• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

M3d10n

Wait, double tap doesn't work only on the 950? I kept reading about how they removed it, but when I upgraded my 640 it worked and still does. The setting for it is right there in the lock screen settings.

clav

I was about to post this.

I don't even know if they are just that incompetent or if they have been resourced starved to the point of having to remove one of Windows Phone's most lauded and relatively unique features.
Confirms how feature incomplete Windows 10 is.

Redstone 2 looks more like the build 10 should have released.

On lighter news, I managed to 'remotely' update my Mum's Lumia 830 to Windows 10. Aside from ease of access settings being reset (she had text at 200%), it seems to have been pretty painless. Apparently it feels faster, and the photos seem better than before (of course, neither of these are objective assessments, but she's happier with it regardless).

Shame about the brother's Lumia 1020. He's sticking it out and hoping that the Lumia 950 continues to drop like a stone - it's the only Windows Mobile camera that even comes close.

clav

That's not a OS level feature, that's a firmware feature, as the 640 has double tap to wake when on Windows 10 Mobile.

Mmm not sure since it's closed source. My guess is something with the kernel.

When you have the same kernel operating on different hardware, you will have bugs on one setup that won't occur on another.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I wasn't going to buy the case since I bought the warranty now. But still considering getting one thin case. Not too expensive, can anyone suggest me some?

Also looking for a car mount for 950XL

this_guy

Mmm not sure since it's closed source. My guess is something with the kernel.

When you have the same kernel operating on different hardware, you will have bugs on one setup that won't occur on another.

The LG G2 is the first phone I remember that had that feature. Plus on Android it's something you can add to other phones using Nova Launcher. I wouldn't think it would be that difficult for Microsoft to add back in to their phones.

Got the 950 bogo deal. Surprised to see a couple of other people in there also looking into the deal. So far, I like my XL but my wife's 950's shell doesn't sit too flush and seems to open too easily.

The LG G2 is the first phone I remember that had that feature. Plus on Android it's something you can add to other phones using Nova Launcher. I wouldn't think it would be that difficult for Microsoft to add back in to their phones.

The Lumia 925 did it first, the 920 got the feature in the same year with the Amber firmware update.

BeforeU

Got the 950 bogo deal. Surprised to see a couple of other people in there also looking into the deal. So far, I like my XL but my wife's 950's shell doesn't sit too flush and seems to open too easily.

Ye, replace it.

btw put your XL on production build. Its flawless, it was smoother than the update I got officially.

Treo360

I can't get my wife's 950 xl passed the 10586.218 update despite choosing insider fast. It will reset as planned, and then when I go to check for updates I get nothing other than a message saying there is no updates available.

BeforeU

Why would you put your wife on the fast insider ring? You guys are crazy, then complain about things not working right.

lol I was about the say the same. Stay away from Fast and even Slow ring for everyday use. Put it on Production Build. Phone works great.

Ye, replace it.

btw put your XL on production build. Its flawless, it was smoother than the update I got officially.
950 had a busted sim slot. Sim worked in sim slot 2 but not 1. We plan on traveling next month so I replaced the entire phone. Now both sim slots work and the shell fits better.

Meanwhile, on my 950XL I noticed I can't get rid of the "sim 1" indicator on my live tile. Wife's 950 doesn't have this issue. Once sim slot 2 was turned off the "sim 1" indicator went away. Any ideas?

On the production build and so far so good. The only bugs I noticed are some random Amazon and Ebay app crashes but both are old apps.

Edit: First impressions on the new phones. The rear camera is amazing. Basically, 1020 quality but speedy and snappy all around, even when processing HDR. What's disappointing is the front camera. Even my $150 Blu phone has a better one and even has an front flash. Windows Hello is pretty impressive other than having to hold the phone too close to your face. The out of the box experience is pretty shitty. The 950 wouldn't even connect to WiFi until it slowly updated to the latest production build and slowly reset. After the long and slow process of updating, the phone worked fine. OS is solid finally, I'm not missing Android one bit.

So any Mozo 950/950XL cover owners wanna chime in? Against my better judgment I wanna order that new real wood back plate for $50. I know it's overpriced for a case that doesn't even protect the edges of the screen but damn it looks good.

JaggedSac

So any Mozo 950/950XL cover owners wanna chime in? Against my better judgment I wanna order that new real wood back plate for $50. I know it's overpriced for a case that doesn't even protect the edges of the screen but damn it looks good.

I've got one of the faux leather ones and have no complaints. Looks much better than the standard back plate.

ElNino

I've got one of the faux leather ones and have no complaints. Looks much better than the standard back plate.
Yep, I have the brown (faux) leather shell for the 950 XL. It's nicer than the stock shell, feels heavier and more solid. NFC and Qi still work fine and I prefer the buttons on the Mozo, even with the slightly recessed power button.

