• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I might have told this story already, but when I bought the Samsung Focus S a few years ago, my coworker held the phone and made a comment about not liking plastic phones. He owned an iPhone 3gs at the time.......

Cult is a strong word, but it certainly applies to some Apple fans.

Razdek

Banned
I am. I'm going to do a full reset and see what happens. The phone has been pretty buggy that past few months; apps store not loading, camera not working, people saying my voice sounds faint on the phone.Maybe a reset will help.

I tried a reset to see if it would get rid of the horrible battery life but it didn't. Still get lots of loading screens and apps not opening up here and again. Waiting for a firmware from HTC that will probably never come.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'm looking at the Verge feature article where they took the new iPhones and went on location to Iceland. I'm unimpressed. The shots lack detail, the 1020 would've blown it away. Then again, you apparently need a six month photography course to take good shots with the 1020 so it's a wash.

MCD

I giggle every time I see a WP in Tokyo. It's a shame Google Maps is not available because third party apps offer no navigation but oh well, I'm getting by just fine asking hotel and officers at stations.

Surface situation is much better though. Lots of shops like soft map, yodobashi and bic camera have plenty of space and accessories for it. And I saw many people use it around trains. MS could boost it further if they bought that kancole boat girls game or whatever and release a Surface phone instead of a Lumia.

P.S. That Kancole flash game is as big as Minecraft here. And Since W8 support flash natively, W8 tablets are popular here. Don't know why MS isn't taking advantage of this.

I'm looking at the Verge feature article where they took the new iPhones and went on location to Iceland. I'm unimpressed. The shots lack detail, the 1020 would've blown it away. Then again, you apparently need a six month photography course to take good shots with the 1020 so it's a wash.

I love how they claim you need professional photographer to make 1020 pictures look good but the verge turn around and hire professional photographer to make Apple iPhone pictures look better.

Too bad Microsoft could have 1020 successor to go head on with Apple i6 camera but they decided to launch Mid-range phone instead.

MCD

I am not a pro at all and I only need to press the camera button to take a shot like this:

702SurF.jpg

And this is on auto settings and not the high res version.

P.S. I just selected the last pic I took lol. Don't blame me if it looks awful.

clav

Any of you guys use Gmail for your e-mail account?

How is your experience with CalDAV and syncing mail, contacts, and calendar?

JaggedSac

I am not a pro at all and I only need to press the camera button to take a shot like this:

And this is on auto settings and not the high res version.

P.S. I just selected the last pic I took lol. Don't blame me if it looks awful.

Whatever settings you have it on is producing some hellacious compression artifacts.

n64coder

Any of you guys use Gmail for your e-mail account?

How is your experience with CalDAV and syncing mail, contacts, and calendar?

I do. It works. The only issue I found is that your contacts need to have a type next to the phone number (i.e, mobile, home, work) or email address (i.e, home, work) or it won't show up in the contact info on the phone. I think Gmail by default doesn't have any type next to email or phone.

f0lken

Is the 1020 with cyan really that much better than regular 8.1 update with dev preview??

Because I am willing to do a full restore, yesterday I needed to shoot some photos and suddenly the camera was unbereable slow, I am not talking about the usual delay between photos on the 1020, but something like 45 secs or even more than a minute to start, and between I press the shutter and the actual photo was taken was like 5-6 secs, plus other 30-40 for the photo to be processed. I ended recording video because I was so frustrated.

And that only started happening a couple of days ago but never like yesterday.

MCD

Is the 1020 with cyan really that much better than regular 8.1 update with dev preview??

Because I am willing to do a full restore, yesterday I needed to shoot some photos and suddenly the camera was unbereable slow, I am not talking about the usual delay between photos on the 1020, but something like 45 secs or even more than a minute to start, and between I press the shutter and the actual photo was taken was like 5-6 secs, plus other 30-40 for the photo to be processed. I ended recording video because I was so frustrated.

Is your memory full? My Lumia got all glitchy and slow as fuck after filling it with like 20 gigs of images.

f0lken

Is your memory full? My Lumia got all glitchy and slow as fuck after filling it with like 20 gigs of images.

Yes, I have like 2GB free, I am already downloading Nokia Software Updater so I will install cyan anyway, but in the meantime I'll try deleting stuff to see what happens

I've been reviewing camera samples for the 1520 (which probably has the exact same camera module as the 930/Icon), and I think I can probably get away with shooting with only 5MP JPEG files as output. Would that make things any faster, aside from Lumia Denim?

