• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

hadareud

The Translator
Probably. But the big growth days are gone for Apple and Samsung too, I'd expect.

I mean the market will remain massive, of course, but it's all about the next big thing now I suspect.

People are acting like a 64% drop is a big surprise. The HTC 10 did not launch until Q2 and the HTC Vive is not on that Q1 report either. I mean, it shouldn't be a surprise they had falling profits when they did not have any good products in the pipeline. This year should turn out to be better for them.

hadareud

The Translator
People are acting like a 64% drop is a big surprise. The HTC 10 did not launch until Q2 and the HTC Vive is not on that Q1 report either. I mean, it shouldn't be a surprise they had falling profits when they did not have any good products in the pipeline. This year should turn out to be better for them.

They didn't have falling profits, they had a 64% loss in revenue. No profits in sight, their losses this quarter were up over 70% on the same quarter last year.

That's not a temporary blip, though I really hope they can recover.

Valient Hearts (the WW1 game) is on mobile which is a bit of a surprise. Great game.

That's fantastic news and the kind of newsworthy stuff that the Windows platform as a whole actually needs (and not "UWP version of Facebook is available!!111). It sounds like Ubisoft added UWP support to their UbiArts engine, which compiles it as a real UWP-app, unlike Quantum Break or Gears of War (which were most likely ported with Project Centennial, the Win32 bridge). Good stuff.

hadareud

The Translator
Almost a gig for a mobile game, jaysus.

Will try it if just because if no one does this will be the only game they'll release.

Almost a gig for a mobile game, jaysus.

Will try it if just because if no one does this will be the only game they'll release.

I assume that Child of Light is in the works as well or it might be, if this game meets their sales expectations.

I'd really love some technical details. Seeing how some UbiArt games also have iOS versions, I wonder if they used the iOS bridge as a base or if they really added UWP support.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I assume that Child of Light is in the works as well or it might be, if this game meets their sales expectations.

I'd really love some technical details. Seeing how some UbiArt games also have iOS versions, I wonder if they used the iOS bridge as a base or if they really added UWP support.

I would be curious as well. Wouldn't mind having Child of Light on my phone since I haven't got around to playing it on my Xbox.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Gave the game a quick try. Seems to run fine. The resolution of the game on XL isn't the greatest however.

Edit: Also looks like there will be a new build/update for non-insiders today.

hadareud

The Translator
Gave the game a quick try. Seems to run fine. The resolution of the game on XL isn't the greatest however.

Edit: Also looks like there will be a new build/update for non-insiders today.

Yes, really low res.

Also, in app purchases don't work - tells me to check my internet connection.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Seems like there have been a bit more games of late. Just downloaded Ski Safari 2 , which is an iOS port. The store description says build for Windows 10. Also downloaded Puzzle Craft 2.

dLMN8R

That's fantastic news and the kind of newsworthy stuff that the Windows platform as a whole actually needs (and not "UWP version of Facebook is available!!111). It sounds like Ubisoft added UWP support to their UbiArts engine, which compiles it as a real UWP-app, unlike Quantum Break or Gears of War (which were most likely ported with Project Centennial, the Win32 bridge). Good stuff.

Project Centennial was absolutely not used for Quantum Break or Gears of War. They're genuinely ported to be Universal Windows Apps using exclusively UWP capabilities.

Project Centennial doesn't even work unless you have Redstone. And when apps use Centennial, it's not really a "port", it's just the Win32 app running in a different container.

Project Centennial was absolutely not used for Quantum Break or Gears of War. They're genuinely ported to be Universal Windows Apps using exclusively UWP capabilities.

Project Centennial doesn't even work unless you have Redstone. And when apps use Centennial, it's not really a "port", it's just the Win32 app running in a different container.

Thank you! I love to learn about these things and would rather be corrected 10 times over, instead of spreading bullshit.

I was wondering about Centennial, because I didn't expect Quantum Break to have a traditional EXE-file within the container or folder.

dLMN8R

Thank you! I love to learn about these things and would rather be corrected 10 times over, instead of spreading bullshit.

I was wondering about Centennial, because I didn't expect Quantum Break to have a traditional EXE-file within the container or folder.

If you look through the WindowsApps folder all apps have an executable of some sort.

JaggedSac

Cool to know.

If you look through the WindowsApps folder all apps have an executable of some sort.

I think I noticed that in few other apps and was wondering about the same thing. Quantum Break also had a "traditional" file structure for a game and I didn't except that for some reason. Again, thank you for clearing it up. I really appreciate it.

