• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

clav

I wonder if anyone were brave enough to install Windows 10 on a 512 MB device.

Found a method to update the popular Lumia 520 to the last Windows 8.1 build (GDR2).

Paganmoon

Haven't had those problems.

It isn't necessarily the same build that would go out to public. Just the branch of code that will eventually be released.

Release preview and public is on the same build right now though. I have to soft reset every other day to get things working again. Getting quite annoying.

derFeef

So I am getting random crashes now on my 950 all of a sudden.
I think it's finally time to opt out of the preview program and do a hard reset.

n64coder

Anyone have a recommendation on authenticator apps? The recent thread on Google 2FA made me realize that it would be nice to have a cloud based authenticator app. I downloaded a few from the store and currently trying Authenticator for Windows. It has the ability to run on my phone and desktop with onedrive key synchronization.

Requires editing the registry with an update program on a SD card.

Probably won't touch 10 considering that this thread is dead.

Hey, hey, hey! This is the best mobile community on GAF!

Anyone have a recommendation on authenticator apps? The recent thread on Google 2FA made me realize that it would be nice to have a cloud based authenticator app. I downloaded a few from the store and currently trying Authenticator for Windows. It has the ability to run on my phone and desktop with onedrive key synchronization.

Can't you just use Microsoft's authenticator app? You can even approve the codes in the notification center, without opening the app.

n64coder

Can't you just use Microsoft's authenticator app? You can even approve the codes in the notification center, without opening the app.

I think this app is mobile only. I want something that is also available on the desktop.

EDIT: I've been using the Microsoft's app all along but am switching to another one because I want mobile/desktop integration.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I think this app is mobile only. I want something that is also available on the desktop.

EDIT: I've been using the Microsoft's app all along but am switching to another one because I want mobile/desktop integration.

I don't understand. You mean like a win 10 app? Doesn't that sort of defeat the purpose of 2fa? I was reading that other thread and trying to figure out the best way to get into my accounts if I lost my phone as well. Seems like a nightmare

n64coder

I don't understand. You mean like a win 10 app?

Yes, that's correct.

Doesn't that sort of defeat the purpose of 2fa? I was reading that other thread and trying to figure out the best way to get into my accounts if I lost my phone as well. Seems like a nightmare

I don't think it defeats it assuming that your computer is secure. I don't plan to have the program installed everywhere. Just on my home server and laptop that's secured by my Windows credentials.

Treo360

So I am getting random crashes now on my 950 all of a sudden.
I think it's finally time to opt out of the preview program and do a hard reset.

This was me last week. Wake from sleep taking seconds (up to 8)work, to random hardware crashes, to me not being able to end calls (because the screen was off. Apps failing to install in a timely manner (I.e. Hours to install) I just gave up, hooked my phone to my surface and restarted from scratch.

Tempted to go preview if only for the revamped skype integration. However, I'm not that tempted.

NeOak

Best advice regarding W10 on phone: Stay clear of insider.

It isn't like WP8 where the kernel was stable. W10 is a WIP all the time, and mobile doesn't get high priority unlike the time under Balmer.

derFeef

This was me last week. Wake from sleep taking seconds (up to 8)work, to random hardware crashes, to me not being able to end calls (because the screen was off. Apps failing to install in a timely manner (I.e. Hours to install) I just gave up, hooked my phone to my surface and restarted from scratch.

Tempted to go preview if only for the revamped skype integration. However, I'm not that tempted.

Best advice regarding W10 on phone: Stay clear of insider.

It isn't like WP8 where the kernel was stable. W10 is a WIP all the time, and mobile doesn't get high priority unlike the time under Balmer.

How can I get back to the latest stable build?

derFeef

Just switch to release preview from Windows Insider.

I'm in the slow ring and I've found it to be pretty stable so that's another option if you're in the fast ring now.

Yeah, release preview has been perfectly fine for me.

