• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Took only 3 years.

But at least this one is based on the iOS version.
is it the new rumored black and white theme? or the old blue theme?

why am I even asking, I already know the answer.

edit: instagram out of beta, surface phone rumors, and the new builds looking beautiful, I think its finally time for a W10M thread.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Instagram app is pretty rad now.

I wish more developers start porting their iOS apps.

btw not lunching messenger app for mobile and making PC only at the moment is fucking retarded

ElNino

Instagram app is pretty rad now.
Can anyone else not download Instagram? When go to it on the store if gives me a message about not meeting the hardware requirements and won't let me install it. I'm pretty sure a 950 XL should meet whatever requirements they have.

ElNino

I was able to get it on my XL, but I had the beta previously.
I'm pretty sure I had installed the Beta previously as well, but it doesn't work now. Seems to be a common problem from the replies to their tweet about it.

I wonder if it has to do with being on Release Preview ring?

Paganmoon

I'm pretty sure I had installed the Beta previously as well, but it doesn't work now. Seems to be a common problem from the replies to their tweet about it.

I'm on fast ring/Redstone and I could download it.

joshschw

I am on Release Preview ring and had no problem.

On another note, per thurrott.com, it does seem like Microsoft/Facebook will be releasing the new Facebook app for mobile in coming weeks!

"The new Facebook app for Windows 10 Mobile is “coming soon,” Microsoft says, and you can expect “more great experiences from Facebook” on Windows 10 mobile soon as well."

hadareud

The Translator
I've been using Facebook a bit more than usual in the last few days (Web, mobile (both WP and Android) and the new W10 app).

Is there such a thing as a good Facebook experience?

From what I can see, it sucks equally on all platforms. It's slow, the timeline is a mess, the interfaces suck everywhere, it's a pain in the arse to use it. Having a relatively fully featured W10 app is nice in theory, but in reality I still hate everything about it.

Maybe it's just me.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I've been using Facebook a bit more than usual in the last few days (Web, mobile (both WP and Android) and the new W10 app).

From what I can see, it sucks equally on all platforms. It's slow, the timeline is a mess, the interfaces suck everywhere, it's a pain in the arse to use it. Having a relatively fully featured W10 app is nice in theory, but in reality I still hate everything about it.

Maybe it's just me.

I'm afraid there's no platform that delivers a 100% glitch and frustration free Facebook experience.

iOS and Android versions are all kinda wonky in their own ways.

M3d10n

Some promising looking stuff, like Cortana location based reminders. I'll use it a ton... when it becomes non buggy.

Maybe it's just me.

The new W10 desktop app seems to be the closest thing. I'm using it because the auto playing videos destroy my browser on the website.

JaggedSac

Facebook has become a shit show in general. It seems like a complete crapshoot as to when and where posts show up on my feed. Either that or I am getting old and don't know how to use it properly.

hadareud

The Translator
There's an option to show the most recent posts in the W10 app (hidden near the bottom on the left), but the top stories thing is just shite everywhere imo.

I'm also still receiving ghost group invite notifications which is annoying.

Then there's the inane crap that people actually post which I find highly offensive, but that's not necessarily Facebook's fault. Motivational videos and phrases, please do fuck off, people. And no, Einstein never said that the definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over again and expecting different results and whoever did is a cunthound of the highest order.

There's an option to show the most recent posts in the W10 app (hidden near the bottom on the left), but the top stories thing is just shite everywhere imo.

I'm also still receiving ghost group invite notifications which is annoying.

The fact that I can actually modify my Facebook global settings from the app is a godsend. Compared to the WP app it is miles better, even if FB is shit across all ecosystems.

Then there's the inane crap that people actually post which I find highly offensive, but that's not necessarily Facebook's fault. Motivational videos and phrases, please do fuck off, people. And no, Einstein never said that the definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over again and expecting different results and whoever did is a cunthound of the highest order.
This is more a trend than anything else. I expect this type of posts to eventually fizzle out, even if a new annoyance takes their place.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Listening to brot/Thurrott on Windows weekly and dude is legit saying that people who use Windows phone are "harming" themselves. Also that people who say that it has all the apps they need don't know what they are talking about and simply don't know better. Like you can't own a Windows phone and an iPad or Android tablet.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Listening to brot/Thurrott on Windows weekly and dude is legit saying that people who use Windows phone are "harming" themselves. Also that people who say that it has all the apps they need don't know what they are talking about and simply don't know better. Like you can't own a Windows phone and an iPad or Android tablet.

Yeah, sometimes he is just a dick. I agree with him occasionally.

dLMN8R

That's nothing new to Thurrott. He likes to pretend he's even-handed and is just stating "reality" or whatever, but the fact is that he's incapable of seeing any nuanced disagreement with his opinions. It's just as true today where he hates Windows Phone as it was a couple years ago when he laughed at people who hated Windows Phone.

My wife, in the meantime, is absolutely in love with her Lumia 950 XL since it takes the best pictures of any phone on the planet, and that's by far the most important thing to her. She doesn't use any apps at all - even those which have excellent Windows Phone version - and couldn't care less about the apps she doesn't have.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
That's nothing new to Thurrott. He likes to pretend he's even-handed and is just stating "reality" or whatever, but the fact is that he's incapable of seeing any nuanced disagreement with his opinions. It's just as true today where he hates Windows Phone as it was a couple years ago when he laughed at people who hated Windows Phone.

