• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

I think it's clear that Office on Windows Phone was never a successful selling point anyway. Even if the Office apps on Windows Phone were updated far more frequently and were significantly better, they wouldn't be. Using Office on a Phone just doesn't seem to be that important to most people.

So I don't see how giving away Office on iOS and Android would hurt Windows Phone.

It doesn't help ... I get where your company is heading and I like it for the most part (my investment portfolio also like it a lot) that said, you got to be in denial not seeing where your new CEO is taking the company. I can see the next Xbox to be just "reference" design (like Valve doing with their steam box) much the same as what they are doing with the Band, Surface and even Windows Phone. I can imagine they turning Xbox into Steam and just run the darn thing in Windows 10.

That said, I sure miss the previous CEO embracing of new exciting hardware, the problem with Windows Phone is that even when it's free you don't see people line up to make devices for it. Even cheap Chinese phone company is backing out of the phone making and Samsung only make Windows Phone because of Android licensing. The less differentiation Windows Phone have over other platform, the less reason there is for people to look at it. Why would I get Windows Phone if there is no Lumia, exclusive apps (Xbox, Office) or even the modern flat design that everyone even Google is imitating and making better.

clav

Also dumb carrier exclusivity.

Whoever was in charge of that should be fired.

Make an option to sell the phone unlocked.

Ah, yeah :-\ I want an entire white body, unfortunately. My last white phone was my Lumia 900 and I love how the white 830 looks. I might try the white back plate though, thanks.

hwalker84

I hate these stores.

Went to check out the HTC One M8. They have a spot for it but no device. The lady was like we have them. Let me go grab one. She comes back and says we cannot show you the device till tomorrow even though the display model is sitting in the back. I say why? She says the floor manager doesn't want people looking at them till tomorrow. She says will I see you tomorrow. I say probably not.

Also it seems like ATT does some weird displays now with multicolored phones with just the top half stacked and displayed (a mock phone cut in half). The Lumia 820 display had the silver trim. LOL!!!

I hate these stores.

Went to check out the HTC One M8. They have a spot for it but no device. The lady was like we have them. Let me go grab one. She comes back and says we cannot show you the device till tomorrow even though the display model is sitting in the back. I say why? She says the floor manager doesn't want people looking at them till tomorrow. She says will I see you tomorrow. I say probably not.

Also it seems like ATT does some weird displays now with multicolored phones with just the top half stacked and displayed (a mock phone cut in half). The Lumia 820 display had the silver trim. LOL!!!

Street date on a 6 months old phone. The display phone is probably because they sick and tire of people stealing those fake phone.

Also why do you guys hate the dark color aluminum? I think it look nicer than those shiny silver one.

GTI Guy

Is there a clock app out there that when the phone is plugged in that it will show the time always? I'd like to use my phone as my bedroom clock when I go to sleep. I have a required lock on my phone via my company's security so I'm not sure if it's possible since my lock occurs after like 15 minutes.

Is there a clock app out there that when the phone is plugged in that it will show the time always? I'd like to use my phone as my bedroom clock when I go to sleep. I have a required lock on my phone via my company's security so I'm not sure if it's possible since my lock occurs after like 15 minutes.
I assume you have Icon and doesn't have glance? This is why it's sad that glance is removed from Icon.

JaggedSac

It doesn't help ... I get where your company is heading and I like it for the most part (my investment portfolio also like it a lot) that said, you got to be in denial not seeing where your new CEO is taking the company. I can see the next Xbox to be just "reference" design (like Valve doing with their steam box) much the same as what they are doing with the Band, Surface and even Windows Phone. I can imagine they turning Xbox into Steam and just run the darn thing in Windows 10.

That said, I sure miss the previous CEO embracing of new exciting hardware, the problem with Windows Phone is that even when it's free you don't see people line up to make devices for it. Even cheap Chinese phone company is backing out of the phone making and Samsung only make Windows Phone because of Android licensing. The less differentiation Windows Phone have over other platform, the less reason there is for people to look at it. Why would I get Windows Phone if there is no Lumia, exclusive apps (Xbox, Office) or even the modern flat design that everyone even Google is imitating and making better.

If you recall the leaked slides of Xbox plans, they had planned to do just that at one point.

NeOak

Glance does that.

I think another option was the vertical Qi charger with NFC?

GTI Guy

I assume you have Icon and doesn't have glance? This is why it's sad that glance is removed from Icon.

Had a 920 then got an HTC One M8 and am missing the wireless charging...so started thinking about turning this back in and getting an icon then realized the clock function was tied to glance which is not on the icon....so now I'm thinking I should just stick with the M8 but would really like the clock back. I'm guessing there is no app that will do what I want though. :(

I could just say screw this and go back to my 920 but damn the 4.5" screen just feels small....and NO i'm not going to get the 1520...lol 6" is just so enormous!

