• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Nero3000

Samsung has the best camera, but I've had bad experiences over time with their flagships. Things just deteriorate like in WM10. And watch any video of the Touchwiz OS vs iPhone or HTC 10. It just isn't as responsive, unlike the lightning quick iOS or HTC 10. That stuff will only get worse as you install apps.

HTC 10 would be my bet if I wasn't already an iPhone SE owner. Heck, ya'll know me and my phone-swapping ways, I may end up selling the iPhone for the HTC 10. HTC M8 was legit the best Android experience I ever had, and it held up beautifully. The camera sucked, but apparently the camera on the 10 is pretty good.

So, anyway, I haven't sold my 950 but my SE is the daily driver now, so................who's left? Schuey?

Me...950 all the way. Until surface phone.

Its just so much more productive for work than the work iphone.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Man please drop the 950 XL to $300 and I'll grab on tomorrow. I don't need no stinking BOGO.

my exactly reaction, I don't want to go through hassle to sell this :(

And its Windows mobile, its already hard to find anyone who want this.

Anyone in this thread, who is in Toronto wants to buy it off me?

I have a friend in US, so I order my stuff through him just checked the price on Ebay for XL, after conversion I can get it for around $600-$610 CAD. Here they are already selling it for $850+13% TAX, That's $360 more.

So LOL I don't know if its that helpful at the end of the day.

I wonder if the B1G1 will stack with any other promotions. It would be pretty tempting if it did because then I could grab a cheap 920 off of eBay and then stack the trade-in discount with the education discount and get both phones for about $500 after taxes and other fees.
yeah I saw the $150 trade in offer for a 920/925/1020. guess I'll call my local MS store to find out if it's stackable.

I got an email to download WordFlow today on IOS. Easily as good as the Windows phone version. The one handed mode is sweet.

Link, please. SwiftKey is so inferior it's not funny, but at least it's faster than nothing.

EDIT: Got it, showed up in the store 15 mins later. US.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So far, this keyboard is just as good as the Windows phone version in terms of word recognition and predictions. It even allows for different backgrounds. Needs a few more options, like the ability to add the coma key. Also, I prefer the solid trail used in the Windows version when swiping rather than the dots used in this version.

But man oh man, does this thing make using the iPhone a million times better.

Paganmoon

The thing about the Windows Phone keyboard isn't just the awesome word prediction, it's that you can actually freaking type on it as compared to iOS absolut shit keyboard buttons.

Going in halvsies with some rando seems like its asking for trouble. If the other guy pays, what are you going to do in the not unlikely event that the phone needs to be returned? If you pay, are you willing to commit to possible multiple return trips to the store with this internet person when their phone breaks?

The thing about the Windows Phone keyboard isn't just the awesome word prediction, it's that you can actually freaking type on it as compared to iOS absolut shit keyboard buttons.

Speaking of which did the last few win10 insider builds f*cked up the keyboard for you guys too? Mine is now terrible at swiping and at giving suggestions, I end up just typing because it's so damn frustrating.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Going in halvsies with some rando seems like its asking for trouble. If the other guy pays, what are you going to do in the not unlikely event that the phone needs to be returned? If you pay, are you willing to commit to possible multiple return trips to the store with this internet person when their phone breaks?

Nah, they give you a receipt and also email you. each person keeps one. The only problem is, you will never be able to get full refund for obvious reason. Yu need both devices for that. But replacing a device and using warranty? Yeah no issue with that. MS store people are super helpful.

joshschw

Just wanted to say that I hard reset my HTC one m8 because the camera AF was acting up (still is, so I guess it's just broken :( ), and the out of box experience for setting up and restoring data is very good! It's improved in a major way since 10586 went live back in November(?)

M3d10n

Dear lord, doing some Android development over the past month makes me pray MS don't give up the phone market because freaking Google needs as much competition as they can get. I though testing IAPs on iOS was annoying, with having to switch iTunes accounts and such, but Google takes it to a whole new level of moronic. What a goddamn mess. I can't believe I'm having to hack my way through 4 year old bugs that have never been fixed (the stackOverflow thread is still going!).

Sorry, just had to vent.

MCD

Mobile won't be phased out. I suspect it's just the Lumia line. Whether they make a brand new mobile or rely on OEMs like HP is the question.

So after going through the hassle of setting up a US iTunes account to try out Word Flow my initial impressions are good. The fact that it's snappy when opening up is a plus. One thing I had noticed with other 3rd party keyboards was how janky they were when opening.

clav

Dear lord, doing some Android development over the past month makes me pray MS don't give up the phone market because freaking Google needs as much competition as they can get. I though testing IAPs on iOS was annoying, with having to switch iTunes accounts and such, but Google takes it to a whole new level of moronic. What a goddamn mess. I can't believe I'm having to hack my way through 4 year old bugs that have never been fixed (the stackOverflow thread is still going!).