15GB extra onedrive space for windows phone users, courtesy of the ios8 launch :)

I keep thinking I have too much OneDrive space. That's, like, what, 40GB permanent storage for me? (I've been a user since the early SkyDrive days, so I got 25GB to begin with.) Makes me wonder what I should fill it with, seeing as even automatic photo uploads doesn't even bring my total to 1 GB.

It's better but that must be because you either have too many photos or are nearing no space left. I'm not sure which of the two is the cause yet, because they are always coupled together for me, but it happens every time on my 1020 too.

The good news is that even in that scenario Cyan handles better. The delays while using the camera will be there but they are manageable. Before the refresh I barely could use my phone to take pictures when it was full.

Milchjon

Does the storage make such a difference?

I'm down to about one Gig, and I'd love to get speed improvements. Feels like I'm waiting 3 seconds for the camera...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I keep thinking I have too much OneDrive space. That's, like, what, 40GB permanent storage for me? (I've been a user since the early SkyDrive days, so I got 25GB to begin with.) Makes me wonder what I should fill it with, seeing as even automatic photo uploads doesn't even bring my total to 1 GB.

start connecting it to your computer and backing up photos from there, or documents.

I use dropbox for my documents and the peace of mind knowing I haven't forgotten to back things up is really good to have. But now I back my photos up to onedrive - about 25GB and growing

(I have 1TB because of an office 365 subscription. I really should consider backing up my entire PC image to the cloud..)

MCD

Does the storage make such a difference?

I'm down to about one Gig, and I'd love to get speed improvements. Feels like I'm waiting 3 seconds for the camera...

Yup. I unloaded all my photos on USB thumb and my phone is like brand new.

830 release date announced for UK. Still no release date from ATT. The longer the wait the higher the probability of physical changes; Microsoft branding, ATT requested changes like removal of qi compatibility. Fuk.

f0lken

It's better but that must be because you either have too many photos or are nearing no space left. I'm not sure which of the two is the cause yet, because they are always coupled together for me, but it happens every time on my 1020 too.

The good news is that even in that scenario Cyan handles better. The delays while using the camera will be there but they are manageable. Before the refresh I barely could use my phone to take pictures when it was full.

I can semi-confirm that it is related to space, I always have auto uploads turn on so I always delete my photos from the phone after selecting a couple of RAW files to edit, but this time I filled my phone with movies and I deleted stuff until I had 15GB free and my phone started acteing decent again.

I am now on cyan anyway lol

hadareud

The Translator
300 quid is too much. To be fair, usually the prices are a bit lower at other vendors.

Either way, after all the talk about aggressive pricing the prices are decidedly un-aggressive.

300 quid is too much. To be fair, usually the prices are a bit lower at other vendors.

Either way, after all the talk about aggressive pricing the prices are decidedly un-aggressive.

Indeed. I would only go for the 830 if it was £250. Even with that, the 930 at £340 is a much better (value) phone.

hadareud

The Translator
Yeah, I think 250 to 270 would have been a great price.

That said, the 350 pounds for the 930 is a special offer, the standard price is closer to 400. Wouldn't be shocked to see something similar for the 830 after they've released it.

edit:eek:r what mrklaw said.

So it looks like the 930 might be the one for me, although I wish HTC would hurry up and announce the M8 outside of the US because it will be around £300 based on the Euro pricing.

hwalker84

My 1520 is a massive buggy mess right now. I'm not sure if its the screen replacement or something else.

I keep losing touch
My phone will sometimes launch Cortana itself because the phone thinks i'm holding the search button
The back button will do the same thing
The top of the screen (inbetween the front facing camera and Nokia logo) will register as the back button.
I can tap my finger on the lower back of the phone and get it to register either home or the back button.

Lucius86

Banned
With no new announcements on the horizon it appears, I've decided to leave Windows Phone for my personal smartphone device. I've enjoyed using it, but the lack of new top-end handsets and staleness with the platform has made me jump ship.

I've pre-ordered the Z3. It should be arriving in a week.

Fortunately I can still keep in the Windows Phone loop as my work phone is now a Lumia 635 - so my annual Windows Phone app updates can continue.

