• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Watevaman

What phone do you have? On what carrier? All WP8 phones can get Cortana regardless of country/carrier as far as I know, even the 810, no?

I thought Cortana was an 8.1 feature? Not all phones (like my Icon on Verizon) have 8.1 (which is fucking stupid as hell)

Paganmoon

What phone do you have? On what carrier? All WP8 phones can get Cortana regardless of country/carrier as far as I know, even the 810, no?

1020, but that's not the issue, it's a region thing, and if I switch region to the US to get Cortana, I'll have to switch back every now and then to get latest app updates for apps only available in Sweden (bank apps, SAS app, etc).

Magni

I thought Cortana was an 8.1 feature? Not all phones (like my Icon on Verizon) have 8.1 (which is fucking stupid as hell)

Verizon can block you from Cyan, but they can't block you from 8.1

1020, but that's not the issue, it's a region thing, and if I switch region to the US to get Cortana, I'll have to switch back every now and then to get latest app updates for apps only available in Sweden (bank apps, SAS app, etc).

Duh. I should know better, I just recently moved back to the US ><

I don't know the difference. I mean, I'm talking about official 8.1, which is Cyan, isn't it?

I'm running 8.1 DP but I don't consider it the same.

The OS is the same, the firmware functionality is different. The 8.1 DP is the same OS you'd get with Cyan. Cyan just adds other functionality that isn't tied to the OS.

Magni

I don't know the difference. I mean, I'm talking about official 8.1, which is Cyan, isn't it?

I'm running 8.1 DP but I don't consider it the same.

Cyan is a Lumia firmware. 8.1 is an OS update. They're two different things. Cyan is only for Lumias, 8.1 is for all Windows Phones.

"There was a lot of people at Microsoft store, the most I have ever seen." - a poster from the Band thread.

My experience was the same. Everyone there this morning walked away with a Band. Maybe 10 people in the short 15 minutes that I spent at the Microsoft kiosk. Couple this with the positive reviews, the sub $200 price, and Microsoft could have a run away hit on their hands. Maybe a revision to match the Apple Watch's release and Microsoft is suddenly back in the mobile game. Cortana on the Band may get people to the WP platform.

"There was a lot of people at Microsoft store, the most I have ever seen." - a poster from the Band thread.

My experience was the same. Everyone there this morning walked away with a Band. Maybe 10 people in the short 15 minutes that I spent at the Microsoft kiosk. Couple this with the positive reviews, the sub $200 price, and Microsoft could have a run away hit on their hands. Maybe a revision to match the Apple Watch's release and Microsoft is suddenly back in the mobile game. Cortana on the Band may get people to the WP platform.
That was me and it was at Portland store. But man the set up was pathetic. For a new product launch it was quite underwhelming. They really need to take marketing course.

kacdoSK.jpg

edit: what camajise said, these were selling quite well at Microsoft store I went to. Several people were walking out with them and many were checking it out.

KageMaru

If the band acts as both a watch and a fitness band, why is MS marketing it mainly as a fitness wrist band? I don't really folly these devices all too much so I'm not aware if all of these fitness devices also act as a watch.

Looks like we finally got an update on the update:

Owners of the Lumia Icon, the Lumia 928 and the Lumia 822 in the US have been waiting patiently for Verizon Wireless to push out the long awaited update to the Lumia Cyan firmware. Today, Microsoft's Windows VP Joe Belfiore posted word on his Twitter account that work on those updates is "underway" but it sounds like it may take a while for those phone owners to get the Cyan download.

http://m.windowscentral.com/verizon-working-its-windows-phone-81cyan-updates

If the band acts as both a watch and a fitness band, why is MS marketing it mainly as a fitness wrist band? I don't really folly these devices all too much so I'm not aware if all of these fitness devices also act as a watch.
Not all fitness band act as a watch. The basic Fitbit only have LED light and have to sync with another device (PC or mobile). The slightly more expensive version have phone notification and clock. Microsoft Band is somewhat in between. It's mainly a fitness band but with many of the smartwatch functionalities like text notification, Cortana voice (pretty limited) but it is not quite a full fledge smartwatch like the Moto360.

While the apple watch is a true smartwatch priced at $349, this band is a premium fitness tracker with smartwatch functionality priced at only $199. GPS and heart rate monitoring provide this band the most accurate health metrics yet. "wearables" are all the buzz, marketing this as a fitness band keeps Microsoft from competing directly with the apple watch and not looking like another "me too" product. Apple watch I believe does not have a GPS so as a fitness device, you need the phone on you at all times.

Microsoft gambled and got to the market early with this and I think it will pay off for them.

While the apple watch is a true smartwatch priced at $349, this band is a premium fitness tracker with smartwatch functionality priced at only $199. GPS and heart rate monitoring provide this band the most accurate health metrics yet. "wearables" are all the buzz, marketing this as a fitness band keeps Microsoft from competing directly with the apple watch and not looking like another "me too" product. Apple watch I believe does not have a GPS so as a fitness device, you need the phone on you at all times.

