• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Valkyria

Banned
Google is making a huge push on the low end with Android One and will probably start flooding it even more. MS is going to have some tough competition there.

I don't know about USA but here in Europe the androids terminals on the same price range of 530 and 630 are from unknown vendors and crappy as hell. They are pushing them hard I it seems is paying off.

Prez

Where can I find obscure app and game recommendations? There seem to be so many that aren't reviewed or recommended anywhere. Most are bad but there should be quite some hidden gems.

KageMaru

So I just got my Icon, what's the deal, Verizon still hasn't pushed out 8.1?

Says I'm on 8.0.10521.0.

Did just receive an update from Nokia, don't know what it did though.

Verizon sucks at releasing updates.

You can always get 8.1 through the dev preview program.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Verizon sucks at releasing updates.

You can always get 8.1 through the dev preview program.
if I did that is the Nokia cyan update available? Or would I have to rollback once Verizon finally decides to release 8.1?

Zeknurn

Challenging Apple and Samsung about the premium they charge.

Looks like they're finally starting to fight for the mobile space. About time.

Lumia 830
Slimmer and lighter
10 mp sensor.
Smallest OIS module yet.

You can adjust flash in pictures retroactively with a slider. Very cool.

Zeknurn

Microsoft Screen Sharing for Lumia. A NFC enabled coaster that enables Miracast

Lumia 830 has a 2200mAh battery

Smart Wireless Charging Plate that glows when you get notifications.

330€. That's more than I expected when they called out Samsung and Apple. Oh well.

Zeknurn

Those were solo selfies, it's time for group shots

Haha. Microsoft doing the world a favour for the future of celebrity nudes.

Teeth whitening does not affect dogs. That's racist.

The Selfie app uses the rear camera to frame faces on phones that aren't the Selife phone. Very useful on Lumia 520 without a FFC.

hadareud

The Translator
Great prices for both the 830 and 730.

To be fair, the 5 and 630's were priced really well too - let's see whether they made a dent in Q3.

Yeah, I was hoping against hope that they'd sneakily announce it today too, but obviously it was never going to happen, considering how shit they are with keeping stuff secret.
I am sure it was McClaren but since that got axed they were caught without flagship, hence the affordable flagship. $440 is kinda expensive I think for affordable flagship when you have Nexus 5 at $350-400 and OnePlus at even lower price point both with 1080p screen.

I am sure AT&T will mandate that their version of the phone will not be compatible with qi. Also what a major fail when off contract phone are not going to be available in the US. So they essentially have no phone at all this year beside the 630 in the meantime the competition are releasing severals new top of the line phones. Oh well saving my upgrade for next year. Thanks Microsoft for encourage me to switch away from your platform.

hadareud

The Translator
I am sure it was McClaren but since that got axed they were caught without flagship, hence the affordable flagship. $440 is kinda expensive I think for affordable flagship when you have Nexus 5 at $350-400 and OnePlus at even lower price point both with 1080p screen.

I am sure AT&T will mandate that their phone will not be compatible with qi. Oh well saving my upgrade for next. Thanks Microsoft for encourage me to switch away from your platform.

Not sure that the McLaren was the 1030 since TW said it had a smaller sensor. I think it was a new flagship with a good camera, but not quite 1020 levels. Either way it's a real shame that there's no flagship phone this autumn, I'm ready to upgrade.

Regarding the price, 330 Euros translates to 330 dollars. 440 is the exchange rate, but that's not how pricing of electronics works.

Valkyria

Banned

I am sure AT&T will mandate that their phone will not be compatible with qi. Oh well saving my upgrade for next. Thanks Microsoft for encourage me to switch away from your platform.

Pretty sure you will get the same prices in dollars or even less. Don't forget about the European tax "because reasons".

Not sure that the McLaren was the 1030 since TW said it had a smaller sensor. I think it was a new flagship with a good camera, but not quite 1020 levels. Either way it's a real shame that there's no flagship phone this autumn, I'm ready to upgrade.

