• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

n64coder

Anyone have recommendations on an C25K (Couch to 5K) for WP? I tried JustRun and it doesn't work well in W10. I need to put it on my W8.1 phone to see if the same bugs are there or if they are specific to W10.

The problems I have are:
- it doesn't run in the background (so I have to keep the phone awake)
- at the end of the run, it doesn't always save the results

I see that Runtastic is available but the Pro version costs $5. Does anyone have experience with it and is it worth it? The Pro version allows you to setup interval runs which is what the C25K program is about.

A 920 with upgraded internals...

OR a 1020 with modern professor and moar RAM...

What a beautiful world it would be.
Yeah, I own a 950XL and my wife has the 950 and they don't match the quality of the 920/1020. Heck I'd take the design and quality of the 830/930 over the 950s.

I even compare my wife's Surface Pro 3 compared to my Lumia 2520 tablet and the Lumia tablet is still amazing is so many ways.

Nokia, you will be missed.

M3d10n

What I don't like about windows ink is that the new nice toolbar full of tools is basically only available to the apps within the ink space themselves... I think I would prefer if it was only tools that were available to all apps that use ink, and they had a collection of apps for the use cases.

For example, it sucks using onenote and not having the same tools that are available on windows ink, and at the same time having these tools only available to 2 apps that are basically the same except that one starts blank and the other with a screen capture is not as useful as it could be.

I think Ink is a library which apps can integrate to become Ink compatible so OneNote might be updated to support it.

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
Just sold my 2 week old Moto X and bought a 950 XL, I missed my 950 too much!

What I don't like about windows ink is that the new nice toolbar full of tools is basically only available to the apps within the ink space themselves... I think I would prefer if it was only tools that were available to all apps that use ink, and they had a collection of apps for the use cases.

For example, it sucks using onenote and not having the same tools that are available on windows ink, and at the same time having these tools only available to 2 apps that are basically the same except that one starts blank and the other with a screen capture is not as useful as it could be.

http://m.windowscentral.com/here-ar...=slider&utm_campaign=navigation&utm_source=wp Windows Ink looks great. I'm guessing Surface Phone will include it.

What are some features ya'll are looking for? Part of the issue is getting internal partners to utilize tools. With 'Redstone,' we hopefully energize other internal teams to utilize Windows Ink. In particular, the InkToolbar is a new Xaml developer control--So any UWP app writer can add Inking to their app with two lines of code. They can also do much more complicated effects, but that's a bit more time costly.

What are some other ways you would want to use a Stylus/Pen?
In case you were unaware, I'm part of the Ink/Controls team that built InkToolbar.

NeOak

In case you were unaware, I'm part of the Ink/Controls team that built InkToolbar.
Tab for dedicated Penis drawing

On a serious note, I miss being able to send handwriting like with MSN messenger

What are some features ya'll are looking for? Part of the issue is getting internal partners to utilize tools. With 'Redstone,' we hopefully energize other internal teams to utilize Windows Ink. In particular, the InkToolbar is a new Xaml developer control--So any UWP app writer can add Inking to their app with two lines of code. They can also do much more complicated effects, but that's a bit more time costly.

I was unware, but it's nice to know you are now on another super cool team :p

For Windows Ink, what I wanted wasn't even features per se, but that if somehow would be the default pen input. For instance, stuff like the ruler being controlled by windows ink without any app knowing, and the app would just receive from the windows ink platform: Okay, the user just drawed this perfect line at that speed.

But perhaps having these tools in a way that apps can easily use it might be even better.

maeh2k

@tomwarren: "Microsoft only sold 13.8 million Lumia phones in an entire year. That's just over 1 million in the last Q of the fiscal year. Ouch."

I don't know why they'd even consider making a Surface Phone...

Make it easier to edit everything. Right now it's a pain in the ass.

NeOak

I don't have anniversary yet, but I remembered that I'd really like to be able to use scratch to erase like OneNote.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
@tomwarren: "Microsoft only sold 13.8 million Lumia phones in an entire year. That's just over 1 million in the last Q of the fiscal year. Ouch."

Crazy. But I think they will still try one more time. Even if they say couple of million a year, and make it profitable business. Thats more than enough at this point. Just how Mac business for Apple turned out to be.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'm partial to the argument that since MS views these things increasingly as mobile computers, they have reframed their expectations, they couldn't have been expecting huge numbers. Phones are a commodity now, and the whole industry is struggling with how to monetize it now that explosive growth has stalled. Doesn't make sense to throw good money after bad. Focus on refining the software and supporting existing devices, then release a reference model next year. If you bought a Lumia 950, you have gotten software support on par with a flagship phone in terms of updates.

The app situation is what it is, and anyone buying into the platform needs to understand that its not going to be supported by third parties in any significant way.

The insider preview release build has no app quick status in glance mode. WTF? That was the equivalent to the blackberry notification light. Please tell me it's returning in a later build.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.

