• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

It's hard for me to trust Samsung after the experiences I've had. It always starts out positive, then unfortunately degrades after an update or a certain number of app installs or just time. I've been warning people for years about this, because it's been my own experience across several devices and generations. I love their hardware and even some of their software features so I keep giving them opportunities, but I don't think you can own a Samsung flagship for a year and not experience some severe issue with performance.

I'm lusting after a note 7, but I can already see it's still more of the same: great out of the box experience, then potential trouble as you load it up with apps and time passes.

I really can't wait to get the S7 today or tomorrow, because I've always been curious about this.

Buying the international unlocked version probably helps, because it comes with less garbage pre-installed.

derFeef

Saw / tested a colleagues S7 once. It's incredible unremarkable and boring.
But I would say that about the 950 as well, minus the OS.

The 950 itself may not be the most exciting phone ever, but the Icon is my first phone ever to last more than two years without me getting severe phone lust. I've been at my renewal date for a good few months and really it's just the battery starting to crap out that's pushing me to change over.

I completely agree with you on the design of the S7. It's better than the iPhone (which doesn't look bad per sé, but is ruined by the back), but there's absolutely nothing interesting or remarkable about the design. It could be so much better if they'd offer it in other colors, because good colors can levitate an industrial design to the next level. The OG Nexus 5 looks as interesting as a slice of bread, but in bright, almost neon red? It's a total conversation starter. Immagine if the Lumia 800/900/920 hadn't been available in Cyan, Red or yellow back then.

At least I was able to switch my order for the S7 from black to white, because black still wasn't available.

The backs covers and the look of the camera modules on Samsung phones are so ugly.

I can see why. I really dislike the look and placement of the flash on the Galaxy series. But I'll tip my hat to Samsung for making the device slightly thicker, when they went from the S6 to the S7. The camera bumps are the easily worst part of modern smartphone designs and Apple and LG totally shit their bed with the iPhone 6S/7 and G5. It looks so bad.

e: I might get a Nextbit Robin, if and when they're on sale again. $200 for a burner phone that looks that good is a steal. I absolutely love it.

CaptainABAB

So I have a brand new 950. It says I have the following updates available under Phone Update:
* Windows 10 Mobile (10.0.10586.545)
* MICROSOFTMDG Update for Windows Phone..

But I keep getting the following error after it performs the download and starts the installation process..

Some update files are missing or have problems. We'll try to download the update again later
Error Code: 0x80073712

WTH Microsoft - how the hell is this happening on a new device? I get the same error even after a reset where I start off with a "clean slate" and don't use the restore from backup option.

I am not going thru the Insider program, just the standard Settings > Update.

I've tried several times over the weekend - does anyone have any recommendations on how to resolve this? Most of my google searches end up with solutions for the desktop updates.

NeOak

It's hard for me to trust Samsung after the experiences I've had. It always starts out positive, then unfortunately degrades after an update or a certain number of app installs or just time. I've been warning people for years about this, because it's been my own experience across several devices and generations. I love their hardware and even some of their software features so I keep giving them opportunities, but I don't think you can own a Samsung flagship for a year and not experience some severe issue with performance.

I'm lusting after a note 7, but I can already see it's still more of the same: great out of the box experience, then potential trouble as you load it up with apps and time passes.

I just saw this

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1267290

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

None of this is surprising because I've been saying the same thing for a long time, and getting called a liar or fanboy. This despite investing thousands of my own dollars on various Samsung flagships. I care a lot about displays and cameras which is why I keep hoping that they can turn their software around.

HTC has the best Android phone this year and nobody bought it because they priced it too high and they don't have the name recognition or marketing to do so.

hadareud

The Translator
heh

I was more referring to your repeated nose turning at the 950's material. Cheap plastic, if I remember correctly.

Well, the cheap plastic on the 950 certainly doesn't bend, crack and rip like that nicely designed polycarbonate.

clav

heh

I was more referring to your repeated nose turning at the 950's material. Cheap plastic, if I remember correctly.

Well, the cheap plastic on the 950 certainly doesn't bend, crack and rip like that nicely designed polycarbonate.

Just because it's plastic doesn't necessary mean it fails when done correctly.

A lot of car parts are plastic that hold up for at least 5 years.

In fact, I think plastic molds are more expensive than metal dies.

I have that Blu phone and love it. I have the 2gb of ram model and it does everything I need it to do except for the shit camera.

I was thinking about buying one if I were to switch carriers, but I think I'd still prefer a Nexus overall.

Really does redefine the Android market for an affordable burner phone.

heh

I'd forgive the 950 series, if it didn't put me to sleep while looking at it. The Robin fares much better in that regard.

E: Not to mention that the Robin didn't launch for €599/699.

Like I said, plastic can look good, if you put some effort into it. That clearly didn't happen with the 950 series. Also, don't ask for the same money as your competition, who's using better materials. I wouldn't have bitched as loudly about the 950 series, if they had launched for 299/399, for example.

clav

MS really should push out the latest revision soon.

14393 has some very weird power on bugs on desktop/laptop revision 51.

