• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Juha is back at Nokia. Looks like MS' camera software tech ambition is well and truly kaput. Don't expect much from the Surface Phone camera now...if you ever did.

https://twitter.com/jalakarhu/status/760127062812295168
Got Prisma on my Android. It truly is a game changer. Loading up filters is more of a time waster than Pokemon Go, IMO.

Feel like selling off my 950XL now.

Prisma, making my hot garbage look like art.

v8qLX99.jpg

JaggedSac

Got Prisma on my Android. It truly is a game changer. Loading up filters is more of a time waster than Pokemon Go, IMO.

Feel like selling off my 950XL now.

Prisma, making my hot garbage look like art.

v8qLX99.jpg

I guess, if you want all your photos to look like that. It is certainly neat, but I can assure you I would not bother using that app or any other filtering app on 99% of my photos. If I care enough, I save in RAW so I would just mess with them in Lightroom. To be honest, I haven't found a mobile photo editing app I like on mine or my wife's(S6) phone. But I agree, if you are keeping a phone around just for the camera, you should probably sell it.

dLMN8R

Prisma was fun for a couple days on my iPhone.

My wife's Lumia 950 XL, meanwhile, continues to take far better pictures without a thought than my 6S Plus could ever take on its best days.

JaggedSac

Prisma was fun for a couple days on my iPhone.

I think that is a common time frame, the friends I follow on Instagram flooded my feed with those Prisma filtered photos, it has gone down to a trickle now. Don't want to belittle that app though, what they are doing is neat as hell.

Tomcat

I think that is a common time frame, the friends I follow on Instagram flooded my feed with those Prisma filtered photos, it has gone down to a trickle now. Don't want to belittle that app though, what they are doing is neat as hell.

its a nice effect but when you see so many with the same one its getting boring after a while.

dLMN8R

For sure yeah, Prisma has some cool tech. But it's also all done service-side, and when I read through the privacy policy and terms of use I realized that they now basically own all of the photos I ever filtered using their app.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So my brother got a 950 from at&t. The platform is saved!!!

He doesn't use apps, and for whatever reason he is comfortable and likes the platform. I really hope that MS doesn't kill it, I still think it's worth being in the market.

So my brother got a 950 from at&t. The platform is saved!!!

He doesn't use apps, and for whatever reason he is comfortable and likes the platform. I really hope that MS doesn't kill it, I still think it's worth being in the market.

I highly doubt they'll outright kill it, but RS1 has basically...no new features in it on the mobile side. It'll continue to get development, but with almost no customer base I don't think you're going to see them throwing the kitchen sink at new mobile-side features.

---------

Didn't the devs of Prisma say they were working on the Windows version?

I highly doubt they'll outright kill it, but RS1 has basically...no new features in it on the mobile side. It'll continue to get development, but with almost no customer base I don't think you're going to see them throwing the kitchen sink at new mobile-side features.

---------

Didn't the devs of Prisma say they were working on the Windows version?
Yeah they said a W10 version is coming.

I'll hold on to my 950XL until I find an Android flagship with no bigger than a 5" screen and class leading camera.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
I am looking to get a 650 to hold me over until the surface phone is announced. There is one on newegg for $189. Microsoft LUMIA 650 16GB storage 4G LTE Unlocked Cell Phone 5" Display with 1GB RAM Black. I should just be able to pull my SIM out of my 1020 and place it in the 650 with no issue right? AT&T.

NeOak

I am looking to get a 650 to hold me over until the surface phone is announced. There is one on newegg for $189. Microsoft LUMIA 650 16GB storage 4G LTE Unlocked Cell Phone 5" Display with 1GB RAM Black. I should just be able to pull my SIM out of my 1020 and place it in the 650 with no issue right? AT&T.
Yup

Anyone having issues getting their Band to sync to their phone since upgrading to Redstone?

Health app doesn't connect to a device and fails to delete the device it can't connect so I can try to set up the connection again. Tried the recommended steps of restarting both devices, and reinstalling the app, but no luck.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Anyone having issues getting their Band to sync to their phone since upgrading to Redstone?

Health app doesn't connect to a device and fails to delete the device it can't connect so I can try to set up the connection again. Tried the recommended steps of restarting both devices, and reinstalling the app, but no luck.

This happened to me as well, but with my iPhone. Can't get my band to sync to my phone. I've been syncing through my PC. Did you sync through PC at any time? I wonder if doing that causes it to disassociate from the phone.

No problem here. Pain in the ass though to have to reset my Band when I wanna switch between my Lumia and Android.

This happened to me as well, but with my iPhone. Can't get my band to sync to my phone. I've been syncing through my PC. Did you sync through PC at any time? I wonder if doing that causes it to disassociate from the phone.
Yeah I think I did back when the app first came out for the PC, haven't used it since.

derFeef

Battery drain is really bad for me on the latest insider. Battery usage says "Start" is the main draw, but I don't know what it could be...

Samsung flagships cost just as much as iPhones. I'm so spoiled buying Lumia flagships for so cheap either used, on sale, or fire sales.

