• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Absolutely bonkers. Apple doubles down in health and fitness and MS shuts their fitness band and probably their health initiatives.

I know tech moves quickly but wow. I need to offload my 950 and band 2 before their value craters even further. I brought my Lumia on my Utah trip just for its camera, what a shame.

clav

Those products didn't sell well, so shutting down is not really an absurd decision.

Sucks for the people involved and the users who recognized what was special about those products.

NeOak

Wait.... this wasn't a joke post?

Apple fans really are living in a bubble, because to suggest that the difference is "night and day" is laughable.

You know smartphones didn't come in colors until the 5c, right?

lol i barely could write that without misspelling while laughing

The biggest complain I've heard from Thurrott is that the Band generated so much data, but there wasn't a lot to do with it or not a good way to manage it.

hadareud

The Translator
Well it's true. MS Health doesn't give you nearly enough tools to manage the data or to put it into context.

I'm very disappointed that Band is seemingly dead. I love mine and I'd have loved one with improved battery life, improved HR sensor etc.

Zeknurn

The biggest complain I've heard from Thurrott is that the Band generated so much data, but there wasn't a lot to do with it or not a good way to manage it.

I got a Band and it's true. With all the data it collects it should be more proactive like suggesting fitness routines and activities. Whoever does this well is going to rule the market.

hadareud

The Translator
Listening to Foley, it's not quite certain that the Band team has been dissolved and not just the team trying to get W10 running on it.

Still hoping that they're working on a successor or that the technology will be used in a different device, maybe a Surface branded one.

Milchjon

Wait.... this wasn't a joke post?

Apple fans really are living in a bubble, because to suggest that the difference is "night and day" is laughable.

Uh, I have never owned an Apple product except an iPod Touch like 8 years ago.

I posted this in the WP thread because I've been a WP fanboy since WP7. ;-)

You know why I loved WP? Because looks matter a lot to me. I chose a comparatively limited OS over others for years solely because I preferred the aesthetics.

So yeah, the antenna lines aren't a minor thing to me. They were a dealbreaker in the 6/6s era. Now they're hidden, and I can accept or even like the design. Which means it's night and day to me.

I got a Band and it's true. With all the data it collects it should be more proactive like suggesting fitness routines and activities. Whoever does this well is going to rule the market.

I think one of the examples Paul mentioned was the sleep monitoring. It tells you that you slept bad that night, but not why and what you could do to fix it. That's not really helpful.

Listening to Foley, it's not quite certain that the Band team has been dissolved and not just the team trying to get W10 running on it.

Still hoping that they're working on a successor or that the technology will be used in a different device, maybe a Surface branded one.

I have yet to listen to the episode. But I thought Windows 10 for IoT Edition Series was meant for these scenarios. While it's not IoT in that sense, I thought it was made for small sensor devices as well. I wonder what the issue is there.

dLMN8R

I mean, it's simply undeniable that both Bands had severe quality issues, and weren't exactly fashionable.

Even if the first Apple Watch was lacking functionality and features compared to the Band, it certainly isn't lacking now.

And even if the Apple Watch is a "failure" according to tech pundits, it's still sold millions and is by far the most successful wearable out there while Fitbit is struggling to make a profit.

I have no idea what Microsoft's future plans for wearables are, and that's not out of the ordinary - I knew nothing about the Band 1 or Band 2 until they were announced publicly despite working for Microsoft - but I wouldn't be surprised or even really that sad if there's no Band 3.

frontieruk

I mean, it's simply undeniable that both Bands had severe quality issues, and weren't exactly fashionable.

Even if the first Apple Watch was lacking functionality and features compared to the Band, it certainly isn't lacking now.

And even if the Apple Watch is a "failure" according to tech pundits, it's still sold millions and is by far the most successful wearable out there while Fitbit is struggling to make a profit.

I have no idea what Microsoft's future plans for wearables are, and that's not out of the ordinary - I knew nothing about the Band 1 or Band 2 until they were announced publicly despite working for Microsoft - but I wouldn't be surprised or even really that sad if there's no Band 3.

Yet having used all the wearable eco systems the MS one provided the best data analysis, when my band 1 died I found it so hard going back to Garmin :(

Sadly, the app is a joke. They have this cool web dashboard that aggregates data in several different ways, lets you see trends over different periods of time well, and has some insights stuff.

Almost none of it is in the app.

frontieruk

Sadly, the app is a joke. They have this cool web dashboard that aggregates data in several different ways, lets you see trends over different periods of time well, and has some insights stuff.

Almost none of it is in the app.

The app is built for fitbit users, honestly so little useful data is gathered by fitbit :(

Zeknurn

I think one of the examples Paul mentioned was the sleep monitoring. It tells you that you slept bad that night, but not why and what you could do to fix it. That's not really helpful.

Yup. I imagine a lot of the limitations are due to regulations in the US because it falls under medical advice. Apple and Fitbit are going to have the fight them too when they want to evolve the product category.

I do hope they decide to make a Band 3 after all or I'll have to pick up a Band 2 before they disappear.

Raide

Go an update which Borked my Sim card, so had to Hard Reset. First Hard Reset I have had to do on my Phone using Windows 10.

clav

Looks like RS2 is when integration between mobile + desktop is complete on Windows.

At least Skype UWP is now usable in RS1 compared to TH2.

Treo360

What phones and which update? I'm on 14393.198 using a 950xl. No problems here. Guess I will try and put a pin on and see if I have that problem. Sim works fine.

Milchjon

Van, I think you mentioned the iPhone being the more natural option for someone in the MS ecosystem?

