• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

f0lken

Nope. Don't believe those cherry-picked shots, the camera is truly awful. There are a million reasons to own an HTC One, and only one good reason not to. There is no sense justifying it, if you buy it, like I did, you just have to accept the worst camera of any flagship smartphone of the past two or three years.

Is a 920 camera better?

My 1020 contract expires on december so I hope 1030's rumours of being fast tracked are true, otherwise I feel like going iPhone 6 plus because of how great they keep their value and then sell it when (if?) MS announces a 1030.

And I hope it has a narrow depth of view than the 1020, that is the one thing I miss from my 920, I could focus on things really really close, and with the 1020 I have to be at least 12cm away, granted I can zoom and get grat results but still.

MarkusRJR

Do we know how good/bad the Lumia 830 camera is?

EDIT: Turns out none of the Lumia 830 models have Telus's LTE bands. Basically that means it could only go to Rogers or Bell. Probably a Rogers exclusive knowing Nokia. God damn, guess I have to move back to android or get a Lumia 635 at this rate.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Do we know how good/bad the Lumia 830 camera is?

EDIT: Turns out none of the Lumia 830 models have Telus's LTE bands. Basically that means it could only go to Rogers or Bell. Probably a Rogers exclusive knowing Nokia. God damn, guess I have to move back to android or get a Lumia 635 at this rate.

Hmmm, you sure about that?? I'm currently on Rogers, but I have been meaning to move to Telus.

The camera should be very good. I still take good shots with my 920, so the 830 should be much better.

MarkusRJR

Hmmm, you sure about that?? I'm currently on Rogers, but I have been meaning to move to Telus.

The camera should be very good. I still take good shots with my 920, so the 830 should be much better.
I'm gonna wait for an official announcement, since there is still a chance they'll have a specific Canadian model (a very slim one, but I can hope). Telus uses 1700/2100, and the Lumia 830 only has the 2100 LTE band. If there's no Telus model, I'm going to be going for a Lumia 635 or a Blackberry 10 device (used my dad's Z10 for a few months and really enjoyed it).

Also, I definitely recommend Telus over Rogers. Much better customer service, although that's not really saying much. Rogers is the main Windows Phone carrier though, so unless you're looking to change platforms it'd be best to stay with Rogers. It'd be like moving from Verizon to a different carrier when you're a Windows Phone user.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
One thing I hate about Rogers is when I go back to Saskatchewan the phone is almost useless. If there is no Telus model I'm going to buy the 930 unlocked I think even though I wont get full LTE.

kazinova

You don't have to wait for carriers to have phones if you stop using the major carriers.

I test drove StraightTalk with the 1520, it works as advertised $45/month for unlimited on whatever network you want. The only limiting factor is whether or not you get coverage where you live but it lets you try whatever you want.

Sadly I'm back on my 920 while I RMA the 1520. When did this phone get so absurdly small...

Got an email from the MS Store advertising an unlocked 635 for $250. I remember they also had the 1020 unlocked, so maybe they'll stock the 830.

Magni

Got an email from the MS Store advertising an unlocked 635 for $250. I remember they also had the 1020 unlocked, so maybe they'll stock the 830.

Why would they not? That's what I don't understand, why would MS not sell their own phones? You can buy an iPhone straight from Apple, you can buy a Nexus straight from Google. Why wouldn't you be able to buy a Lumia straight from Microsoft?

MarkusRJR

So I turned on my broken 625 to test out 8.1. Looks really nice, apart from longer "resuming" times between apps. Two questions:

-Can you disable the swiping keyboard? I used the keyboard for a minute or two to type something and it turned into a mess (I used to type really fast on 8.0). I'm sure I'd get used to it, but I don't like swiping keyboards.

-Why is there 3 white indicators on the screen (showing where the buttons are) always displayed when watching videos or playing games? Having 3 white line on the screen for no reason is really annoying. I'd understand if it was a 635 and when you pushed the indicators the on-screen buttons went full size or something, but the 625 has hardware buttons so there is no reason for these indicators to be here. Can I disable it?

Why would they not? That's what I don't understand, why would MS not sell their own phones? You can buy an iPhone straight from Apple, you can buy a Nexus straight from Google. Why wouldn't you be able to buy a Lumia straight from Microsoft?
Apple has the carriers by the balls, so they have to give in. Google eventually started putting the Nexus as an unlocked product, then adding them to carriers after the fact.. Nokia is basically at the mercy of carriers. Their agreements to buy more devices usually come with exclusivity clauses. The obvious assumption as to why Nokia goes for carrier exclusives is because Rogers/Verizon offer to buy more of them than they would have by going to all carriers with no exclusivity.

So I turned on my broken 625 to test out 8.1. Looks really nice, apart from longer "resuming" times between apps. Two questions:

-Can you disable the swiping keyboard? I used the keyboard for a minute or two to type something and it turned into a mess (I used to type really fast on 8.0). I'm sure I'd get used to it, but I don't like swiping keyboards.

