• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Anyone else get redirects to the app store when they visit here?

Thank god malware hasn't infected WP yet, lord knows what nefarious means await those poor souls on Viroid.

But seriously, yeah I get redirects when I first visit here each day.

Still rocking a 925.

dLMN8R

I bought Terraria, pleasantly surprised by the control scheme. Took a bit to get used to but my shelter is all set up and I can imagine spending a lot of time with this. My only gripe is that I don't think there's a way to place a crafted structure/item without putting it in your top quick-select inventory, but I don't think that'll be too big of a deal.

Also runs well on my 920. A few hitches here and there, nothing severe though. Hopefully it holds up on bigger levels and after playing for a while.

WP Central's thoughts:

http://www.wpcentral.com/terraria-finally-arrives-windows-phone-xbox-live-support

Most important part? Achievements, of course!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Cheers, I really like the 3 column layout but found some of the live tile text to be too small for the resolution.

What colour did you go for? And how is the battery life, similar?

I went for white, but was very tempted by the orange. Had a red 920 though so went conservative on this one. Works well with the brushed metal band. The black is nice too - the metal band is black on that one rather than silver

Battery life has been great so far, plenty of juice at the end of the day. Definitely seems better than my 920

Vyer

On the latest software, if you swipe down for the notifications, it shows you the percentage. Otherwise I use the 'battery' app which lets you have a live tile with percentage (tucked away in a live folder if you want it small)

Ah, excellent. Thanks.

f0lken

Soon my app wish list will be complete http://www.wpcentral.com/flipboard-windows-phone-spotted-store-you-cant-have-it-yet

Flipboard_Windows_Phone_lede.jpg

I went for white, but was very tempted by the orange. Had a red 920 though so went conservative on this one. Works well with the brushed metal band. The black is nice too - the metal band is black on that one rather than silver

Battery life has been great so far, plenty of juice at the end of the day. Definitely seems better than my 920

Seriously tempted, might see how much I could get for my 920.

n64coder

Need a PNC app bad.

The bank, right? Maybe think about switching to a different bank. Bank of America's WP app is pretty good. I use it for mobile check deposit a number of times.

Citibank & CapitalOne 360 don't have WP apps but their mobile site is decent. On the ipad, the CapitalOne360 app stunk. I had issues too many times trying to do mobile check deposit. It would force me to do the whole process over again which blows.

mm04

This update totally kills my battery. That seems to be par for the course with updates for me at first. Typically it has improved in the past over time. I'm hoping that happens again.

Paganmoon

After the Cyan "reset" and back to WP 8.1.1, the phone (1020) feels much smoother, and battery life seems much improved, could be placebo, but battery meter app I have seems to agree, I've got all the same apps as before (as per the restore), so it shouldn't be lower app usage.

I do miss having google as default search though, Bing results aren't nearly as useful as Google results.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Why not wait and see what Microsoft will do I think not having Lte is a big minus. . They really need to make Signature Windows Phone and sell them through their stores.

Yeah, I may need to be a bit patient. Plus my wife is not too keen on me getting a new phone right. Might be good to see what Nov or Dec will bring. How long has the 930 been put for? (not including the Icon)

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I must say, I really do like those new Cortana vs. Siri commercials. Especially because MS actually has the better digital assistant hands down. I miss her.

Renji_11

Need a PNC app bad.

I haven't used a Windows phone in awhile but the main site uses html 5 now so you should be able to log in and it should look like it does on the desktop pretty usable actually use it on the iphone sometimes because it has more bill paying options on the main site. No options such as mobile deposit though.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Why not wait and see what Microsoft will do I think not having Lte is a big minus. . They really need to make Signature Windows Phone and sell them through their stores.

I have a 930 which supports LTE locally but only a 3G contract through work :/

to be honest I don't notice it being that slow, but then I only really use it for web browsing and the occasional youtube clip. I'm not sure what really needs LTE speeds anyway?

Milchjon

I'm usually more into colorful phones, but after seeing the black 930 in person, I think I'm gonna love the black 830. Can't wait!

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Freaking imessage sucks . Nit only cause it sucked when I had an iPhone, but now that I don't, two weeks later I still can't receive group mms messages from iPhone users.

Freaking imessage sucks . Nit only cause it sucked when I had an iPhone, but now that I don't, two weeks later I still can't receive group mms messages from iPhone users.

Yeah I've had some friends switch off iPhones recently and have a devil of a time getting iMessage to stay "off" on their account so messages will actually come as SMS to their new phone.

Raistlin

So ... I'm thinking of switching to iOS or Android. Feels bad man.

Love the OS here so much, but that regression in their media apps plus the continued issues with 3rd party apps is making me reconsider sticking around.

kharma45

Love the OS here so much, but that regression in their media apps plus the continued issues with 3rd party apps is making me reconsider sticking around.

I won't judge you, that being said I do miss WP from time to time.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Whenever I think about going to iPhone I just think 'it's just a bunch of apps with no real integration'. I have an iPad which is great for individual standalone experiences. But I think I'd find that limiting on iPhone. I'm so used to the WP live tiles and customised layout I think. ios 8 might finally be interesting, with 3rd party keyboards, widgets and extensions so lastpass might work with safari and swype as a keyboard. But it just seems crazy to have taken so long - but then most people don't seem to mind

royalan

Same here.

I love Windows Phone.

But I'm really feeling the pain of the 635's limitations, and it still being the only option on t-mobile, and MS is taking its sweet ass time. I don't know if I can hold out...:(

Anytime I think about iPhone I think about the price. Then I go on eBay and bid on mint condition 1520's. I'm hoping I land one for less than $250 someday. Yeah, I'm good with Windows phone.

