• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Anyone else buy a refurb phone and know what I'm going to have to do to get it working on my SIM?

I have AT&T, it's an AT&T SIM and the new phone is an AT&T model. I'm thinking I'll have to go to an AT&T store and pay an activation fee for something in this...

As long as the sim is the same size as your current one, all you have to do is stick your sim card in and that's it. You don't have to visit the store unless you need a new sim because the refurb phone uses a different size.

kazinova

As long as the sim is the same size as your current one, all you have to do is stick your sim card in and that's it. You don't have to visit the store unless you need a new sim because the refurb phone uses a different size.

Whoops, I totally forgot the 1520 is a nanoSIM. My 920 has a microSIM. Wonder how much this'll cost me...

I think either my phone's charge adaptor or my battery is malfunctioning... No matter what charger I use my phone keeps toggling the plugged in status. Today I left it charging the whole night and it wasn't even at 80% this morning.

This is usually taken care be warranty, right?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Those new phones are so damn boring. I was thinking of moving back to apple and I can't. There really is no killer phone this year, what a shame.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Those new phones are so damn boring. I was thinking of moving back to apple and I can't. There really is no killer phone this year, what a shame.
After seeing this I'm glad I didn't wait for the new iPhone and just got the icon.

4.7" iPhone isn't 1080p and after using a 5" phone, no way in hell I would use a 5.5" it just wouldn't fit my hand.

I hate those curves. It looks so incredibly ugly to me.

That Tom Warren thread is just another reminder why I almost never venture back into gaming side. It's become completely toxic to me.

hadareud

The Translator
omg it's a watch.

The things it will be able to do. Finally a watch of any kind that's useful.

Oh it's smart too! It has a display.

MCD

it's an apple conference.

sadly, MS got zero devices to counter anything apple/google. oh yeah, there is that htc android leftover phone...

and amazon is bending their ass to google starting with amazon video. maybe they will do the same for wp...lol just kidding!

hadareud

The Translator
The 930 doesn't have to hide from that phone.

The watch, well, it's nice I guess. Quite ugly though.

That's why you pay a lot of money for an actual watch. Because it looks nice, not like that.

MCD

Did they announce anything related to wireless charging? I was hoping Apple could push it further.

8mp OIS camera and NFC in the 6+. The 920 had these components more than 2 yrs ago. Yet the 6+, off contract, will be priced starting at $800+ off contract. Geez, that Apple premium.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
8mp OIS camera and NFC in the 6+. The 920 had these components more than 2 yrs ago. Yet the 6+, off contract, will be priced starting at $800+ off contract. Geez, that Apple premium.

Its amazing how much the verge are apple fanboys.

I posted this in another thread, but this was when they were talking about the new camera.

"Apple's lead over the camera companies just increases as they dedicate resources against image processing."

JaggedSac

Its amazing how much the verge are apple fanboys.

I posted this in another thread, but this was when they were talking about the new camera.

"Apple's lead over the camera companies just increases as they dedicate resources against image processing."

Yeah, I saw that and just shook my head. Silliness, absolute silliness.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What phone are you using? I think your layout looks great, but I've found on the 1020 that I can't use the 3 column option as the tiles become too small for me to use (eyes aren't as good as they used to be).

930. When I had the 920 with three columns they were a bit small - so I used them mainly for notifications - email etc was fine. Should work well with two columns as well though. Key for me was the space it freed up, you can see I even used blank tiles for padding to space things out and most things fit on one screen. So on a two column layout you might scroll a bit but you'd still save a ton of space.

stktt

Banned
I was dismissive of the 830 based off of its specs, but the various previews make it sound like an excellent phone. I'll probably upgrade to it from my 1020 and hope the 1020 gets a proper successor next year.

I was dismissive of the 830 based off of its specs, but the various previews make it sound like an excellent phone. I'll probably upgrade to it from my 1020 and hope the 1020 gets a proper successor next year.
Same, the 830 is too sexy to pass up.

Hopefully, the carrier announcements were only delayed because of the iPhone 6 and their pricing.

If Microsoft can get the 830 on the shelves by the iPhone launch and price it right ($299 off contract) then it could be a good alternative.

Magni

Same, the 830 is too sexy to pass up.

Hopefully, the carrier announcements were only delayed because of the iPhone 6 and their pricing.

If Microsoft can get the 830 on the shelves by the iPhone launch and price it right ($299 off contract) then it could be a good alternative.

I'm expecting $399 off contract, hoping for $329. Just let me buy it directly from you this month MS, it's not that complicated!

Shameless cross post on the Apple Watch.

"I honestly don't think the price of the Apple Watch matters. Not because "hurr durr, Apple premium" or "Apple fanboys will buy anything, derp". It's really just because this is a first generation product for Apple. Like the first iPhone with its insane starting price back then, it doesn't need to be a product that appeals to the mass market yet. They just need to get their foot into the door with this. For that they need developer support first and then they can release hopefully a much better $199 version a year later.

But maybe I'm just seeing this wrong."

Top Bottom