• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The app fad was always going to be just that.

The vast majority of apps are absolutely useless and companies would be far, far better served to invest in web design and have better web apps. I have 150 or so apps on my phone and I'd be surprised if I used more than 30 on a regular basis. On a tablet this is even more true.

Games are a different story. I don't really play mobile games, but they are huge.

And WP is definitely lacking there.

Plenty of apps are almost literally just wrappers for mobile web sites. With my ipad I get frustrated installing apps that take up space on my home screens that frankly could just be in my browser favourites.

Like the idea of split screen multitasking. YouTube/twitch + neogaf for conferences (prefer that on a larger tablet though)

KageMaru

Windows Phone 9 Dev Preview could arrive in Jan 2015.

I wonder if they're confusing actionable notifications with actionable live tiles...although both would be great.

I really hope they have much more in store for their next major update. They probably have already missed their chance for success but if there is any hope still, it will all depend on how they manage the launch of WP9. They really fucked up with WP8 and 8.1, so it'll be interesting to see if they learned anything.

Well I guess I'll be selling my 1020 then.

Is it not worth holding onto for those times you don't need a quick camera and just want to take great pictures?

NeOak

I remember brot talking about the Note 3 and the 6 Plus:

There's no avoiding it: The Plus is even bigger than it looks. It's easier to acclimate to the Plus if you're already used to large phones, but even then, this is a massive piece of kit. Let's do a close comparison with the 5.7-inch Samsung Galaxy Note 3, for instance (I have a review unit handy, and the unreleased Note 4 has similar dimensions). The Plus is nearly 7mm taller, 1.4mm narrower and 1.2mm thinner than the Note. Both are huge, and their width can fatigue even the biggest of hands if you hold on long enough. When you have a big handset, your fingers need to secure a firm grip; the Note's straight, ridged sides and textured back make for a relatively easy grip. With the 6 Plus, though, those narrow, rounded edges feel sharper when the tips of your fingers are grasping on for dear life, and the aluminum is slipperier. I got used to the design, but it takes time.

As for the camera vs the 1020, S5 and One (M8):

So the iPhone 6 Plus held its own against nearly every major flagship in terms of low-light images, but how did it (and its 4.7-inch twin) fare in the daylight? Shots taken by the Lumia 1020 were far more detailed and had a slightly more accurate white balance and color representation outside; but while it did a fantastic job capturing the shadows, the highlights were typically more blown out than they were on the iPhone. The GS5 is a respectable contender in the daylight as well, offering more detail, but the iPhone generally produced more accurate colors. The G3 appears to be overexposed by default and the dynamic range is not as wide, so shadows are incredibly dark and whites are slightly blown out. Finally, the iPhone bested the HTC One in dynamic range, detail and color.

The iPhone camera may not always be the best in every circumstance, but it's consistently near the top in almost every scenario. The autofocus locks quickly; each shot contains all of the detail you'll need (unless you have to zoom in incredibly far); dynamic range is great; and color representation is sound. And although there weren't a lot of drastic improvements to the new iPhone cameras over the 5s, I know that if I need to snap a quick picture, it's going to turn out well.

When shopping for this vs other phones:

If you're looking at the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Plus, however, the competition is fiercer -- at least, if you care less about the OS and more about what you can do with the screen size. The Samsung Galaxy Note 4 is coming early next month, and since it'll have a 5.7-inch Quad HD display, it'll be a tad shorter, wider and thicker; however, it'll also have straight sides, which provide a firmer grip than the rounded edges on the 6 Plus. You can also get the LG G3, which has a higher-resolution 5.5-inch Quad HD display. Heck, if you're extremely adventurous, you could get a Lumia 1520, which is a 6-inch Windows Phone with even sharper edges than the Plus.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/16/iphone-6-and-6-plus-review/#continued

I told my ATT rep yesterday that if a 1030 were to be announced for ATT and not Verizon, I'd immediately switch haha. Doesn't hurt that it would cost me less to do that and move to an employee account than it would to stay with Verizon. $30/month to have 3GB? Fuck yeah.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I really hope they have much more in store for their next major update. They probably have already missed their chance for success but if there is any hope still, it will all depend on how they manage the launch of WP9. They really fucked up with WP8 and 8.1, so it'll be interesting to see if they learned anything.

