• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

What problem with the Surface are you talking about?

In other news, in Sweden we have an mobile ID system, which all banks are connected to, also pretty much all government services with logins use it, so the latest update (on iOS) for the app accepts touchID, instead of the pincode. Would've love for this to be adopted in the Windows Phone version. (they're actually pretty good with updates on the WP version of the app). Does Microsoft allow other programs to use the Windows Hello API yet?
IIRC, it's a part of the Redstone update.

this_guy

Lolipop has been one of the reasons android sales have been down, it's a buggy, crashy, security breaking, virus inducing, broken piece of crap. You would be amazed ant how many complaints you find about lolipop. Lolipop wasn't even finished when they released the update or the phones with it built in way more than any other "new" os has been. Mashmellow was supposed to fix Lolipops problems, it doesn't.

If you are using Android than G7 is your best bet as you need a high end phone with a good skin ui to really run Lolipop or Marshmellow at a decent rate. Android doesn't work below that. At least not since the last two updates. Of course over time, like a few months, you'll start having issues just like most android users.

Windows Phone users are becoming delusional. All this Android hating to boost your own insecurities about the state of the platform. Android is a great OS nowadays, but even back in its Gingerbread days it was not as buggy as the current Windows Phone 10 operating system. Think about that.

For the record - I owned and used a Nokia 920, HTC 8x, and Nokia 925. I wanted the 950 and Windows Phone 10 to do well but it's been a buggy mess. No I haven't used it myself but I've seen enough in reviews and in this thread what kind of buggy mess the OS has been.

MCD

The fact you think Windows 10 on a device it wasn't build for means you don't need the 950 really makes me wonder if you were ever a windows phone user at all beacust that statement is ludicrous.

Win 10 on any Lumia or other Phone that isn't Lumia, that wasn't built with WIndows 10 is the same as updating your previous android phones to Lolipop. It's filled with issues that will make your life miserable, though not as much as lolipop.

Lolipop has been one of the reasons android sales have been down, it's a buggy, crashy, security breaking, virus inducing, broken piece of crap. You would be amazed ant how many complaints you find about lolipop. Lolipop wasn't even finished when they released the update or the phones with it built in way more than any other "new" os has been. Mashmellow was supposed to fix Lolipops problems, it doesn't.

If you are using Android than G7 is your best bet as you need a high end phone with a good skin ui to really run Lolipop or Marshmellow at a decent rate. Android doesn't work below that. At least not since the last two updates. Of course over time, like a few months, you'll start having issues just like most android users.

Did I just got accused of not being a WP user? Oh lord.

Windows Phone users are becoming delusional. All this Android hating to boost your own insecurities about the state of the platform. Android is a great OS nowadays, but even back in its Gingerbread days it was not as buggy as the current Windows Phone 10 operating system. Think about that.

For the record - I owned and used a Nokia 920, HTC 8x, and Nokia 925. I wanted the 950 and Windows Phone 10 to do well but it's been a buggy mess. No I haven't used it myself but I've seen enough in reviews and in this thread what kind of buggy mess the OS has been.
We aren't delusional at all. We know support sucks ass, but love the phone enough to weather it and see if there's a better day tomorrow. I'd say I'm 95% satisfied with my Windows Phone. And the 5% of it that I'm not satisfied with, isn't a big deal to me.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I like some of the notification tweeks in the Action Center in the recent build.

Need to give some feedback regarding the lock screen music controls. Windows Hello gets in the way of it.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
If you say anything bad about Android, you are doing it to prop up Windows phone? Lol ok.

I wonder who I'm propping up when I go hard on Windows phone.

this_guy

If you say anything bad about Android, you are doing it to prop up Windows phone? Lol ok.

I wonder who I'm propping up when I go hard on Windows phone.

I'll go criticize Android and iPhone too. I should restate that it's not all Windows Phone users, but there's quite a vocal few who make it seem like Android is a buggier mess than Windows Phone 10. That screams delusion to me. Windows Phone 10 seems like it has more bugs than running a custom rom on Android like Cyanogen.

