• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

M3d10n

A market research found that Windows Phones still have a higher market share than iPhones... in Brazil.

Android has 91% of the market, however.

msv

Microsoft is so, so, so, sooooo, annoying with their incessant quirks everywhere. Just got done working with Office, so obviously that was a frustrating time with some quirks of course. Now I come to the camera on Windows 10 Mobile, and another quirk - rotation lock doesn't work in camera mode. It just don't give a fuck and switches rotation if you like it or not. Great.

dat Mozo lyfe

iBRx6nx.jpg

NeOak

As part of its pitch to developers, Microsoft said that it was aiming to have 1 billion devices—PCs, tablets, phones, Xboxes, HoloLenses, and whatever else can run the operating system—within the first two to three years of its availability. That target is now off the table, report Ed Bott and Mary Jo Foley.

In a statement, the company said:
Windows 10 is off to the hottest start in history with over 350M monthly active devices, with record customer satisfaction and engagement. We're pleased with our progress to date, but due to the focusing of our phone hardware business, it will take longer than FY18 for us to reach our goal of 1 billion monthly active devices. In the year ahead, we are excited about usage growth coming from commercial deployments and new devices—and increasing customer delight with Windows.
The issue is mobile. At the time of the prediction, Microsoft was counting on selling 50 million Windows phones a year. These were an important part of the 1 billion devices, because one of the key selling points of Microsoft's Universal Windows Platform is the way it enables developers to easily adapt their software for the many different form factors that Windows supports. Phones were expected to be the largest of the non-PC form factors, but a series of missteps has seen Microsoft's phone sales collapse.

http://arstechnica.com/information-...-one-billion-windows-10-users-in-three-years/

Looks great. Sadly they do not offer much protection for the front edges, which I want.
That's why I like the incipio, even if it's a bit flappy around the top.
Yeah, in the looks department, it's a 10. However, the power button is too recessed making it hard to power on/off, there's more of a gap between the case and the glass, also I've read the soft touch finish wears off rather quickly. Not worth it unless you're like me and like to throw money at your Windows Phone flagships.

Yeah, in the looks department, it's a 10. However, the power button is too recessed making it hard to power on/off, there's more of a gap between the case and the glass, also I've read the soft touch finish wears off rather quickly. Not worth it unless you're like me and like to throw money at your Windows Phone flagships.

That looks great, ordered one

(probably should store my paypal behind an alcohol lock)
WTF

msv

Wow, an email account was freaking out a few minutes ago on my phone (win 10). Mails were disappearing suddenly, and very quickly, as if they were being deleted. Thought I was getting hacked / had a virus or something. Checked online on my account, and nothing, so it's confined to the phone. Turned it off as soon as I saw that the mails were disappearing.

I didn't press delete myself (so it's not the select all -> delete thing), so I don't know what's up here. Either the mail app is on the fritz and was just falsely showing mails disappearing (does this happen?), or it was deleting mails but just hasn't synced yet.

I booted up again afterwards, and it deleted all the way up to 2013. Nothing online still though. So I'm thinking it hasn't synced yet (if this is not just some fritz). How do I prevent it from syncing the deletions?

Edit: If I say that it 'wasn't me' in the microsoft account settings (and then delete > re-add the mail account on the phone), can I revert that afterwards?
Edit2: gonna do flight mode instead.
Edit3: So shit, the mails are gone on the phone but not online - will it try to sync the deletions if I go back online? What the hell was this... Is there a virus scanner for windows phone 10?

hwalker84

Wow, an email account was freaking out a few minutes ago on my phone (win 10). Mails were disappearing suddenly, and very quickly, as if they were being deleted. Thought I was getting hacked / had a virus or something. Checked online on my account, and nothing, so it's confined to the phone. Turned it off as soon as I saw that the mails were disappearing.

I didn't press delete myself (so it's not the select all -> delete thing), so I don't know what's up here. Either the mail app is on the fritz and was just falsely showing mails disappearing (does this happen?), or it was deleting mails but just hasn't synced yet.