8.1 was a massive update, but the rollout was disjointed and messy. They also lacked a lineup of phones, including a global hero phone, to launch with it.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The difference in tone for iPhone reviews are what make the difference, not to mention the final score, which are almost automatically higher than the competition. What I mean by tone is this: in both the Engadget and the Verge reviews, every time the author points out a flaw, it's almost always immediately followed by an apologetic "I'm just being nitpicky" or "you get used to it". Alternately, the author will defend the problem by pointing out some other feature that makes up for it. So, the new iPhone has ugly lines and an awkward camera hump that makes it wobble on a table, but you can just get a case. Conversely, the tone for android and windows phone reviews are the opposite, where a positive aspect is listed, then the review is quick to add a caveat. Not every reviewer, of course, but David Pierce is a perfect example of the tonal shift I'm referring to.

mm04

The difference in tone for iPhone reviews are what make the difference, not to mention the final score, which are almost automatically higher than the competition. What I mean by tone is this: in both the Engadget and the Verge reviews, every time the author points out a flaw, it's almost always immediately followed by an apologetic "I'm just being nitpicky" or "you get used to it". Alternately, the author will defend the problem by pointing out some other feature that makes up for it. So, the new iPhone has ugly lines and an awkward camera hump that makes it wobble on a table, but you can just get a case. Conversely, the tone for android and windows phone reviews are the opposite, where a positive aspect is listed, then the review is quick to add a caveat. Not every reviewer, of course, but David Pierce is a perfect example of the tonal shift I'm referring to.

It's pretty crazy that the cult of Apple is so strong. My parent's experience with their phones is funny. Both are 75+ in age. My dad has used an iPhone for at least 3 years. Has very little clue on how to really use it. My mom has a 925 (was her first mobile phone ever) and has become a texting fiend. Taking pics and sharing them etc. Participates in WhatsApp group chat. It's not as if she's more comfortable around technology, either. Dad's been using a laptop for years. Mom never touches it. I told my dad he should've switched to WP for ease of use, but nah...he wants what the cool kids have. Even at his age.

You don't bite the hand that feeds you. The day Apple had their event last week was the most successful week in terms of visitors (clicks clicks clicks!) since the Verge launched.

KageMaru

8.1 was a massive update, but the rollout was disjointed and messy. They also lacked a lineup of phones, including a global hero phone, to launch with it.

Exactly. 8.1 was a much need big update that got plenty of media exposure but they pissed it away by not having any hardware to get people excited, especially in the US.

I also believe many of the moves they made for 8.1 should have already happened when they launched 8.0. Instead they just re-released WP with minimal new features, same license fees, and hardware restrictions.

hadareud

The Translator
Yeah, the lack of hardware or rather how they release it is absolutely mind-boggling.

They drip feed new devices market by market and carrier by carrier with minimum marketing and exposure over ridiculously long time frames.

They released the Icon in the US last December with hardly any marketing and only on one network. The same phone was then released in the rest of the world under a different name more than half a year later and they still couldn't get it done everywhere at the same time. It's still only available on one network in the US.

The One is released in the US on one carrier, announced it for a few more "sometime later" and there's still not even a hint when it's coming to the rest of the world.

Their budget phones take months and months to release, same story with the mid-range (830/730).

If anything, it's a miracle that the sales haven't slumped much more than they have. There's a level of incompetence with these hardware releases that is absolutely ridiculous.

Didn't fully read the iPhone verge reviews yet, but I thought the "excellent battery life" for them was pretty hilarious.

*looks at the size of batteries in the iphones* nope.gif

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Well, CNET and Engadget battery tests seem to indicate that the battery life on the 6 is slighty worse than the 5s. Of course, David Pierce's review unit performed way better than any iPhone before it, a full day and a half battery life!

It reminded me of the iPhone 4 thread where posters swore that their specific phones did not suffer from antenna attenuation.

KageMaru

Yeah, the lack of hardware or rather how they release it is absolutely mind-boggling.

They drip feed new devices market by market and carrier by carrier with minimum marketing and exposure over ridiculously long time frames.

They released the Icon in the US last December with hardly any marketing and only on one network. The same phone was then released in the rest of the world under a different name more than half a year later and they still couldn't get it done everywhere at the same time. It's still only available on one network in the US.

