• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

What is weird/worrying is how different the bugs are from phone to phone.

I haven't seen any of these problems at all, for instance. For me Redstone has become more stable and snappy with each build and battery life is as good as it's ever been.

That doesn't seem to be the case with others.

That's the most puzzling aspect of win10.

I also have a 930 phone on fast preview, and on it it's has been mostly perfect on it save for battery life that's not very great. While on the 640 even when everything was crashed battery life was great and still is XD

And it's not just on phones too. I have entered the fast ring on two different SP3s either, they were both very stable for a while now, but one had terrible battery life, like more than 2% per minute, and going from 10% of battery life from the surface shutting down (not hibernating) because of no battery life in less than 30 seconds, and specially battery draining even faster than that in standby, while the other never had those issues. Both with the same version, same firmware, and I even try resetting both to factory, and the one with bad battery life was always the same.

Until some update came a few weeks ago and fixed all the battery issues the other one was having and now they are basically both great.

Paganmoon

Still no working Fitbit sync. bleh.

@lastflowers would you happen to have any info at all about GATT Server support? back in April (during Build 2016?) it was announced incoming. Not heard anything since. I'm guessing not part of Anniversary update?

Klocker

I have 3 640's that I run with differ t w10 builds and not even production is stable,...

brand new phone fresh reset, no back up, and the thing is still buggy as hell with regards to messaging, notifications, keyboard lock upset... it's a friggin mess

So sick of this starting to think its the 640's themselves

joshschw

;-;

It feels like I'm unlocking my phone twice tho! I've looked around all the settings and there doesn't seem to be a way to disable it...

Just go to Glance Settings, and it's in the first drop down menu. I also disable. It's not all the useful, and it's outdated in appearance now. Doesn't match the OS - neither does the lockscreen

BlackJace

Actually thinking about returning this 650 and going with a 950 tomorrow, 650 specs are a bit too low for my tastes, especially considering my last phone had a 1080p screen and a 2GB ram.

nillapuddin

If yall remember the whole

'my gf broke her brand new 950 the first week wtf do I do' scenario from awhile back, figured id drop an update

I ended up buying her (with her money) a new* one off of swappa for 300 all total.

Many months later I still love mine, and she is still completely enamored with hers.

FWIW, that Mr Shield screen protector was legit.

The glass on her phone the first time never broke (she dropped it on its face and the lcd cracked)

I also had an accidental drop from hand height last month and the phone landed on its near face but the screen protector did its job, suffered a slight crack but the phone is in perfect condition. (Ive since bought a replacement one)

These things are well well well worth the 7 bucks
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016XKLY6E/?tag=neogaf0e-20

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Supposed to be a new firmware for the 950 and 950xl rolling out with double tap to wake, camera improvements, etc. Haven't seen anything yet on my end.

Paganmoon

Supposed to be a new firmware for the 950 and 950xl rolling out with double tap to wake, camera improvements, etc. Haven't seen anything yet on my end.

Getting firmware update right now. Not sure if it's from my provider or from Insider preview (Tele2 Sweden).

Looking forward to seeing if the new build later will fix my Fitbit sync issues. Seems the issue has spread to Misfit and some Garmin devices as well, so hopefully more people are reporting it, and Microsoft starts to prioritize it. Not worked since 14372.

derFeef

Anyone notice a bug with Messaging? I get duplicates...Facebook Messenger and Massaging. Nowhere to set an option for that also.
And still annoyed there is no Lock Screen icon for the FB Messenger.

That's now 2 of the 2 apps that Brot uses available. And double tap to wake.

Time to come home Brot, you know you wanna.

Steam is huge. No idea why it's a Windows Phone 8 app, but it's still huge.

And double-tap to wake. Absolutely fantastic. When I read the news I thought about getting one for a second. Seriously. The 950 and 950XL are on fire sales all the time. The 950 starts at 299 here.

But I still can't go back. Android is the future, even Microsoft sees this, and sometimes it's nice to be on the winning team.

Not to mention the garbage SoCs in both phones. One of the reasons I'm not buying a 5X either. I almost bought a S7 yesterday instead (was a deal for 499€), but I'm kinda glad I didn't.

Not sure what's supposed to be wrong with the chips.

The 808 and 810? They have average performance, are prone to overheat and throttle due to the thermal issues. The 808 less so, because it has only 2 performance cores. OnePlus "solved" the overheating by disabling the 4 big cores once you bring up Chrome, for example. Same reason Samsung opted for their own SoC in the US version of the Galaxy S6, even though they don't have their own modem for US bands, which is why they usually use the Snapdragons for that market.

It's been all over tech news last year, so I'm not sure why one wouldn't know about it.

