• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

kazinova

I wish, unfortunately I don't think it is. It's just a refurb through some ebay seller. But I'm assuming some sort of Surface/Nokia hybrid phone will show up and since I've paid outright I'll be able to jump back into the cycle whenever I want.

Liberty4all

Banned
I upgraded to 8.1 a few weeks ago and just realize the other day that I'm no longer getting facebook messages in my message hub. Researching a little further I discovered I needed to download a separate app (Messenger), and I'm now getting notifications similar to how it worked on IOS -- except Windows implementation of it is terrible (IMHO).

What happened to Facebook Hub integration? That was probably one of the main features that I loved about about the OS and separating it feels like a major step down. Not to mention that Messenger appears to drain my battery like no tomorrow.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Bought an Icon from Verizon last Friday, but it's back-ordered until the 17th. Ugh the wait.
sucks, my Verizon had it, walked right in got the phone and was out in 30 minutes.

I upgraded to 8.1 a few weeks ago and just realize the other day that I'm no longer getting facebook messages in my message hub. Researching a little further I discovered I needed to download a separate app (Messenger), and I'm now getting notifications similar to how it worked on IOS -- except Windows implementation of it is terrible (IMHO).

What happened to Facebook Hub integration? That was probably one of the main features that I loved about about the OS and separating it feels like a major step down. Not to mention that Messenger appears to drain my battery like no tomorrow.
facebook changed. This happened to me on my iPhone last week, someone sent me a message and I went to respond and it said you need to download the facebook messenger app, f that noise.

NeOak

The backend was a pain in the ass to maintain and could only be updated with OS updates, so they want to phase it out due to sound reasons.

I liked it too, but I can't say I blame them for wanting to change that.

hadareud

The Translator
Just saw the standing ovation at the Apple conference when they announced the watch.

Wow.

And people are offended when they're being compared to a flock or a sect.

kazinova

I keep refreshing and I'm still seeing that Fedex has yet to receive the package. The tracking number was generated Monday evening (Fedex 2Day). WHAT THE HELL?

(I'm so patient, and sane)

Nope. Microsoft pretty much cracked under the public pressure and is forced to change the name to what the public has been calling it anyway.

Ladies and gentlemen:

Windows 9 Phone.

A podcast I listen to weekly mentions their app for "iPhone, Android, and Windows 8 Phone".

Every week, I remind myself to send in a correction...but I can never think of a way of explaining why it's "Windows Phone 8" without sounding like an idiot.

Doffen

ruNcKxF.jpg

It's alive!!

dLMN8R

So....which is the best?

Also, my snarky comments earlier derailed my own question. Is the 830 better than the 920 in every way? Or is the 830 worse in some ways, even if minor?

So....which is the best?

Also, my snarky comments earlier derailed my own question. Is the 830 better than the 920 in every way? Or is the 830 worse in some ways, even if minor?

Whatever happened to The Verge's great product comparison tool? I can't find it.

Is the 830 better than the 920 in every way? Or is the 830
worse in some ways, even if minor?

Good comparison here:

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Nokia-Lumia-830,Nokia-Lumia-920/phones/8855,7471

920 had a better gpu

Not sure that is the case, The 830 has an Adreno 305, the 920 an Adreno 225.

This site lists the 305 directly above the 225:

http://s-smartphone.com/cell-phones/other/ranking-the-best-gpu-for-smartphonestablet/

n64coder

I think someone mentioned that there's a Windows 8 USB issue. What is the issue?

I was able to plug my phone and it imported pictures just fine for my Win 8.1 machine.

The only USB issue I have found is that whenever I hibernate my computer, the USB controller for whichever port my Microsoft natural keyboard/mouse is plugged into will sometimes crash/stop responding after wakeup. This happens when I used the USB 2.0 or 3.0 motherboard ports or a 3rd party USB 3.0 card which has a different driver. I need to try a different wireless usb keyboard/mouse to see if this is specific to the natural keyboard I'm using or if it's a WIndows 8 issue. I don't recall having this issue when I was running Windows 7 but I could be mistaken.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
when I hooked mine up to a windows 8 pc, browsing folders just showed nothing. But when I tried importing into lightroom it found my photos just fine. I guess it is using PTP or MTP so the files aren't showing up in explorer?

Nice. Which is best?
It's based on what your preferences are. After my research, none of them fit my needs. I assumed these things had heart rate monitors but they don't. They're nothing more than glorified overpriced pedometers that simply detect movement and Bluetooth data to you phone. Caloric burn and other data are all estimates based on activity and your profile.

kazinova

Damn, phone didn't get to Fedex until late Wednesday no way I'm getting it this week. Why am I such an impatient child when I order things online?

The pure ignorance about software development in some threads is just astounding. Every single time.

I don't even know why I clicked on the Windows 9 screenshot thread. Either way, finally flat icons on the desktop!

dLMN8R

Those screenshots reveal the future of the desktop in the same way that an ultrasound tells you what your baby will look like as a grown adult.

Top Bottom