• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

n64coder

Was watching the Pats-Dolphins football game yesterday. Saw a couple of Windows Phone (Lumia 635 & HTC) ads featuring Cortana versus Siri. Normally I'm skipping over commercials since I have it recorded on my WMC but I stopped to watch those ads.

mm04

Finally got my 8.1 and Cyan updates this morning on AT&T on my 920. Haven't had the time to really mess with it yet, but I'm happy the update showed up on my screen when I woke up this morning.

Amazon Fire is now 99 cents with a 2 yr contract. It's introduction and poor reception probably had something to do with the McLaren cancellation.

Watevaman

Can someone explain why my Icon sends 2 of stuff a lot? When I reply to an email, it sends the same thing twice. Just posted a photo to a group on Facebook, posted it twice. It's annoying as hell.

Can someone explain why my Icon sends 2 of stuff a lot? When I reply to an email, it sends the same thing twice. Just posted a photo to a group on Facebook, posted it twice. It's annoying as hell.
I'm pretty sure it's a known issue with Verizon. All my friends on Verizon send double texts.

kazinova

So, I think I'm trying to break free from AT&T's iron grip. So, since I'm not going to be getting a subsidized phone in October I'm thinking of just buying a 1520 right now.

Problem is there's not a lot of purchasing options that I can find. There's a refurbished batch on ebay for $319.99 that's a tempting risk (risk that it'll be in good condition and that I'll be able to unlock the phone when my contract with AT&T).

$539.99 seems to be the best price (@ Newegg) for an unlocked 1520.3 but that's pretty steep compared to the refurb.

I can swing $400 for a phone easily, any more and I'll have to save up (which isn't the end of the world, I just want to make a change now because I'm impatient). Which way would you go? Also, what way have people gone about getting 1520's outside of 2-year contracts?

(Bonus question: what color is best on the 1520?)

Tapiozona

Banned
So, I think I'm trying to break free from AT&T's iron grip. So, since I'm not going to be getting a subsidized phone in October I'm thinking of just buying a 1520 right now.

Problem is there's not a lot of purchasing options that I can find. There's a refurbished batch on ebay for $319.99 that's a tempting risk (risk that it'll be in good condition and that I'll be able to unlock the phone when my contract with AT&T).

$539.99 seems to be the best price (@ Newegg) for an unlocked 1520.3 but that's pretty steep compared to the refurb.

I can swing $400 for a phone easily, any more and I'll have to save up (which isn't the end of the world, I just want to make a change now because I'm impatient). Which way would you go? Also, what way have people gone about getting 1520's outside of 2-year contracts?

(Bonus question: what color is best on the 1520?)

Just bought a red 1520 on craigslist for $250 and it was literally brand new. Guy it on contract bought it, didnt like it and stuck it back in the box.

I buy all my phones on craigslist.

kazinova

Just bought a red 1520 on craigslist for $250 and it was literally brand new. Guy it on contract bought it, didnt like it and stuck it back in the box.

I buy all my phones on craigslist.

Someone's asking $250 near me but says the phone has a bad IMEI number? What could that mean. I used to sell cell phones at Best Buy back in the day but i imagine that would make activating the phone a pain.

José Mourinho;129013625 said:
Good to see the Windows 8 app is still a piece of shit. It detects my 930 but won't give me access to the files or auto import anything.
Yup, windows 8 USB issue. It's an on and off issue.

Someone's asking $250 near me but says the phone has a bad IMEI number? What could that mean. I used to sell cell phones at Best Buy back in the day but i imagine that would make activating the phone a pain.
Bad IMEI means the phone was likely stolen and now permanently locked. Probably only good for parts now.

kazinova

Bad IMEI means the phone was likely stolen and now permanently locked. Probably only good for parts now.

Yeah, some quick research leads to the same conclusion. Oh well, seemed to good to be true anyways. Next best price is $500, so it seems like I'll be waiting for a while to get a good deal.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Couple points from the weekend.

Wifi Sense is awesome - My data allowance has run out for the month and was at a restaurant that is also a network dead zone for me. But my phone picked up a known, open Wifi hotspot and connected automatically.

Yes it is. I was at target just now and my phone automatically joined targets free guest WiFi.

