• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

My 920 is just noticeably slower all around. It's a bit embarrassing, really. So much loading, tiles that aren't loaded because it's moving too fast. Hell, even the "performance update" for Modern Mayor has led to a consistently sluggish 15 fps or worse. Certainly there's an update I should be waiting for to improve on this, right? Right?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
My 920 had been pretty good since Cyan. I'm not on the Dev preview. I get some resuming screens, but no tile issues. Maybe it is the apps I use?

Razdek

Banned
With no new announcements on the horizon it appears, I've decided to leave Windows Phone for my personal smartphone device. I've enjoyed using it, but the lack of new top-end handsets and staleness with the platform has made me jump ship.

I've pre-ordered the Z3. It should be arriving in a week.

Fortunately I can still keep in the Windows Phone loop as my work phone is now a Lumia 635 - so my annual Windows Phone app updates can continue.

It's been an interesting experience the last 2 years. Cortana was cool, but her UK release has been pretty painful.

Brot, this is mostly your fault.

WP makes a decent secondary handset but I can never user it as my primary one because of my requirement. I agree this lack of new decent hjgh-end phones is getting ridiculous.

MCD

MS will not release a high end phone because they are too scared of iPhone 6 and Galaxy whatever.

Pussies.

I can semi-confirm that it is related to space, I always have auto uploads turn on so I always delete my photos from the phone after selecting a couple of RAW files to edit, but this time I filled my phone with movies and I deleted stuff until I had 15GB free and my phone started acteing decent again.

I am now on cyan anyway lol

That's great, I'm on trip and good wifi is being unreliable, so my pictures aren't uploading, but I do have some very big videos I made... Gonna try freeing up some space then.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
My 1520 is a massive buggy mess right now. I'm not sure if its the screen replacement or something else.

I keep losing touch
My phone will sometimes launch Cortana itself because the phone thinks i'm holding the search button
The back button will do the same thing
The top of the screen (inbetween the front facing camera and Nokia logo) will register as the back button.
I can tap my finger on the lower back of the phone and get it to register either home or the back button.

It has to be the screen replacement. I used the same company as you years ago and had better results, though your story makes it more likely I'll just sell my 1520 instead of getting it fixed.

Magni

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/press/2014/sep14/09-04nokiapr.aspx

Lumia 830 will begin rolling out globally this month

Smart of them to use the word "begin", gives them an out to not sell the 830 in the US until Q2 2015.

If there's no info on unlocked availability in the US by the end of the month I'm gonna jump ship, this is ridiculous.

I'm the only engineer with a WP at my company, which develops a hugely popular app for iOS and Android. I've been working on a WP version for some time now as a side project, but how can I convince the mobile team to make a real client (I'm a backend engineer, not a mobile engineer) if I switch over?

My 1520 is a massive buggy mess right now. I'm not sure if its the screen replacement or something else.

I keep losing touch
My phone will sometimes launch Cortana itself because the phone thinks i'm holding the search button
The back button will do the same thing
The top of the screen (inbetween the front facing camera and Nokia logo) will register as the back button.
I can tap my finger on the lower back of the phone and get it to register either home or the back button.
That's definitely some sort of grounding issue related to your screen replacement. Try opening it up and reseating everything?

kazinova

That's definitely some sort of grounding issue related to your screen replacement. Try opening it up and reseating everything?

The refurb I sent back had a similar issue, pressing the top left corner of the phone would randomly activate one of the navigation buttons. (Usually back)

Good to know I might be able to fix it myself when they inevitably send another bad one.

Ape

Banned
MS will not release a high end phone because they are too scared of iPhone 6 and Galaxy whatever.

Pussies.

No idea what MS is doing on the high end. I suppose they could be waiting for threshold. Maybe. I'm moving on from my 920 since 8.1 is most likely the last major update it's going to get. It's a shame, too. I really wanted something this fall that would compete with the iPhone 6.

clav

No idea what MS is doing on the high end. I suppose they could be waiting for threshold. Maybe. I'm moving on from my 920 since 8.1 is most likely the last major update it's going to get. It's a shame, too. I really wanted something this fall that would compete with the iPhone 6.

What are you buying instead?

maeh2k

What would it take to compete with the iPhone?
How about a Lumia 920? Screen is about the same size with a comparable resolution. Same camera resolution, but it has OIS. Same amount of RAM. It even supports wireless charging!

I don't really get the hype for new phone hardware any more...

Razdek

Banned
What would it take to compete with the iPhone?
How about a Lumia 920? Screen is about the same size with a comparable resolution. Same camera resolution, but it has OIS. Same amount of RAM. It even supports wireless charging!

I don't really get the hype for new phone hardware any more...

Are you really trying to convince him to take a 2 year old 920 over an iPhone 6?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
i keep seeing people say there is no high end phone for Windows phone, what are the 1520, 930/icon considered?

Magni

i keep seeing people say there is no high end phone for Windows phone, what are the 1520, 930/icon considered?

1520 is a phablet, it's something to offer to someone looking at a Note or 6 Plus, not at a S5 or 6. 930 is good outside of NA. Icon is only for Verizon.

Non-Verizon clients in North America (the majority of the US and all of Canada) have no non-phablet flagships on WP.

Doffen

260d1dff-78e6-46c0-8d8e-d9b0ad9a40a4

FIFA 15 Ultimate Team - FREE (lol)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Are you really trying to convince him to take a 2 year old 920 over an iPhone 6?