It's been an interesting experience the last 2 years. Cortana was cool, but her UK release has been pretty painful.

Brot, this is mostly your fault.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
With no new announcements on the horizon it appears, I've decided to leave Windows Phone for my personal smartphone device. I've enjoyed using it, but the lack of new top-end handsets and staleness with the platform has made me jump ship.

I've pre-ordered the Z3. It should be arriving in a week.

Fortunately I can still keep in the Windows Phone loop as my work phone is now a Lumia 635 - so my annual Windows Phone app updates can continue.

It's been an interesting experience the last 2 years. Cortana was cool, but her UK release has been pretty painful.

Brot, this is mostly your fault.

Any reason why you didn't get the 930?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So it looks like the 930 might be the one for me, although I wish HTC would hurry up and announce the M8 outside of the US because it will be around £300 based on the Euro pricing.

£350 for the 930 on offer, plus free portable wireless charging plate (they are really nice), and free wireless speaker. Not bad.

Anyone had problems syncing their gmail accounts to their phone? Since I got the 8.1 update it doesn't work. I deleted it then tried to add it again but it takes me to google to authorise everything, once I enter my details it just takes me to a blank white screen.

I've had to sync that email address via IMAP but unfortunately that doesn't transfer my contacts over.

Lucius86

Banned
Any reason why you didn't get the 930?

It's a very nice handset, but I was holding out for a seemingly non-existent Lumia 1030. I got a bit tired of the loud and proud colours of the Lumia brand truth be told, I wanted something a little more...elegant.

After playing around with my girlfriends Z2 for a few months I started to miss some of the features Android brings to the table. I get frustrated that my car's bluetooth doesn't play nice with Windows Phone, but her phone it's absolutely fine. I think Bing Maps is utterly useless compared to Google (and no official Google apps on Windows Phone is a terrible, terrible decision for end users). I want a phone I can just use every day without worries - Windows Phone does the basics so so well, but the moment you try to do something unusual it often struggles.

I can still get my O365 on Android, along with OneDrive camera roll auto-sync. When I bought my Lumia 920, this was not the case. Some of the USP of Windows Phone has disappeared over time, with Cortana being the only big one left.

It's more to do with the OS than the handset, but I do think the Z3 looks like sex, and is waterproof. With Windows Phone, its the Lumia 930, the M8 (which is a poor copy of the Android version it appears), or bust.

I think it's the right handset for me. Time will tell if I made the right choice.

Anyone had problems syncing their gmail accounts to their phone? Since I got the 8.1 update it doesn't work. I deleted it then tried to add it again but it takes me to google to authorise everything, once I enter my details it just takes me to a blank white screen.

I've had to sync that email address via IMAP but unfortunately that doesn't transfer my contacts over.

Weird I use gmail and it syncs fine. I cant get my work email to work anymore though which really sucks.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It's a very nice handset, but I was holding out for a seemingly non-existent Lumia 1030. I got a bit tired of the loud and proud colours of the Lumia brand truth be told, I wanted something a little more...elegant.

After playing around with my girlfriends Z2 for a few months I started to miss some of the features Android brings to the table. I get frustrated that my car's bluetooth doesn't play nice with Windows Phone, but her phone it's absolutely fine. I think Bing Maps is utterly useless compared to Google (and no official Google apps on Windows Phone is a terrible, terrible decision for end users). I want a phone I can just use every day without worries - Windows Phone does the basics so so well, but the moment you try to do something unusual it often struggles.

I can still get my O365 on Android, along with OneDrive camera roll auto-sync. When I bought my Lumia 920, this was not the case. Some of the USP of Windows Phone has disappeared over time, with Cortana being the only big one left.

It's more to do with the OS than the handset, but I do think the Z3 looks like sex, and is waterproof. With Windows Phone, its the Lumia 930, the M8 (which is a poor copy of the Android version it appears), or bust.

I think it's the right handset for me. Time will tell if I made the right choice.

Black and white model 930s are not loud and proud at all.

Z3 looks great though

Lucius86

Banned
Black and white model 930s are not loud and proud at all.

Z3 looks great though

True, they are not. But by not having a bright green/orange phone I feel like I am missing out on what the Lumia brand has been designed to be. In white, it definitely isn't as elegant looking as the Z3. To my eyes at least.

Top Bottom