So I cracked my screen on my Verizon HTC 8X. It is barely readable, and so I am for sure getting a new phone (I am not spending $100 in insurance to replace this old of a phone). Between the HTC One and Lumia Icon, I much prefer the better camera (even though a MicroSD card slot would be useful) so Icon it is.

But I would like to see if I can find a deal somewhere to get it cheaper than buying it outright. My upgrade date is five months from now, and though I am eligible for the Edge program, I would like to see if I can find a cheap refurbished/used Icon and save my upgrade, on the chance that a much better high-end phone comes out by March next year.

Where can I find some good phone deals online for the Icon? It's either I find some good deals tonight, or I go to a Verizon store tomorrow and do the Edge thing.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Whenever I think about going to iPhone I just think 'it's just a bunch of apps with no real integration'. I have an iPad which is great for individual standalone experiences. But I think I'd find that limiting on iPhone. I'm so used to the WP live tiles and customised layout I think. ios 8 might finally be interesting, with 3rd party keyboards, widgets and extensions so lastpass might work with safari and swype as a keyboard. But it just seems crazy to have taken so long - but then most people don't seem to mind
Yea, I love it as well. Used my wifes iPhone for a few things today, and was just like.. damn.

I made my first list in OneNote... and then pinned it to start. That is awesome. It would be cool though if they made it a live tile and showed you something from what's inside the note, but not a big deal.

I do wonder what people use all the apps on IOS or android for? I had like 50 apps on my iPhone/iPad, but I hardly ever used any of them. I mainly just used mail, message, weather, Facebook and LinkedIn Pulse. I know, I'm easy, but if I need to do something ill do it on my computer. Like Lightroom, and PhotoShop, RDP into servers etc.

Commodore

Been weighing this for the past month or so as well. Been with Windows Phone for the last 4 years, still love the OS, love certain individual apps that I've used for years now. I don't really want to switch, and now with most of the options announced on the other sides, nothing really is an absolute must have for me. The Z3 is one of the cleanest and most practical Android phones I've seen in a while, good on Sony for sticking to their guns and making sure battery life was great over nearly imperceptible jumps in screen resolution. I like the Moto X, there's some style there, and some unique features. Apple didn't wow me either, and I was quickly becoming more open to getting another iPhone, but there wasn't much that I became crazy about, maybe if they'd had that sapphire screen that was rumored I would have jumped. But I just started a new job and they're giving me an iPhone 5c for a work phone, so I'll be fine using that for an iPhone for now.

So Android doesn't really speak to me, (Android L IS interesting though, the more the world gets flat design the better) I hate Samsung phones, mostly because of their bland design language across the board, from their skin to their hardware, but no mistaking they pack some serious tech in their handsets. Its so odd to find myself in a position of not really being excited about any one handset come upgrade time. The market usually has something very alluring around this time. But it's weird, you look at spec sheets and most phones these days are roughly the same, so any one company isn't really winning on specs alone. Most of the differentiating features are more about design, integration as a whole to other devices and services, app ecosystem and the way the OS works. I just wish I could have Nokia's camera, Apple's build design and ecosystem, Samsung's screens, and Windows Phone's OS. Still, I was at a Microsoft store the other day and I was complaining they didn't have a big flagship to upgrade to from my phone, and they were unusually coy about telling me to wait, that I wouldn't have to wait long, almost to a wink wink nudge nudge level of coy.

So I've basically decided to wait. My 920 is still kicking, though at two years its getting quirky and slow sometimes. As long as its working fine, its worth it for me to wait to see if MS has something substantial at the end of the year or the beginning of next year.

TL;DR I'm going to wait to upgrade because nobody has swayed me enough to switch from my Nokia 920. Though having an upgrade is a ticking time bomb to my sanity. Obligatory MS, plz!

MegalonJJ

Banned

Same situation.

Really like my current Lumia 800 (WP 7.8), but it's time to upgrade.

I'm still strongly considering the Lumia 930, but the Sony Z3 is edging it out. I was also considering the iPho---lol, just kidding.

I do really dig the WP user experience but for a 24 month contract the Z3 with Android looks like a better option. I'll holdout for reviews on the call quality though. The 930 is superior to the Z2 in that regard so unless Sony have improved it with the Z3, I'll swing back to the 930.

(Also, my Lumia 800 battery is diminishing...but it's been two years).

EDIT: Reading the above post, I'm tempted to wait a month to see if MS do announce a new handset...but once I'm in upgrade zone I don't think I'll be able to wait it out for long.

hadareud

The Translator
I'm sorry but that is not a phone.

They might as well put a SIM slot in a DSLR. Or in a car and call it the first driving phone.

Welp, I'd dropped my 925 numerous times and it always survived, but yesterday I dropped it directly onto a tile floor and it landed face-first. Screen is completely shattered (like, glass shards--had to put it in a bag), can't see anything.

Been long overdue for an upgrade and I really WANT to get the unlocked 930 but don't think I have the ~$600 for it. Considering experimenting and trying a 1520; otherwise I'll just use my 520 until the 830 is available.

Is there any way to delete all cloud sync data (but not from devices) to force them to sync again?

I'm having all kinda of issues syncing my windows devices and my phone, but I rather go to the pain at once rather than constantly have to do stuff on 2 or more devices that haven't synced.

Watevaman

Yea, 8.1 DP messed up a little bit of stuff on my Icon, so can someone say what I need to backup before I do a reset? I'm assuming everything that's not backed up gets wiped.

Top Bottom