I booted up again afterwards, and it deleted all the way up to 2013. Nothing online still though. So I'm thinking it hasn't synced yet (if this is not just some fritz). How do I prevent it from syncing the deletions?

Edit: If I say that it 'wasn't me' in the microsoft account settings (and then delete > re-add the mail account on the phone), can I revert that afterwards?
Edit2: gonna do flight mode instead.
Edit3: So shit, the mails are gone on the phone but not online - will it try to sync the deletions if I go back online? What the hell was this... Is there a virus scanner for windows phone 10?
I've had this happen on IOS as well with all types of accounts. Hell just last weekend all my exchange contacts were gone and my email disappeared until I rebooted.

msv

Hmmm... false alarm! The mails appeared again after a while of running the phone, even though it was in Flight Mode. So I'm guessing the storage was on the fritz and it lost the index or something. Are part of the mails stored on the SD Card?

It's really weird though. Before I first shut down, and both times I booted it again, it only loaded up until the same mail in 2013.

I've had this happen on IOS as well with all types of accounts. Hell just last weekend all my exchange contacts were gone and my email disappeared until I rebooted.
Good to know.

What's also weird now... I checked storage, it loaded the numbers for Mail & messaging and it was at 149mb from the previous check, stats were reloading... and then... 79mb. Whaat.

Really enjoying Android apps and the Play Store more and more. Android keyboard in 6.0 has much improved, so much so that I'd only replace it with Word Flow if and when it's available. When Groove Music gets updated and I find a YouTube app like tubecast it's gonna be hard to stay away from Android.

Chrome mobile seems to suck more so than I remember; I believe Edge mobile beats it out.

JaggedSac

Driving through downtown Atl today heading home from the Americas Mart and Google Maps on my wife's S6 kept shitting the bed. Hanging, not detecting where we were, pointing us in wrong direction. Pulled out the ole 950 and she worked like a charm, lol.

Driving through downtown Atl today heading home from the Americas Mart and Google Maps on my wife's S6 kept shitting the bed. Hanging, not detecting where we were, pointing us in wrong direction. Pulled out the ole 950 and she worked like a charm, lol.
Samsungs and LG's are known to go to shit once there's a new revision of their flagship.

MCD

Really enjoying Android apps and the Play Store more and more. Android keyboard in 6.0 has much improved, so much so that I'd only replace it with Word Flow if and when it's available. When Groove Music gets updated and I find a YouTube app like tubecast it's gonna be hard to stay away from Android.

Chrome mobile seems to suck more so than I remember; I believe Edge mobile beats it out.

I'm using Firefox with adblock. Cool shit.

In the last 2 years I have killed 3 phones by getting them wet. I dropped my icon in the toilet Saturday night. Man it sucks so much being phoneless. My wife has a few year old phone that she dropped and the screen broke on, I guess I am going to see if I can get that fixed really cheap.

So, the GPS on my 635 appears to be going. It can't pick up my location when in motion, which cuts down on the effectiveness of turn-by-turn directions, as you might imagine.

Would a reset fix it, do you guys think?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
In the last 2 years I have killed 3 phones by getting them wet. I dropped my icon in the toilet Saturday night. Man it sucks so much being phoneless. My wife has a few year old phone that she dropped and the screen broke on, I guess I am going to see if I can get that fixed really cheap.

Samsung has a phone to sell you.

It seems you're in luck. Microsoft finally remembered they had Groove apps for both iOS and Android, but I wouldn't count on an app that steps on YouTube Red business model in a Google-made OS.

I can't speak for Android, but in iOS we can finally scroll through a song. Altough the UI is still ugly as sin, only with a higher resolution - I hope we get a new navigation system soon.

That's why I keep a cheap phone for a back up. Had Lumia 635s, now Blu Android phones.

MCD

Groove in Android is still only subscription or one drive based. Doesn't see my local files so it's useless.

Plus it's Amerika only just like garbage Bing.

Groove in Android is still only subscription or one drive based. Doesn't see my local files so it's useless.

