• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Magni

Is Mint the best windows phone application for money management?

It's what I use, very helpful for when banks/credit cards/investment funds don't have an app and you want a quick look at your balance.

Heck, I still use it more than the Chase app just because I only need a PIN rather than open up LastPass, copy my password, open up Chase again and paste just to login.

I'm hoping MS gets 1password/Lastpass integrated for Windows 10, sorta like how iOS 8 has it.

MRSA

Banned
I can buy two Lumia 521 for $70, with the 8.1 update I should probably get it as a backup phone and give the other one to my sister.

hitgirl

It's what I use, very helpful for when banks/credit cards/investment funds don't have an app and you want a quick look at your balance.

Heck, I still use it more than the Chase app just because I only need a PIN rather than open up LastPass, copy my password, open up Chase again and paste just to login.

I'm hoping MS gets 1password/Lastpass integrated for Windows 10, sorta like how iOS 8 has it.

Aww man iOS8 has 1password/Lastpass integration. That's pretty awesome, I was thinking about signing up for that service because the amount of dataleaks has be stressing. Also pain in the ass to track all these different passwords.

kharma45

99% sure I'm coming back :lol need to return my OnePlus for a refund, then decide on a brand new 735 for £130 or a nearly new 930 without a box for £190 or so.

Does anyone here use a T-Mobile 521, have the Cyan update, use the $30 5GB/100 min plan AND not have tethering added?

Please PM me, I'd appreciate it if you could try something for me before I update.

I would just try this out with my mom's phone but I'm not planning on updating that to 8.1 considering the phone does exactly what she needs and 8.1 will just introduce more loading screens and frustration into her life. :(

Magni

I'm not getting it today but tomorrow :( My girlfriend is in Japan right now and her birthday was on the 5th. I say was because it's the 6th over there now, and my brain got stuck on Japanese time ><

Aww man iOS8 has 1password/Lastpass integration. That's pretty awesome, I was thinking about signing up for that service because the amount of dataleaks has be stressing. Also pain in the ass to track all these different passwords.

Yup. Also all of my work account are stored in 1password (company policy), which makes it a pain to do anything on my phone outside of emails.

So the RM-985 will work on AT&T LTE?

I'm pretty sure it will, from what I saw on WC forums.

I have a Oneplus One ordered by I am debating whether to cancel and just hold on to my 920 until some win10 phones are announced.

I like the windows phone OS more than I like iOS or Android, but damn do I want a new device haha.

Paganmoon

I have a Oneplus One ordered by I am debating whether to cancel and just hold on to my 920 until some win10 phones are announced.

I like the windows phone OS more than I like iOS or Android, but damn do I want a new device haha.

Yeah, I've put upgrading my 1020 on hold until I see some W10 phones, but I'm getting the feeling we won't be seeing any for a long time. We won't be seeing them at the same time as it's released for desktop at least I think.

It's a good phone. I would try it, you can always sell it to recoup the cost.

Being a Cyanogen mod you can do a lot with it. I removed all the search bar and change all the icons. It's not quite as nice but the notification center made up for th the lost of live tiles. Apps are also better but the UI are hit or miss on these apps.

Nero3000

Is there anyway I can out my salary into Cortana. I cant afford to casually go to these places!

dOg6wCc.jpg

*clap clap clap*

Cortana forgot she's not with Billy G.

I was at a steakhouse the other day eating in the executive room. I saw Bill G walk past our room, and I scoffed at the notion that this man who's worth a bajillion times more than our group of fresh out of college peewees is eating in the cheap seats while we dine in the fancy pants rich-men room.

He probably donated more money during that dinner than I made in my entire professional career.

My camera app opened up to dark and green and it had me worried for a bit.
However, I can't use Cortana anymore because it almost immediately complains that it didn't catch that. The DNR mic at the top of my 920 has been giving me problems lately. What did I screw up? And what were people doing to get the front camera dedusted on the 920?

Milchjon

Office just went free on other mobile platforms.

Also Duolingo seems to be teasing some kind of Windows app, which would be awesome.

Paganmoon

Sure it sucks if they release better apps for ios or android, but I hardly think Office on your mobile was a selling point of the OS anyway.

hadareud

The Translator
Satya just announced that WP is now a service. You can download the whole OS along with any hardware you want on Android and iOS starting today.

Thanks Satya!

Is this the office on other platforms thing? I don't get it.

Why the hell wouldn't they release it on iOS and Android? And why shouldn't it be free if it's free on MS devices. They'd be mental not to do it.

That's not to say that their not updating the apps on their own platform is acceptable.

That said, I've yet to meet a person that bought a Windows Phone because Office was free on it.

Of course, I've yet to meet a person that bought a Windows Phone.

dLMN8R

Nothing that's happened to Windows Phone so far is the result of Satya's leadership.

I think you guys are exaggerating how much time it's been. Satya took over as CEO in February. Windows Phone 8.1 released just two months later in April - obviously he couldn't do anything in those two months.

Devices take at least 12-18 months from inception to release. Usually even longer than that. Any devices releasing this Fall were planned, designed, and mostly tested before or shortly after Satya became CEO.

Even the plan to release Windows 10 some time next year - on both Desktop and Phone - was decided under Ballmer.

Windows 10's actual release, and devices which may go along with it, will really be the first Windows thing that Satya has any real influence over.

I get why MS is making their iOS/Android offerings better (it's just like Office for Mac), but as a WP user it just makes me less inclined to stay on WP.

Office isn't a deal breaker but I do use it on WP.

clav

What happened?
Android won.

Tactical nuke incoming.
Nothing that's happened to Windows Phone so far is the result of Satya's leadership.

I think you guys are exaggerating how much time it's been. Satya took over as CEO in February. Windows Phone 8.1 released just two months later in April - obviously he couldn't do anything in those two months.

Devices take at least 12-18 months from inception to release. Usually even longer than that. Any devices releasing this Fall were planned, designed, and mostly tested before or shortly after Satya became CEO.

Even the plan to release Windows 10 some time next year - on both Desktop and Phone - was decided under Ballmer.

Windows 10's actual release, and devices which may go along with it, will really be the first Windows thing that Satya has any real influence over.
The important thing is convergence (i.e. One Microsoft). If Satya can converge the Windows experience on every platform as opposed to 3 different experiences that we have right now, then he will succeed.

dLMN8R

I get why MS is making their iOS/Android offerings better (it's just like Office for Mac), but as a WP user it just makes me less inclined to stay on WP.

Office isn't a deal breaker but I do use it on WP.

I think it's clear that Office on Windows Phone was never a successful selling point anyway. Even if the Office apps on Windows Phone were updated far more frequently and were significantly better, they wouldn't be. Using Office on a Phone just doesn't seem to be that important to most people.

So I don't see how giving away Office on iOS and Android would hurt Windows Phone.

NeOak

Satya just announced that WP is now a service. You can download the whole OS along with any hardware you want on Android and iOS starting today.

Thanks Satya!
Can you guys give a link. I can't find anything about this.

Top Bottom