I have a bit of flaking off of the "metal" sides around the bottom corners where it rests in my hand but other than that it has held up well thus far.

I am on windows phone 10 and I want a new browser. I would like on that I can disable ads on since I keep running into my bandwith cap each month. Does anyone have any suggestions?

NeOak

I am on windows phone 10 and I want a new browser. I would like on that I can disable ads on since I keep running into my bandwith cap each month. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Buy an iPhone or an Android phone.

I'm serious. There is no ad blocking.

Or, force data savings all the time. Best you can do on W10M

Buy an iPhone or an Android phone.

I'm serious. There is no ad blocking.

Or, force data savings all the time. Best you can do on W10M

There is a way... it's just extremely convoluted. I don't know whether whitelists are supported, hell I don't even own a Windows Phone anymore. What am I doing here again?

Yep, I have the brown (faux) leather shell for the 950 XL. It's nicer than the stock shell, feels heavier and more solid. NFC and Qi still work fine and I prefer the buttons on the Mozo, even with the slightly recessed power button.

I have a bit of flaking off of the "metal" sides around the bottom corners where it rests in my hand but other than that it has held up well thus far.
$50 for flaking fake metal? thanks for sharing.

ElNino

$50 for flaking fake metal? thanks for sharing.
Well, the flaking is pretty much only right on the corners... but it is there. Honestly they probably aren't worth the $50-$100 that they go for (after shipping and what not), but unfortunately there aren't many options and it seems that the iPhone market has made $50+ cases seem normal.

Day 3 impressions with both the 950 and 950XL.

I really don't mind the power button in between the volume buttons on the XL. I honestly thought I'd hate it but I don't. The XL is slightly too big for my taste. My thumb can't reach across the screen, I think the 950's size is the perfect sweet spot. The XL processes HDR pics faster than the 950.

App gap is an annoyance. Fandango on Android, for example, looks and works great. You buy tickets via the app and your phone is scanned right at entry. Fandango for WP hasn't been updated in years, no ticket purchases for some theaters, no virtual ticket on the app, just a confirmation number that you take to the ticket booth like a second class citizen to get an actual paper ticket.

joshschw

So, I am really liking the Win10 Facebook app. It's super nice. I can't wait for it to come to mobile.

Does anyone know the point of the built-in browser though? It's slow as heck, and it's definitely not even using Edge to render the webpages. What's the point/benefit to this thing? iOS has this?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
So, I am really liking the Win10 Facebook app. It's super nice. I can't wait for it to come to mobile.

Does anyone know the point of the built-in browser though? It's slow as heck, and it's definitely not even using Edge to render the webpages. What's the point/benefit to this thing? iOS has this?

Hopefully the new mobile app will still sync with the people hub, likely not though.

7qghkdo.jpg

950XL pic from inside the TCL Chinese Theatre. I actually bought a micro 4/3 Olympus PL6 and the 950XL comes very close. The PL6 has better depth of field and is slightly better in low light. I'm so impressed with the 950XL that I may sell the PL6.

n64coder

Is anyone using an 830 and on the Windows 10 production builds? I put the Update Advisor app on my wife's phone and it says that her phone qualifies.

How long does it take for the update to actually show up?

M3d10n

Is anyone using an 830 and on the Windows 10 production builds? I put the Update Advisor app on my wife's phone and it says that her phone qualifies.

How long does it take for the update to actually show up?

From what I've seen, after using the Update Advisor and accepting the update, if you can go into settings > backup & update and manually search for an update it will show up straight away.

n64coder

From what I've seen, after using the Update Advisor and accepting the update, if you can go into settings > backup & update and manually search for an update it will show up straight away.

I've done the manual search for update but it has not shown up. I've done this several times over the past few days.

I might try powering the phone off/on and see if it makes a difference.

ElNino

Question for those on W10M (preferably with a 950 or XL) and using an SD card.

If you delete a picture from the Photos app, do you still find it on the SD card despite being deleted from the Photo Gallery? I've noticed that a bunch of photos I deleted were still on the SD card, and they weren't photos that I edited.

Lazaro

Wonder if Sony will port the new Uncharted iOS/Android game to Windows... Could happen, right?

About as likely as Miitomo coming to Windows.

I'm not sure if Nintendo/Sony are comfortable with publishing their their IP's on a direct competitors platform. If that makes sense :p

Tomcat

Question for those on W10M (preferably with a 950 or XL) and using an SD card.

If you delete a picture from the Photos app, do you still find it on the SD card despite being deleted from the Photo Gallery? I've noticed that a bunch of photos I deleted were still on the SD card, and they weren't photos that I edited.

Yeah its a known issue.

Top Bottom