• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

dLMN8R

Ok, so ignoring the fact that the Lumia 830 is priced way too high, can someone please help me figure out how AT&T Next pricing works?

First I read Ed Bott's article here: http://www.zdnet.com/how-much-does-an-iphone-6-really-cost-hint-its-way-more-than-199-7000033801/

It sounds like Next is far better than traditional contracts, because you get a $25/month discount on the 10GB family sharing plan. So Contract = $40/month per device, Next = $15/month per device.

Beyond that, then, the Lumia 830 on Next 12 is $22.50/month. So, after 12 payments of $22.50/month, or $270, you can trade in the device for something new.

I think this means that you have two primary choices:

• Pay $450 up front, and hope you can sell it for a decent amount when you want to upgrade
  • Pay $270 over the course of 12 months, assuming that you won't be able to sell that 830 for more than $180 after 12 months ($450-270)

Is that right?

GTI Guy

Ok, so ignoring the fact that the Lumia 830 is priced way too high, can someone please help me figure out how AT&T Next pricing works?

First I read Ed Bott's article here: http://www.zdnet.com/how-much-does-an-iphone-6-really-cost-hint-its-way-more-than-199-7000033801/

It sounds like Next is far better than traditional contracts, because you get a $25/month discount on the 10GB family sharing plan. So Contract = $40/month per device, Next = $15/month per device.

Beyond that, then, the Lumia 830 on Next 12 is $22.50/month. So, after 12 payments of $22.50/month, or $270, you can trade in the device for something new.

• Pay $450 up front, and hope you can sell it for a decent amount when you want to upgrade
  • Pay $270 over the course of 12 months, assuming that you won't be able to sell that 830 for more than $180 after 12 months ($450-270)

Is that right?

I think you have to turn in the device when you 'next' up

dLMN8R

Right, you have to turn in the device - which is why I'm saying the choice you make depends on how much you think you'd be able to sell the device for if you purchase it entirely up-front.

You can pay either $270 or $450. If you pay $450 you can sell it, so in order for that to be worth the money, you have to be able to sell it for more than $180.

Right? Or is there something else I'm missing?

Right, you have to turn in the device - which is why I'm saying the choice you make depends on how much you think you'd be able to sell the device for if you purchase it entirely up-front.

You can pay either $270 or $450. If you pay $450 you can sell it, so in order for that to be worth the money, you have to be able to sell it for more than $180.

Right? Or is there something else I'm missing?

You are essentially paying $270.00 to rent a phone for 12 months, and if you break or lost your phone during that time you end up having to keep paying anyway (along with paying for the rest of the phone cost).. Next is a rip off deal, it's like one of those Rent-to-Own furniture or appliance deal for people who can't get credit I don't see how you or anyone could see it as a good deal.

Only way, I will do Next is for the entire cost of the devices, ie using Next as interest free credit to get tablet.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
You are essentially paying $270.00 to rent a phone for 12 months, and if you break or lost your phone during that time you end up having to keep paying anyway (along with paying for the rest of the phone cost).. Next is a rip off deal, it's like one of those Rent-to-Own furniture or appliance deal for people who can't get credit I don't see how you or anyone could see it as a good deal.

Only way, I will do Next is for the entire cost of the devices, ie using Next as interest free credit to get tablet.

Definitely not good butterfingers WP-Gaf

dLMN8R

But....how is that different from if you buy the phone outright?

Again, if you plan on getting a new phone in 12 months, it seems like the exact same thing.

• Buy the phone for $450, hope to sell it for $180 or more after 12 months
  • "Rent" the phone through Next for 12 months and pay $270 during that time

Milchjon

One thing I never realized before:

Clicking on an iOS App Store link in IE leads to a marketplace search for that app.

Nice detail.

But....how is that different from if you buy the phone outright?

Again, if you plan on getting a new phone in 12 months, it seems like the exact same thing.

• Buy the phone for $450, hope to sell it for $180 or more after 12 months
  • "Rent" the phone through Next for 12 months and pay $270 during that time

Well if you are planning to spend $270 yearly to rent a phone then I suppose it is the same thing, but most people keep their phone for much longer or pass them on to their kids. It is good if you are one of those that want new phone all the time, it's like leasing a car, you basically paid for the depreciation of the phone.

I don't know about you but the idea of spending $270.00 to rent a phone seems like terrible idea, especially for sub-par phone like the 830 where you know it will be $.99 cents on contract in less than 3 months and you probably can find a slightly used on eBay or what not for probably close to that price of $270. And then if you use it for 6 months , I am sure you can even sell it and get at least $100.00 back.

dLMN8R

Well if you are planning to spend $270 yearly to rent a phone then I suppose it is the same thing, but most people keep their phone for much longer or pass them on to their kids. It is good if you are one of those that want new phone all the time, it's like leasing a car, you basically paid for the depreciation of the phone.