Because I am waiting for them to announce it so I can actually buy a flagship phone. My 1020 is waiting to be replaced.

Do hero images work correctly in Messaging for anyone in toast and action center? I just see a large messaging app icon where the image should be.

I don't think I would recommend it. It won't be officially supported but I think there's a way to put the developer preview on it but I don't think it's a good idea.
God fucking dammit. I bought this phone because I saw the 928 on the supports list. I hate being stuck on 8.1 so fucking much. I cant believe that they would lock out phones like this.

JaggedSac

Wife is deep into Pokémon Go right now. Funnily enough there is an app on WP called Find em All that show all the Pokémon at a specific area on a map. She has been hounding me to help her constantly, lol.

n64coder

God fucking dammit. I bought this phone because I saw the 928 on the supports list. I hate being stuck on 8.1 so fucking much. I cant believe that they would lock out phones like this.

I know it blows (I have a 1020 that was originally on the W10 list). Here's the official supported list

From what I've read over Reddit, they dropped support for some of the phones because of insufficient memory or too slow processor. The W10 experience would not be good.

This is partly why I got the 950XL.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Microsoft to cut 2,850 more jobs, including some in Microsoft sales

MIcrosoft is cutting 2,850 more jobs beyond the 1,850 that the company announced would be eliminated earlier this year. The new cuts will hit phone hardware and sales.

9824f414112c4ab8df3c26554a1a8401.jpg

I know it blows (I have a 1020 that was originally on the W10 list). Here's the official supported list

From what I've read over Reddit, they dropped support for some of the phones because of insufficient memory or too slow processor. The W10 experience would not be good.

This is partly why I got the 950XL.

So looking at that list I see that the 550 is officially supported, does that mean that a 550 is a more powerful device then a 920? That is an awful naming convention if true.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The CNN app no longer works on win10? Not seeing it in the store.

Also, hurry up and give me that new firmware already, I'm ready to jump back, at least for a few months.

n64coder

So looking at that list I see that the 550 is officially supported, does that mean that a 550 is a more powerful device then a 920? That is an awful naming convention if true.

The numbering convention is something like this: <model><generation>

So 830 is part of the "30" generation which is older than the 640.

Within a generation, the higher number for a model signifies whether a phone is more powerful or has more features.

The newest generation is "50" which has 550, 650, and 950.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Because I am waiting for them to announce it so I can actually buy a flagship phone. My 1020 is waiting to be replaced.

Same. I'm already sick of Android and want to come back but I don't want any of the current Windows Phones. Waiting on a Surface Phone.

The interface is a bore but boy does it work. You won't regret it.

But the interface is everything. That's why I enjoy Google's Android. I hope Samsung's theme engine is capable enough.

E: I'm also not too keen on the amoled screen. The white on the demo unit looked like garbage.

Alright. I'm on vacation and I've been using the sketch pad for more than 5 minutes, to scribble up some ideas for my living room. Windows Ink in general seems great for that. Using split view between the browser and OneNote, to browse some new sofas and other furniture, taking a screen sketch with Ink, cropping the image from the browser, adding some notes and copy/pasting it into OneNote. That's actually a great workflow I'm enjoying. Really good stuff (note to the people who are responsible for the OneNote integration in Edge: Don't make Edge the default PDF viewer and then disable the OneNote integration in airplane mode. Internet connectivity should not be necessary for clipping something to OneNote).

Improvements that would be great:
Once I copy/paste something from screen sketch into OneNote, it's a completely rasterized image. I get why that's the case, but it would be great to make corrections to the scribbles from screen sketch in OneNote.

Measurements and grids in sketch pad would be a huge improvement. The ruler makes it really convenient to use the sketch pad for this Sims/Happy Home Designer bullshit I'm doing, but the lack of any measurements and scale also makes it harder than it should be. The alternative would be to let me use the ruler everywhere (note to the OneNote team: just give up all the hard work you've been doing on inking over the past couple of years and adopt the Windows Ink Godness. Thank you).

Let me select, group, move and transform ink strokes. You know, like in Illustrator. It doesn't have to be as powerful, of course, but being able to select a note and resize it afterwards would be really convenient.

I think that's it for now. Would the Feedback app be the best place to post this for the rest of the team?

One thing I really loved about OneNote was that the right click menu was a radial dial with a lot of the major options in there. I don't know if it's feasible with the way that context menus work in Windows, but it would be *really cool* to find some way to take inspiration from that throughout windows.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
So there is a way to install Pokémon Go on W10 mobile :O
WIndows Central wrote an article. Try it out guys. I dont care much but want to know some impressions lol

I have a 950 but am thinking of selling it and getting a 950xl. Does anyone know if the iris scanner on the xl is faster than the regular 950?

n64coder

I have a 950 but am thinking of selling it and getting a 950xl. Does anyone know if the iris scanner on the xl is faster than the regular 950?
I doubt it's faster. It's slow on the 950 XL in my opinion. It depends if you have it the right distance and angle.

Top Bottom