Sorry for DP,but I've got a weird issue. So brand new Lumia 950, ATT version, on Cricket. Calls and data work fine, but texting doesn't, BUT I was able to get the default Cricket welcome texts. Number was ported from Verizon. Any ideas?

clav

Sorry for DP,but I've got a weird issue. So brand new Lumia 950, ATT version, on Cricket. Calls and data work fine, but texting doesn't, BUT I was able to get the default Cricket welcome texts. Number was ported from Verizon. Any ideas?

How many days since the port?

Usually it takes about a couple days for things to settle down.

clav

It will take a few days. Probably by Thursday morning for things to be 100% at the latest.

Might be done by 11 AM EST by tomorrow.

You may also have to restart the phone.

Depends when the rerouting instructions go active. By law, carriers have to port a number within 24 hours requested or they face a severe penalty. Afterwards, other services can slowly go online.

It will take a few days. Probably by Thursday morning for things to be 100% at the latest.

Might be done by 11 AM EST by tomorrow.

Depends when the rerouting instructions go active.

You may also have to restart the phone.

Okay, I guess if it's normal for text messages to take a while to port, then I won't be too worried. Just a bit annoying I guess.

this_guy

Okay, I guess if it's normal for text messages to take a while to port, then I won't be too worried. Just a bit annoying I guess.

Also, you're not coming from an iPhone are you? iMessage is known to eat up text messages if you switch away from iPhone and do not disable iMessage.

Also, you're not coming from an iPhone are you? iMessage is known to eat up text messages if you switch away from iPhone and do not disable iMessage.

Hell no. Coming from an Icon.
I'm letting it update, and my phone just gave me a notice that my SIM settings changed and need to be restarted. This might be what I was waiting on, who knows.

Sweet! Everything's working now. Also got it nice and updated and HOLY SHIT IT DOESN'T CHANGE THE WALLPAPER STYLE WHEN I UPDATE THE PHOTO.

This is clearly much further along in updates than the Icon is.

How much battery does Glance wallpaper use? Wondering if I'm going to use it or not.

How do I get the "Swipe up to dismiss lock screen" message to go away?

I currently have a 920, and I'm torn. Do I go up to a 950, or do I jump ship to an iPhone or an Android device? I've been fighting the WP fight since it began, basically, but it feels like any chance of real progress (and thus better support) is now thoroughly in the gutter. Yet, I'm in the ecosystem - I have a surface, use Win10 every day, etc. Very much unsure of what to do.

hankster

I currently have a 920, and I'm torn. Do I go up to a 950, or do I jump ship to an iPhone or an Android device? I've been fighting the WP fight since it began, basically, but it feels like any chance of real progress (and thus better support) is now thoroughly in the gutter. Yet, I'm in the ecosystem - I have a surface, use Win10 every day, etc. Very much unsure of what to do.

I'm curious to see the new HTC Nexus phones ...

Liberty4all

Banned
I moved from a 920 to an S7 in March 2016. Had my 920 since launch.

I hate it, missing Metro in a big way. Miss Wordflow SO much.

I switched partly because of a lack of app updates. Are things better now? I hate android. Hate.

Liberty4all

Banned
What do you hate about it?

Biggest thing is that the app I'm using for keyboard (Swiftkey) blows compared to Wordflow.

Aside from that I really miss Live Tiles. I just don't get the same info from my front screen that I used to get from Windows. Apps are better in android though ... Updated regularly. I miss the overall UI experience of Windows ... I still use my 920 as an alarm clock. Miss it hugely. I used my 920 from launch until March 2016.

Klocker

Does Android marshmallow 6 have reply to text from notification tray?

I need a phone that can run Line 2 and may pick up a moto g

Biggest thing is that the app I'm using for keyboard (Swiftkey) blows compared to Wordflow.

Aside from that I really miss Live Tiles. I just don't get the same info from my front screen that I used to get from Windows. Apps are better in android though ... Updated regularly. I miss the overall UI experience of Windows ... I still use my 920 as an alarm clock. Miss it hugely. I used my 920 from launch until March 2016.

I understand where you're coming from when it comes to the keyboard. As much as I like Swiftkey and its ability to use multiple languages at once and not making a mess out of it, it still doesn't come close to the feeling and feedback that Wordflow provides. They did such a good job, which makes it even more infuriating that it's not on the big Windows versions. With the iOS version being out for a while, I really hope they're going to release the Android version soon.

Does Android marshmallow 6 have reply to text from notification tray?

I need a phone that can run Line 2 and may pick up a moto g

It does support that, yes.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The iOS word flow is good, but it's very different from the Windows phone version. Visually, features, and even the sounds. It's not the same app. Better in some ways, worse in others. Most people think it's just the WP version ported to ios and its not.

The iOS word flow is good, but it's very different from the Windows phone version. Visually, features, and even the sounds. It's not the same app. Better in some ways, worse in others. Most people think it's just the WP version ported to ios and its not.

And now I suddenly don't care anymore. Thank you!

RIP, best software keyboard on any smartphone platform. It's a shame that you had to die like that. May your rotting corpse bring joy to the few truly faithful who are still left.

Top Bottom