The One is released in the US on one carrier, announced it for a few more "sometime later" and there's still not even a hint when it's coming to the rest of the world.

Their budget phones take months and months to release, same story with the mid-range (830/730).

If anything, it's a miracle that the sales haven't slumped much more than they have. There's a level of incompetence with these hardware releases that is absolutely ridiculous.

I agree with you but the Icon didn't come out until the end of February.

TylerD

TL;DR I'm going to wait to upgrade because nobody has swayed me enough to switch from my Nokia 920. Though having an upgrade is a ticking time bomb to my sanity. Obligatory MS, plz!

I will have an upgrade come November and my 920 with 8.1 is making me want to hold on to it. I was thinking iPhone 6 but then I keep picking up my work iPhone 5 and look at the bland and boring UI and it is hard for me to justify it.

Nero3000

Gruber's post on iWatch was typically gruber.

Makes some salient points back by reasonable analysis, but then his conclusion is its made by Apple, who cannot produce a dud, so it must be a winner.

Well, CNET and Engadget battery tests seem to indicate that the battery life on the 6 is slighty worse than the 5s. Of course, David Pierce's review unit performed way better than any iPhone before it, a full day and a half battery life!

It reminded me of the iPhone 4 thread where posters swore that their specific phones did not suffer from antenna attenuation.
If you didn't use the phone at all, maybe.

ElNino

such bullshit. my 1020 needs it BAD!
What your 1020 needs is a better and faster CPU.
can I download that from napster?
There's probably an app for that.
Only available for the iPhone.
Ok, that was a funny sequence of posts.

The iPhone 6 Plus hype has done something for me though, it's made me want the 1520 all of a sudden. I have an unlocked 1520.3 (RM-938) ready to buy... which is not something I figured I would be interested in. The only thing holding me back is that I've never seen one in person (since they were never released here). What phone woul d be the most similar in size that I would be able to fondle in store somewhere? Note 3 or one of the Experia phones?

NeOak

The iPhone 6 Plus hype has done something for me though, it's made me want the 1520 all of a sudden. I have an unlocked 1520.3 (RM-938) ready to buy... which is not something I figured I would be interested in. The only thing holding me back is that I've never seen one in person (since they were never released here). What phone woul d be the most similar in size that I would be able to fondle in store somewhere? Note 3 or one of the Experia phones?

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_note_3_vs_nokia_lumia_1520-review-1027.php

Doffen

Great news everyone!

Age of Empires: Castle Siege

8c3cd7e1-71da-4d03-ac22-9ba05b3f68c9

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
The 830 got announced for Canada! Not sure what carriers, but I expect Telus and Rogers. Not sure what to do, I still kind of want to get the 930 unlocked, but that will be more pricey.

I haven't really looked at any other phablets, but fyi a couple things I like about the 1520 that help with the size are the curved back and the camera bump. Gives you a little bit more grip and balance on the phone.

Magni

ATT already announced the 830 but have yet to reveal a release date and price.

What about Microsoft announcing it? Fuck I hate how powerful the carriers are in this country :(

If Microsoft wants to gain marketshare, how about letting people buy the damn phones?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
What about Microsoft announcing it? Fuck I hate how powerful the carriers are in this country :(

If Microsoft wants to gain marketshare, how about letting people buy the damn phones?

They whored out the 6xx/7xx during the every Simpsons marathon.

The 830 got announced for Canada! Not sure what carriers, but I expect Telus and Rogers. Not sure what to do, I still kind of want to get the 930 unlocked, but that will be more pricey.

My guess is $400 off-contract and free on a 2-year. It better not be carrier-exclusive.

MarkusRJR

Holy shit the Lumia 830 is coming to Canada! I know I shouldn't get so excited over a mid-range phone but I've been waiting for a decent device to upgrade to for months now. Hopefully it comes to Telus.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit the Lumia 830 is coming to Canada! I know I shouldn't get so excited over a mid-range phone but I've been waiting for a decent device to upgrade to for months now. Hopefully it comes to Telus.

It's specs are comparable to the iPhone 6, kinda..

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Nope. Don't believe those cherry-picked shots, the camera is truly awful. There are a million reasons to own an HTC One, and only one good reason not to. There is no sense justifying it, if you buy it, like I did, you just have to accept the worst camera of any flagship smartphone of the past two or three years.

Top Bottom