• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
The 830 could be tempting, but that depends on if it comes to Canada. For my usage, maybe the S400 will be sufficient, I play games less and less on my phone.

ElNino

Yep, agree about the McLaren.

I still think we'll see a 1030. Much like the 1020 being based on the 920, I suspect it will be based on the 930. Coming out in February or march or something.
I'd love to see a 1030 early next year, as I'd easily be able to do a cheap'ish upgrade from my 1020 then.

Ideally, they can also leverage Denim's camera speed increase on a 1020 successor along with a more appropriate processor on board as well.

PG2G

Wait, so in Oct/Nov this year will there be any new WP devices on ATT?

HTC One lol.

Maybe there will be carrier specific versions of the 830. Hard to imagine it not coming here when every rumor had it coming to each of the carriers and the leakers had a Verizon device. I'm sure we'll get more info

kazinova

HTC One lol.

Maybe there will be carrier specific versions of the 830. Hard to imagine it not coming here when every rumor had it coming to each of the carriers and the leakers had a Verizon device. I'm sure we'll get more info

I hope so, I don't love the 830 but I've been looking for a reason to switch to a bring-your-own phone plan on T-mobile. A decent $300 phone would certainly make that an easier pill to swallow.

I think I'm done paying $130+ bucks a month for two phones.

Magni

Well, I was hoping the 830 would be an option for me, but not with a S400. No idea what to do now

Doesn't help that Thurotts article says neither phone is coming to US. What was with all the rumors???

The 830 and 735 are both on Nokia USA's website: http://www.nokia.com/us-en/phones/all "coming soon"

My 820 was working flawlessly with 8.1.1 and then the micro-usb port broke (and I don't want to buy a shell for it with this just around the corner), but my 521 has been utter shit with the DP :( I'm too lazy to downgrade, so hurry up and release MS!

PG2G

Thurott mentioned them being available at places like Expansys in the US but not necessarily carriers. Dunno where he is getting that from though

This is only 'affordable' flagship if they make the device hit under $350.

I really love the look of the phone, especially the availability of a green variant and the microsd card slot. Only bad part is the 720p screen. Basically all phones in that range should be 1080p by now. Save OLED for the 9xx and 10xx devices, but the 8xx should have 1080p, imo.

I have a 920, and I'm not compelled to get a 830 just yet. They need to have a device that competes better with the Nexus 5. And I just know that any reasonably priced phone better than the 830 won't have a microSD slot, which is just incorrect. I won't upgrade my 920 until its an actual upgrade.

KageMaru

Huge mistake not packing a s800 (or even s600) in the 830. The only thing flagship about that phone is the marketing speak. So far IMO the 930/Icon, Ativ SE, and One M8 are the only flagship Windows phones this year. Kind of sad they don't have anything high end to compete with the iPhone 6 and Note 4.

if I did that is the Nokia cyan update available? Or would I have to rollback once Verizon finally decides to release 8.1?

Not sure. Some phones recently received the cyan update without needing to roll back, so I hope the same thing happens with the Icon.

Not sure but WPCentral reported it's only for S800 and up processors which doesn't make sense as I think it works on Android with lesser hardware.

Either those Android phones have an additional chip that allows for voice activation or they experience additional power drain when the feature is enabled. The s800 chips and up have additional hardware for hands free voice activation, so that's why those phones only support it on WP. I'd imagine older chips may be able to support it to if the feature was developed with them in mind, but the extra drain to the battery might be problematic.

You can't even have the new "Hey Cortana" feature as that requires a snapdragon S8XX.
So I'm assuming the 920 wont get it then.

-.- Come on Robellus, pick up a new high-end windows phone. The 930 is sitting out there in international markets for crying out loud.

Razdek

Banned
So I'm assuming the 920 wont get it then.

-.- Come on Robellus, pick up a new high-end windows phone. The 930 is sitting out there in international markets for crying out loud.

Canada ain't getting shit. They think the 630 is good enough for us and that we don't want anything better.

So you guys wanted the 830 to be a thinner, lighter, and yet the same hardware chipset as the 930 but it also costs less?

Chipset is fine how it is, but the problem I have is mainly about expandable storage. Why do none of Nokia/Microsoft's flagships have a microsd slot? I use Xbox Music, and have a very small data plan so I need that local storage for my collection. 32GB on the 920 is not enough for me, but neither the 930 or greater have that capability unless you go with the huge tank phones which are too big for my tastes.

Nexus 5 is Google's 'affordable' flagship, and its a year old at this point, so there's little reason to me that Nokia are releasing a competing phone that is, aside from the build quality, pretty much 'inferior' in every respect, and I bet that will be even more obvious when the Nexus X or whatever next version is fairly soon.

My ideal 2014/15 Nokia would look like a 830, have competitive hardware with a Nexus 5, meaning lowish end Snapdragon 800, 1GB RAM, 16GB storage, a 1080p screen, and a sub 400 CAD pricepoint off contract. And I should be able to walk into a Microsoft Store and buy it straight up. 830 camera, swappable backs, microsd, are all perfectly fine so should stay.

The 930 isn't a compelling upgrade to my 920 to me, neither was the 1020, and the 830 isn't doing it for me either.

dpatel304

And my 920 on AT&T is still waiting for a worthwhile upgrade that is not a massive 6"...

I'm in the same boat as you. I purchased my 920 when it came out and am looking to upgrade. I don't see anything worthwhile. Unless I'm missing something, my options seem to be:
Lumia 830
Lumia 930
Lumia 1520 (too big for my taste)
HTC M8

Am I missing anything else? I don't mind waiting a bit longer, I just feel like there should be more options available. I'm sure I'm not the only one that got a WP when the Lumia 920 launched. I've been extremely happy with it, I just don't think any of my current options are a big enough of an upgrade to warrant a purchase.

I think the 930 is a very good upgrade from the 920. Wish it was in Canada.

Basically this. I wish Microsoft would just reject carriers, etc, and just sell their lineup unlocked in their store, because the carrier situation in Canada is a bad joke. 930 is a good step up from the 920, but it still lacks poweruser-type features of the lesser Lumia devices, which is something I've never really understood (mainly talking about microSD). Wouldn't be so bad if storage sizes weren't artificially stagnated to like 16-32GB for the past few years. Should be up to like 64-128GB on the low end for flagships.

How does the 830's CPU compare to the 1020's CPU?

Also, was there any news about US pricing and which carriers will carry these phones?

Have they said anything about the 1020 coming to Verizon this year yet? I want a release date so bad. I saw a site the other day said October but I cant find anything official.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
About to snag an Icon through verizon. Is it worth it to wait for an 830 or are they a step down?

Get the Icon. While you're there though, lodge a complaint that Verizon hasn't released 8.1 yet.

I may go back to the store and ask them to send it up the chain, for whatever that's worth. (nothing).

jagowar

I really like the look of the 830 and will be my next phone as long as it ends up getting good battery life in the real world and the camera works well (assuming it comes to US carriers for a reasonable price).

Top Bottom