Sorry, just had to vent.

No you should vent since a lot of endusers don't see any of that, so they think devs like their current tools.

per the website, deal looks stackable.

uDYAyZ3.jpg

joshschw

So I stuck 14328 on my laptop. It's so nice to see how quickly they are patching up the bugs. I had 143-whatever on there the other week, but it was so buggy and I couldn't even use it because of that. Rolled back to release and suddenly my print and share options were broken. So I took the chance on 14328 and glad I did.

Things are coming together very nicely. Wish I had a phone that supported Redstone builds because I'd love to have them interacting. I'll probably get one summertime when Redstone officially hits.

Just an FYI to someone wondering if they may want it on their PC or not.

M3d10n

Redstone is shaping nicely, but the mobile version needs some bug squashing.

No you should vent since a lot of endusers don't see any of that, so they think devs like their current tools.

Some things actually do hit end users, like problems with in app purchases in a device with multiple Google accounts where the workarounds range from reinstalling the app using a browser on a PC to factory resetting the device, which will likely cause the person to give up the purchase entirely. And then people wonder why conversion rates in Android are so bad...

hadareud

The Translator
Redstone is shaping nicely, but the mobile version needs some bug squashing.

Desktop even more so, imo.

I rolled back to release on my SP4 because of the bugs (blue screens, Edge dodgy, video being dodgy etc.). The phone version is quite useable, but buggy as fuck too. Unlock is unreliable, automatic screen brightness is unreliable etc.

Still a few months until release though, so I guess it's to be expected.

With the exception of the Icon (Which I doubt MS gives a crap about) aren't all of those phones getting Windows 10? They probably limited the offer to phones that were not getting upgraded as an apology of sorts.
true but the 92X is nearly 4 yrs old, no apology is required. my 920 still works today except for the busted sim tray, amazing phone.

MCD

some MS stuff is really odd at Android land:

Groove, Xbox One Smartglass and Bing are US only? No Bing/Windows maps apps either. I really wanted Windows maps because I had some locations bookmarked there. Oh well, At least I have Gmpas and Here Drive.

Groove is useless. Must own Groove music pass to sync my collection? WTF.

I really miss Edge.

But positive stuff:

Outlook is amazeballs. Was able to sync all my contacts into Google contacts with ease using the app. Love it.

One Drive is awesome too.

And it's good to have more apps. Especially region-based apps. The UI is such a bore though lol.

kazinova

I miss more and more things from WP as time goes on. Having to reboot the 5X every couple days to make the WiFi or Camera work makes me feel like I'm back on Insider Preview (how cozy feeling) despite being on the current release. (I'm not on N)

Something about how contacts work with Outlook on Android prevents me from updating the profile images on contacts. Super frustrating. The camera is trash compared to the wife's 950xl but I knew that going in.

As much as it's nice not having to wonder if an app will be available or not. (Clash Royale is tits btw) I looked at the 950/950xl deal and started thinking that finding a rando on th internet to split would get me into a nice 950...

Damnit, Windows Phone, I can't quit you!

JaggedSac

I miss more and more things from WP as time goes on. Having to reboot the 5X every couple days to make the WiFi or Camera work makes me feel like I'm back on Insider Preview (how cozy feeling) despite being on the current release. (I'm not on N)

Something about how contacts work with Outlook on Android prevents me from updating the profile images on contacts. Super frustrating. The camera is trash compared to the wife's 950xl but I knew that going in.

As much as it's nice not having to wonder if an app will be available or not. (Clash Royale is tits btw) I looked at the 950/950xl deal and started thinking that finding a rando on th internet to split would get me into a nice 950...

We would welcome you back with dead lifeless arms.

I called the MS store and the knowledgeable reply I spoke to confirmed the BOGO deal is stackable with both the $150 trade in promo and the educational 10% discount. Woo-hoo!

I also loaded the latest Redstone build in my 830 and it looked great in comparison to the previous builds.

Gonna be hard parting with the 920 but looking forward to the 950XL.

Treo360

Love my 950 xl. So much lighter than the 1520. Might get the wife on it as she likes it. We have a 920 to trade and we could sell the free 950

Stockholm syndrome at its finest.

hadareud

The Translator
I understand that you are hearing concerns from certain partners about Microsoft's commitment to the mobile space.

Let me be very clear: We are committed to deliver Windows 10 on mobile devices with small screen running ARM processors.

We are currently in development of our next generation products and I wanted to reconfirm our commitment to Windows 10 Mobile. We believe in this product's value to business customers and it is our intention to support the Windows 10 Mobile platform for many years. We have a device roadmap to support that from Microsoft as well as our OEM partners who will also be selling an expanded lineup of phone devices based on this platform.

http://www.windowscentral.com/microsofts-committed-windows-10-mobile

One more year, at least, then.

Top Bottom