Microsoft gambled and got to the market early with this and I think it will pay off for them.

Yes, having built in GPS is a big plus for me. Since switching to OnePlus it was pretty annoying to go run with that giant phone. Now I can just wear this and still track my running, better yet now it track my heartrate and calories.

Yes, having built in GPS is a big plus for me. Since switching to OnePlus it was pretty annoying to go run with that giant phone. Now I can just wear this and still track my running, better yet now it rack my heartrate and calories.[/QUOTE]

yep. I think i'm going to buy my mom one. She's going to go insane over this. She bought the 360/Xbox one because of Kinect workout stuff..............

also, the VHS cover of Buns of Steel is imprinted into my brain.

Does it feel strange when using the camera on a high-end Lumia? Sometimes it feels like I'm, well, cheating with the things I can do and the things I can get.

PG2G

Does it feel strange when using the camera on a high-end Lumia? Sometimes it feels like I'm, well, cheating with the things I can do and the things I can get.

I feel like I am cheating when taking a still image, I feel like everyone else is cheating when they are taking moving images :p

Hopefully you Americans in here will get to check out the 830 soon. I'm quite impressed with mine.
So true story while at Microsoft Store a guy came in to get Microsoft Band and was curious about upgrade his phone. He has Lumia 920. He asked about the Icon but the clerk told him that it is only on Verizon so he pick up the M8 and the clerk apologetically told the guy that it is also Verizon. Only new AT&T phone is the 630. He told the gentleman to come back next month. Talking about loosing your customers. I told the clerk that was helping me that I switched to Android because of the lack of new phone.

Initially a hater, I've come around on the Lumia 830. What a wonderful, beautiful device it is. Perfect weight, impressive build quality and sturdiness, swapable coloured backs, integrated Qi, and an SD slot. I was so impressed by the feel of the device compared to my ~18 month old Lumia 920. I went to my local Microsoft store and played around with it and left the store with one.

I live in Canada, so the options as of now are: Bell ($499, black metal rim, black back), Telus ($499, same thing), or Rogers ($399, the only one with the silver rim, and comes with black and green backs included). Now I've always unlocked my phones right when I bought them, and I have an active line with Bell. But I didn't want to pay $100 more for what I feel is the uglier version with less in the box to boot. So I decided to bring home the Rogers 830 and unlock it using the site I usually use. $399 + GST

Just as I'm formatting the SD card using WP8's built-in tool, the phone dies on me. Reboots: EFI boot error. Not detectable using PC/Recovery Tool. Just dead in the water like that. No worries, I've had good experience with the Microsoft store before, so I go back a day or two later to get it exchanged for a new working device. They replace it no questions asked, with a brand new device in store for me. Awesome!

I send in the IMEI to my unlocking service for my now 2nd Lumia 830 device locked to Rogers. About 12 hours later I get a refund from the site indicating the IMEI cannot be found. Never had this before. I've unlocked a handful of Lumias (various carriers) and other Windows Phones and other OS devices, too using this site, so I was confused. I tried a different service. No dice. And another. And another. Bogus. Unfortunately, it seems (at least currently) you cannot unlock a Rogers Lumia 830 from a Microsoft Store in Canada.

Unless you contact Rogers themselves, that is, who informed me they would be more than happy to unlock my unsubsidized device for me - so long as I activated a plan with them for a minimum of 90 days on said device, to which they would then unlock the device AFTER charging me an additional $50 unlocking fee.

Needless to say, I hung up. Then I returned the phone to the Microsoft Store. I no longer have this beauty the Lumia 830, and I suspect I'll be waiting a while longer for Microsoft to start selling these phones unlocked direct through their store. If the carriers allow that, that is. Also, screw Canadian carriers. BS.

hadareud

The Translator
I find the positive reaction to the MS Band highly unsettling.

The public was already pretty positive about SP3, but with this thing it's just strange. I've read hardly any negative comments at even the most anti MS places.

We've entered a bizarro world where MS products are not slagged off without any base.

I'm scared.

Zeknurn

I find the positive reaction to the MS Band highly unsettling.

The public was already pretty positive about SP3, but with this thing it's just strange. I've read hardly any negative comments at even the most anti MS places.

We've entered a bizarro world where MS products are not slagged off without any base.

I'm scared.

I'd wait for a review without snide remarks from The Verge before calling it a bizarro world.

So while my 930 is being sent back I thought I'd post some initial impressions (going from a 920):

Good

+ Much better battery life
+ Camera is much sharper and quicker, lower noise levels
+ Screen is sharp, and has fantastic black levels
+ OS feels snappier
+ Thinner and feels more premium
+ Reduced bezel

Bad

- Is a bit awkward to hold (sharp edges)
- No glance or double-tap to wake (didn't realise how much I would miss these)

Ugly

- My unit has a strange vertical stripe pattern, appearing almost like screen burn (hence reason for return)

Overall

Not as big an upgrade as I'd hoped to be honest, and if anything highlights the 920 was for its time.

