• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

ElNino

To be honest, if Denim increases my wake up and shot to shot times, then I really have no need for an update from my 1020 at this point. That is really my only issue with this phone. I don't have issues with performance, battery life, or the screen. But, I am really curious as to how much an effect Denim will have on it.
This is pretty much my feeling as well. I will have problem waiting to see what new phones come out next year if Denim will improve the 1020 performance a bit.

n64coder

Saw this article from TechRadar

Microsoft still intends to bring out high-power cameraphones now the deal to purchase Nokia is complete, confirmed Jo Harlow, Corporate Vice President of the Phones Business Unit at Microsoft.
The Pureview brand, which was first shown off by Harlow at MWC 2012, was the first phone to use the powerful 42MP sensor, a tool that has since been brought to Windows Phone on the Lumia 1020.
However, it's been over a year since the 1020 launched, leading some to speculate that Microsoft was more focused on using the Pureview brand to improve lower-end devices.
A clearer view

But Harlow confirmed to TechRadar that the brand was still looking at the dedicated cameraphone space when asked if a phone with the power of the Lumia 1020 could still appear:
"Absolutely – we're not end of the mission in camera technology, or in computational photography.
"We continue to invest in that area to bring the next greatest thing in high end imaging."
While Harlow predictably wouldn't be drawn on a timescale for such a device, its feasible that it could launch before the end of the year, given cameraphones can be seen a better gift in the holiday season, and it would make sense for Microsoft to launch something by November to take advantage of that.

Nero3000

I doubt they will announce and release anymore phones this year.

Next year at MWC though...I guess we might see the 935, 1030 or 1530.

theDeeDubs

Pulled the trigger on an Icon. Well they had to order one for me since they keep none on hand. Apparently the phrase "but I don't want a samsung" takes a couple of repeats to stick lol.

kazinova

By the time the dream becomes reality WP's market share will be zero and we'll all be reluctantly on Android or IOS.

Ick, I fear this may be the case soon.

I'm irrationally angry that nothing has been done to introduce any competition to the market but the people have spoken, Samsung, Apple or GTFO.

I'll keep buying Nokias until they stop offering them.

8.1 is a complete game-changer. Been using Lumia 928 since it came and don't wanna look back. In fact, I wanna get the Icon!

I was surprised at how big of an upgrade the icon was. In feel, it's tremendous. The screen is quite nice, and it feels much more premium.

That being said, it's been out a while and it might be worth it to wait to see if anything nice comes out in the spring. My brother and father just upgraded to the Icon, but they were coming from the iPhone 4S and droidX(?)/htc 8x

MCD

My phone has become a bit more stable now. I dunno whether it was the numerous apps updates or not but I am positive something happened.

Sadly, resuming is still present in apps like WhatsApp.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
After 8.1 I'm not really sure I want to go back to Android. It's so much better looking.

I can't wait to see it. I just broke down and signed up for the dev preview, windows 8.1 is downloading on my phone right now.

After 3 days of the Icon though, it is really nice. I'm glad I decided not to wait. It only came out in February, which means its ancient in technology terms. The screen is really nice and coming from a 4s, the size is substantial. I'm 6'0 and have long fingers, I can't imagine using the 1520 and its 6" screen.

And windows phone OS is so much more different than android or IOS, it certainly doesn't have the "app launcher" feel of IOS. I really hope MS continues supporting Windows Phone and can hire a better marketing department, cause its nice to have an alternative.

Now, off to write hate mail to Verizon...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
While I love glance, it's not really enough to make the 930 "suck".

I know you were down on that phone from the beginning, but other than glance it's a fantastic phone as far as I can tell. Having held it, it's not bulky, it's really nice to hold. Decent camera, decent hardware, Qi included, nice high quality screen.

I'm gonna get one, aren't I.

I thought I'd really miss glance, but at least it still has double-tap to wake, so I can easily check on notifications etc. it's a great phone.

Quiet hours earned its value this week. Was in lots of meetings where I'd normally need to mute my phone (and then inevitably forget to unmute afterwards). But you can set quiet hours to kick when you have a calendar event marked 'busy' and it was really useful.

TylerD

I am also in the boat of waiting and hoping for a new flagship Nokia WP. Just about to dive in to cyan on my 920 and still love the thing. Don't want to go iPhone 6 or Android so I am willing to wait months past my 2 year agreement expiration in Nov.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
I thought I'd really miss glance, but at least it still has double-tap to wake, so I can easily check on notifications etc. it's a great phone.