From Ars:

What it means

In short, chips throttle, but the 810 throttles more than most, and it's severe enough that the 810 is actually slower than the 801 or 805 in some CPU-bound tasks over the long haul. The Exynos 7 Octa, which has similar specs on paper, is much better in practice.

At this point, Qualcomm has implied to us several times that its use of ARM Cortex CPU cores was a stopgap measure—Apple got the 64-bit A7 chip to market around a year before anyone expected it to. Chips are designed over a period of two or three years, so using the ready-made Cortex cores were the quickest way to get a 64-bit response to market.

The results, unfortunately, don’t look great. It might be because the 810 is using a 20nm TSMC manufacturing process instead of the 14nm Samsung process used for the Exynos, or it might be that Samsung has more experience working Cortex CPU cores into its designs. Whatever the reason, our testing of real phones with these SoCs in them shows that 810-based phones are slower and have worse battery life.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/04/in-depth-with-the-snapdragon-810s-heat-problems/

wasn't throttling issues on those chips fixed in a revision before 950/XL were released?

There's no such revision. OnePlus claimed the same, but it turned out that even the HTC M9 had the "fixed" 2.1 revision. The Nexus 6P has the same issues and came out around the same time as the Lumia phones.

Paganmoon

There's no such revision. OnePlus claimed the same, but it turned out that even the HTC M9 had the "fixed" 2.1 revision. The Nexus 6P has the same issues and came out around the same time as the Lumia phones.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9388/comparing-snapdragon-810-v2-and-v21

The other differences are far more subtle. The first is that there’s noticeably less throttling on the A57 cluster compared to Snapdragon 810 v2. However even with that change - and unlike the Snapdragon 808 and competing SoCs - both variants of the Snapdragon 810 still see the unfortunate characteristic of ultimately forcing all threads off of the A57 cluster to stay within TDP limits in high load conditions, such as when running Basemark OS II’s battery test.

So seems, the revision improved throttling for 810, but, yeah it did not completely fix it.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9388/comparing-snapdragon-810-v2-and-v21

So seems, the revision improved throttling for 810, but, yeah it did not completely fix it.

Like I said, even the HTC One M9 (came out around March or April 2015) has the 2.1 revision and needed a software update before launch to fix the overheating.

Friday’s software update introduced significant changes to the phone’s power and temperature management capabilities, which in turn has introduced a significant changes in the phone’s performance. HTC’s notes on the matter are very brief – updates to the camera, the UI, and thermal throttling – in practice it appears that HTC has greatly altered how the phone behaves under sustained loads. Our best guess at this point is that HTC appears to have reduced the maximum skin temperature allowed on the phone, which means that for short, bursty workloads that don’t approach the maximum skin temperature the changes are minimal, but for sustained loads performance has gone down due to the reduction in the amount of heat allowed to be generated.

Even if it wouldn't have to throttle, the performance would still be average compared to the current 820. The 808 is barely faster than the 801 or 805, if memory serves me right. It sucks that they didn't have any other options last year, but I don't like to do performance sidegrades.

JaggedSac

It's a Windows Phone, there are no apps that you need a beefy apu for, lol. Well, I guess the camera, but it flies pretty good on the 950, takes a couple seconds to do hdr, but even that is only if you want to immediately look at it and mess with the lighting levels.

Specs on phones have largely reached a point where pretty much everything not low-end runs everything but games perfectly fine. Until everyone starts using their phones as laptop/pc replacements I think apu specs/benchmarks have gotten into "who cares" territory.

It's a Windows Phone, there are no apps that you need a beefy apu for, lol. Well, I guess the camera, but it flies pretty good on the 950, takes a couple seconds to do hdr, but even that is only if you want to immediately look at it and mess with the lighting levels.

Specs on phones have largely reached a point where pretty much everything not low-end runs everything but games perfectly fine. Until everyone starts using their phones as laptop/pc replacements I think apu specs/benchmarks have gotten into "who cares" territory.

You can't really play games on 810 Android phones.

hadareud

The Translator
I can't talk about game performance, because even if the sort of games that require a powerful cpu were available, I wouldn't play them, but for apps and real world performance, heat and battery life both the 950 and the XL are absolutely fantastic.

The only thing that isn't extremely fast is the post processing of the camera. And only fuck knows whether that is down to the CPU or not. It also doesn't matter because taking photos is really quick anyway, it's just that looking at the finished article that isn't.

So they may not be great on android, but on WP, who gives a fuck about paper performance.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The 950 and software have a lot of issues, but performance issues because of CPU isn't really one of them. The post processing on the photos has also improved since launch, although it's still slower than other flagships. I don't know if the flaky battery issues are related to the chips tho.

Top Bottom