I don't know about you but the idea of spending $270.00 to rent a phone seems like terrible idea, especially for sub-par phone like the 830 where you know it will be $.99 cents on contract in less than 3 months and you probably can find a slightly used on eBay or what not for probably close to that price. And then if you use it for 6 months , I am sure you can even sell it and get at least $100.00 back.

Sure, I'm talking hypothetically, not necessarily specifically about the 830.

Also...99 cents on contract is deceiving. If you buy a subsidized phone on contract at AT&T, you're also paying a shitload more each month per device.

Next has a $15-25 "discount" per device, vs. on contract you're paying $40/device.

http://www.zdnet.com/how-much-does-an-iphone-6-really-cost-hint-its-way-more-than-199-7000033801/

So, you're paying an extra $25/month for the privilege of getting a discount on a 2-year contract. The only financially sensible options seem to be Next or buying a phone outright.

JaggedSac

Also...99 cents on contract is deceiving. If you buy a subsidized phone on contract at AT&T, you're also paying a shitload more each month per device.

Next has a $15-25 "discount" per device, vs. on contract you're paying $40/device.

http://www.zdnet.com/how-much-does-an-iphone-6-really-cost-hint-its-way-more-than-199-7000033801/

So, you're paying an extra $25/month for the privilege of getting a discount on a 2-year contract. The only financially sensible options seem to be Next or buying a phone outright.

Yeah, I'm definitely going to use Next when I get my next phone. I never sell my phones, mostly due to having ones people would never buy, and certainly not for something worth my time. Moto Q, Droid Eris, HTC Titan, etc. Someone might buy my 1020, but I doubt I would get much, especially with the dings I've got on it.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
At least they're consistent with European prices.

Fun fact: The Lumia 920 launched for that same price off-contract in the US back in 2012.

I remember this because I bought it off contract. It was an unbelievable price for that phone.

Also, I'm selling the 1520 I have with the cracked screen. After I wipe it, will there be ant issues since I'm in the developer preview? Should I try to flash it back to stock?

derFeef

Seems like the GPS sensor of my SO 630 broke? Runtastic etc. is not getting a signal while tracking - but other things work fine like weather. Since it's still eligible for warranty at Nokia I guess we will try to get a replacement.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

For me, the savings never quite made sense in my family plan. The extra that I pay each month versus next would actually be cheaper than paying next for all the phones in my family plan. So if my wife and I were both using next, that's an extra $60/ month for next if we go high end phones, plus if any of us breaks our phone we are up a creek, and you guys know that dropping phones is sort of a hobby for me.

ashdcuk

Neo Member
So I'm loving my 930 and quite impressed with the UK version of Cortana. My friend just picked up a 630 but despite being on 8.1 and Cyan, he doesn't have Cortana. Is it only on certain models?

hadareud

The Translator
It's November now.

I think it's safe to say that we will not see anything approaching a new flagship announced before the end of the year. I really cannot understand their lacklustre approach to hardware.

This is the time when they need to push on. Just as the end of last year was the time when they needed to push on.

2 years in a row they're completely handing in the last quarter of the year and the first quarter of the next year.

What on earth are they waiting of? WP10? Like they waited for 8.1 last time around? It makes no sense. Next year they're going to wait for WP10.1, there's always something that's worth waiting for, apparently.

I've now had the 1020 for over a year, and there's nothing to upgrade to. The 930 itself is now nearly a year old and while it's a very nice phone, I'm not going to give up my camera for it.

The whole thing is really annoying.

Nero3000

It's November now.

I think it's safe to say that we will not see anything approaching a new flagship announced before the end of the year. I really cannot understand their lacklustre approach to hardware.

This is the time when they need to push on. Just as the end of last year was the time when they needed to push on.

2 years in a row they're completely handing in the last quarter of the year and the first quarter of the next year.

What on earth are they waiting of? WP10? Like they waited for 8.1 last time around? It makes no sense. Next year they're going to wait for WP10.1, there's always something that's worth waiting for, apparently.

I've now had the 1020 for over a year, and there's nothing to upgrade to. The 930 itself is now nearly a year old and while it's a very nice phone, I'm not going to give up my camera for it.

The 930 came out in May/June? We knew the 930 was going to be the flagship for the immediate future for months now.

Lets face it, the volume is in the low/mid end. Of which the 735 and 830 (crazy USA pricing aside) are very decent efforts.

It's November now.

Mary Jo Foley said on the last(?) Windows Weekly episode that there won't be a new flagship phone this year.

