• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

hadareud

The Translator
I don't think the watch is expensive Brot.

A few hundred dollars for a watch isn't a lot.

The problem is that it will be obsolete after a year. 350 dollars a year for a watch is a lot.

Either way they will sell them by the bucket load.

maeh2k

Shameless cross post on the Apple Watch.

"I honestly don't think the price of the Apple Watch matters. Not because "hurr durr, Apple premium" or "Apple fanboys will buy anything, derp". It's really just because this is a first generation product for Apple. Like the first iPhone with its insane starting price back then, it doesn't need to be a product that appeals to the mass market yet. They just need to get their foot into the door with this. For that they need developer support first and then they can release hopefully a much better $199 version a year later.

But maybe I'm just seeing this wrong."

Normally Apple are all about the high profit margin and they are surely going to sell a ton at any price. Demanding a premium over Android watches is also what you'd expect. However, with the watch there's more of an incentive to push the price down. The watch locks the user into their ecosystem. Someone with an Apple Watch is also buying an iPhone. And those come with very high profit margins. So, yes, I could see them go this way and push the prices down over time. Then again, you could also say that they don't sell a ton of watches compared to phones, anyway, and that the people buying an Apple Watch are already indoctrinated. So why leave money on the table? Might as well keep the price up.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Shameless cross post on the Apple Watch.

"I honestly don't think the price of the Apple Watch matters. Not because "hurr durr, Apple premium" or "Apple fanboys will buy anything, derp". It's really just because this is a first generation product for Apple. Like the first iPhone with its insane starting price back then, it doesn't need to be a product that appeals to the mass market yet. They just need to get their foot into the door with this. For that they need developer support first and then they can release hopefully a much better $199 version a year later.

But maybe I'm just seeing this wrong."

It's actually in line with the android wear watches, so I don't think they have to lower the price at all.

maeh2k

Verge: "While the camera on the iPhone 5S was very impressive, competition hasn't stood still. Nokia, most notably, changed perceptions of what smartphone cameras could do with its insane Lumia 1020. Its 41-megapixel, 2/3-inch sensor remains unmatched, but the company has so far failed to pack remotely similar performance into a regular-sized smartphone."

So the 1020 is not a regular-sized smartphone? But the 5.5" iPhone 6 Huge is? And how are the cameras in the Icon/930 not of remotely similar performance compared to the 1020?

Verge: "While the camera on the iPhone 5S was very impressive, competition hasn't stood still. Nokia, most notably, changed perceptions of what smartphone cameras could do with its insane Lumia 1020. Its 41-megapixel, 2/3-inch sensor remains unmatched, but the company has so far failed to pack remotely similar performance into a regular-sized smartphone."

So the 1020 is not a regular-sized smartphone? But the 5.5" iPhone 6 Huge is? And how are the cameras in the Icon/930 not of remotely similar performance compared to the 1020?

all it takes is one sentence to change reality to fit a narrative

I don't read the Verge, but I heard they're very pro-Apple.

That statement is super-vague anyway. What's considered "remotely similar" and what's considered a "regular-sized smartphone"?

It's actually in line with the android wear watches, so I don't think they have to lower the price at all.

The Gear Live is 199, the G Watch is 199, the Moto 360 is 249. The G Watch R could be 299, but after Moto launched the 360 for 249, LG might be forced to launch it at 249, too.

dLMN8R

When does that $1000 watch become obsolete?

On the contrary, what would make the Apple Watch become obsolete before one of those watches? Unless it's built terribly (which seems unlikely), surely it would continue functioning as a watch for just as long? The only ways in which it would become obsolete are in ways that go far beyond what a regular watch does anyway, so comparing obsolescence between them seems like a distraction.

I get that $350 sounds like a lot, but for a high-end tech gadget + fashion accessory it's really not. Tech enthusiasts get infatuated with extremely complex pieces of tech that are sold for low prices and forget what high-end things actually tend to cost in the real world.

People in the United States usually not paying full price for phones only confuses things further.

Magni

On the contrary, what would make the Apple Watch become obsolete before one of those watches? Unless it's built terribly (which seems unlikely), surely it would continue functioning as a watch for just as long? The only ways in which it would become obsolete are in ways that go far beyond what a regular watch does anyway, so comparing obsolescence between them seems like a distraction.

How is that a distraction? You don't buy a Shinola to change it every other year like a phone, or every 3-4 like a tablet or computer. Yet I see an AppleWatch having the same lifespan as an iPad rather than that of a Shinola.

hadareud

The Translator

I get that $350 sounds like a lot, but for a high-end tech gadget + fashion accessory it's really not. Tech enthusiasts get infatuated with extremely complex pieces of tech that are sold for low prices and forget what high-end things actually tend to cost in the real world.

People in the United States usually not paying full price for phones only confuses things further.

Watches last for generations, literally.

Even through wars hidden in the arses of people if Quentin Tarantino is to be believed.

The battery will lose capacity, die off eventually and make the watch obsolete. Before it dies, it fails to hold a charge for a single day, of course. Unlike with a real watch, you can't replace the battery either. A good watch lasts easily three times as long as one of these first generation products. You really can't compare smartwatches with a real, mechanical watch.

In other, slightly off topic news...

the WSJ reports that Microsoft is close to buying Mojang and Minecraft for two Instagrams.

It's like they're having meetings and try to come up with ways to be hated even more by the community. It's amazing, really.

the WSJ reports that Microsoft is close to buying Mojang and Minecraft for two Instagrams.

It's like they're having meetings and try to come up with ways to be hated even more by the community. It's amazing, really.

pfffft. Incredible.

