• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

spock

Anyone have a Lumia Icon and upgraded to win 10 via preview builds? Seems theres official win 10 support only through preview builds. Been debating if I should move to win 10 or not. I upgraded my surface pro 3 to win 10 and am thinking of doing the same for my desktop, which makes me want to unify it all with my phone.

Anything I should know or be wary off? Also general opinions are much appreciated as well.

On a side note I also have been having fast drain issues as well with my band 2 recently.

Anyone have a Lumia Icon and upgraded to win 10 via preview builds? Seems theres official win 10 support only through preview builds. Been debating if I should move to win 10 or not. I upgraded my surface pro 3 to win 10 and am thinking of doing the same for my desktop, which makes me want to unify it all with my phone.

Anything I should know or be wary off? Also general opinions are much appreciated as well.

On a side note I also have been having fast drain issues as well with my band 2 recently.

The Icon has been officially upgraded to 10 via Verizon as of a couple week ago iirc

I have the official Icon update to Win10. Was a rough few days starting out with battery life, but now it's lasting me all day as long as I don't sit on it constantly. Very happy with it, hasn't been buggy at all for me.

I also have an icon on windows 10. For the mist part it works great but I was late to work today because my alarm didn't produce any sound this morning. All the audio levels were turned up and the alarm was going off when I woke up but there was no sound.

JaggedSac

Anyone elses Band 2's battery draining like crazy for the last week and a half? With normal use it barely lasts 24 hours, I first thought the battery was dying.

Switched off the BT on my phone to see whether the issue was coming from there and yes, it is.

Wonder whether it's the last few insider builds that are causing the issue or the Health app itself. My gf says her Band battery life has been worse too, so maybe it's just the app.

No impact on the phone's battery, which is weird.

Mine has been crap. Insider builds here too.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Every time it seems the platform is getting even a small bit of traction, it has a momentum breaking week. Pokemon is absolutely huge, angry birds is leaving, and another big flash in the pan app (prisma) is turning heads.

Every time it seems the platform is getting even a small bit of traction, it has a momentum breaking week. Pokemon is absolutely huge, angry birds is leaving, and another big flash in the pan app (prisma) is turning heads.

Yeah that's where the real problem lies for the future of the platform on the mobile side. You could make an argument they could get the remaining majors apps on the platform (for me personally, Snapchat is the only thing I really want to be using but can't). However, getting to the point where apps are there for when the next piece of mobile software explodes out of nowhere is a totally different level.

JaggedSac

I have to say, just now looking at that prisma app, that is an app I would mess around with. At least until the world makes those filters passe. Although, I am sure there is a Photoshop plugin I could use that does the same thing.

toff74

I'm interested in getting into the external DAC thing with this:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cyrussoundkey/cyrus-soundkey-dac-bringing-your-music-on-the-move

I've used Cyrus gear for a fair few years and this piqued my interest. Hopefully giving me a better output from the phone than what I currently get.. only question is, will it work with the current lumia range? L950 & 950XL?

Ive tried a USB OTG dongle thing with a Jabra headset and it worked, however I don't know if that's a digial output converted into the headset.

Any help would be appreciated

I use FLAC and the Unofficial Tidal app.

Is that prisma app available on Android?
Nope ...not yet.

I did purchase a Blu HD R1 for $59 from amazon to stay on top of the Android scene and will use occasionally as a secondary phone behind my 950XL.

As to Pokemon Go, I've heard several grown men talk about it with excitement at the Airport, coffee shops, etc.

After Redstone update I'm leaving the insider preview on my phone.

It's not even my main phone (I have a very cheap android for that), and I understand a preview is meant to be unstable, but unstable is one thing, borderline usable is a whole different ball game.

How I'm even going to use my phone, and provide feedback when most of the time on the preview the apps either fail to start or crash within minutes? It's very often that a build messes things up, and this starts happening and despite daily feedbacks it takes them about or month or so to deploy a build that start to improve things, only to one week later make it all terrible again. I just realized that pretty much my entire time on insider on mobile is reporting the same bugs that never get corrected and I can't provide valid feedback for anything else because nothing works.

After Redstone update I'm leaving the insider preview on my phone.

It's not even my main phone (I have a very cheap android for that), and I understand a preview is meant to be unstable, but unstable is one thing, borderline usable is a whole different ball game.