My wife, in the meantime, is absolutely in love with her Lumia 950 XL since it takes the best pictures of any phone on the planet, and that's by far the most important thing to her. She doesn't use any apps at all - even those which have excellent Windows Phone version - and couldn't care less about the apps she doesn't have.

How can you willingly let her harm herself!

Also the camera is amazing and since I went back to the production build my XL has been great.

clav

Yeah he can be extremely irritating to follow on Twitter. Occasionally he says something funny, but a lot of times, he is downright offensive.

Windows Phone users are becoming delusional. All this Android hating to boost your own insecurities about the state of the platform. Android is a great OS nowadays, but even back in its Gingerbread days it was not as buggy as the current Windows Phone 10 operating system. Think about that.

For the record - I owned and used a Nokia 920, HTC 8x, and Nokia 925. I wanted the 950 and Windows Phone 10 to do well but it's been a buggy mess. No I haven't used it myself but I've seen enough in reviews and in this thread what kind of buggy mess the OS has been.

Uh No even android users don't like Lolipop. See I use both WIndows and android. The random assumption that anybody saying android is bad in anyway are delusional is nothing but you panicking.

Lolipop is a complain across the board, especially for low end phones or phones with low storage where it's even worse.

If you say anything bad about Android, you are doing it to prop up Windows phone? Lol ok.

I wonder who I'm propping up when I go hard on Windows phone.

BlackBerry

650 is beautiful. more premium looking than the 950s.

OS works well too, but that processor can show its weakness at times.

this_guy

Uh No even android users don't like Lolipop. See I use both WIndows and android. The random assumption that anybody saying android is bad in anyway are delusional is nothing but you panicking.

Lolipop is a complain across the board, especially for low end phones or phones with low storage where it's even worse.

I never said that. I even said I'll criticize parts of Android I don't like. What I did say is Windows Phone 10 is a buggy mess and has more issues than Gingerbread.

Paganmoon

I never said that. I even said I'll criticize parts of Android I don't like. What I did say is Windows Phone 10 is a buggy mess and has more issues than Gingerbread.

If you're going by the posts in this thread, it's cause pretty much all of us are on Insider Preview Fast Ring. That means, we're currently getting builds pretty much straight from their development branch. This is not indicative of general problems with Windows 10 Mobile (though there are of course some issues)

mm04

If you're going by the posts in this thread, it's cause pretty much all of us are on Insider Preview Fast Ring. That means, we're currently getting builds pretty much straight from their development branch. This is not indicative of general problems with Windows 10 Mobile (though there are of course some issues)

I've had my 950 for months and it's been fine. I can't remember the last time it rebooted on its own. But whatever. I like the OS and love the camera. I'm not an app hoarder, so it's fine for me. The only one I wish it had, and supposedly it's coming, is BofA.

WIndows 10 is stable in relation to most of all android and reviewers agree. You are talking about people putting insider builds on their phones. Including Phones that won't get the official update to WIndows 10.

Windows 10 on pretty most devices from Coship, Alcatel, Yezz, 950/650/550 lumias, etc. run well.

this_guy

WIndows 10 is stable in relation to most of all android and reviewers agree. You are talking about people putting insider builds on their phones. Including Phones that won't get the official update to WIndows 10.

Windows 10 on pretty most devices from Coship, Alcatel, Yezz, 950/650/550 lumias, etc. run well.

I'm talking about Windows Phone 10. We're talking about mobile operating systems in this thread and I think you know that. And reviews weren't pretty.

I'm talking about Windows Phone 10. We're talking about mobile operating systems in this thread and I think you know that. And reviews weren't pretty.

Actually if you're going to go that baby route of "I'm going to take your obvious post out of context" then it's not windows phone 10 it's WIndows 10 Mobile. Were talking about mobile operating systems here in this thread and I think you know that :).

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I saw the reviews of Lumia 950 amd XL when they were launched. While I understand they were buggy mess at that time. I am running the Production Build since last 2 days. I am constantly looking for a bug and it has been outstanding so far. Flawless tbh.

Did they release a W10M build update in the past few weeks?

After I hard reset my 950 (because of all the bugs), I was keeping a OneNote log titled "My Shitty 950" to track all the regular issues I had with it.

NeOak

Yeah, that surface phone won't have x86 at all.

Intel could be on the verge of exiting the market for smartphones and standalone tablets, wasting billions of dollars it spent trying to expand in those markets.

The company is immediately canceling Atom chips, code-named Sofia and Broxton, for mobile devices, an Intel spokeswoman confirmed.

Intel's mobile chip roadmap now has a giant hole after the cancellation of the chips. Intel's existing smartphone and tablet-only chips are aging and due for upgrades, and no major replacements are in sight. Sofia is already shipping, and Broxton was due to ship this year but had been delayed.

Intel is also discontinuing its Atom X5 line of tablet chips code-named Cherry Trail, which is being replaced by Pentium and Celeron chips code-named Apollo Lake, aimed more at hybrids than pure tablets. Many PC makers are already choosing Intel's Skylake Core M processors over Cherry Trail for hybrids and PC-like tablets.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3063...-tablet-markets-after-cutting-atom-chips.html

Top Bottom