-Why is there 3 white indicators on the screen (showing where the buttons are) always displayed when watching videos or playing games? Having 3 white line on the screen for no reason is really annoying. I'd understand if it was a 635 and when you pushed the indicators the on-screen buttons went full size or something, but the 625 has hardware buttons so there is no reason for these indicators to be here. Can I disable it?

1. Check Settings > Keyboard > (keyboard language). You can turn it off there.

2. It is probably part of 8.1U1 seeing as it is toggleable on the One for Windows. It will probably be fixed when Denim comes.

today I've been to s press Meeting with some european Heads of State and it was quite interesting to see that there were a lot of Lumias there. I actually saw more Lumias than iPhones. My 930 was the newest model though ;)

Magni

Apple has the carriers by the balls, so they have to give in. Google eventually started putting the Nexus as an unlocked product, then adding them to carriers after the fact.. Nokia is basically at the mercy of carriers. Their agreements to buy more devices usually come with exclusivity clauses. The obvious assumption as to why Nokia goes for carrier exclusives is because Rogers/Verizon offer to buy more of them than they would have by going to all carriers with no exclusivity.

Can we all agree that that assumption was wrong? looks at US/CA marketshare

MS Store needs an unlocked "Nexus" Lumia device.

Yep for all devices.

Exactly.

dLMN8R

Jesus every time I get an iOS update I have a renewed appreciation for Windows and Windows Phone updates.

Windows 7: faster than Vista
Windows 8: faster than 7
Windows 8.1: faster than 8

Windows Phone 7.5: faster than 7
Windows Phone 7.8: faster than 7.5

Windows Phone 8.1: faster than 8
Windows Phone 8.1 GDR1: faster than 8.1

Now I just installed iOS 8 on my latest-generation iPod Touch, and the thing feels like I'm using a last generation device. Everything is totally sluggish. Things take an extra second or two to load consistently. Control Center and Notification Center are choppy as hell when they respond, but usually they're just unresponsive.

I'm not even making use of any new features yet. No apps I have are using widgets, extra keyboards, or whatever else. I'm doing basically identical things with it.

The obvious answer is "forced obsolescence to get you to buy something new" but in this case there isn't even something new for me to buy. I have literally the fastest iPod Touch available, and half of its storage is free. It's just shit software development practices.

You'd think they would have improved since these days, but I guess not.

MarkusRJR

Can we all agree that that assumption was wrong? looks at US/CA marketshare
I said the carriers buy the phones, not consumers. Motorola iirc went Rogers exclusive in Canada on the Moto X because Rogers were willing to purchase more units (to go ship to their stores/warehouse) than they would have sold to all of the carriers otherwise. I have to assume it's the same with Nokia.

Trust me, I absolutely hate this strategy because it limits audience. As someone who likes Windows Phone, it limits my options to the point where I had to move platforms.

They go exclusive because the carrier agrees to pay a portion of the marketing cost.
Also this too.

KageMaru

I imagine they go carrier exclusive because these carriers wouldn't sell the phones otherwise. Assistance with marketing or anything else wouldn't make up for the difference in sales earned if their phones launched everywhere on the same day.

I see it like this:

Microsoft/HTC: We're getting our own version of the One but running Windows.

Verizon: Great! However we won't carry it unless we get an exclusive window first.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Got a SIM adapter and I'm on my 1020 again. Dat camera! Also, the keyboard is miles better than the google keyboard. Also, Cortana reminded me to feed the dog when I got home.

On the negative side, there are some key apps, like my home security one, that I've grown accustomed to having. And I've decided I'm getting a wearable, so I'll be back on the One soon enough.

Yes, basically. I was talking to a manager at the Microsoft Store at WEM, and they said that they aren't allowed to sell a lot of their devices unlocked because of the carriers blocking them. They're trying to get that changed, though, with the CRTC.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, basically. I was talking to a manager at the Microsoft Store at WEM, and they said that they aren't allowed to sell a lot of their devices unlocked because of the carriers blocking them. They're trying to get that changed, though, with the CRTC.

Interesting. The carriers are such a pain in the ass.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't realize that the flip cover/case for the 830 actually replaces the back cover so you maintain the slim design. Very cool.

Got a SIM adapter and I'm on my 1020 again. Dat camera! Also, the keyboard is miles better than the google keyboard. Also, Cortana reminded me to feed the dog when I got home.

On the negative side, there are some key apps, like my home security one, that I've grown accustomed to having. And I've decided I'm getting a wearable, so I'll be back on the One soon enough.

I try to go back to 1020 but the last update cause the long app loading screen to come back even unlocking phone to home screen take a few seconds.

Also few things I noticed is Bluetooth connect faster and easier on my Oneplus not sure if tbh is hardware or software and I also got acustom to a few apps that are not on Windows Phone.

Thing I do miss is the camera and app interface are way better on Windows even if the apps have less features. Cortana is much better than Google Now and I really miss thing like text reading and WiFi sense and auto WiFi connection at my work without constant signing in.

As for Keyboard I am using SwiftKey and it is nicer than Android stock keyboard.

Sigh finally Windows Phone have a great full featured OS but no phones to take full advantage of it.