Cause the S7 apparently still has a better camera, better water resistance, and it would save me almost $300 compared to the cheapest iPhone 7... And that's not even counting the fact that it has expandable storage.

Also, I'm still surprised by the quality of the pics my 640 can take in good conditions.

Van, I think you mentioned the iPhone being the more natural option for someone in the MS ecosystem?

Cause the S7 apparently still has a better camera, better water resistance, and it would save me almost $300 compared to the cheapest iPhone 7... And that's not even counting the fact that it has expandable storage.

Also, I'm still surprised by the quality of the pics my 640 can take in good conditions.

It's a good phone, camera is good, battery is decent and Microsoft apps run on it, even when some of them come out later.

Van has had a horrible experience with Samsung phones, because they seem to turn into horrible piles of garbage over time, which sucks.

BTW Jon, Saturn is selling the S7 for 499 again.

Milchjon

It's a good phone, camera is good, battery is decent and Microsoft apps run on it, even when some of them come out later.

Brot, help.

I just want my cyan 920 back and the hope that all things will work out great with WP :-(

2012 was a better time.

Also, someone explain that bokeh hullaballoo to me. Cause if it's simply that focus stuff - My 920 took great pics with sharp details close and blurry distances...

8fD4x1R.jpg

250 bucks in 2013....

Brot, help.

I just want my cyan 920 back and the hope that all things will work out great with WP :-(

2012 was a better time.

Also, someone explain that bokeh hullaballoo to me. Cause if it's simply that focus stuff - My 920 took great pics with sharp details close and blurry distances...

I got you, old friend.

http://www.saturn.de/de/product/_samsung-galaxy-s7-2103689.html

And yes, the 920 was amazing for its time. QA issues aside. Hell, 32GB base storage in 2012.

The S7 has basically everything I love from the 920. Wireless charging, always on display and while it still misses double-spaced to wake, it has an accessibility feature that lets you turn on the display by hovering your hand over the display. That's good enough for me. I'm not a camera guy, but I like that it's really fast.

For the bokeh stuff in the iPhone, it's the same shit, but in a much higher quality and a lot faster, too. That said, the 920 came out 4 years ago, so it should be expected.

Are you actually on an S7 yourself these days?
I am. I've been using it for a month now and it works well for me. But I came from 2 years with a Nexus 5, so it's not like I was unfamiliar with Android before. I basically switched when Google showed off Material Design with 5.0 for the first time.

E: My biggest gripe is the keyboard. I've been using SwiftKey for all this time and I love that it handles multiple languages and is very context aware. For example, when I write "Milc" it suggests your username for auto-completion, because it's in the text field I'm writing in. I love that. I also learns over time very well, or it did for me. It also crowd-sources its library for

That said, the feeling is just not as good as the Windows Phone keyboard.

clav

Most important question is for Milch: What carrier are you using for S7?

If you're buying it on a carrier that seldom updates, forget it and buy the iPhone or look into a Nexus phone.

Some (T-Mobile) users are complaining that they have yet to get an update that fixes a battery drain bug.

AT&T and Sprint have been doing OK surprisingly.

Not sure about Verizon.

Milchjon

I am. I've been using it for a month now and it works well for me. But I came from 2 years with a Nexus 5, so it's not like I was unfamiliar with Android before. I basically switched when Google showed off Material Design with 5.0 for the first time.

Yeah, I knew that back story, just not the switch to the S7. Good to know though, if it's good enough for you visually, I should be okay.

Most important question is for Milch: What carrier are you using for S7?

If you're buying it on a carrier that seldom updates, forget it and buy the iPhone or look into a Nexus phone.

Some (T-Mobile) users are complaining that they have yet to get an update that fixes a battery drain bug.

AT&T and Sprint have been doing OK surprisingly.

Not sure about Verizon.

I'm in Germany. Would probably just buy it off Amazon or some other retailer, so I guess it's all up to Samsung?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
How expensive is the HTC One where you live? I'd take that over an s7.

IPhone would be my recommendation if you get a deal. Otherwise htc one. Otherwise the s7. I'm just going to warn you that you will love the heck out of the s7 and one day you will wake up and the battery will drain for no reason and you will get mad about not getting the nougat update and then you will get mad when you do get it and it makes your phone worse. And then your phone will perform poorly and you won't know why. This will all happen within your first year of owning it.

frontieruk

IPhone would be my recommendation if you get a deal. Otherwise htc one. Otherwise the s7. I'm just going to warn you that you will love the heck out of the s7 and one day you will wake up and the battery will drain for no reason and you will get mad about not getting the nougat update and then you will get mad when you do get it and it makes your phone worse. And then your phone will perform poorly and you won't know why. This will all happen within your first year of owning it.

Thus the circle of Samsung is complete

Hell, I'm using a Nexus 6p and I don't have the nougat update because reasons

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'm not surprised. And now that the at&t version has the firmware update, the camera on this thing is insane. Just incredible.

Edit: I took the phone without a sim as my camera on my work trip to Utah and took some amazing shots. Everyone was impressed and told me to send them the pictures I took.

dLMN8R

Wow that's surprising.

My wife still loves her 950 especially because the camera is so much better than my 6S Plus. I figured the 7 with dual cameras would finally beat the 950 but I guess not.

Wow that's surprising.

My wife still loves her 950 especially because the camera is so much better than my 6S Plus. I figured the 7 with dual cameras would finally beat the 950 but I guess not.
My post compared the regular 7. The follow up post compared the 7+ and the iPhone won.

Top Bottom