• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Paganmoon

Square Enix Montreal says no plans for Windows 10 version of Deus Ex Go, I'm devastated. Was so looking forward to another Go game.

And yes, I do have an iPhone for work, but I don't want install games on it and I certainly don't buy apps for private use with that account, so it's a no Go.

CaptainABAB

So my Nexus 5x stopped working yesterday. I am considering getting an unlocked 950 to hold me over until the replacement arrives and to have as a backup.

As a long-time Samsung Focus and Lumia 920 owner, I miss the WP 7/8 OS.

This way, I can try out W10 and see if I can deal with the lack of apps. If not, this will be a backup and I can always use it over wifi.

What's the best current deal out there on an unlocked 950? Are there any deals that include any extra accessories, etc.?

NeOak

So my Nexus 5x stopped working yesterday. I am considering getting an unlocked 950 to hold me over until the replacement arrives and to have as a backup.

As a long-time Samsung Focus and Lumia 920 owner, I miss the WP 7/8 OS.

This way, I can try out W10 and see if I can deal with the lack of apps. If not, this will be a backup and I can always use it over wifi.

What's the best current deal out there on an unlocked 950? Are there any deals that include any extra accessories, etc.?

Deal is over. It had a dock included from the MS store.

NeOak

I am on AT&T but won't that mean I'm beholden to ATT to get updates? Is there any other downsides/differences?
Firmware updates are gated by AT&T. Like the double tap to wake. This is due to FW handling the radio stack.

OS updates are separate and handled by MS. So you can get the Anniversary update, etc.

And you can't unlock it for the first six months I think, but YMMV.

Firmware updates are gated by AT&T. Like the double tap to wake. This is due to FW handling the radio stack.

OS updates are separate and handled by MS. So you can get the Anniversary update, etc.

And you can't unlock it for the first six months I think, but YMMV.
Wait, I thought the ATT branded one on the Ms store was unlocked?

hadareud

The Translator
Live tile works just fine, though. The UI is Facebook, it's bound to suck.

Overall it's a lot better than the old app imo. It's fully featured and looks fine.

JaggedSac

Live tile works just fine, though. The UI is Facebook, it's bound to suck.

Overall it's a lot better than the old app imo. It's fully featured and looks fine.

I also have no problems with it. Well, besides the fact that my Facebook feed is full of garbage so I never look at it. But it does help me keep track of birthdays and contact photos.

Amazon pushed the UWP update for their app and it's a wrapper for the homepage. It's not even responsive, when you resize it. Pretty funny, if you ask me.

lZ3BCKF.jpg

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Windows 10, whether on Xbox, phone, or laptop, is infuriatingly bad at WiFi. I just don't get it. Turning on the Xbox kills my wifi every time, the phone and laptop are just erratic. There are some routers that work pretty good, but I've had so many issues with WiFi that it's just mind boggling.

clav

Windows 10, whether on Xbox, phone, or laptop, is infuriatingly bad at WiFi. I just don't get it. Turning on the Xbox kills my wifi every time, the phone and laptop are just erratic. There are some routers that work pretty good, but I've had so many issues with WiFi that it's just mind boggling.

Upgrade your router to third party firmware if supported.

I think I remember you own a Belkin? They don't really update firmware.

NeOak

Have Windows 10 tablets, laptops, phones and XBOs over Wi-Fi both 5GHz and 2.4Ghz.

0 problems over Wi-Fi here. It is your router.

joshschw

I have to admit I am getting frustrated with things lately. It's not the app gap, it's not OS bugs... It's things like I am on my FOURTH 950XL in 2.5 months and on this one the display has a faint gradient from top to bottom. Where is the hardware quality control??? (on my second MS Band 2 as well)

It's things like the Photos app still not even being able to swipe and scroll through images even halfway reliably.

That one is just mindboggling to me. The Photos app was always poor, but it made some headway, however small, but it's gone to being the worst it's ever been in recent weeks. Like this on all my 950XL's. Like this on my mothers 640. It's just a joke. WTF are they doing?