Plus it's Amerika only just like garbage Bing.

What's even the reason to get Groove over Spotify? The only thing I can think of is OneDrive access, which is neat. But other than that? Spotify is cross platform, offers exclusive content in some countries, ties in beautifully with the PS4 (which might come to Xbox down the line, but Groove most likely won't come to the PS4).

The Groove app being better than Spotify on Windows Phone is a good reason (no Spotify Connect support is buklshit), but I wouldn't want to be locked down to a service of a platform holder.

ElNino

What's even the reason to get Groove over Spotify? The only thing I can think of is OneDrive access, which is neat. But other than that? Spotify is cross platform, offers exclusive content in some countries, ties in beautifully with the PS4 (which might come to Xbox down the line, but Groove most likely won't come to the PS4).

The Groove app being better than Spotify on Windows Phone is a good reason (no Spotify Connect support is buklshit), but I wouldn't want to be locked down to a service of a platform holder.
Well, there's no reason to not use both (possibly not subbed to both though).

I'm on my free promo (thanks Virgin Mobile) until the end of 2017 so I'm still using Groove as my main music app with Spotify (free) as an alternative when I just want to use their curated playlists.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Fuck Amazon gone.

The craziest thing about this is that Amazon pays at&t to preload their app on the 950. Then they pull the app. What a mess.

What's even the reason to get Groove over Spotify?

You said it yourself: If you have your music on onedrive, if you have an xbox instead of PlayStation, and/or if you have windows phone. Plus you get better discounts on long term Groove music subscriptions when they have their sales. Also Groove works on laptops and desktops running Windows 10. I mean, Spotify is the market leader, but there are definitely reasons to pick Groove.

JaggedSac

Forza Horizon 3 man, Forza Horizon 3. But in all seriousness, will likely go for Spotify once my years of free sub end, lol, mainly due to Spotify's family plan. Groove is much too expensive if my wife wants her own profile.

That's why I keep a cheap phone for a back up. Had Lumia 635s, now Blu Android phones.

I spent hours yesterday looking for either my old phone or my wifes old phone but no luck. It is the worst knowing that there are 2 phones somewhere in my house but I cant find either one.

MCD

I just love using it for local files on Win.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Since my wife has an iPhone she can sign in with my Groove account. As long as all the devices aren't Windows phone you can basically have a family plan.

Groove is really solid now and i don't forsee switching. Xbox getting background music soon too is great.

ElNino

Since my wife has an iPhone she can sign in with my Groove account. As long as all the devices aren't Windows phone you can basically have a family plan.

Groove is really solid now and i don't forsee switching. Xbox getting background music soon too is great.
When your wife signs in with your account on her phone, I assume it automatically syncs your collection/playlists?

I would be interested in trying it with my son to share my Groove subscription with him, but we don't exactly have the same taste in music yet (being that he is 10).

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
When your wife signs in with your account on her phone, I assume it automatically syncs your collection/playlists?

I would be interested in trying it with my son to share my Groove subscription with him, but we don't exactly have the same taste in music yet (being that he is 10).

Yeah, it shares my collection. Not a big deal though. Guess it could muddle the Your Groove playlists.

JaggedSac

Yeah, that is what we are doing right now. She keeps hassling me about having all my collection mixed with hers though.

Also, panorama mode has been added to camera app. Vertical only at this point though.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Moved to the fast ring and it seems faster. MS needs to work with developers so that when they cancel their WP apps they announce that they are working on win 10 apps, if they are, and clearly a few of them are. I love the camera improvements and once the firmware update rolls out to my phone I might give the platform a chance again for a bit.

JaggedSac

Moved to the fast ring and it seems faster. MS needs to work with developers so that when they cancel their WP apps they announce that they are working on win 10 apps, if they are, and clearly a few of them are. I love the camera improvements and once the firmware update rolls out to my phone I might give the platform a chance again for a bit.

Firmware is available on the Device Recovery Tool. Unfortunately it would clear all your crap out to do it that way.

Top Bottom