• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

dLMN8R

The iOS word flow is good, but it's very different from the Windows phone version. Visually, features, and even the sounds. It's not the same app. Better in some ways, worse in others. Most people think it's just the WP version ported to ios and its not.

Yep, I've tried and tried to get used to it on iOS - especially with the new version which came out this week - but I just can't. Something feels "off" about it.

When normal tap-typing it's not as accurate as the default iOS keyboard.

When swiping it's not as accurate as the Windows Phone keyboard.

The new features for gifs and searches are neat, but they're not that necessary for me.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I don't know why they couldn't just port the WP version. Then add the slide over GIF/image/contact features, plus the customizations. Those are really nice. But I think the one handed mode thing was a separate app and they went with that instead and then tried to build back some of the wp features.

Edit: to be clear, this is still my favorite keyboard on ios. And if it were on Android I would use it over the Google keyboard. I've never liked swiftkey.

For those of you on Redstone production/release preview, what's the build # of the Store? I have an older build on mobile than I do on Desktop (SP4 is on production). Seems odd.

So, is there a better app for photos on WP10 than the stock photos app? I'm not *too* bothered by the stock one, but if there's a better one I'd be interested to know.

Paganmoon

Anyone having issues with latest release preview build and the lock screen? Every other time I get a black background with only text and can't do anything. Have to turn the screen off and on again to get it to unlock with hello or pin.

n64coder

Anyone having issues with latest release preview build and the lock screen? Every other time I get a black background with only text and can't do anything. Have to turn the screen off and on again to get it to unlock with hello or pin.

I'm on insider slow and occasionally, I get just the background (Bing) with no PIN entry. I had to turn the screen on/off to get it working. So I guess it's a similar issue?

Paganmoon

I'm on insider slow and occasionally, I get just the background (Bing) with no PIN entry. I had to turn the screen on/off to get it working. So I guess it's a similar issue?

yeah, sounds about the same. And I think release preview, and slow ring got the build at the same time so it's most likely the same build.

Edit: also occasionally getting the correct screen with Hello stating "looking for you" but the IR light does not turn on (and in turn does not unlock with Hello).

Cortana on Android is a battery killer.

Do not use.

Guess the whole Continuum experience still relies on WM.

And in typical Android fashion, it can be very random. It can work for weeks, but one day you check your phone, it's at 30% battery and it's only 2 pm.

e: But thanks for reminding me. I forgot to install it on the S7. I wouldn't have, if they had made it available outside the US and just let me download it from the Play Store, but hey!

hwalker84

Another iPhone is about to come out. I only bought this thing to be a temporary device. Looks like I'll be getting another one come next month. Please for the love of god get a Surface phone out please!

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'm on like three phones a year schedule, it's a disease. I'm ready to ditch this SE, and the 950 may have just had its last major update. I want an HTC 10 but it's not available via my carrier and I don't want to finance it myself. The note 7 is held back by Samsung software again, and Apple may be jumping the shark this year. Ugh.

bkw

So my HTC 8x battery life is finally getting short enough that it sometimes doesn't last me the whole day. Plus being stuck on Windows Phone 8.1 kinda sucks. What would it be like switching to something like the 640/650 when it comes to performance? Is the 8x faster or slower than those devices?

So my HTC 8x battery life is finally getting short enough that it sometimes doesn't last me the whole day. Plus being stuck on Windows Phone 8.1 kinda sucks. What would it be like switching to something like the 640/650 when it comes to performance? Is the 8x faster or slower than those devices?
The 8x is quite old, I'd imagine the 650 would be quite a jump. Can't speak to the 640.

NeOak

The 8x is quite old, I'd imagine the 650 would be quite a jump. Can't speak to the 640.

640 should be a bit faster. And it has longer battery life than the 650. Plus it is a bit higher quality, even if it is hard to believe.

It would be around the same performance as the 8x, but with two extra CPU cores. Single threaded stuff would be the same.

Does anyone in here have an android phone? I just got the Droid Maxx 2 and I got most of the MS apps I want installed, but I cant find the Edge browser. Is that not available on Android? I am also super bummed that so few games on android have Xbox achievements. The screen looks great though, big improvement over the icon.

Does anyone in here have an android phone? I just got the Droid Maxx 2 and I got most of the MS apps I want installed, but I cant find the Edge browser. Is that not available on Android? I am also super bummed that so few games on android have Xbox achievements. The screen looks great though, big improvement over the icon.

There's no Edge browser on Android.

Lazaro

Edge is not available for Android.

So far I think Wordament, Wordament Snap Attack and Minecraft (Amazon, Google Play and Gear VR) are the only XBL enabled games for Android. Minecraft interestingly uses the latest XBL API that's also used in Windows 10 devices.

Thanks for the replies guys. I am really surprised that so many other MS services and apps are on android but not edge. Hopefully they fix that soon.

I need a new phone every year. I hate Android. So it's IOS for me. Plus my screen has some weird stuff going on with it. Two permanent white spots near the top like it was squeezed way too hard.

But the iPhone 7 is such a non-upgrade. Can't you just get a cheap 6S or 5SE?

Paganmoon

But the iPhone 7 is such a non-upgrade. Can't you just get a cheap 6S or 5SE?

But it's not even announced yet. It might have some innovative, never before seen thing like a "QuickViewScreen" that shows the time and some other info on your screen even when it's off, so you can check the time and such at a glance.

I somehow doubt you'll see edge on other platforms. No secret reason to think that or anything, just a gut feeling.

Like, what would be the reason for Android users to use Edge? I don't think there's a big enough user base to make a port viable, just for password and bookmark sync. Like Windows Phone, the majority of employees would have to use that browser first to see what's missing. And if your oldest Evangelists can't bring themselves to use your browser, why bother?

I'd love to know the MAU for Microsoft apps on Android, with a breakdown per app. Must be interesting.

Like, what would be the reason for Android users to use Edge?

I'd love to know the MAU for Microsoft apps on Android, with a breakdown per app. Must be interesting.

I just used edge on my phone and on my laptop so I figured I would keep using it if I could. I want my phone experience to be as close to a Windows Phone as possible.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
But it's not even announced yet. It might have some innovative, never before seen thing like a "QuickViewScreen" that shows the time and some other info on your screen even when it's off, so you can check the time and such at a glance.

A glance screen? This changes everything. Again.

Also, when live tiles comes to ios next year that's going to be revolutionary.

And Android fanboys will be like "omg, we've had this for years. It's called 'widgets' you stupid iSheeple!"

But seriously, I really can't wait for next year's anniversary iPhone. It's clear that they've been holding back this year, to make the anniversary next year really special. Can't celebrate your 10 year anniversary of the mobile revolution with an S-style refresh.

Lazaro

iOS already has live tile type functionality.

There's the calendar icon which changes everyday.

and the animated clock was introduced in iOS7
iOS-7-Clock-app-icon-moving.gif

iOS also does that perspective thingy.
ezgif-4005175863.gif

Top Bottom