Quiet hours earned its value this week. Was in lots of meetings where I'd normally need to mute my phone (and then inevitably forget to unmute afterwards). But you can set quiet hours to kick when you have a calendar event marked 'busy' and it was really useful.

Phone was successfully updated to 8.1. I was looking at the quiet hours, and how amazingly simple it is. I essentially left my iPhone on mute all the time, lest I forget to mute it at night or in a meeting. I also like, flip the phone to silence it.

Cortana is awesome too. Also downloaded the live lock screen beta, which is pretty neat. Just wish you could get detailed updates from more than one app on the lock screen, say Calendar and email, instead of just one and then a number notifications for everything else. But over all 8.1 is nice.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Love Cortana. Nice, that I had work function in my calendar and instead of telling me to go home after work she told me to go the work event and gave the directions without me asking.

Those on att can get the Lumia 2520 tablet for only $99 through amazon with a 2 yr contract. If you're on a mobile shared plan that's only $10 more a month for 2 yrs. Great deal on an amazing tablet, I love mine.

maeh2k

My father managed to shatter the screen of his not-very-old 1020. Dropped it without noticing... and then stepped on it. Unsurprisingly the protective flip case didn't help in that case. Doesn't look tooo bad. Still quite usable.

Seeing how he should continue to use it for at least another year, I'm thinking that maybe it would be an option to have the screen replaced. Probably pretty expensive to have it done 'professionally'. How hard is it to replace the screen yourself? On ebay I saw the display for 130 Euros. Is that a normal/reasonable price? Or would you expect the price to go down in the future?

Are HTC 8X owners SOL when it comes to getting Update 1?
It's HTC phone. I don't know why you would expect any kind of support. Beside the poor camera it is also another reason I am not too keen on picking up M8.

The OnePlus will tie me over until when Microsoft put out 1020 successor. I hope it's true and not some lip service. Should we not get leak by now if there is a new phone coming out in couple of months?

Is this a known 'feature'? Double tap quickly with two fingers on the screen right above the hardware buttons. Works best in internet explorer. When you do that the whole interface zooms in. I freaked out a little when it happened on accident, but I quickly found a way to revert it!

maeh2k

Is this a known 'feature'? Double tap quickly with two fingers on the screen right above the hardware buttons. Works best in internet explorer. When you do that the whole interface zooms in. I freaked out a little when it happened on accident, but I quickly found a way to revert it!

It's one of the accessibility features for the visually impaired. Should work throughout the OS.

maeh2k

The following is off-topic, but it speaks to how much The Verge's review scores suck.

The Verge reviewed the Moto 360 (see review) and they gave it an 8.1. As far as Verge scores go, that's pretty high. A product basically needs to sport an Apple logo to get much higher than that. Seem like that would make it the smart watch to get right now, but is it really?

- "Google may technically support round displays with Android Wear, but the 360 provides constant confirmation that this operating system was designed with rectangles in mind. Scrolling through a list will often cut off titles and images; sometimes list items get kicked way down to the bottom of the screen for no apparent reason."

- "A few months in, there’s still really not that much you can do with Android Wear. Whenever I show it to people my demo almost always either ends in ten seconds ("look at all the watchfaces!") or involves me forcing someone to text me so I can respond from my wrist. There’s a heart rate monitor and a pedometer inside the 360, but neither are terribly accurate, and they feel like only a gesture in the direction of how powerful a fitness device a smartwatch could be."

- "This watch just happens to do more than tell time. Until, that is, it doesn’t do anything at all. That happens about 12 hours after I take the watch off its charger, a cool black wireless dock that the 360 slots into sideways. Motorola says the 360’s battery lasts a day, but I haven’t seen it last that long yet. I don’t expect a smartwatch to last weeks or years, but it ought to be able to last a day and a night no matter how much I use it. My watch now dies before my phone does, and that’s unacceptable. I’ve already spent too much time wearing a dead Moto 360, and good-looking a bracelet as it is, that’s not what I’m spending $249 for."

In my opinion that doesn't quite line up with the score. A watch that doesn't even make it through the day? Why the fuck would anyone even consider spending $250 on it? What was Motorola thinking? Android watch OEMs really shouldn't be surprised when Apple swoops in next week and effortlessly nabs the better part of the smart watch market.

"But the Moto 360 is to a sundial as the iPad is to a stone tablet: it’s the same, only completely different. Better." - Now if only the battery lasted as long as the sun is up each day...

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
It's a garbage review for a half-baked product. If it came from a smaller pub I would probably say that they felt the pressure to award it a high score out of fear not to receive further products/embargos from Motorola.

