• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Bullza2o

920 user here, and the way things are going for WP (no high end flagship) I will most likely switch to a Nexus or iPhone (but I hear it has 1GB RAM, so nope).

At least we AT&T 920 users got Cyan today.

Someone hinted at a 1080p version of the 830 as well as rumors of higher megapixel camera versions of the 830. I think more announcements are coming but from the carriers which may include carrier exclusive features.

Paganmoon

Someone hinted at a 1080p version of the 830 as well as rumors of higher megapixel camera versions of the 830. I think more announcements are coming but from the carriers which may include carrier exclusive features.

Wouldn't be an 830 then though, would it?

Think there's any chance now that MS owns Nokia that they could start delivering the firmware through the dev preview as well as the OS updates?

Cortana always listening is a pretty significant new feature, it'd be nice to not have to wait forever for it.

hwalker84

Think there's any chance now that MS owns Nokia that they could start delivering the firmware through the dev preview as well as the OS updates?

Cortana always listening is a pretty significant new feature, it'd be nice to not have to wait forever for it.

Even though we opted in I think carriers would be super pissed. Apple is able to get away with it because of the position they're in.

Sooo, just setting up this 930 and WhatsApp refuses to connect to let me verify. Every other app works fine and I'm connected on WiFi / 4G. Any ideas?

Edit: Soft reset done it.

Razdek

Banned
What's funny is that HTC announced the Desire 820 and it has better specs than the Lumia 830 and they're like "yeah, here's a mid range phone" and not trying to play it up like "the first affordable flagship" phone.

Magni

What's funny is that HTC announced the Desire 820 and it has better specs than the Lumia 830 and they're like "yeah, here's a mid range phone" and not trying to play it up like "the first affordable flagship" phone.

The camera is why they're calling it an "affordable flagship"

JaggedSac

Tapiozona

Banned
Does anyone else have a problem with pinning the custom NeoGaf icon on their window's phone? I have a 1520 on 8.1 and first it takes forever for the page with the image to even show up. When it finally does and I try to pin it, it just says "Pinning to homescreen" for a minute then fails.

Any ideas? I really liked that custom icon..

Never mind, I just hit the home button while it was actively pinning and it was there even though it said it failed multiple times.

joshschw

The 920/1020 have a higher end GPU, Adreno 225 vs Adreno 305

I don't see anything on Nokia.com, but Qualcomm's site says the S400 series can have up to a Adreno 306 GPU, and since this is a quad core S400 I'd assume that's what the 830 has.

hankster

...for real this time. WP in the US is gonna crash hard...

All the good software updates are US only (at least to start), now all the good phones coming out are not for the US. Boy that is a head scratcher there...

NeOak

So my gimped non-Qi Lumia 1520 32 GB, AT&T branded, is now a unicorn phone. You can't buy it anymore, and apparently they removed it like a month ago from the website.

You can only get the gimped 16GB version.

I've been thinking of giving a WP a try.
Considering maybe a Lumia, reflecting on my smartphone usage I end up just browsing the internet for the most part. A snappy system with a decent display is probably sufficient for me. Apparently the Lumias tend to have the first part down at least.

Holy wow! Finally got 8.1 to install on my 920 and this browser is fast. I don't know how I put up with it before. How much time must I have wasted waiting?

Some things are definitely slower than before, unfortunately. Swiping to type is more mentally exhausting than I thought though.

NeOak

I've been thinking of giving a WP a try.
Considering maybe a Lumia, reflecting on my smartphone usage I end up just browsing the internet for the most part. A snappy system with a decent display is probably sufficient for me. Apparently the Lumias tend to have the first part down at least.

Get the 635 if you can. Canada is the only place more hosed than the US in terms of getting decent phones.

The 1520.3 is an unlocked option.

Vyer

Does anyone else have a problem with pinning the custom NeoGaf icon on their window's phone? I have a 1520 on 8.1 and first it takes forever for the page with the image to even show up. When it finally does and I try to pin it, it just says "Pinning to homescreen" for a minute then fails.