I don't have such an option?
Only Slow or Fast. Or opt out completely.

I kinda want to have the latest stable "official" release - I guess the only way to do this is via the recovery tool and then update again to the latest build?

NeOak

I kinda want to have the latest stable "official" release - I guess the only way to do this is via the recovery tool and then update again to the latest build?
Only Lumias have release iirc.

And yeah, sadly. You'll have to do that.

joshschw

Yes, you clearly are on the Fast Ring. It's exactly that, the fast ring, so don't expect it to be stable. If you want to revert to older builds you need to re-flash via the WDRT.

If you can't handle bugs and glitches don't be in the Insider Program. it's part of the risk. Same builds may have crippling bugs pop up.

(okay, the release ones also might LOL, but it's less likely)

derFeef

I am/was oaky with that, that's why I opted in and stayed in until now. It's just progressively getting worse now, that is all.

JaggedSac

maeh2k

I'm glad they are investing more into Continuum. It's the most forward-looking and important feature of Windows Phone. But it's a long way off from becoming a viable alternative to PCs in the office.

So far, the usage numbers of Continuum are surely abysmal. Even the few people who have Continuum-capable devices don't have the docks or aren't even aware of the feature.

lol, well, there also needs to be universal apps besides Office to make it actually useful.

There are rumors of either Rs2 or 3 having some sort of x86 on arm (sounded like how they got BC on xbone to work, so it shouldn't degrate the cpu performance) for centennial apps.

If so, it would be really useful :p

JaggedSac

There are rumors of either Rs2 or 3 having some sort of x86 on arm (sounded like how they got BC on xbone to work, so it shouldn't degrate the cpu performance) for centennial apps.

If so, it would be really useful :p

Wow, that would be awesome. Thought the x86 dream was dead when Intel dropped their mobile plans. That would make things very interesting.

Tomcat

I haven't used 6tag in a long time. Instagram has been great for me.

its the best fb app by miles but still has the annoying like all of them that touch stops working. You need a soft reset to fix that. And don't have live tile with latest picture like 6tag does.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
its the best fb app by miles but still has the annoying like all of them that touch stops working. You need a soft reset to fix that. And don't have live tile with latest picture like 6tag does.

Yeah the freeze can be annoying. I like have the tile not Live in this case. I turned that off when I had 6tag.

Treo360

Well against good advice on this thread, I went back to insider. Because I use skype as much as I do, I needed the integration. So far not bad, sure the ui needs work, but it's been seamless so far, and the build is stable at the moment. Think I'm going to freeze it here.

Broman1978

Is Windows Phone "Dead" or not for real? In Sweden I can buy the Lumia 950 now for about the same price as the Moto G4 Plus. I want to buy the Lumia but am afraid that the app support and Microsoft support etc will soon be non existed for the platform.

ty_hot

Is Windows Phone "Dead" or not for real? In Sweden I can buy the Lumia 950 now for about the same price as the Moto G4 Plus. I want to buy the Lumia but am afraid that the app support and Microsoft support etc will soon be non existed for the platform.
I saw today the 950 and 950xl really cheap at fnac... I imagined the same, they are 2 awesome phones, super cheap... But the app support is sad. :( I have a 640, even though it does most of what I need, I wouldn't recommend it because every now and then there is an app I want and its just not available. nothing reaaaally important, but its annoying... I cant have discounts in my local Mc Donald's using the app, or use mostly any app that is not famous worldwide.

The only apps I have are Facebook (its finally decent), WhatsApp, Spotify (bad app) and twitter. Surprisingly my bank has a WP app (Sabadell) and bicing also has an app to locate bicycles, but there are many apps that just don't exist.

No Pokemon Go also :(

And I hate Microsoft for dropping Here Maps, that app was fantastic, even better than google maps. Now I have this shirt maps app that cant even show night buses, or suggest bus-metro trips most of the time. Meh.

Top Bottom