Had a 920 then got an HTC One M8 and am missing the wireless charging...so started thinking about turning this back in and getting an icon then realized the clock function was tied to glance which is not on the icon....so now I'm thinking I should just stick with the M8 but would really like the clock back. I'm guessing there is no app that will do what I want though. :(

I could just say screw this and go back to my 920 but damn the 4.5" screen just feels small....and NO i'm not going to get the 1520...lol 6" is just so enormous!
I would keep the M8.

I miss wireless charging also using the OnePlus. And also glance screen.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Glance does that.

I think another option was the vertical Qi charger with NFC?

This works, but unless the app itself has an option to not dim or lock the screen it will still lock. Tried it with my QI charger and the World Clock app.

Talking about vertical Qi stands... is than Nokia desktop accesories thing ever coming back? The NFC functionality is useless for me since they stripped that for whatever reasons.

Nokia_Desktop_App.jpg

I really liked that view on my desk...

Milchjon

"Microsoft’s first Lumia will include a 5-inch display with 1GB RAM, a 5-megapixel camera, and 1.2GHz Snapdragon processor. Surprisingly, Microsoft is adding a forward-facing camera to this particular model, something Nokia chose to cut from the recent low-end Lumia handsets."

GET FUCKING EXCITED

I bet it won't have any number attached and will just be The Microsoft Lumia cause MS doesn't intend to continue any other of their lines in the future!

Does this mean the general reaction to the 530 actually woke MS up?

I don't think so. The reactions probably didn't surprise them, but this phone was in development before the 530 came out. I just hope they get rid of 512 MB phones entirely. Not that I'm getting my hopes up or anything.

Milchjon

From Thurrot's (way positive) 735 review:

"That said, the 6.7 megapixel camera, with ZEISS optics and LED flash, may look like nothing special on paper, but the quality of its pictures has surprised me. In fact, I've found them to be generally superior to those taken with the 10 MP Lumia 830, in part because they aren't washed-out like the 830 photos are."

So the 830 has an inferior screen and a disappointing camera compared to the 735. Bummer

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
You had a 920 before, right? How do they compare in that regard?

My 920 is still my daily driver. They are very similar, but the 830 edes the 920's quality on account of taking generally crispier pictures and having a MUCH faster camera. Night pictures are also generally better somehow; they don't require tripod-like hands in order to take good photos with little light.

White balance is all over the fucking place, though, but I hear that Microsoft is going to fix that ASAP. Until then, you may want to toy with the camera settings.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is the 530 really terrible or is it an acceptable phone? Just seen an offer for a free 530 with 250 minutes, 5000 texts and 500MB data for free (£7.50 per month for 24 months, with £180 cash back via 5 redemptions). Figured for free I can't go wrong, and if the phone is really bad I can pop the sim out and use it in another phone. So I oredered two - one for each of my kids.

My son has an unlocked 520 he can put the sim in, and I have my old 920 too.

E2save.com btw if there are any UK gaffers looking for a bargain

Is the 530 really terrible or is it an acceptable phone? Just seen an offer for a free 530 with 250 minutes, 5000 texts and 500MB data for free (£7.50 per month for 24 months, with £180 cash back via 5 redemptions). Figured for free I can't go wrong, and if the phone is really bad I can pop the sim out and use it in another phone. So I oredered two - one for each of my kids.

My son has an unlocked 520 he can put the sim in, and I have my old 920 too.

E2save.com btw if there are any UK gaffers looking for a bargain

I'd say the 520 is the better phone. But for your kids? 530 should be more than enough.

hadareud

The Translator
Tom Warren ‏@tomwarren 3m3 minutes ago

I've said this before, but people keep asking. No new Lumia flagship for holidays. Microsoft was clear in the leaked memo it's 930 and 1520

Knew it.

ffs Microsoft.

dLMN8R

Is there anything concrete about whether the 830 on AT&T comes with Denim preinstalled? A bunch of the reviews/impressions from Thurrott and such have all stated they didn't have Denim, which is supposed to dramatically improve shot speed and low-light performance.

My wife and I are heading to Portland over the weekend, so we'll probably just go with the 830s even with the high price. Saving $45 on sales tax because it's Oregon, plus free Fitbit Flexes, will ease the pain. And Next 12 means I can easily upgrade earlier which is what I planned on doing anyway.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Is there anything concrete about whether the 830 on AT&T comes with Denim preinstalled? A bunch of the reviews/impressions from Thurrott and such have all stated they didn't have Denim, which is supposed to dramatically improve shot speed and low-light performance.

My wife and I are heading to Portland over the weekend, so we'll probably just go with the 830s even with the high price. Saving $45 on sales tax because it's Oregon, plus free Fitbit Flexes, will ease the pain. And Next 12 means I can easily upgrade earlier which is what I planned on doing anyway.

830 has Denim, but MS still needs to release the new Lumia camera update with the improved speed, hdr etc.

Top Bottom