LG flagships have good cameras and are affordable but damn their build quality is questionable. Demo units of G5 that I've seen show an ugly gap between the glass and chin.

Damn, I'll likely keep my 950XL for another year.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Just got my continuum dock. Typing this on my work monitor with my full size mouse and keyboard. This has to be the future for office drones like me. Outlook, Office, Edge, etc. means I can do a ton of my day to day. Plus I can present at schools with just my phone and dock.

Also, the synergy is pretty awesome. I'm in front of a windows 10 computer all day, and my notifications and texts are coming through my desktop, able to reply to my texts and see my notifications. Why, oh why, is this platform dying? I guess there aren't enough desk jockeys that live in Outlook anymore.

Also, being able to browse gaf, FB, and UWP Instagram on my monitor and despite my network firewall (because I'm using my cell data) is pretty awesome.

Just got my continuum dock. Typing this on my work monitor with my full size mouse and keyboard. This has to be the future for office drones like me. Outlook, Office, Edge, etc. means I can do a ton of my day to day. Plus I can present at schools with just my phone and dock.

Also, the synergy is pretty awesome. I'm in front of a windows 10 computer all day, and my notifications and texts are coming through my desktop, able to reply to my texts and see my notifications. Why, oh why, is this platform dying? I guess there aren't enough desk jockeys that live in Outlook anymore.

Also, being able to browse gaf, FB, and UWP Instagram on my monitor and despite my network firewall (because I'm using my cell data) is pretty awesome.

Seeing my text notification's, but only being able to reply is so so lame considering they had it all up and running and then killed the functionality "because Skype". :(

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Seeing my text notification's, but only being able to reply is so so lame considering they had it all up and running and then killed the functionality "because Skype". :(

Yeah, I wonder how long it will take to get that back. Shouldn't be too long considering that it worked already, plus it works perfectly through continuum as well.

Still, there's no such functionality on iOS unless you own a Mac, which I don't. At least it works on Android.

I'm also waiting for the firmware upgrade. C'mon AT&T!

Sordid

Ran out of patience and updated to Redstone via the release preview. It's fixed a lot of my live tiles that were borked and everything seems to be running better for me. Saved me from doing the reset I was planning which is handy, I just need the new firmware now!

Has anyone tried these new Mozo cases? I have the black leather one but wouldn't mind some extra colour instead, not sure how good they are though.

Damn that blue is sexy, I'd get it if it provided a better grip than the black plastic cover the 950 comes with. I have a black leather mozo back on mine and I'm spoiled by the grip it gives the phone.

Finally I can get rid of the Ms app.

I'm not on my pc to check, but the sync is on mobile only? Would love to finally have Facebook syncing on pc too.
Not even sure if third party contact sync is supported on desktop right now. The people app is a different version than what's on mobile for some reason.

Desktop facebook was updated for me yesterday though, so maybe worth checking.

Update wise how is the AT&T 950 versus the unlocked one? Best Buy has the AT&T version for $300 which is pretty tempting but the worries about updates has me concerned.

Not even sure if third party contact sync is supported on desktop right now. The people app is a different version than what's on mobile for some reason.

Desktop facebook was updated for me yesterday though, so maybe worth checking.

If there is the option I didn't find it.

I didn't know about People on Pc not support 3rd party syncing, I though it was already in given, just wasn't supported by any app. Ms own apps (Xbox, skype etc) do sync though.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Update wise how is the AT&T 950 versus the unlocked one? Best Buy has the AT&T version for $300 which is pretty tempting but the worries about updates has me concerned.

It's one firmware update behind, and it got the other ones so it's probably a matter of time before this firmware gets released. At&t can't block the OS updates. That's an incredible price. My brother is taking his phone back so he can get the lower pricing.

So how do you restore a backup? I just wiped my device, logged in to my account, selected the backup to restore, and then it asks for a confirmation code from a text message. But I cannot receive text messages at that point. So I cannot restore a backup.

The 'I can't do this right now' option just skips the restore backup step.

dLMN8R

Cool benefit of using Groove on Windows 10 Mobile: You can sign into it using any account, instead of needing to tie it to your Phone's Microsoft Account.

So...my wife appears to be able to share the Groove Music subscription I have by signing in with my account in the app on her phone.

n64coder

So how do you restore a backup? I just wiped my device, logged in to my account, selected the backup to restore, and then it asks for a confirmation code from a text message. But I cannot receive text messages at that point. So I cannot restore a backup.

The 'I can't do this right now' option just skips the restore backup step.

You should be able to choose "Do it a different way" or something like that and you'll get an option of using email or a phone call or something else.

Is your account protected by 2 factor authentication? Another option is to login to live.com and temporarily disable it.

n64coder

So...my wife appears to be able to share the Groove Music subscription I have by signing in with my account in the app on her phone.
But only one person at a time is able to play music, no?

I was using Groove on my W10 PC and wanted to use the phone to look up something and it interrupted by my PC's streaming.

Top Bottom