• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

hwalker84

Ready for your Microsoft Lumia phone running Windows?

Image_analysis.jpg

Definitely not a 1520 from the holes. Right now I want a phone so bad. I only keep the 1520 because of the speed, battery life, and sqreen. I'd kill for a 5-5.5 inch 1030 with Snapdragon 805, WP8.1 and Denim firmware.

theDeeDubs

Got my Icon in earlier than expected. Loving this phone so far. Apparently I bought the first WP that had been sold by my Verizon store according to their manager lol. I've gone Blackberry>Android>iPhone>WP on my last four phones so it's been an interesting change each upgrade.

Definitely not a 1520 from the holes. Right now I want a phone so bad. I only keep the 1520 because of the speed, battery life, and sqreen. I'd kill for a 5-5.5 inch 1030 with Snapdragon 805, WP8.1 and Denim firmware.

I'm gonna have to settle for an 830 until next year :(

Got my Icon in earlier than expected. Loving this phone so far. Apparently I bought the first WP that had been sold by my Verizon store according to their manager lol. I've gone Blackberry>Android>iPhone>WP on my last four phones so it's been an interesting change each upgrade.

How hard was it to explain that you wanted a Windows Phone?

Watevaman

I thought they fixed the battery issues people had with 8.1 DP. Upgraded last weekend on my Icon and my battery has definitely seemed to take a hit.

theDeeDubs

How hard was it to explain that you wanted a Windows Phone?

I made the mistake of asking if they had any screen guards that fit as I was leaving. It started it all back up I think.

Camera definitely seems like an upgrade so far. Loving the phone. Verizon just needs to get 8.1 out now.

Paganmoon

Still no Cyan for the 1020 on DP (at least here in Sweden), so I'm gonna do restore/upgrade/DP, what settings is it that don't save with that procedure? Will I have to recreate my Live folders etc?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Cortana is a little too smart. I just got a reminder for a meeting at 1:30pm (in almost two hours) because it is in our Bristol office and it'll take me 1:39 to drive there, and it knows I'm at home.

n64coder

when I hooked mine up to a windows 8 pc, browsing folders just showed nothing. But when I tried importing into lightroom it found my photos just fine. I guess it is using PTP or MTP so the files aren't showing up in explorer?

I just tried and have no issues with Explorer. I'm running 8.1 DP on the phone and 8.1 desktop. I was able browse all of the folders (documents, photos, ringtones, etc) just fine.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Xbox Music still won't recognize my new albums. ModernMusic did the trick. It works sooo much better, even if it fails to recognize some cover art.

PG2G

Still no Cyan for the 1020 on DP (at least here in Sweden), so I'm gonna do restore/upgrade/DP, what settings is it that don't save with that procedure? Will I have to recreate my Live folders etc?

Live folders are a Update 1 thing, so to get them back you'd probably have to restore again after installing DP for Update 1 to retrieve your backup (without overwriting it when doing WP8/8.1)

? 930 is closer than that. 930/icon is basically a 1520 in a smaller body. 5" 1080p, 20MP OIS camera with raw support, will have denim, supports miracast etc.

ATT. Thanks for kicking me while I'm down.

I have been drooling over the 930 for months now :(

ElNino

Live folders are a Update 1 thing, so to get them back you'd probably have to restore again after installing DP for Update 1 to retrieve your backup (without overwriting it when doing WP8/8.1)
To not overwrite the backup, is that where it is advisable to sign in with a different account until you have updated all the way to 8.1 Update 1, and then reset the phone and sign in with the correct MS account?

PG2G

To not overwrite the backup, is that where it is advisable to sign in with a different account until you have updated all the way to 8.1 Update 1, and then reset the phone and sign in with the correct MS account?

No idea if that is necessary, it seems like itd be a sure fire way to prevent it though

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
ATT. Thanks for kicking me while I'm down.

I have been drooling over the 930 for months now :(

Yup :(

Wish o had some cash so I could just buy it outright from this place in Canada.

Well, it won't run on Telus' LTE so that kills that idea. Back to hoping for an 830 release.

Magni

Will today be the day we get some concrete info on US pricing/dates for the unlocked 735/830? I'm guessing not but please surprise me for once MS.

dLMN8R

Random suggestion time:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DGJJNVO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

This is an awesome little portable charger. Enough capacity to fully recharge my phone twice, and it's portable enough that it fits in a bag without you realizing it's there. Also charges fairly fast at 1A output. Super cheap too.

Pretty much saved me during PAX when the signal was terrible all day draining my battery very fast. And it works with any USB device.

Random suggestion time:

This is an awesome little portable charger. Enough capacity to fully recharge my phone twice, and it's portable enough that it fits in a bag without you realizing it's there. Also charges fairly fast at 1A output. Super cheap too.

Pretty much saved me during PAX when the signal was terrible all day draining my battery very fast. And it works with any USB device.

Cheers, just ordered one.

dLMN8R

Cheers, just ordered one.

A nice detail about it for me is that it comes with a really short USB cable that's micro on one side and full-sized on the other. So the same cable can be used to charge my phone as can be used to charge the device itself - just reverse the cable.

Random suggestion time:

Yeah I've noticed some friends and coworkers with these recently. I'm not in huge need thanks to the large 1520 battery, but at that price I'll probably get one anyway.

kazinova

I must be the last house on the route. I never get anything before 7:30pm...unless I have to sign for it, then it shows up at 11am while I'm at work.

Paganmoon

Damnit, so on Cyan with DP 8.1.1 now, but I didn't think of my bankID app, I have to reconnect it, and I can't find my code-key. Also noticed a lot of apps and games don't save their settings, but oh well, at least I'm on Cyan.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is there a way to turn on a battery percentage display instead if just the icon?

On the latest software, if you swipe down for the notifications, it shows you the percentage. Otherwise I use the 'battery' app which lets you have a live tile with percentage (tucked away in a live folder if you want it small)

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Thinking more about it. I could probably live with 4G HSPA+ which is supposed to reach 21mbps

The 930 is $630 on expansys

I thought about it a lot and ultimately decided against it. I have LTE just about everywhere I go, I don't want to give that up just because ms are being dicks and won't put out a compatible NA version.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Worth moving too? Specifically the screen and camera.

I'd say yes with caveats. The combination of 8.1 and the 930 feels more 'right' than it did with the 920, but that is hard to put a finger on.

The screen is better but not massively so. The larger size is good (the phone feels about the same size - I should out them together to compare). Sunlight readability is still good (great feature). It has double tap to wake but not glance model which I definitely miss but I'm managing. 1080p plus the slightly larger screen helps with three column layouts, but be aware that you're forced to use three columns - of the 920 I could choose but not on the higher res screen.

Camera is great but I haven't used it in anger yet. The living images are interesting (takes about a second of video before you press the shutter so it's like a wired Harry potter photo) but you can't view them in the gallery, only in the camera app.

Overall it feels a solid step up from the 920.

Cheers, I really like the 3 column layout but found some of the live tile text to be too small for the resolution.

What colour did you go for? And how is the battery life, similar?

kazinova

And just like that all my fears of refurbished purchases just came true. The 1520 arrived but the OIS was not happy with the journey. If I could get any decent pictures of the thing is consider dealing with it. Now to figure out the eBay seller's convoluted return/exchange process.

Sigh...

I do know that for me the size of the 1520 is perfect. Love it, want a working one so so bad.

Top Bottom