Regarding the price, 330 Euros translates to 330 dollars. 440 is the exchange rate, but that's not how pricing of electronics works.

I don't think McClaren was 1030, but it would have been the real flagship perhaps 940 or something. I don't think they have plan for 1020 successor. I can't see Microsoft doing a phone like the 1020. A lower spec hardware like 10 mega pixel and lower resolution screen and CPU is more their style not bleeding edge stuffs and then try to offset the shortcomings with software solutions.

hadareud

The Translator
I don't think McClaren was 1030, but it would have been the real flagship perhaps 940 or something. I don't think they have plan for 1020 successor. I can't see Microsoft doing a phone like the 1020. A lower spec hardware like 10 mega pixel and lower resolution screen and CPU is more their style not bleeding edge stuffs and then try to offset the shortcomings with software solutions.

Yep, agree about the McLaren.

I still think we'll see a 1030. Much like the 1020 being based on the 920, I suspect it will be based on the 930. Coming out in February or march or something.

Lumia 730 and 830 have mixed things up a bit for me. Because the 5MP front facing camera exists I want it. Of those two, I think the 730 is the nicer looking device, but equally I wouldn't want to miss out of the 930 20MP camera and specs.

Ugh...

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Those phones not having s800's is also a huge letdown. Very disappointing showing from my perspective. I can't see myself coming back to the platform this year.

hadareud

The Translator
Yeah, but the selfie app will come to the 930 too, so you can take selfies with the rear facing camera as they showed.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I don't know about USA but here in Europe the androids terminals on the same price range of 530 and 630 are from unknown vendors and crappy as hell. They are pushing them hard I it seems is paying off.
You also have the Galaxy Ace. But that's some prime fucking garbage.

Yeah, but the selfie app will come to the 930 too, so you can take selfies with the rear facing camera as they showed.
It's more the convenience of being able to see the screen and still take high quality images than the sweet selfie after effects.

Going to see about a 930 today anyway.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Does anybody know how can I reset Internet Explorer's search/url suggestions? For some reason deleting my browsing history doesn't work and I have some fairly personal suggestions from previous searches that pop up when I try to write a new URL.

It's nothing salacious, but I'd prefer if my friends wouldn't see those if they pick my phone.

PG2G

Well, I was hoping the 830 would be an option for me, but not with a S400. No idea what to do now

Doesn't help that Thurotts article says neither phone is coming to US. What was with all the rumors???

flonty

I am considering to switch from my iPhone 5 to a Lumia 925 as it is 4,5" (anything more is to big for me nowdays). Would that be a good decision with the specs? Like is the 925 camera comparable to iphone 5 camera? Better, worse, as good?
Does the 925 support WP 8.1?

Also regarding apps, I know that the windows store doesn't have as many apps as the play store or appstore however i am not using that many apps to begin with. The most important ones are Whatsapp, youtube (is there an official app from google available now?), google maps and amazon to name a few.

Would be happy if you guys could answer my questions tell me if theres something important i should reconsider.

Thanks in advance

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I'm a huge fan of Nokia's cameras, but something I haven't see quite yet in the WP ecosystem is the launch speed of Apple's and the iPhone's ability to take excellent pictures at the first try (which is not always the case with older Lumia devices).

And yes, the 925 does support WP8.1. YouTube is only officially accesible through its mobile site (which is surprisingly pasable after the latest update), although there are a number of unofficial apps. There's no official Google Maps, but Here Maps is actually pretty fantastic and I may like it even more, specially if you need offline maps. Amazon is there, although I'm not sure how it compares to the iOS app.

I think I'd wait for a little bit to see Denim's effect on the camera before making the jump. Just keep in mind that the 925 is an oldish device already.

Also regarding apps, I know that the windows store doesn't have as many apps as the play store or appstore however i am not using that many apps to begin with. The most important ones are Whatsapp, youtube (is there an official app from google available now?), google maps and amazon to name a few.
No official YouTube app. Though there are brilliant third party offerings, MyTube being my favourite. Failing that, the website works fine in the browser these days.

Top Bottom