In the US you can either get the Icon (that doesn't have Cyan yet) and is a year old, the 1520 (with Cyan) or the One M8 for Windows.

hadareud

The Translator
Mary Jo Foley said on the last(?) Windows Weekly episode that there won't be a new flagship phone this year.

In the US you can either get the Icon (that doesn't have Cyan yet) and is a year old, the 1520 (with Cyan) or the One M8 for Windows.

Yeah I heard the rumours, but considering the way they release handsets (ie months after announcing them and then drip-fed into different markets week after week or month after month), there's no way we'll see one this year in reality. Not this side of the Atlantic.

I don't mind the Icon/930. It's a good phone. But it's also a year old now, and I'm not going to go and buy a year old phone to replace my 2 year old phone.

The M8 hasn't been announced for Europe. Also, the camera makes it impossible for me to go for one, as nice a phone as it is.

The 930 came out in May/June? We knew the 930 was going to be the flagship for the immediate future for months now.

Lets face it, the volume is in the low/mid end. Of which the 735 and 830 (crazy USA pricing aside) are very decent efforts.

It came out early in 2014 as the Icon.

I understand they're going after the low end. It's the right thing to do.

But the problem is, if they want to go for the low end, they have to go for the high end too. Because those are the phones that are being talked about. No hype for flagship phones = lacklustre low end sales.

PG2G

I'm considering "renting" an M8 via Next until the 1030 successor appears. I could swap over to my broken screen 1020 if I'm vacation or something and need good pics.

I'm guessing the next camera oriented phone is 1-1.5 years away. Next spring they will probably want a proper skinny flagship.

n64coder

I have a Lumia 630 coming in by UPS later today that will be my brother-in-law's phone. He never used WP before and only uses his phone for calls/texts/emails so he doesn't really care about apps. The phone is $49 on Cricket and has a $49 rebate so it will be free for him.

I'm waiting for my daughter's Tracfone subscription to run out which is in Feb. I plan to also get her a WP even though she wants an iPhone. I'll also get a 630 for her to start with and see if she's still ok with it after a few months. I suspect she will be.

Cricket has a cool family plan where you can get 5 phones for $100/month, each with their own 1GB of high speed data per month, low speed data for the rest of the month once high speed allotment is used up. Under this plan, the fifth phone is essentially free.

hwalker84

I'm scared to buy the M8 on Friday. I haven't had an HTC windows phone since the HTC Titan 1 which was an excellent phone but existed before all the Lumia goodies.

Vyer

Is that right?

You have it right. For my 2 lines it worked out slightly cheaper to go Next, plus the ability to upgrade after 1 year as opposed to 2. In addition you can pay off the phone at any time, so if 6 months in you decide to pay what you have remaining and try your luck at selling the phone outright when your year is up you can. And you'll still be off contract and eligible after a year.

you guys should think about the Blu Win HD for only $179, it's a gorgeous phone and should hold you over until the true flagships with Windows 10 come in.

http://www.bluproducts.com/index.php/win-hd
en-INTL-PDP-BLU-5in-Windows-Phone-White-CYF-00376-Large.jpg

this_guy

Will these phones work with any carrier? Just buy the phone and bring it into say Verizon for example and say give me a sim and a plan?

Looking at the specs, it looks like it should work for both AT&T and T-Mobile but there's no LTE. It does have both companies' HSPA (what they called 4g before launching LTE). The processor also looks like a step down from what's used in the Lumia 630, 730, 830.

GTI Guy

Looking at the specs, it looks like it should work for both AT&T and T-Mobile but there's no LTE. It does have both companies' HSPA (what they called 4g before launching LTE). The processor also looks like a step down from what's used in the Lumia 630, 730, 830.

No LTE? Nasty

I'm scared to buy the M8 on Friday. I haven't had an HTC windows phone since the HTC Titan 1 which was an excellent phone but existed before all the Lumia goodies.

Van has the Android version, my nephew using Android one also since launch and it seems to hold up.

HTC Titan 1 was a great phone, but HTC support was abysmal, one of the reason I am hesitate to get their phone again.

I'm considering "renting" an M8 via Next until the 1030 successor appears. I could swap over to my broken screen 1020 if I'm vacation or something and need good pics.

I'm guessing the next camera oriented phone is 1-1.5 years away. Next spring they will probably want a proper skinny flagship.

Join our team of using 1020 as point and shoot camera.

It work out to be a wash, depending on the phone you get, the $15-25 discount you get is being off-set by the fact that you are handing 20-35 a month in rental fee. You actually do better if the phone you get (on contract) have higher rental price than the $15-25 discount you would be getting.

Again, for a single or even two phone line, the Next probably make sense if you constantly want new phone yearly and doesn't want the hassle of selling (plus if you are into Windows Phone, the resale price is terrible compare to iPhone or Galaxy S).

Top Bottom