Treo360

The new insider build has borked my surface pro into a buggy mess, and has broken Cortana on my 950xl to the point Test I have to back out of the so just to do different searches, also Cortana does not read aloud the text messages that I have it do when I'm driving, having me to look at the phone to see if it dictated it right.

JaggedSac

The new insider build has borked my surface pro into a buggy mess, and has broken Cortana on my 950xl to the point Test I have to back out of the so just to do different searches, also Cortana does not read aloud the text messages that I have it do when I'm driving, having me to look at the phone to see if it dictated it right.

These insider builds are the first ones for Redstone 2, you should have bailed until they get to a good state. Especially these where they are fiddling with the core.

Paganmoon

These insider builds are the first ones for Redstone 2, you should have bailed until they get to a good state. Especially these where they are fiddling with the core.

Jupp, I bailed out to release preview as soon as they announced 14393 was the Anniversary build. So many problems with the first Redstone builds, hell I had problems with the builds they released during early summer as well. So I'm going to stick to release preview for a long time now I think.

So I'll be getting my 950 on Tuesday, and activating on Cricket. It's the ATT model. Any recommendations on where to start with it? Should I go on an insider build? Any cool shit that I don't have on my Icon that I should know about?

Milchmann

So I'll be getting my 950 on Tuesday, and activating on Cricket. It's the ATT model. Any recommendations on where to start with it? Should I go on an insider build? Any cool shit that I don't have on my Icon that I should know about?

Imo Insider isn't worth it. Just stay on production (assuming your phone gets updates on time).

NeOak

Don't even bother with insider IMO. It will get production releases when they are ready, pretty much at the same time as everyone else.

Insider will make you rage if you want something stable and that does not require praying to RNGesus so a new build doesn't break something you use.

joshschw

Don't even bother with insider IMO. It will get production releases when they are ready, pretty much at the same time as everyone else.

Insider will make you rage if you want something stable and that does not require praying to RNGesus so a new build doesn't break something you use.

I agree, stay on Production at this point, or at most Release Preview, but it's not necessary, as when it's used, it's just a few days ahead of Production.

No point whatsoever jumping to Redstone 2 builds at this point. Nothing new yet, and when there is new stuff, it's going to be glitch for some time.

Also has a pretty lovely gutter, for the settings cog wheel, specially noticeably on Mobile, Windows Phone 7 never died!
Lol that's terrible.

On topic, does anyone else feels like uwp who are actually web apps are just terrible on mobile? On every single one I've tried things like gps won't work, and the back button is completely ignored for navigation just closing the app instead.

You know, seeing that thread about how shit Samsung is, and how every single Android phone is some sort of compromise of what you want to be shit about it, it makes me appreciate that the biggest thing I need to worry about with W10 is a WIP OS, and lack of apps I don't even use.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
It's hard for me to trust Samsung after the experiences I've had. It always starts out positive, then unfortunately degrades after an update or a certain number of app installs or just time. I've been warning people for years about this, because it's been my own experience across several devices and generations. I love their hardware and even some of their software features so I keep giving them opportunities, but I don't think you can own a Samsung flagship for a year and not experience some severe issue with performance.

I'm lusting after a note 7, but I can already see it's still more of the same: great out of the box experience, then potential trouble as you load it up with apps and time passes.

Tomcat

It's hard for me to trust Samsung after the experiences I've had. It always starts out positive, then unfortunately degrades after an update or a certain number of app installs or just time. I've been warning people for years about this, because it's been my own experience across several devices and generations. I love their hardware and even some of their software features so I keep giving them opportunities, but I don't think you can own a Samsung flagship for a year and not experience some severe issue with performance.

I'm lusting after a note 7, but I can already see it's still more of the same: great out of the box experience, then potential trouble as you load it up with apps and time passes.

http://www.xda-developers.com/with-...delivers-embarrassing-real-world-performance/

Top Bottom