Ok then, 939/icon. 5" screen in the same height/width as the 4.7" iphone, 1080p display (same as 6 plus), Optical image stabilising (same as 6 plus), 20 megapixel camera with RAW support - quality likely on par with iphone 6, curved front glass. The specs for an 'old' phone hold up pretty damn well

I get that people are frustrated that there isn't anything new since the icon, but on the other hand people get frustrated when sony bring out a new ohine every 6 months. In smartphones you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Razdek

Banned
Ok then, 939/icon. 5" screen in the same height/width as the 4.7" iphone, 1080p display (same as 6 plus), Optical image stabilising (same as 6 plus), 20 megapixel camera with RAW support - quality likely on par with iphone 6, curved front glass. The specs for an 'old' phone hold up pretty damn well

I get that people are frustrated that there isn't anything new since the icon, but on the other hand people get frustrated when sony bring out a new ohine every 6 months. In smartphones you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

A 930/Icon I can see but he said a 920 which is old as hell in phone years. As someone already said the 930/Icon is not available to a lot of people and the 830/730 doesn't cut it for them.

If there is no high end phone until WP9 then why should people not move to another platform if it has the hardware they're looking for? Microsoft has no one to blame but themselves if people leave.

KageMaru

A 930/Icon I can see but he said a 920 which is old as hell in phone years. As someone already said the 930/Icon is not available to a lot of people and the 830/730 doesn't cut it for them.

If there is no high end phone until WP9 then why should people not move to another platform if it has the hardware they're looking for? Microsoft has no one to blame but themselves if people leave.

I'm pretty sure he was just making a joke about how behind Apple's new flagship really is while everyone complains about the lack of high end window phones.

Personally I don't understand how people aren't disappointed with the specs of the new iPhones, especially considering the prices. Though that's pretty standard for Apple IMO.

wait, does the Lumia Icon on Verizon still not have 8.1?

FFS

Yeah it's a crock of shit. They have an exclusive deal on their last three high end flagship phones but do little to nothing to support the platform.

PG2G

I don't see a reason to be disappointed in iPhone 6 specs. Its still on the top end of most of the benchmarks. It probably outperforms most Android phones and with better battery life

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I don't see a reason to be disappointed in iPhone 6 specs. Its still on the top end of most of the benchmarks. It probably outperforms most Android phones and with better battery life

I'm not that disappointed in the iPhone specs. I'm slightly disappointed hearing iphone fans thinking certain features are the second coming when other phones have had them for years (5" screens, curved glass displays etc), but they are good specs.

But then that makes me annoyed at those complaining about no new WP flagship because the icon/930 either hits or exceeds most of the iphone specs (it's basically an iPhone 6 plus in a thicker iphone 6 form factor)

Special C

I'm about to jump ship to Android. I love the Windows OS well above Android, but every time I need a specialty app its only on Android and iOS. Not to mention I've been waiting forever for the 8.1 update on my Verizon Icon.

Doffen

Castle Siege is quite enjoyable as a time killer. It takes a lot of time though.

I'm about to jump ship to Android. I love the Windows OS well above Android, but every time I need a specialty app its only on Android and iOS. Not to mention I've been waiting forever for the 8.1 update on my Verizon Icon.

No AoE Castle Siege on Android
yet

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
It probably outperforms most Android phones and with better battery life

There may have been a time when this was automatically true, but not anymore. Android flagships these days have excellent performance, and iPhone's battery life has been exaggerated for years now. Meanwhile, larger batteries coupled with more efficient chips and software means that a lot of the top end android phones get great battery life.

hwalker84

I'm not that disappointed in the iPhone specs. I'm slightly disappointed hearing iphone fans thinking certain features are the second coming when other phones have had them for years (5" screens, curved glass displays etc), but they are good specs.

But then that makes me annoyed at those complaining about no new WP flagship because the icon/930 either hits or exceeds most of the iphone specs (it's basically an iPhone 6 plus in a thicker iphone 6 form factor)

Because I cannot get my hands on the 930/Icon in America unless you're on Verizon (which i'm not)

KageMaru

Not sure how accurate the early benchmarks for the GPU is, but if the rest of the phone offers a similarly marginal performance boost, I'm not impressed.

http://pocketnow.com/2014/09/15/iphone-6-benchmarks

It's just hard for me to be impressed by specs when many of the features have been available for years. I'm sure the phone performs fine, but when I compare my Icon to what we get in the iPhone, I just think "meh".

kazinova

MicroSD recommendations? Looking to max out the memory of the 1520. The AT&T 16gb model is paltry, are there any particular brands/sizes that work well?

Paganmoon

I really like the fact that the WPCentral mobile site is showing app adds for Android apps...
Forgot about the new Browser User-Agent for a moment, and got excited that my bank finally released a WP app :(

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How do you like it? I'm still thinking of picking one up. I don't use glance so that's not a problem. Did you have 920 previously, and if so how does the size and weight compare? Thanks

I have a white one and like it a lot. Its about the same size/weight as a 920 but with a larger screen. Looks fantastic - not as in your face as the 920, but really nicely engineered. The LCD screen feels like it is really floating on the curved glass, and the slight increase in size and significant bump in resolution makes the three column layout work well.

Honestly I had a 920 with 8.1 dev preview on so it isn't a massive leap - still the same OS under the hood. But everything just feels more solid.

Top Bottom