ElNino

Hopefully you Americans in here will get to check out the 830 soon. I'm quite impressed with mine.
Schuey, how do you find the performance of the 830 compared to your 920 (pretty sure that's what you had before)?

I like my 1020, particularly for the camera (of course), but I'm considering upgrading to a new phone if I can get better day-to-day performance. I've been looking at an unlocked 1520, but the size is concerning and it is still a pretty expensive device despite being around a year old. I do like the camera features coming with Denim though and I think photos might be close enough to the 1020 for me to happy with that.

The 830 seems like the perfect sized device for me, and the price would be cheaper than the 1520. My concerns are whether the performance would be significant enough compared to the 1020 and whether the camera would be good enough for me.

MS has Apple to thank. Apple seemed to have a lot of people hyped up about "wearables" but MS beat them to the market first, hahaha. I think by the time the Apple Watch does launch MS will have more refined versions of their Band. Perhaps also introduce another "smartwatch" model to go head to head against the Apple Watch.

I really think Cortana needs to go cross platform and steal the search engine market from Google. I know it won't have all the "personal assistant" functions on other platforms but it's a start. Selling people on "Cortana Lite" might get people to switch over to WP.

Paganmoon

Great that something from Microsoft mobile division is getting some Hype. But seeing a picture of an MS store in the Band OT, that looks like an Apple store, on any other day don't it?

I really think Cortana needs to go cross platform and steal the search engine market from Google. I know it won't have all the "personal assistant" functions on other platforms but it's a start. Selling people on "Cortana Lite" might get people to switch over to WP.

That's not Cortana per say though, that's Bing, and Bing in Europe is absolute shit, I rarely get results for what I'm looking for on Bing. Bit OT, but also on Microsoft TechNet, the search results are pretty bad. I get better results searching on Google and having "Site:technet.microsoft.com" in the search field. They really need to step it up a lot on the search side.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So while my 930 is being sent back I thought I'd post some initial impressions (going from a 920):

Good

+ Much better battery life
+ Camera is much sharper and quicker, lower noise levels
+ Screen is sharp, and has fantastic black levels
+ OS feels snappier
+ Thinner and feels more premium
+ Reduced bezel

Bad

- Is a bit awkward to hold (sharp edges)
- No glance or double-tap to wake (didn't realise how much I would miss these)

Ugly

- My unit has a strange vertical stripe pattern, appearing almost like screen burn (hence reason for return)

Overall

Not as big an upgrade as I'd hoped to be honest, and if anything highlights the 920 was for its time.

it does have double-tap to wake btw. no glance is a big shame though.

it really just feels like a refreshed 920 - nicer screen, faster etc. which is fine IMO

it does have double-tap to wake btw. no glance is a big shame though.

it really just feels like a refreshed 920 - nicer screen, faster etc. which is fine IMO

Forgot you had to turn it on, cheers!

Maybe I'll be happier when I get the replacement, the problem with the screen put me right off it.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Schuey, how do you find the performance of the 830 compared to your 920 (pretty sure that's what you had before)?

I like my 1020, particularly for the camera (of course), but I'm considering upgrading to a new phone if I can get better day-to-day performance. I've been looking at an unlocked 1520, but the size is concerning and it is still a pretty expensive device despite being around a year old. I do like the camera features coming with Denim though and I think photos might be close enough to the 1020 for me to happy with that.

The 830 seems like the perfect sized device for me, and the price would be cheaper than the 1520. My concerns are whether the performance would be significant enough compared to the 1020 and whether the camera would be good enough for me.

It feels faster. Not sure if that is just some sort of new gadget placebo effect, but it has new firmware and optimizations so that has to help. Putting all my music on a class 10 sd card is great and loads fast.

There is some resuming, but some of it I think is down to apps not yet being optimized.

Even though the screen has a lower ppi than the 920 you can't tell and the screen seems closer to the glass. The bezel and design is much better.

It pretty much never gets warm which is great. The camera seems very good and it still needs to get the Lumia camera update.

Bottom line is that it does everything I need it to do very well, has a very good camera, tons of optional storage and a great form factor.

Edit: Getting around 20 hours battery life with moderate usage, 8+ background tasks and several email accounts getting pushed.

MCD

can you change size, weight, height on the band to uk standards? kg, meter, etc?

will be a waste if I a but it for my brother and can't do that.

NeOak

can you change size, weight, height on the band to uk standards? kg, meter, etc?

will be a waste if I a but it for my brother and can't do that.
You mean metrical system?

When your say UK standards it sounds like imperial units!

Top Bottom