Awful reviews aside, do you guys use any kind of wireless speakers/docks? I'd like to purchase one for my kitchen, but so far they all look either way poor or way expensive.

I know circular screens are hard to do, but the Moto 360 looks like garbage in the close-up shots. Considering the maximum size the text can be, the resolution is atrocious.

On topic; I'm super hyped for the 830. Just waiting for UK price confirmation, probably £299?

royalan

The following is off-topic, but it speaks to how much The Verge's review scores suck.

The Verge reviewed the Moto 360 (see review) and they gave it an 8.1. As far as Verge scores go, that's pretty high. A product basically needs to sport an Apple logo to get much higher than that. Seem like that would make it the smart watch to get right now, but is it really?

- "Google may technically support round displays with Android Wear, but the 360 provides constant confirmation that this operating system was designed with rectangles in mind. Scrolling through a list will often cut off titles and images; sometimes list items get kicked way down to the bottom of the screen for no apparent reason."

- "A few months in, there’s still really not that much you can do with Android Wear. Whenever I show it to people my demo almost always either ends in ten seconds ("look at all the watchfaces!") or involves me forcing someone to text me so I can respond from my wrist. There’s a heart rate monitor and a pedometer inside the 360, but neither are terribly accurate, and they feel like only a gesture in the direction of how powerful a fitness device a smartwatch could be."

- "This watch just happens to do more than tell time. Until, that is, it doesn’t do anything at all. That happens about 12 hours after I take the watch off its charger, a cool black wireless dock that the 360 slots into sideways. Motorola says the 360’s battery lasts a day, but I haven’t seen it last that long yet. I don’t expect a smartwatch to last weeks or years, but it ought to be able to last a day and a night no matter how much I use it. My watch now dies before my phone does, and that’s unacceptable. I’ve already spent too much time wearing a dead Moto 360, and good-looking a bracelet as it is, that’s not what I’m spending $249 for."

In my opinion that doesn't quite line up with the score. A watch that doesn't even make it through the day? Why the fuck would anyone even consider spending $250 on it? What was Motorola thinking? Android watch OEMs really shouldn't be surprised when Apple swoops in next week and effortlessly nabs the better part of the smart watch market.

"But the Moto 360 is to a sundial as the iPad is to a stone tablet: it’s the same, only completely different. Better." - Now if only the battery lasted as long as the sun is up each day...

I'm still not convinced that there IS a "smart watch market".

hwalker84

That's because you have the screen magnifier on.

NeOak

It's a garbage review for a half-baked product. If it came from a smaller pub I would probably say that they felt the pressure to award it a high score out of fear not to receive further products/embargos from Motorola.

Awful reviews aside, do you guys use any kind of wireless speakers/docks? I'd like to purchase one for my kitchen, but so far they all look either way poor or way expensive.

I got a Jawbone as a gift. Works fine, nice bass.

hankster

It's HTC phone. I don't know why you would expect any kind of support. Beside the poor camera it is also another reason I am not too keen on picking up M8.

The OnePlus will tie me over until when Microsoft put out 1020 successor. I hope it's true and not some lip service. Should we not get leak by now if there is a new phone coming out in couple of months?
I'm kinda in the same boat. I bought the OnePlusOne (OPO) to flip it, but I can't seem to let go of it. A lot of phone for the money it is. BUT I still prefer WP OS. So the OPO will tide me over til a true New WP hero comes along. That and saving good money by flipping to Cricket from at&t. Heck Cricket may wind up with one of these new Lumias at a good price.

Razdek

Banned

If the message Microsoft is trying to send out to people that only Lumia phones will get the updates then what incentive of other OEMs to make WP if nobody is going to buy them? These Lumia Denim features should be in the OS itself and not specific to a phone brand.

Razdek

Banned
If the Verge review was for an MS smart watch and it had all those flaws it would have been ripped apart but they seem to give Google stuff a bit of leeway.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
If the message Microsoft is trying to send out to people that only Lumia phones will get the updates then what incentive of other OEMs to make WP if nobody is going to buy them? These Lumia Denim features should be in the OS itself and not specific to a phone brand.

They were probably implemented by Nokia before the actual purchase took place.

royalan

There will. But for that we'll need to get past the current ghetto stage.

BS like the Moto 360 or the godawful LG G Watch are what the UMPC was to the tablet market.

I dunno. I don't see it. I think the general public isn't going to see much of a benefit in a smart watch that justifies the price point. Just too much overlap with capable and portable smartphones that people already have in their pockets. It's a completely superfluous device -- a tech nerd's dream but little else.

This is a conversation for another thread tho.

Top Bottom