M3d10n

In other gaming related news, the libretro team are hoping to release the RetroArch WinRT and BB10 por soon.

http://www.libretro.com/index.php/retroarch-1-3-4-released/

Ehhh? There is an UWP port? I was working on my own at home so I could get better emulators on my 640, lol. Got SNES and Genesis/SMS cores working and a basic XAML UI (rolling my own front end aimed at being user-friendly) and I'm currently working on getting FBA to work.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I updated my 950 and was contemplating putting my sim card back in, but we don't even have the new fb uwp app yet? Crazy. I feel like the core OS is coming along, but the developer support is not.

I updated my 950 and was contemplating putting my sim card back in, but we don't even have the new fb uwp app yet? Crazy. I feel like the core OS is coming along, but the developer support is not.
Based on impressions from people that have gotten their hands on it, doesn't seem like the new Facebook app will be much of an improvement on mobile. Sounds like it's purely a straight iOS port including iOS UI elements and is unlikely to support specific Windows platform features.

I'm also fearful contact integration will be removed with the update (which I believe is also the case with Facebook on android?)

JaggedSac

Based on impressions from people that have gotten their hands on it, doesn't seem like the new Facebook app will be much of an improvement on mobile. Sounds like it's purely a straight iOS port including iOS UI elements and is unlikely to support specific Windows platform features.

I'm also fearful contact integration will be removed with the update (which I believe is also the case with Facebook on android?)

Oh, is that why my wife has been bitching about Facebook profile pictures not being used on contacts?

Tablo

Wasn't that long ago when I thought I was going to get an iPhone SE, but then the BOGO deal started and I bought a new 950 off someone for 320$. Which to me given the negative impressions and lack of polish of the 950, and also the annoyingly finicky/unreliable iris scanner was a price that felt good to me.
It's actually way better than I expected, no doubt due to all the software work done since launch when it was a disaster, put it straight on .242 out of box and life's been good.

Fantastic video/still quality, so happy they kept the HAAC mics they better never get rid of those I love taking video at concerts!
Surface phone not having HAAC mics is something I am really afraid of if they do a clean break from Nokia's lumias. :(
Battery life has stabilized and is decent on .318 so far. The thing charges so fast I'm not too fussed.

W10M is great, I trust it's going to get better with the redstone branch and the anniversary update.
I'm using this great Tudia two tone case, adds bulk but improves ergonomics and is quite protective/stylish. JD tempered glass screen protector.

The desktop one is the same as the ipad, but it supports live tiles at least. But indeed this OS meta thing Facebook has been using is not optimal yet, it's as straight as a direct port would be.

Wasn't that long ago when I thought I was going to get an iPhone SE, but then the BOGO deal started and I bought a new 950 off someone for 320$. Which to me given the negative impressions and lack of polish of the 950, and also the annoyingly finicky/unreliable iris scanner was a price that felt good to me.
It's actually way better than I expected, no doubt due to all the software work done since launch when it was a disaster, put it straight on .242 out of box and life's been good.

Fantastic video/still quality, so happy they kept the HAAC mics they better never get rid of those I love taking video at concerts!
Surface phone not having HAAC mics is something I am really afraid of if they do a clean break from Nokia's lumias. :(
Battery life has stabilized and is decent on .318 so far. The thing charges so fast I'm not too fussed.

W10M is great, I trust it's going to get better with the redstone branch and the anniversary update.
I'm using this great Tudia two tone case, adds bulk but improves ergonomics and is quite protective/stylish. JD tempered glass screen protector.
Yeah, same boat. Bought both on the BOGO deal and love both phones. My XL has better fit and finish for the cover but I really like the 950's smaller size for one handed typing. You just can't Swype on the XL with one hand. I also thought I'd hate the power button between the volume keys but I don't at all. My XL also processes HDR slightly faster. Iris scanner also works better than expected, just look at the red light and not the screen. Cameras are so good I'll likely sell my Olympus Micro 4/3 camera that I bought a few weeks prior.

Really a shame this build didn't launch with the phone. Carriers and consumers would have likely given more interest.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Looks like they pulled it. One of my regrets with the 950 was never getting to use the continuum dock. I imagined myself going out to do presentations with just the phone and dock but $100 was way too much.

NeOak

Looks like they pulled it. One of my regrets with the 950 was never getting to use the continuum dock. I imagined myself going out to do presentations with just the phone and dock but $100 was way too much.

The Aukey dock from sale?

It is available for me.

Apparently, Windows 10 Mobile has currently no support for fingerprint readers and will support them with the Anniversary Update.

IgD46Kl.png

What the hell. It explains why they went with the iris scanner on the current Lumias, but how does the mobile build not support fingerprint scanners, when the desktop build works flawlessly? It even supports the swipe-reader on my 2009 Thinkpad X61t, not to mention the modern one on the special Type Cover for the Surface Pro line.

That's truly baffling.

Top Bottom