Bullza2o

Well now that the new iPhone 6 underwhelmed me (unsurprisingly), my next upgrade will be a Nexus 6, Oneplus One, or a high end Lumia if it even still exists. Please MS announce one before you lose me. WP was my first smartphone and I'd hate to switch.

Doffen

Minecraft Pocket Edition for Windows Phone? Pls?

MarkusRJR

Great on 8.1 if you turn off the 3rd row of tiles. Worthy purchase but you'll eventually be angered at the cameras slow start up and shot to shot time which is why many 1020 owners are looking at the 830.
I really want the Lumia 830 (or even the 735) but it's not coming to Canada. I've been waiting like 4 months and it's either go 635, 1020, or get a BB10 phone (don't like android or iOS, merely tolerate).

Exokell

Banned
I was cringing bad at the video describing the iPhone 6 as not as huge as android phones when that shit is as big as android phones.

MarkusRJR

I was cringing bad at the video describing the iPhone 6 as not as huge as android phones when that shit is as big as android phones.
It's actually bigger than comparable phones of the same screen size. But Verge finds a way to spin it so "it's less unmanageable than large android phones". That site has turned horrible since last year. Not that it was great, but at least comments/articles weren't objectively wrong to fit their Apple bias.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
The battery will lose capacity, die off eventually and make the watch obsolete. Before it dies, it fails to hold a charge for a single day, of course. Unlike with a real watch, you can't replace the battery either. A good watch lasts easily three times as long as one of these first generation products. You really can't compare smartwatches with a real, mechanical watch.
exactly, took the words right out of my mouth. I bought a vintage 1962 Omega for my wedding last year, it doesn't have a battery and winds itself when I wear it. If the battery

who cares? People are going to irrationally hate Microsoft for whatever, just like people hate apple or google for no reason. Make a good product and or service and people will show up.

Surprised no one posted this yet, 830 to be on ATT in time for holidays. http://www.wpcentral.com/lumia-830-coming-att-holidays-stephen-elop-says

Well it was just posted by WP central. ATT also didn't mention Holidays, just that price and release date are soon to be announced so hopefully it's sooner, like this month.

U2NUMB

So I think my 920 is about shot.. the sim card slot appears to be dead. I know that this design has had problems and I had something behind my sim card for months to help it make a connection..

If this can not be fixed with a new sim card which I doubt due to it being so loose I may jump ship :( I do not want to but I might have to

kazinova

My favorite The Verge video of the iPhone 6+, "one thing they added is the ability to easily double tap the home button (furiously double taps to no avail..) you can see (tap-tap tap-tap) the screen moves down so you can reach the top. It's really easy.. (taptap taptap taptaptap) See?"

How is the Lumia 1020 on 8.1? Still a worthy purchase?

It's good with Cyan firmware and even with Update 1 but beyond that the ...resuming thing return (not as bad, but still noticeable). If you get one I wouldn't do the Preview or stop after Update 1. I am contemplating resetting my phone again. The resuming screen really get on your nerve after a while, especially coming from another phone that is very fast at app switching.

dLMN8R

Why is that horrible naming? The 920 is two years old lol. I'd expect the 8XX to surpass old 9XX at some point

If you understand the naming conventions, sure, but why would any customer who's completely unfamiliar with Lumia understand that the 830 is better than the 920?

dLMN8R

lol

c9mqhyi.jpg

i know i've said here many times in there WP threads and also in the Android threads but...

iVerge strikes again.

and i know people will use the same comebacks they've used for years so go ahead.

kazinova

Man, I feel great about ordering a 1520 before waiting for the iPhone 6/6+ announcement. I was worried I would regret it and feel like jumping back to iOS but there's no concern for that.

Now I just need to stop refreshing Fedex every hour because it's not going to make the phone ship any faster.

KageMaru

Ok this is getting frustrating. None of the sites I visit will store my log in info. This is bothering me so much I wanted to reset my phone, hoping that would fix the issue. Problem now is I get a message that there was an issue when backing up my phone and to please try again later. I've been trying all morning with no luck. It sucks but I no longer consider WP as a platform that "just works" ever since 8.1. Might as well go with Android if I want these issues.

NeOak

Man, I feel great about ordering a 1520 before waiting for the iPhone 6/6+ announcement. I was worried I would regret it and feel like jumping back to iOS but there's no concern for that.

Now I just need to stop refreshing Fedex every hour because it's not going to make the phone ship any faster.

1520.3?

jagowar

My favorite The Verge video of the iPhone 6+, "one thing they added is the ability to easily double tap the home button (furiously double taps to no avail..) you can see (tap-tap tap-tap) the screen moves down so you can reach the top. It's really easy.. (taptap taptap taptaptap) See?"

Noticed that too.... on any other review they would have called that out or made some snarky comment. It didn't work at all in that video.

ElNino

It's good with Cyan firmware and even with Update 1 but beyond that the ...resuming thing return (not as bad, but still noticeable). If you get one I wouldn't do the Preview or stop after Update 1. I am contemplating resetting my phone again. The resuming screen really get on your nerve after a while, especially coming from another phone that is very fast at app switching.
So you found that the 1020 on Cyan/Update 1 runs better than on DP?

My 1020 is still on DP Update 1, but no Cyan yet since I'm not on AT&T. I have been reluctant to wipe my phone and go back since I'd rather not re-sync my photos/music/etc. and I think some of my games are no longer on the store so I would lose those (although I don't really play games much on the phone).

Considering that AT&T has Cyan on DP now, I'm leaning towards waiting since it shouldn't be that long... but if the performance is much better than it will make it a tough wait.

Top Bottom