Anyone want to post their homescreens how they have it set up now, along with names of the more obscure apps you've got pinned?

I'm trying to figure out a layout that I like since updating to Cyan, with folders and such. And some wallpaper that would look nice behind the tiles, too. :)

Thanks!

Yeah, some quick research leads to the same conclusion. Oh well, seemed to good to be true anyways. Next best price is $500, so it seems like I'll be waiting for a while to get a good deal.
Are you looking for an unlocked device? I see ATT locked refurbs all the time priced between $250-350 depending on condition.

Magni

I can't add my work Gmail to my DP L521 :( Every time I successfully enter the 2FA pin code, the "authorize app" page appears for a split second before bringing me back to the Accounts page before I can authorize the app. I've done it three times in a row now, it's a pain when my password is a huge ass 1Password mess.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Anyone want to post their homescreens how they have it set up now, along with names of the more obscure apps you've got pinned?

I'm trying to figure out a layout that I like since updating to Cyan, with folders and such. And some wallpaper that would look nice behind the tiles, too. :)

Thanks!

I love live tiles. Not just how they help me use less space, but also how they still show notifications and also how you can somewhat control the layout within them.

Home screen
tvrjCu4l.jpg
- Simple calendar has a nice layout for me. Photos using my favourite photos for the live tile (I also use those photos cycling on the lock screen, with weather flow's image shuffle setting)
- Small icons for main phone/email/messaging apps.
- headertiles app is used to create the little header tiles over my app folders at the bottom
- blank tiles app is used to create padding

Facebook and twitter I have in a live tile because I only need to see notification badges at this level. When I tap on the Facebook folder it comes up like this so I can easily see more info on the notification eg on facebook's live tile.

An example of one of the app folders for video

Another app folder for music showing how you can arrange different sized tiles inside a live folder to control the layout. This works best with small live tiles. If you do it with medium or large it'll start to rotate the icons in the live tile and I find it a bit distracting - sometimes tiles are hidden

With live tiles it really compresses my home screen, so there is opportunity to adjust/expand over time.

Let not get ahead of ourselves, the phones haven't even been announced for a week. Have there even been many carrier announcements elsewhere in the world?
Every time Nokia announces new phones there's carrier announcements that shortly follow, at least for US carriers. The phones that have been announced with no immediate announcement from carriers seem to never be released in the US.

So because no US carriers have yet to announce availability on the 730 and 830, I am led to believe they aren't coming to the US or that Microsoft's carrier partnerships have slowed or gone to shit since the Nokia merger and they'll be announces later. Either way, pretty sad if the 635 is the only 8.1 device by the time the iPhone 6 is released.

I love live tiles. Not just how they help me use less space, but also how they still show notifications and also how you can somewhat control the layout within them.

Home screen

- Simple calendar has a nice layout for me. Photos using my favourite photos for the live tile (I also use those photos cycling on the lock screen, with weather flow's image shuffle setting)
- headertiles app is used to create the little header tiles over my app folders at the bottom

With live tiles it really compresses my home screen, so there is opportunity to adjust/expand over time.
You should really check out this AMAZING APP LIFELOGGER: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/lifelogger/13933b15-2a0e-44eb-84ce-f95e645a42f9

BEST APP EVER

shameless self-plug

kazinova

Are you looking for an unlocked device? I see ATT locked refurbs all the time priced between $250-350 depending on condition.

I don't think I need the device unlocked. I was hoping to get a 1520.3 to get back all the features AT&T stripped out. But those look like they are $500+.

There's a couple refurbished options out there but my track record with refurb stuff has been checkered at best, so I'm always leery. Especially with something I'll be using every day like a phone.

KageMaru

So I deleted my temp internet files after seeing how much space it was taking up. Well now every time I launch the browser, I need to log into GAF again. Anyone else have this issue? It saves my log in information but doesn't keep me logged in.

This doesn't happen with my Icon on Verizon. It's a drag, but have you tried resetting your phone?

Considering how fast the battery drains with my Icon, this isn't too surprising. Sadly Cyan is supposed to help with battery consumption.

Home screen

Facebook and twitter I have in a live tile because I only need to see notification badges at this level. When I tap on the Facebook folder it comes up like this so I can easily see more info on the notification eg on facebook's live tile.