Doffen

eKIVldC.png

Windows Phone saved!

Magni

They go exclusive because the carrier agrees to pay a portion of the marketing cost.

This is Microsoft we're talking about, not BLU. They can clearly afford the marketing. Nokia didn't have such luxury, but Microsoft can do whatever they want money-wise.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I try to go back to 1020 but the last update cause the long app loading screen to come back even unlocking phone to home screen take a few seconds.

Also few things I noticed is Bluetooth connect faster and easier on my Oneplus not sure if tbh is hardware or software and I also got acustom to a few apps that are not on Windows Phone.

Thing I do miss is the camera and app interface are way better on Windows even if the apps have less features. Cortana is much better than Google Now and I really miss thing like text reading and WiFi sense and auto WiFi connection at my work without constant signing in.

As for Keyboard I am using SwiftKey and it is nicer than Android stock keyboard.

Agree with the Bluetooth, the One connects much more consistently to my car, though it's still not perfect. I had to switch the sim card back, but for purely hardware reasons. I'm conducting interviews and needed the excellent speakers on the One for a conference call and also needed the extra battery life.

ElNino

Agree with the Bluetooth, the One connects much more consistently to my car, though it's still not perfect. I had to switch the sim card back, but for purely hardware reasons. I'm conducting interviews and needed the excellent speakers on the One for a conference call and also needed the extra battery life.
I find Bluetootch connections vary depending on what I'm using. In my Honda Odyssey, my wife's iPhone connects right away where as my 1020 will sometimes take a minute (or I need to do it manually). In my Nisan Altima however, the 1020 connects immediately and sometimes even before I'm in the car (if I've started it remotely).

All of my speakers and headsets seem to connect quickly as well.

This is Microsoft we're talking about, not BLU. They can clearly afford the marketing. Nokia didn't have such luxury, but Microsoft can do whatever they want money-wise.
No matter how much money Microsoft has, they still can't bully the carriers to sell their phones.

Can somebody tell me if it's possible to get the mid/large sized Facebook tile to show just the Facebook logo rather than my background/banner/whatever that large image on your profile is called.

royale

José Mourinho;130812725 said:
Can somebody tell me if it's possible to get the mid/large sized Facebook tile to show just the Facebook logo rather than my background/banner/whatever that large image on your profile is called.

I just tried this within the Facebook Beta app I don't think there is a way.

The only other way I could think of was downloading a 3rd party app like Transparency Tiles and adding the Facebook tile from there. I don't believe it's a true "live" tile however.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
For those of you in the UK that bought a 930 since 1st August, Microsoft are reintroducing the offer where you get a free wireless charging plate and wireless speaker. Just go to http://lumia930offer.co.uk and enter your IMEI. this should also be the case for anyone buying a 930 from now until the end of the year.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
A Lumia 525. It felt strange to be at the cutting-edge very soon, at least on WP. (The 525 is serviceable, but I've found out that I started craving for more out of a smartphone. At least it was an improvement over my last phone.)

ok, so first all the apps will work properly :)

Build quality is really nice on the high end lumias too. Lovely curved glass screen and aluminium trim.

You will be forced to use 3 columns of tiles because of the 1080p screen, so that might take some getting used to.

Then if this is the first time you'll have 8.1, start playing with the new features. I really like the transparent tiles with a background photo showing through.

hitgirl

Anyone had the HTC 8x camera just go out on them? When it hit the camera button it pops up to a white screen then goes back to my homescreen, tried updating my phone and everything. I think I might have sat on the phone and broke the camera, but was wondering if this was a common problem.

Razdek

Banned
Anyone had the HTC 8x camera just go out on them? When it hit the camera button it pops up to a white screen then goes back to my homescreen, tried updating my phone and everything. I think I might have sat on the phone and broke the camera, but was wondering if this was a common problem.

Hasn't happened to my 8X. Are you on the 8.1 Dev preview?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
is there any negative effect by charging slowly? with my wireless charging plate connected to my laptop dock, the battery app is showing it charging at around 5% per hour. Alternatively if I connect it to the mains charger it came with, it charges at 18% per hour. Way faster but it takes up a power socket and I would prefer to use that charger for my wife's android in the living room.

Considering the phone will be sitting on the charger most of the day when it isn't being used - is either method better or worse?

is there any negative effect by charging slowly? with my wireless charging plate connected to my laptop dock, the battery app is showing it charging at around 5% per hour. Alternatively if I connect it to the mains charger it came with, it charges at 18% per hour. Way faster but it takes up a power socket and I would prefer to use that charger for my wife's android in the living room.

Considering the phone will be sitting on the charger most of the day when it isn't being used - is either method better or worse?

Won't matter in the long run. Just charge your phone as fast as possible.

hitgirl

Hasn't happened to my 8X. Are you on the 8.1 Dev preview?

I am. I'm going to do a full reset and see what happens. The phone has been pretty buggy that past few months; apps store not loading, camera not working, people saying my voice sounds faint on the phone.Maybe a reset will help.

Top Bottom