• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Cool benefit of using Groove on Windows 10 Mobile: You can sign into it using any account, instead of needing to tie it to your Phone's Microsoft Account.

So...my wife appears to be able to share the Groove Music subscription I have by signing in with my account in the app on her phone.

But only one person at a time is able to play music, no?

I was using Groove on my W10 PC and wanted to use the phone to look up something and it interrupted by my PC's streaming.

Yeah, sometimes it does allow two streams, but that seems more like an error. Most of the time it just drops the first one streaming.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Since the last fast ring build most of my live tiles haven't been working great. Probably one my biggest issue with WP is the inconsistency of the tiles.

dLMN8R

Yeah, sometimes it does allow two streams, but that seems more like an error. Most of the time it just drops the first one streaming.

Makes sense. When I'm listening to music I'm usually listening to my own stuff anyway. Just nice to be able to stream on any device when my wife and I are together.

JaggedSac

Since the last fast ring build most of my live tiles haven't been working great. Probably one my biggest issue with WP is the inconsistency of the tiles.

Have there been any builds past Redstone? I haven't gotten any. Reminds me to get off the fast ring though, I don't want my phone getting the first builds for the next big update.

Prez

Anyone know how I can schedule text messages on WP10? I need to send a text every two hours to pay for parking my car.

derFeef

Getting my Pebble today... will be an interesting experiment how the unofficial stuff works.

it's pretty terrible, lol.
I mean it's cleary not supported officially. App/watchface installs work on one app but notifications only with the other. Would not be a problem if the synchronisation would be WATCH based and not APP based. It always uses the app as last synchronisation and not the watch and what is installed.

I'm not sure what does it, but sometimes, the IR scanner is so freaking fast, it's jarring. Why can't it always be so fast though?

I've noticed with my Surface that it's really dependent on the lighting situation. A little sun in your face can mess it up, while it works perfectly in the dark.

hadareud

The Translator
Yeah, it doesn't do well in the sun.

I really like the technology, especially on my Surface, but there's certainly still room for improvement for the next generation.

All in all, it's much preferable to a fingerprint reader on a tablet/laptop/PC while on the phone I guess a fingerprint reader is better.

Yeah, it doesn't do well in the sun.

I really like the technology, especially on my Surface, but there's certainly still room for improvement for the next generation.

All in all, it's much preferable to a fingerprint reader on a tablet/laptop/PC while on the phone I guess a fingerprint reader is better.

Makes me really mad that there aren't any 3rd party cameras for PCs.

hadareud

The Translator
I suspect there's just not enough money to be made from these type of peripherals on PC.

I remember how difficult it was to get a fingerprint reader for my PC 5,6 years ago. There was almost fuck all available and the stuff that was available didn't have drivers that worked properly etc.

I suspect there's just not enough money to be made from these type of peripherals on PC.

I remember how difficult it was to get a fingerprint reader for my PC 5,6 years ago. There was almost fuck all available and the stuff that was available didn't have drivers that worked properly etc.

But there's a market for higher end webcams and I guess I expected those to support Hello down the line.

Guess not.

Paganmoon

I remember getting a semi-cheap Microsoft branded keyboard many years ago, 8+ at least that came with a fingerprint reader on it. Though I think biometrics didn't catch on until many years later when all laptops started shipping with fingerprint readers, so it was maybe "too soon" and just faded away.

frontieruk

Little write-up from Thurrott.

Developer: Microsoft Undermined Windows 10 Mobile and Our App
https://www.thurrott.com/windows/wi...er-microsoft-undermined-windows-10-mobile-app

Really not a good look.

Thank you, but I prefer a retail product from a bigger manufacturer, who might support the hardware a little longer.

As far as I'm aware they are still supporting it with regular software updates...

Or you could buy it from Steelseries if you want it rebranded... Fun fact they launched the hardware first even though it's a rebrand.

Klocker

New .67 update still has issues updating calendar tile

Anyone have a fix for that besides resetting, did that a couple times , on 640 btw

The comedy central metro app stopped working recently, now I gotta go to comedycentral.nl to watch the Daily Show a day late, in SD and with a ton of ads. I miss the app already

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
T-Mobile drops the HTC 10 after less than 3 months. Might be a good flagship android phone to find for cheap. I don't see LG keeping up with Samsung either.

https://www.engadget.com/2016/08/12/t-mobile-quietly-drops-the-htc-10-after-three-months/

I haven't found it at a steep discount anywhere. Feel bad for HTC, looks like this is a good phone, but it got totally ignored in the ultra competitive Android market, where $400 phones have 99% of what you will ever need.

How difficult would it have been to put out a Win10 version? It's not like MS has put anything out there to compete with it. 3% of the market was right there for the taking!

clav

Considering that RS1 isn't ready yet for upgrade on mobile, Windows 10 availability doesn't really matter.

At least the Raspberry Pi got an upgrade to 14393 although I don't think anyone develops on Windows IoT (unless he/she is really bored) since Linux is still king.

NeOak

Considering that RS1 isn't ready yet for upgrade on mobile, Windows 10 availability doesn't really matter.

At least the Raspberry Pi got an upgrade to 14393 although I don't think anyone develops on Windows IoT (unless he/she is really bored) since Linux is still king.
Yocto is the most common thing, yeah. Who knows about W10 IoT, it is Windows Embedded after all.

clav

It hasn't, but what does that have to do with the HTC 10 with Windows?

Seems like mobile is still not ready yet, so HTC 10 with Windows wouldn't have made a difference.

HTC has the same problem as Nokia (and every competitor out there) has. How do you compete in a market where consumers view iPhone as #1 (you have one) and Android as secondary when the Indian/Chinese products are selling for less?

Yocto is the most common thing, yeah. Who knows about W10 IoT, it is Windows Embedded after all.

W10 IoT is essentially mobile. Smartphones are part of the IoT movement.

Windows Embedded is Windows stuck in a frozen state with DeepFreeze. You see ATM/Self-Checkout/Digital Billboard machines use this OS.

I wonder why Thurrott hasn't written about this. Then again, I think it's out of his tech knowledge.

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/iot/Docs/WhatsNew

MS showcases some sample projects, but nothing really stands out that you can't do in a Linux environment:

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/iot/explore/iotcore

Top Bottom