Any ideas? I really liked that custom icon..

Never mind, I just hit the home button while it was actively pinning and it was there even though it said it failed multiple times.

You got further than I did. I never could get it to pin on my 520. I'd have to reboot the phone every time.

hadareud

The Translator
While I love glance, it's not really enough to make the 930 "suck".

I know you were down on that phone from the beginning, but other than glance it's a fantastic phone as far as I can tell. Having held it, it's not bulky, it's really nice to hold. Decent camera, decent hardware, Qi included, nice high quality screen.

I'm gonna get one, aren't I.

I know you were down on that phone from the beginning, but other than glance it's a fantastic phone as far as I can tell. Having held it, it's not bulky, it's really nice to hold. Decent camera, decent hardware, Qi included, nice high quality screen.

I've only had it for a number of hours but I'm finding it hard to fault other than the lack of glance. I love that feature but I'll live without it. In truth, the only time I foresee really missing it is in the morning when I can glance over and see the time. I liked being able to pull the phone out of my pocket and quickly check notifications, but it's next to no extra hassle to push the power button and check the lock screen. I'm holding the phone anyway.

I've not been keeping up to date. Why was it excluded anyway?

hadareud

The Translator
Something to do with the OLED screen not supporting screen memory, so it would have basically been a big battery drain to include it.

kharma45

It wasn't far off being my next phone but I wish it had Glance, MicroSD and a bigger battery. The rest is great.

Hoped they might've updated the 930 to the 801 too.

hadareud

The Translator
Yeah, the missing SD card slot is a bit of a let down, but unfortunately it's just what manufacturers do on their flagships. Well, most of them anyway.

kharma45

Yeah, the missing SD card slot is a bit of a let down, but unfortunately it's just what manufacturers do on their flagships. Well, most of them anyway.

It has started to trend back to MicroSD again I feel. LG, Sony, HTC and Samsung all have them in their flagship phones.

kharma45

I had hoped with the 1520 having it the 930 would. 1020 successor better have it when it arrives, would be criminal not to.

hadareud

The Translator
Yeah, especially with the large image files. I've had to remove the raws from my phone several times to keep storage down, and that shouldn't be the case especially since you want to be able to keep playing and zooming into the pictures.

And of course I only have a fraction of my music on the phone because there's not enough storage.

It would be mental not to have it, but if the 1030 is based on the 930 the same way the 1020 was based on the 920 (which is what I'm suspecting), the chances are that that's exactly what will happen.

kazinova

So, I guess I need to start looking around for a cheap 1520. Can I get one that will work with ATT or T-mobile in the US with Qi? Or is that impossible?

hwalker84

After seeing the features of Lumia Denim I cannot see myself getting the HTC M8 for windows now. Who knows when if ever the M8 will have a firmware update making Cortana always on. I'm so screwed getting a new devices this year..... :(

PG2G

I need some more product line leaks before November, I don't have enough information to make any decisions :/

I cant believe they would take glance out of a phone. It is such a huge feature for me. I cant imagine using a phone that doesnt have it.

is it really that cool? i never had glance and i never missed it.

when i slide my phone out of the case, i just automatically press the power button. hm.

when i slide my phone out of the case, i just automatically press the power button. hm.

I find it super useful. If I wake up during the night and want to know if it is time to feed my daughter yet I can just look at the phone without unlocking the screen. I also like how it was all the info about missed texts and voice mails and emails right there. I would rather not have to be constantly unlocking my phone to check that stuff.

It's kinda like wireless charging, or voice command on Xbox One, when it's not there you really miss it. My wife loves glance on her 1020 probably one of her favorite feature a longboat with wireless charging.

I really miss having wireless charging especially in the car.

JaggedSac

To be honest, if Denim increases my wake up and shot to shot times, then I really have no need for an update from my 1020 at this point. That is really my only issue with this phone. I don't have issues with performance, battery life, or the screen. But, I am really curious as to how much an effect Denim will have on it.

Top Bottom