• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

NeOak

I love the Band 2 data but notifications on it are way too spotty, even with my 950. Plus syncing takes too long. Ready to dump it.
There aren't that many after the update from 8.1 to 10.

Oh yeah, updated again to 10 using the upgrade advisor this time. The anniversary update works perfectly. I'm impressed.

Milchjon

Tell me if I'm crazy for wanting an iPhone for the first time in my life.

It sounds really dumb, but the simple combination of finally OIS, finally water resistant and the antenna changes made it go from an absolute non-option (the 6S was the ugliest high end phone on the market) to desirable.

Now I need to decide on whether the camera differences make it worth paying like 300 bucks extra for a Plus...

Anyhow, how hard is it to include an iPhone into a traditionally Apple-free MS-based personal ecosystem? Cause I sure won't drop Windows 10.

For context: I don't care about the headphone jack stuff or the lack of changes compared to the 6S. It will be a huge upgrade over my 640 either way.

Yes, you're crazy for wanting an iPhone now that they are getting worse.
As for using it in a Windows environment, good luck. Apple's whole MO is to slowly suck you into Apple everything because they make it a pain in the ass to not do so.

It sounds really dumb, but the simple combination of finally OIS, finally water resistant and the antenna changes made it go from an absolute non-option (the 6S was the ugliest high end phone on the market) to desirable.

Now I need to decide on whether the camera differences make it worth paying like 300 bucks extra for a Plus...

Anyhow, how hard is it to include an iPhone into a traditionally Apple-free MS-based personal ecosystem? Cause I sure won't drop Windows 10.

For context: I don't care about the headphone jack stuff or the lack of changes compared to the 6S. It will be a huge upgrade over my 640 either way.

The phone is still ugly and I wouldn't buy it, because I'm expecting something new from Apple next year, for their anniversary phone.

You can use iOS without any real limitations, but won't be able to use some neat iOS/macOS features.

Doesn't the iPhone 7 look practically identical?

The antenna lines are a huge deal, not that the 7 solved it much better. But the back is still ruined by the shitty camera bump. Jony Ivy clearly took some time off.

hadareud

The Translator
I don't think it's ugly, camera bump doesn't bother me. It is boring and bland, though.

But if you thought that the 6 and 6s were ugly, then 7 is just as ugly imo.

JaggedSac

All phones these days are bland and boring. And if they aren't, they are over designed. We are at coasting mode in terms of company phone designs.

Milchjon

Doesn't the iPhone 7 look practically identical?

No. Night and Day.

apple-iphone-6-64gb-spacegrau-Seitenansicht,art,xl_2,2121.jpg

I9s8uMV.png

Changing the antenna lines also mitigates brot's complaint about the protruding cam. Looks much better now.

Edit: Why the fuck did imgur make it so hard to find the direct embeddable link lately. Fucking hell.

No. Night and Day.

apple-iphone-6-64gb-spacegrau-Seitenansicht,art,xl_2,2121.jpg

I9s8uMV.png

Changing the antenna lines also mitigates brot's complaint about the protruding cam. Looks much better now.

Edit: Why the fuck did imgur make it so hard to find the direct embeddable link lately. Fucking hell.

Sorry, but no. The dual camera setup makes it even worse on the Plus. It looks like garbage, like the LG G5.

This statement has no basis in reality. The edge screens alone is the opposite of boring and bland, regardless of how you feel about the looks.

You're right. I'm ignoring the Edge line completely, because it's not practical, but it does look nice.

Vyer

MS actually puts a lot of good work into their iOS apps. I use primarily MS services with my iPhone.

Milchjon

The antenna lines gone is hardly "night and day" imo. It's still practically identical in design and look.

Different strokes and whatever.
The 6/6S antenna lines were the biggest failure in iPhone design history to me.

The new ones don't bother me at all.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
MS actually puts a lot of good work into their iOS apps. I use primarily MS services with my iPhone.

