• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Will we get windows 10 apps on our phones at some point? There is an mln at bat app in the windows store on pc but not on phone. I need that app so bad.

joshschw

The post processing on the photos has also improved since launch, although it's still slower than other flagships. I don't know if the flaky battery issues are related to the chips tho.

Insane by how much it's improved. I don't mind the time because at least the pics can be taken super fast.

I just had to swap out my 950XL (again!) because the AMOLED developed the most odd mini crack in it- I think it was.a crack anyway - they swapped it out no issue, but I had an unupdatred 950XL and I took a couple pics, and it's soooo much faster now.

edit: I need my hands on that new FW!

Paganmoon

The one guy who gets the awesome double tap to wake feature in this thread doesn't even use it. *sigh*

I've got double tap, but it's a bit finicky. Very selective on when it wants to work it seems, have to be very precise with the speed of which you double tap.

Actually, I've noticed this "precision problem" with other things on Windows 10 Mobile as well, but never really brought it forward (there were other things to complain about), but when I'm using a wired headset, and listening to music, I have to be extremely precise in how fast I double or triple click the headset button for skip forward/previous track. More often than not, it only registers as a single click and the music pauses.

msv

Just upgraded to Windows 10 Mobile, looks nice, some things are too many taps now though, but okay.

...and then I go to the calendar... .... why is this in day view? let me set it back to week view. why doesn't it switch to week view? where's week view?

What the fuck. How is there no week view? Who even uses the day view? Well, the app has yet to update, so I'm going to assume that the Week view will be in that update, if not I will be pissed.

The lockscreen now only scrolling up the text instead of the entire image doesn't look as nice.

A big annoyance is that a lot of the main functionality in apps has shifted behind a button on the top left, furthest possible distance from your thumb. Isn't that going against their own UX guidelines? I thought that the main functionality and settings should always be behind the ... on the bottom right.

Switching folders in the mail app is also slower and contains a lot of useless information (all other accounts).

JaggedSac

...and then I go to the calendar... .... why is this in day view? let me set it back to week view. why doesn't it switch to week view? where's week view?

What the fuck. How is there no week view? Who even uses the day view? Well, the app has yet to update, so I'm going to assume that the Week view will be in that update, if not I will be pissed.

Button to left of ellipses in bottom right is the view button. Has day, week, month, year views.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Just upgraded to Windows 10 Mobile, looks nice, some things are too many taps now though, but okay.

The lockscreen now only scrolling up the text instead of the entire image doesn't look as nice.

A big annoyance is that a lot of the main functionality in apps has shifted behind a button on the top left, furthest possible distance from your thumb. Isn't that going against their own UX guidelines? I thought that the main functionality and settings should always be behind the ... on the bottom right.

Switching folders in the mail app is also slower and contains a lot of useless information (all other accounts).

There is 100% a week view. I use it. Is your app up to date?

msv

There is 100% a week view. I use it. Is your app up to date?
It updated, crisis averted. Assumed it had updated already, because I thought Phone, Mail & Calendar would be updated first or along with the OS update itself.

How to set the Dual SIM's complementary color? It picked some unrelated drab gray color.

MCD

New apps, updated apps, new firmware. All cool.

I might come back if the anniversary update is solid.

msv

What's up with the accounts, it's a bit of a mess now. It said I had to fix one of my outlook email accounts, but then asked me to log in with a microsoft account. I just used the outlook account, and now it's added as a microsoft account all of a sudden?? I don't want to have that outlook email as a microsoft account, nor do I want it linked like that to the store and everything. How do I prevent it from using an outlook account as a microsoft account?

Edit- resolved it by removing the microsoft account and adding the live.com mail as an imap mail, and not as outlook mail. Don't understand why it's forcing a microsoft account on you when you use the outlook account though, wasn't the case with windows phone 8.1. There isn't even a real microsoft account created for that address... weird.

Edit2: The mail app is quite annoying though. It unifies the mail accounts a bit more, with the downside that if you're in a folder of a specific mail account, and you want to change settings of that accounts, youll have to select that account from a list again, quite redundant. That's a downgrade. Also annoying that it remembers that you opened the settings - when you go to the mail account from the start tile, youll be greeted with a settings screen, yeah thx.

First overall impression of W10M - its very messy. Feels much less suited for phone usage than 8.1.

Jeels

So, what are the next batch of Windows phones? I see hp is working on one for business users and there's the rumored surface, but all that's q1 2017.

joshschw

Wll my THIRD 950XL seems busted too. It gets super hot and runs super slow.

I will try a hard reset, but I already did one (to restore my backup).

It benchmarks via Antutu at 52000 something, my HTC ONE m8 benches at 62000....

msv

There was another issue with the mail - if you add an outlook.com email account with imap settings, when the syncing was set to 'based on my usage', it would stick to 2 hour sync intervals no matter what. This wasn't an issue with the other non-outlook emails.

I fixed it by adding the account as an Exchange account (and not as an outlook or pop3/imap one). Now it syncs as items arrive, and it doesn't add a superfluous microsoft account to the phone.

joshschw

At&t has released firmware updates for the 950. It's a new world.

Absolute insanity going on here nowadays....

I had no idea, haha!

I remember waiting weeks/months for the old Amber, Black, Cyan, etc...

Great to hear though, and I need the new firmware ASAP on my 950xl. I've had it (them, I suppose) for a a month and half now, and I STILL am constantly double tapping to wake.

Paganmoon

Alrighty, let's see if this update breaks Fitbit or not.

Edit: Fuuuck, accidentally marked all e-mails in my 3 linked inboxes and deleted them. Didn't get undo option! fucking damnit, that "mark all" button is too fucking easy to hit...

Edit2: restored my MS E-mails, but apparently, mails deleted from Gmail on my phone don't show up on gmail.com, what the hell?

Edit3: ok think I found them all. god damn...

hadareud

The Translator
Anyone elses Band 2's battery draining like crazy for the last week and a half? With normal use it barely lasts 24 hours, I first thought the battery was dying.

Switched off the BT on my phone to see whether the issue was coming from there and yes, it is.

Wonder whether it's the last few insider builds that are causing the issue or the Health app itself. My gf says her Band battery life has been worse too, so maybe it's just the app.

No impact on the phone's battery, which is weird.

Anyone elses Band 2's battery draining like crazy for the last week and a half? With normal use it barely lasts 24 hours, I first thought the battery was dying.

Switched off the BT on my phone to see whether the issue was coming from there and yes, it is.

Wonder whether it's the last few insider builds that are causing the issue or the Health app itself. My gf says her Band battery life has been worse too, so maybe it's just the app.

No impact on the phone's battery, which is weird.

My band lasted all of drill this weekend, which means it survived from ~6am on Saturday through to ~3pm on Sunday, so about what I've come to expect of it, maybe a bit less.

Top Bottom