An example of one of the app folders for video

Another app folder for music showing how you can arrange different sized tiles inside a live folder to control the layout. This works best with small live tiles. If you do it with medium or large it'll start to rotate the icons in the live tile and I find it a bit distracting - sometimes tiles are hidden

Nice layout! I'm really liking how the folders are changing up how I've had my Start Screen. I've only really made major changes after lot's of tinkering two or three times. Once when going from WP7 to WP8, then again once they allowed small tiles, and now once again with folders in 8.1. I pretty much use my phone through muscle memory after a certain while.

I like the use of Wide tiles inside a mini-tile-folder. You still get the notifications, but the benefit of having the full wide tile, which is something I haven't really used a lot of because of how much space it takes up. As far as I've been able to tell, even if the tiles don't show up in rotation inside the folder's "preview", the tile will still show up if there is a notification.

I like Simple Calendar's live tile better than the stock WP8 one, due to much more useful info in the same space, but I don't like the Super Calendar app very much over the default Calendar in 8.1. Sadly I couldn't find any options to change what calendar app launches from the live tile in Simple's settings. Maybe in a future update.

Any other relatively new apps with interesting functionality or live tiles lately?

U2NUMB

Finally got the update.. I admit I like many things about it. Only annoying thing so far is Cortona never shuts up in my pocket, she keeps asking me if I want something.

NeOak

Finally got the update.. I admit I like many things about it. Only annoying thing so far is Cortona never shuts up in my pocket, she keeps asking me if I want something.
Tell your dick to stop unlocking the phone and trying to flirt with her

:lol

hankster

MSN returns and rebrands Bing apps
Bing sold off / shut down by MS
Google apps appear on Windows Phone
Half Life 3 confirmed!

Nero3000

So it begins:

gruber said:
Why change the “regular” size from 4.0 to 4.7 inches? I don’t know; I’m willing to keep an open mind until I see one in person tomorrow that it’ll be an improvement without being much of an imposition — that the device as a whole won’t feel that much bigger volumetrically and the increase in screen real estate will be a welcome improvement.

It’s for these people that I think Apple will indeed have a one-handed mode that shrinks the UI. - no silly quips here?!?!

The thing is, I’m not laughing. You wanted Apple to make a 5.5-inch iPhone? This is what you get. - oh it's the users fault, got it

derFeef

Someone yesterday mentioned that Health & Fitness is shit. Pfft, my GF loves it, the integrated pedometer in the 630 works really well. I might switch from runtastic to this as well.

MarkusRJR

Wow, back to MSN? Such a bad change. Reminds me of the 90's... the bad part of the 90's that you're happy is gone. The brand is reminiscent of AOL, Yahoo, Hotmail, etc. Hope they go back to Bing. Much more attractive brand when compared to MSN IMO.

Also, after trying to change my gmail address on my Google account (hint: you can't) I am so happy with MS's much better account system (aliases). Hell, because my YouTube account is stuck to my gmail, even if I make a new Google account, delete my YouTube channel, and remake it on the new Google account the username is taken forever. So embarrassingly frustrating for such a modern account system.

Valkyria

Banned
Don't use WP Whatsapp but can't you download the profile pictures then manually apply them to the contacts? That'd probably take a while though if you have a ton of contacts.

Yeah but I'm too lazy XD. I would have to do that because I'm not finding anything myself.

hadareud

The Translator
Someone yesterday mentioned that Health & Fitness is shit. Pfft, my GF loves it, the integrated pedometer in the 630 works really well. I might switch from runtastic to this as well.

I don't think anyone did, unless you refer to my piss take.

kazinova

Eff it! Throwing caution to the wind and purchasing a refurb 1520 for $300. I'll figure out unlocking it later. Is there a sim size difference between the 920 and 1520?

kazinova

Anyone else buy a refurb phone and know what I'm going to have to do to get it working on my SIM?

I have AT&T, it's an AT&T SIM and the new phone is an AT&T model. I'm thinking I'll have to go to an AT&T store and pay an activation fee for something in this...

ElNino

What phone are you using? I think your layout looks great, but I've found on the 1020 that I can't use the 3 column option as the tiles become too small for me to use (eyes aren't as good as they used to be).

Top Bottom