• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Raide

Unless you have a need for the microSD or for a new battery, no.

I still rock my 1520.

Well, more storage would be great and having more battery is always welcome. I waited a while for the 930, so no harm in waiting for the 950 I suppose

Now that 14393 is surely the RS1 build, and will just get a few more cumulative updates, there really any reason to not update now and then move back to Release Preview ring once it's released to the public?

clav

Now that 14393 is surely the RS1 build, and will just get a few more cumulative updates, there really any reason to not update now and then move back to Release Preview ring once it's released to the public?

You can go ahead although on PC since I don't have a WM10 device, store initially has a few issues still.

Wait if you can.

Raide

The camera is much better, too. It's thinner, lighter, has a better screen, it's faster and has superior battery life etc.

I do love the 930 camera. The battery life is the only thing that does get me annoyed. I am just not sure if I should wait but we are not getting another Lumia any time soon, so maybe the 950 is the last logical upgrade now.

NeOak

Can I update to Win 10, move to Insider to get the SP1/Anniversary Update, then leave insider and go back to the current branch?

Can I update to Win 10, move to Insider to get the SP1/Anniversary Update, then leave insider and go back to the current branch?
You mean revert to 10586 or just want rs1 and then leave the fast ring in the future? If it's the latter, then yes, but I think you'd want to stay on the fast ring until the final release is pushed to the release preview ring.

NeOak

You mean revert to 10586 or just want rs1 and then leave the fast ring in the future? If it's the latter, then yes, but I think you'd want to stay on the fast ring until the final release is pushed to the release preview ring.
I meant on Desktop :p

clav

I think it would be the same situation...maybe someone else can confirm or not?

You can do the method that you described earlier.

If you're thinking of straight up installing the 14393 build without enrolling, note you can't receive any of the incremental updates unless you install the patches through powershell/cmd since those patches are currently locked behind the fast ring.

I would hold off if you can. Still some blemishes regarding the store.

Finally, hopefully that means it drops later today.

If you're thinking of straight up installing the 14393 build without enrolling, note you can't receive any of the incremental updates unless you install the patches through powershell/cmd since those patches are currently locked behind the fast ring.

Yeah I've decided to just wait, any potential headaches are not worth it when official release is a week away.

NeOak

What I need is the placeholder system that comes with the Anniversary update, since I use it a lot for school.

I'll hold on until Thursday to do the update then.

Saw Superman vs Batman. Bruce Wayne used a black 950 and Lois Lane used a white Lumia 1020 I believe cuz it looked like a polycarbonate body with a lanyard on the corner.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Can't create a new email in outlook on the newest fast ring build. This is why I should have stayed on the production build :|

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
I do love the 930 camera. The battery life is the only thing that does get me annoyed. I am just not sure if I should wait but we are not getting another Lumia any time soon, so maybe the 950 is the last logical upgrade now.
I've had a few Lumia's (800, 820, 920, 1020, 925, 930 and 950) as well as a few HTC and Sammy Win Phones and I would highly recommend getting a 950, even if your currently using a 930 just the screen alone. My wife's 930 broke so I gave her my 950 and I do miss it a bit. I jumped back to android for a bit of a change (Moto X Pure Edition), I miss being able to mess around, something I did frequently during my HTC HD2 days. TBH though I would actually like to sell this android for a 950xl...

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Oh double tap feature, I missed you so much.

man my 950XL battery is fucking bad. Phone gets hot too.

msv

Woo this is getting really annoying. Trying to copy text from a mail, then pasting it in a draft. Doesn't work. I'm not kidding.

I copy it, go in the draft... no paste available. Not in the menu, nor in the word suggesting area (also fucking annoying that they have two separate places where something can be on the clipboard).

Then I try again, I enter the draft again, woop, e-mail app crashes. Now it just keeps crashing whenever I enter the drafted email after I tried to copy from the other email.

Had the same issue just yesterday but then with copying from email and then trying to paste in calendar. The paste icon was available there though, but it just crashed every time.

I got the latest firmware and also upgraded to fast rig. Now how do I get Panorama to work? I tried to update Windows Camera but it wouldn't update.

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
So uhh sorry for the OT posts but anyone know a good place to sell / swaps phones (apart from ebay), I've tried all the normal places in the UK (cex etc) and I can't find the Moto x (2015) listed anywhere, just the old versions.

Kind of want to go back to W10 (pick up a 950 XL).

http://m.windowscentral.com/here-ar...=slider&utm_campaign=navigation&utm_source=wp Windows Ink looks great. I'm guessing Surface Phone will include it.

What I don't like about windows ink is that the new nice toolbar full of tools is basically only available to the apps within the ink space themselves... I think I would prefer if it was only tools that were available to all apps that use ink, and they had a collection of apps for the use cases.

For example, it sucks using onenote and not having the same tools that are available on windows ink, and at the same time having these tools only available to 2 apps that are basically the same except that one starts blank and the other with a screen capture is not as useful as it could be.

What I don't like about windows ink is that the new nice toolbar full of tools is basically only available to the apps within the ink space themselves... I think I would prefer if it was only tools that were available to all apps that use ink, and they had a collection of apps for the use cases.

For example, it sucks using onenote and not having the same tools that are available on windows ink, and at the same time having these tools only available to 2 apps that are basically the same except that one starts blank and the other with a screen capture is not as useful as it could be.
It's a start though.

NeOak

After having basically the same thing for Inking that has been there since Windows XP Tablet PC Edition, it's a step in the right direction.

Raide

The idea of a surface phone does sound super interesting. I think I will hold off the 950 purchase until I see/hear what MS is planning. I do love the Lumia range but that will certainly be sidelined if Surface Phone is a thing.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
My 920 finally died.

I doesn't even work as an alarm clock anymore. Display crapped out, probably after years of treating it like shit.

My soul has been invaded by an indescriptible sadness.

I wish there was an always-on display+qi charging Lumia I could afford as a substitute. Alas, all of them are stupidly expensive.

0yaQLwd.gif

NeOak

My 920 finally died.

I doesn't even work as an alarm clock anymore. Display crapped out, probably after years of treating it like shit.

My soul has been invaded by an indescriptible sadness.

I wish there was an always-on display+qi charging Lumia I could afford as a substitute. Alas, all of them are stupidly expensive.

0yaQLwd.gif
latest

n64coder

I don't mind second hand phones, but I want it alarm clock cheap.

Anything over €30 is a no go for me since I've switched to Android for the time being. I actually want a Lumia phone so I can use it as an alarm clock with my Qi base like I used to do with my 920.

I see 920 on the US Ebay for $30.

link1201

My 920 died as well, dropped it one too many times. I got a 950 to replace it, I was hoping it'd last until the fabled Surface Phone arrived :'(

Knowing my luck they'll announce it next week. lol

Top Bottom