• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

JaggedSac

Now before Lumia 950 fans howl in protest, I want to note that I still suspect the 950 is the best smartphone camera in the world, over all lighting conditions and use cases - it's just that zooming is its Achilles heel.

Nice.

fast_taker

Why would you want Windows 10 on a 512 MB RAM device?

I thought MS stopped supporting those devices after 10586?

indeed Microsoft stopper supporting 512MB devices and some 1GB devices (Lumia 920 for example) but...there is a way to get latest Windows 10 build (10.0.14393.189) and latest slow/fast insider builds on such devices. The funny thing is that after I updated my unsupported lumia 920 to 10.0.14393.189 the performance has been improved quite a lot compared to TH2 build. I think that my devices runs better than ever. Battery life has been improved, everything seems to run faster and more...smooth!!

Tomcat

indeed Microsoft stopper supporting 512MB devices and some 1GB devices (Lumia 920 for example) but...there is a way to get latest Windows 10 build (10.0.14393.189) and latest slow/fast insider builds on such devices. The funny thing is that after I updated my unsupported lumia 920 to 10.0.14393.189 the performance has been improved quite a lot compared to TH2 build. I think that my devices runs better than ever. Battery life has been improved, everything seems to run faster and more...smooth!!

is there a guide on how to upgrade 920 to au update?

Microsoft discontinues the HealthVault app (not the Band app, formerly "Health"), tells its users to use the browser.

krrMaVm.jpg

Makes me wonder which one has more users. Windows Phone or HealthVault?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
There is no better signal that the platform is done. No excuse for MS to abandon the apps on the platform. And if they are planning a uwp, they should say so.

are you kidding me?

Chris began working for Apple in July, but didn't tell anyone at The Verge that he'd taken a new job until we discovered and verified his dual-employment in early September. Chris continued actively working at The Verge in July, but was not in contact with us through most of August and into September. During that period, in the dark and concerned for Chris, we made every effort to contact him and to offer him help if needed. We ultimately terminated his employment at The Verge and Vox Media the same day we verified that he was employed at Apple.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
are you kidding me?

This is a joke. Any content he wrote in July should be taken off the site. Period. Heck, he clearly was applying at Apple before then, I'd just wipe his entire work for this year off the site. How can you say he was an Apple employee writing an article for the Verge yet conclude that the stuff he wrote is fine?

This is a joke. Any content he wrote in July should be taken off the site. Period. Heck, he clearly was applying at Apple before then, I'd just wipe his entire work for this year off the site. How can you say he was an Apple employee writing an article for the Verge yet conclude that the stuff he wrote is fine?
Worth noting that while they say he worked throughout July his last article was posted July 1st.
http://www.theverge.com/users/ChrisZiegler/posts

Vyer

Real talk, is anybody actually surprised by the Verge thing?

Surprised by what?

Media members get jobs in the industry in tech and games all the time. Not too mention he seemed focused on the auto industry with his work, so there appeared to be some relation there.

But apparently disappearing and no contact with the job you're about to leave? Yeah, that should be a little surprising. Hell the dude might actually be missing at this point.

JaggedSac

Skype SMS stuff seems ok. Pulled in all my current messages. Only thing is, I don't see texts in the action center so I have to use the tile to get to them. The bot crap is in there too, haven't messed with them though.

Paganmoon

Latest release preview (from a week or so back) has bugged my notifications out so badly. E-mails won't always show in notification center. Message icons on lock screen and messaging hub don't clear after reading a message, going into messaging hub, it always starts midway down the list, and I have to scroll up to get to the latest message. Replying to texts from notification center bugs the keyboard out and it randomly disappears after a few words, and can't get it back unless I swipe away the notification center and swipe it back.

I mean, this is the same build as the public release. What in the hell Microsoft?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
You know, something I've been missing about Windows Phone since I switched to Android is Skype. Or more precisely, how much better the WP version of it is. I've been using it a lot lately and lots of calls get missed (the phone never actually "rings"), not to mention more than significant delays.

:(

Treo360

You know, something I've been missing about Windows Phone since I switched to Android is Skype. Or more precisely, how much better the WP version of it is. I've been using it a lot lately and lots of calls get missed (the phone never actually "rings"), not to mention more than significant delays.

:(

I use skype as my primary phone, coupled with tmo's $30 plan, I only pay 37.00 a month (Skype unlimited) I also bought My own Skype number for $40 for the year... Which when I do the math I pay in total $40 a month for 5 gigs of lte service, unlimited calls, through skype, and 100 minutes through tmo if needed. I just wished they never took out the integration from messaging app. Good thing they are bringing it back.

MCD

Whatsapp is everything with my Android. Free calls, free msgs. Juat need video calls and Skype will be dead forever.

Whatsapp is everything with my Android. Free calls, free msgs. Juat need video calls and Skype will be dead forever.
Aren't video calls coming soon?

Still, it's so inferior to Telegram. Whenever they add a new feature, like quotes or @replies, I'm like "yeah, Telegram already had that". The integrated image search, gif and giphy support are great, too. Of course you're stuck to whatever your friends and family are using. I could only get a couple of friends to switch. But it's much more fun.

Skype is only a work thing. I know like 5 people who use it for private use.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'm getting dragged into the imessage ghetto kicking and screaming by my wife and many of my co workers. Ugh.

And I also miss how seamless Skype worked on my Lumia.

frontieruk

I'm getting dragged into the imessage ghetto kicking and screaming by my wife and many of my co workers. Ugh.

And I also miss how seamless Skype worked on my Lumia.

I committed the cardinal sin and ordered an iphone 7, how's life with it? I just couldn't survive with the android, and Google's plans for Allo and Duo just seemed stupid seeing as android users generally had a google account so they should of done a better job at promoting what that did rather than recreate skype and what'sapp for a single platform.

I committed the cardinal sin and ordered an iphone 7, how's life with it? I just couldn't survive with the android, and Google's plans for Allo and Duo just seemed stupid seeing as android users generally had a google account so they should of done a better job at promoting what that did rather than recreate skype and what'sapp for a single platform.
Google now is also way more annoying than Cortana.

I disabled Google Now a long time ago. The only useful thing it did for me was showing me the weather and a widget on the home screen works just as well.

Aside from the weather, it kept spamming me with useless articles from the Verge of all places, simply because I mentioned tech as one of my interests. Cortana offers much better control and shows me a lot more interesting articles. The performance isn't great, though.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

Ios 10 is.......delightful. I'm enjoying my experience here. Wish I had Cortana but Siri has gotten a lot better. Home screen still sucks. The removal of the headphone jack has bothered me more than it probably should have so I haven't bought the 7 but with all the issues on the Android side I'll probably relent.

JaggedSac

Latest release preview (from a week or so back) has bugged my notifications out so badly. E-mails won't always show in notification center. Message icons on lock screen and messaging hub don't clear after reading a message, going into messaging hub, it always starts midway down the list, and I have to scroll up to get to the latest message. Replying to texts from notification center bugs the keyboard out and it randomly disappears after a few words, and can't get it back unless I swipe away the notification center and swipe it back.

I mean, this is the same build as the public release. What in the hell Microsoft?

Haven't had those problems.

It isn't necessarily the same build that would go out to public. Just the branch of code that will eventually be released.

Top Bottom