How I'm even going to use my phone, and provide feedback when most of the time on the preview the apps either fail to start or crash within minutes? It's very often that a build messes things up, and this starts happening and despite daily feedbacks it takes them about or month or so to deploy a build that start to improve things, only to one week later make it all terrible again. I just realized that pretty much my entire time on insider on mobile is reporting the same bugs that never get corrected and I can't provide valid feedback for anything else because nothing works.
If your phone didn't ship with W10 and isn't a X50 series, I'm afraid you'll never get a good build. MS has shown is isn't giving up resources to provide solid builds on older phones.

I'm sure 550, 650, and 950 phones all work great with W10.

That's exactly why I can't go back. It's always been like this with Windows Phone. With every new app, 3 others leave.

If your phone didn't ship with W10 and isn't a X50 series, I'm afraid you'll never get a good build. MS has shown is isn't giving up resources to provide solid builds on older phones.

I'm sure 550, 650, and 950 phones all work great with W10.

You are probably right, but there were very good builds, they are just very well spaced out between builds were nothing seems to work XD

I did purchase a Blu HD R1 for $59 from amazon to stay on top of the Android scene and will use occasionally as a secondary phone behind my 950XL.

Is that the one that sends ads to your lock screen? I was thinking about picking that up too to replace this 640, GPS has been very spotty lately making it hard to drive sometimes. No idea how intrusive those ads are on the Amazon prime phone or if you can get rid of them, though.

Is that the one that sends ads to your lock screen? I was thinking about picking that up too to replace this 640, GPS has been very spotty lately making it hard to drive sometimes. No idea how intrusive those ads are on the Amazon prime phone or if you can get rid of them, though.
I shop at amazon frequently and enjoy amazon apps like prime music. Plus I gave away my Android tablets and sold my Blu Android phone so I thought I needed a new android device. Mediatek CPU charges slow as heck though.

Heretic

I haven't received any updates the past week...

Phone has been acting up too. Constantly disconnecting from cellular data. I have an unlocked Dual Sim 950XL

spock

Thanks for the heads up on the official Lumia Icon upgrade. I'm not running it on verizon and never got the update message.Used the windows phone update tool (forgot the official name) and it said the phone was ready to update and it triggered the official download, etc. Wonder if future updates will show up.

Really enjoying windows 10. Seems to be working great on my icon. Digging the improvements and overall feel and flow.

jstripes

Banned
My wife is getting antsy for Pokemon GO. I'm gonna be in trouble when it launches in Canada, because it'll be available for my iPhone but not for her Lumia.

clav

I thought W10 Mobile was pushed on the AT&T Lumia 640.

T-Mobile users are still waiting.

My wife is getting antsy for Pokemon GO. I'm gonna be in trouble when it launches in Canada, because it'll be available for my iPhone but not for her Lumia.

You can buy one of those new Amazon BLU or Moto 4G phones.

Paganmoon

Regarding Apps, isn't it "easy" to port iOS/Android apps to the W10 store now? I remember something from build.

I think straight up port can be easy, still need to do some tweaks to get it function. But then you get the first iteration of the official Instagram app, which was choppy as hell when scrolling amongst other things. Still need to tweak to get it a really smooth experience.
Same with the very first app that used this, Monument Valley that didn't display quite a few options in the options menu. so it's not straight ports. And the more complex an app the more hands on manpower needed.

I think straight up port can be easy, still need to do some tweaks to get it function. But then you get the first iteration of the official Instagram app, which was choppy as hell when scrolling amongst other things. Still need to tweak to get it a really smooth experience.
Same with the very first app that used this, Monument Valley that didn't display quite a few options in the options menu. so it's not straight ports. And the more complex an app the more hands on manpower needed.
Instagram used a proprietary tool for porting their apps.

Bit other than the candy crush games I have no idea what else was portable using the iOs port tool.

hadareud

The Translator
So just after the Android version, then?

Not quick enough for brot to have the option to not download or use it, I'm afraid.

Great. Updated my 640 XL to latest official win10 version.

Headphone jack stoped working. It just doesn't recognize my headphones when I plug em in.
Its second most important thing in my phone next to sms/call function.

I tested my headphones on other devices, works fine. Did soft and hard reset. Nada.

Anybody else have this problem or maybe even solution to it?

Sydle

Great. Updated my 640 XL to latest official win10 version.

Headphone jack stoped working. It just doesn't recognize my headphones when I plug em in.
Its second most important thing in my phone next to sms/call function.

I tested my headphones on other devices, works fine. Did soft and hard reset. Nada.

Anybody else have this problem or maybe even solution to it?

Weird. I have a 640 XL on the latest update and my headphone jack is working just fine.

Klocker

I am on latest redstone build with a 640 and have not been able to get the live tile working for Calendar for months now

That's with several full resets, no backups

Top Bottom