Van I've seen you criticize other phones and OS'es before, and you hate on them equally so I've got no problems with that. (I think you're the one I also sold the Nokia 925 to back in the day). I'll complain about iPhone and Android too in their respective threads about things that annoy me after using them, but I'll do so without exaggerating the faults of another os.

lolwut

Have you even read the last few pages? Nothing but discussion about which platform to jump ship to because of how buggy the platform is, how its sales have nosedived, etc.

Yeah it's unfair to paint all Windows Phone users (I used to be one). It's just a few vocal ones.

JaggedSac

Have your read the reviews or this thread? That's enough for me, and I enjoyed Windows Phone 7 and 8.

From many months ago? Sure. That last non-preview cumulative update worked pretty flawlessly for myself on both my M8(an unsupported device btw) and my 950. Even on the latest Redstone my only complaint since they fixed my camera issue(which was introduced once I got on the Redstone branch) is the weird spacing crap that happens when it autocorrects my typing in Edge. And that is only mildly irritating.

joshschw

loving this_guy;s argument here. He's never used it, but he found some posts/blogs that say such and such and that's enough for him.

Meanwhile, those same posts/blogs that disagree with his assessment are just "delusional" ramblings.

People hand me the latest Galaxy-line phones all the time for help with bugs/problems. I'll take all my W10 mobile bugs over them every single day.

this_guy

loving this_guy;s argument here. He's never used it, but he found some posts/blogs that say such and such and that's enough for him.

Meanwhile, those same posts/blogs that disagree with his assessment are just "delusional" ramblings.

People hand me the latest Galaxy-line phones all the time for help with bugs/problems. I'll take all my W10 mobile bugs over them every single day.

Are we acting like reviews weren't full of bugs? Am I making this stuff up?

You surely showed me with your anecdotal evidence.

NeOak

I have access to two 950s: One is an AT&T variant and the other is a Dual-SIM from the MS store.

Both are quite stable now. Reboots are rare. Both just work.

6 months ago? lol it was a mess. Now? I can see myself moving on from WP8.1 Update 2.

So yes, your info is quite out of date.

joshschw

What makes you think I have even the slightest desire to show you anything? I'm not the one coming in here trying to stir people up.

this_guy

What makes you think I have even the slightest desire to show you anything? I'm not the one coming in here trying to stir people up.

Maybe that would be believable if you hadn't quoted me and specifically mentioned my name. Seems like you wanted to show me something.

I'm open to seeing reasons why people still have faith in the platform. Like I said I'm formally a Windows Phone user and I still follow this thread because I want to hear about news and updates.

joshschw

Maybe that would be believable if you hadn't quoted me and specifically mentioned my name. Seems like you wanted to show me something.

Actually I did not quote you initially - stop making up stories. I was trying to put a stop to people engaging your nonsense.

Hopefully no one will address you from now on.

MCD

I wish the 950 was dirt cheap. It's hard to just quit and forget this OS.

Gotta live with this Android and be all social and shit till I score one cheap.

Tomcat

I am on 218 on both 920/930 and they are smooth with out any noticeable bugs. 99% of all this bugs wouldn't be appeared if the people that are whining did a hard reset before.

MRSA

Banned
I'm actually quite liking this Lumia 640 on Windows 10, its no speed demon like my 6S but for a phone I bought for $10 its great. I have yet to actually use it as a phone though, don't have a nanosim converter. I'll probably get a 650 if/when it goes on clearance like the 640 did.

MCD

Microsoft Accounts (Auth app) on Android: You just click on approve.

Windows Phone? Must copy or type the password shown. Gee, thanks MS!

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Bastards didnt give me student discount. Paid $960 CAD in total, guy is picking up his L950 tonight for $450.

