple hasn't copied Glance yet. Every time I look at my iPhone, I think its battery is dead.

Such a simple yet fantastic feature.

What firmrware version is it that is available on the recovery tool?

My wife knew about the double tap to go to camera app, but I don't think she knows about the volume rocker. Does it focus before taking the picture when using the volume button?

Yep, it does focus before taking the picture.

Nut sure what a Surface Phone should change in that regard? If you want to move away, you move away.

Personally, I'm hoping that by the time a Surface Phone rolls around, W10 will be in an acceptable state and will have a decent backing of universal apps behind it.

It's hard to tell how many of my 950 issues were just software, hardware, or a mix, but I'm sure the Surface Phone's hardware would be a significant upgrade--at the very least, in terms of construction and aesthetic.

Klocker

On new Redstone build, anyone having issues with Messaging app? It works most of the time but crashes repeatedly when texting fast and furiously and or if messages get longer in content

Top Bottom