Same here, I feel like its a more natural landing place for Windows phone fans than Android. That said, Apple continues to double down on policies that I feel are anti consumer in many ways. I would feel better about getting rid of the headphone jack if the port they used was USB c like on their laptops. I can't think of a non cynical reason why they would stick to lightning. This latest iPhone unveiling somehow really irritated me, even if I knew what was coming.

Same here, I feel like its a more natural landing place for Windows phone fans than Android. That said, Apple continues to double down on policies that I feel are anti consumer in many ways. I would feel better about getting rid of the headphone jack if the port they used was USB c like on their laptops. I can't think of a non cynical reason why they would stick to lightning. This latest iPhone unveiling somehow really irritated me, even if I knew what was coming.
Exactly how I feel about apple and why I refuse to support them.

Meanwhile, both Android and WP have their own issues. It's just a matter of preference and at the moment I choose my 950XL.

Vyer

I don't care about the headphone jack, but I understand why the people who do would be upset. I don't really buy a lot of the conspiracy theories about it though, and it's not like most of them wouldn't apply to USB-C anyway. either way moving the phone from their ports (especially after just changing it to lightning recently) to USB wasn't ever going to happen.

I suspect, and I am most curious to see whether or not it's the case, that most people don't really give a shit and just use what comes in the box. and if headphone makers start pushing out product pretty quickly (cheap and high end)....I don't know. It just might not matter much.

or maybe it will, and they'll have to walk it all back if shit goes badly and put it back in. who knows.

I seem to recall reading an article awhile back that mentioned something like 70%ish of iPhone users just used the ear-pods that came in the box. I wish I could find a source, but it was a quite a while ago and now the only articles that get pulled up are related to them removing the headphone jack.

Honestly, one year from now I would be surprised if people are still talking about it. I think most people are just going to use the included lightning ear-pods and the people who buy higher end headphones probably already own a pair of BT ones, or they will just buy something new.

clav

I was happy when I switched to a phone that had a headphone jack many years ago.

People have no idea how annoying it can be without one.

Back in my day, we had mini USB ports on smartphones. If you forgot the adapter, you're fucked unless you had bluetooth headphones, which are still expensive and have shitty audio.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
OF COURSE people are just going to use what's in the box. The problem is that those break easily, and now you have to have an easy to lose adapter before you can use any of the dozens of other headphones in your house. Or buy a headphone that works with exactly one device in your house because it uses a proprietary port.

I could probably live with the hassle, maybe I'll buy one anyway, my biggest concern is the apparent pattern of anti consumer moves that they seem to be doubling down on. They didn't have a good answer as to why this was good. And they had a long time to prepare.

NeOak

I was happy when I switched to a phone that had a headphone jack many years ago.

People have no idea how annoying it can be without one.

Back in my day, we had mini USB ports on smartphones. If you forgot the adapter, you're fucked unless you had bluetooth headphones, which are still expensive and have shitty audio.

I remember my Nokia and having to use that damn Pop port adapter for my N75. I was happy to have the N97 mini with a headphone jack.

I wonder how much longer it will be until anything concrete comes out about he rumored Surface Phones. If Rubino/Windows Central suggested back in April that they may arrive in Early 2017 I would think we'd start hearing some pipeline talk about it by now.

NeOak

I wonder how much longer it will be until anything concrete comes out about he rumored Surface Phones. If Rubino/Windows Central suggested back in April that they may arrive in Early 2017 I would think we'd start hearing some pipeline talk about it by now.
They kept the Surfacebook under wraps with no problem. Should be the same until FCC filings or something.

maeh2k

Don't hold your breath.

"But new devices like the expected Surface Book 2 and Surface Pro 5 aren't likely to get their big reveals until spring 2017. Surface Phone, if it does materialize, could be considerably later, sources say." --- Mary Jo Foley a couple of days ago

Paganmoon

Don't hold your breath.

"But new devices like the expected Surface Book 2 and Surface Pro 5 aren't likely to get their big reveals until spring 2017. Surface Phone, if it does materialize, could be considerably later, sources say." --- Mary Jo Foley a couple of days ago

So they learned nothing from not releasing a new high-end Windows Phone for a year and half, so they're going for 2 years between high end devices?