I paid total $510 for XL after taxes. Not bad. Right? lol just wondering if I should have bought the warranty or not.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Bastards didnt give me student discount. Paid $960 CAD in total, guy is picking up his L950 tonight for $450.

I paid total $510 for XL after taxes. Not bad. Right? lol just wondering if I should have bought the warranty or not.

Cool. I definitely regret not getting the MS Care extended warranty *looks at my cracked screen

You still can though at a later date if you show ni damage on your phone I believe.

BeforeU

Cool. I definitely regret not getting the MS Care extended warranty *looks at my cracked screen

You still can though at a later date if you show ni damage on your phone I believe.

Ya you are right. I will probably go buy it tomorrow now. Instead of spending $40+ on case and screen protectors. I will just get the warranty.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Think I'm going to roll back to the production build. Not having Groove work is something I can live with. For the most part the insider builds are coming along as are new features, etc.

The warranty on my 920 more than paid for itself. 13 months after buying a 920 and the proximity sensor starts acting up? You get a 1520!

I'm actually quite liking this Lumia 640 on Windows 10, its no speed demon like my 6S but for a phone I bought for $10 its great. I have yet to actually use it as a phone though, don't have a nanosim converter. I'll probably get a 650 if/when it goes on clearance like the 640 did.
650 is beautiful. more premium looking than the 950s.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
One of these days I should get a Mozo case for my 950XL. The new wood one looks cool.

Best thing so far about rolling back is no more space bug in Edge.

For what it worth I have been using Android (One Plus One) for the last two years and like Brot this is the longest that I have a smartphone. I am not going to say it's perfect and I do miss using Windows Phone but Android without the OEM bloatwares is pretty good and the access to apps far out weight going back to Windows Phone especially without Nokia Lumia hardware and buggy Windows Mobile 10 that is a far cry from what make me fall in love with Metro of Windows Phone 7.

Van, you picked Android phones that shackle with bloatwares may be try the Nexus or one of the Android phone with minimum intrusion. My son has Nexus 5X and so far he is happy with it. I am tempted to trade in all our Windows Phone and get the 950 but until I can get apps and stable OS it's hard for me to come back at this point. Microsoft both mobile and Xbox had left me care very little for their platform and I found myself slowly migrated to all Android eco as there are less and less reason for me to stay with Microsoft. They always promise a lot but fail at delivery for the last few years. With new CEO I think they are no longer consumer market centric.

On another note, may be some of you Euro-gaf can offer me suggestion. My son moved to Italy last week and he will be station near Venice for the next 3 years what kind of mobile plans are available and what is good service provider. He might be traving to Germany. Thanks in advance if you can help.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I think MS has delivered a lot lately, not necessarily in the mobile space, but Windows 10 on PCs is pretty great and keeps getting better. Also the X1 has been a solid console for me, more games than I could ever have time for.

I feel like like it's still a far cry from the early heyday of Xbox 360 weekly awesome arcade line up may be I am just getting too old for video games or just bitter that they let so many great studio go during their pursuit of Xbox One TV and Kinect. Studio like SKA now making Ps4 game, just make me a bitter old man.

MCD

BTW I love the sharing model used in Android/S7. Why on earth MS still doesn't have something as powerful yet?

BeforeU

Not happy with the battery life so far :(
And fuck no double tap to wake up? Really MS? REALLY?

Had this feature on my $130 L640

KageMaru

I feel like like it's still a far cry from the early heyday of Xbox 360 weekly awesome arcade line up may be I am just getting too old for video games or just bitter that they let so many great studio go during their pursuit of Xbox One TV and Kinect. Studio like SKA now making Ps4 game, just make me a bitter old man.

We can thank Don Mattrick for how the Xbox One started off. To be fair, Phil has done a pretty good job with the system considering what he had to deal with.

Doffen

This week I've seen lots of online ads for Lumia 950 and 950 XL here in Norway. Maybe Microsoft finally figured out that consumers need to know about the device to consider purchasing it.

Top Bottom