Guess the idea could be, kill Lumia and Windows Mobile completely, so you can get a "fresh" start with the Surface Phone?

Don't hold your breath.

I sure hope, she's wrong. I need the surface phone. Still don't see myself on any other os at the moment, but the current windows phones are not for me either.

So they learned nothing from not releasing a new high-end Windows Phone for a year and half, so they're going for 2 years between high end devices?

Guess the idea could be, kill Lumia and Windows Mobile completely, so you can get a "fresh" start with the Surface Phone?
That would be the fourth time they try to kill their current market. Fuck them, if true.

Intel killing off their mobile chips probably pushed back the Surface Phone. It was likely to be pushed as the first phone to be x86 compatible.

Still an awful idea when I think about it as nobody cares about x86 compatibility now. The masses have moved on to mobile apps and moved on from traditional PCs to smartphones.

Intel killing off their mobile chips probably pushed back the Surface Phone. It was likely to be pushed as the first phone to be x86 compatible.

Still an awful idea when I think about it as nobody cares about x86 compatibility now. The masses have moved on to mobile apps and moved on from traditional PCs to smartphones.

Would that really be it? x86 phones seemed like just as much of an awful idea a few years as it does today.

clav

http://arstechnica.com/business/2016/09/microsoft-lumia-surface-phone-dead/

RIP Lumia.

Speculation says event may reveal Surface Phone next month due to a MS engineer's deleted tweets.

Would that really be it? x86 phones seemed like just as much of an awful idea a few years as it does today.

Only a rumor based on conjecture. Seems possible.

People are laughing at the latest iPhone using Intel XMM modems, which are not as good as Qualcomm's found in the CDMA variants.

NeOak

Only a rumor based on conjecture. Seems possible.

People are laughing at the latest iPhone using Intel XMM modems, which are not as good as Qualcomm's found in the CDMA variants.
Got a source on a comparison and testing? I'd like to see how they compare.

clav

Got a source on a comparison and testing? I'd like to see how they compare.

Spec wise, Qualcomm claims faster speeds than the XMM and is a far more advanced chip (14nm vs. 28 nm process).

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/05/25/qualcomm-x12-lte-modem-iphone-7/

As of today, no one knows what the Intel modem is. However, people do know it looks like a cost cutting move from Apple and an attempt to get away from Qualcomm.

I think Intel will catch up in time, but that depends how much Intel is willing to improve over its purchased Infineon design. Remember for the OG Xbox, MS had a hard time negotiating with pricing. Perhaps Intel was willing to bend its pricing model more for Apple in order to stay relevant in the mobile networking space.

I predict we're going to see a plethora of battery life articles when iPhone 7 launches.

Current build reset.

Thanks, good to know. Going to try to reset my 1520, but I think I have some kind of hardware issue. Regularly shuts down and won't hold a start up afterwards unless it's on the charger.

The timing is great of course, phone just dies on me multiple times a day, Nexus Pixel devices are still a few weeks from being announced, and I have a trip coming up where I won't have frequent access to a charger.

So, the reset took my 1520 back to 8.1 levels of incredible lack of battery drain, but it didn't fix the phone dying at random. Suspected it was some sort of a hardware failure and the reset wouldn't fix it, but thought it was worth a shot. Oh well, Nexus 6P will arrive tomorrow. Any pro tips from those of you that have done the WP to Android move? I see Thurrott has a "Android for the Windows Guy" series that I assume is a good resource?

ty_hot

My Lumia 650 is running great with the latest releases. Fast, good battery life. Even shit apps (facebook, messenger, WhatsApp, Skype) are now usable. Only complain in the Maps that is a piece of shit. I live in Barcelona and this shit cant even show me night buses routes, and during the day it only shows train/metro or buses (never mixed like bud then metro). Fucking garbage.

Anyway, happy as it is.

Come up with an interesting idea
Don't capitalize on it, release it only in the US
Put out a product with questionable build quality
???
Get disbanded

Top Bottom