• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

frontieruk

It really depends if the app list is still there. I don't want that every single app I download shits up my start screen.

But seriously, it has to be there, right?

I'm thinking theres a separate apps list and notification centre, each 'handset' was carefully set out to so the apps were available from the start screen, still hating on the screen usage for the tiles, it just looks wrong.

yes, you're letting everything else that upset you fog your judgement on that one

:lol

I know, I'm terrible. I almost ordered the Xperia S an hour ago.

I honestly don't care about the update situation, as I'd have to buy a new phone anyway. Yet it upset me a little bit. When the rumors said that current users would get a subset of the Apollo features, I thought it was more than the bastardization of the current start screen. At least IE 10 should've been possible.

krae_man

Which should come with Tango this month fingers crossed.

I read something on another forum that said you can get it on your phone now if you what you're doing. I'm not up on putting customs firmware phones and whatnot so I'm not sure what the process would entail. I just hope my carrier approves it quickly.

kharma45

I read something on another forum that said you can get it on your phone now if you what you're doing. I'm not up on customs firmware phones and whatnot so I'm not sure what the process would entail. I just hope my carrier approves it quickly.

Yeah you can flash some sort of CAB update but I'm not too clued up on it.

oh hey guys look.
dPR5O.png

almost 7 whole percent. PROGRESS!

smh

Wow, so I was right. WP7 is dead. I wonder how Nokia feels right now knowing their flagship Lumia 900 is instantly obsolete and already a legacy device for the rest of 2012.

Troll

Banned
Mary Jo Foley tweeted me that you will be able to pin as few or as many apps as you want to the start screen.

Microsoft would't force you to put all of your apps on the start menu. I don't know if that was a serious complaint or not.

It is shaping up to be solid, I dont know if it will compete with the likes of iOS6 but it's still early.

gcubed

Microsoft would't force you to put all of your apps on the start menu. I don't know if that was a serious complaint or not.

It is shaping up to be solid, I dont know if it will compete with the likes of iOS6 but it's still early.

Brot's mind went into shut down mode once he saw the new start screen

giga

Official statement RE: WP8 apps on WP7.x: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft...hone-8-finally-gets-a-real-windows-core/12975

Update: We know Windows Phone 7.x apps can run on Windows Phone 8, according to Microsoft. But what about the reverse? Can Windows Phone 8 apps run on existing devices? Short answer is no.

Longer answer, courtesy of a Microsoft spokesperson:

“We are designing Windows Phone 8 with the goal of allowing all existing applications in the Windows Phone Marketplace to work on Windows Phone 8 devices. We will also be working closely with key developer partners to create versions of applications that take advantage of some of the new features available in Windows Phone 8.

“New applications compiled specifically for Windows Phone 8 will not be made available for Windows Phone 7.x devices.”

Although I'm obviously disappointed with how us 7.5 users are going to get fucked, I will say props to MS for basically telling carriers to fuck off, we're just going to update our devices ourselves.

Um, no?

Seeing the Surface tablet announcement, I just finally understood why everything was being Metro'd. Metro on a desktop PC is stupid and MS knows it, but they weren't Metrofying desktop Windows because it was for the desktop. MS wants Windows on desktops, laptops, tablets, and phones. ARM had finally reached the point where it was powerful enough to run Windows, so MS just said fuck it, let's put Windows on ARM and call it a day. Obviously, in a world where all Windows devices now run real Windows, Windows Phone is completely unnecessary and superfluous, therefore it is now dead.

I'm expecting on Wednesday MS will announce Windows Phone 8, which is actually Windows RT for phones.

Quoting myself to emphasize just how right I was. Not gloating or anything. I truly feel sorry for the True Believers who really believed in MS's stopgap planned for death from day 1 platform. Tee hee~

kehs

Banned
Wow, so I was right. WP7 is dead. I wonder how Nokia feels right now knowing their flagship Lumia 900 is instantly obsolete and already a legacy device for the rest of 2012.

"could somebody forward the slide.... not that it matters"

"twiddle dee & twiddle dumb"

"let's pick a face that matches my emotion on this glorious day"

dream

Do you think Nokia can survive as an independent company now that Microsoft has slit the throat of their revenue stream?

Troll

Banned
From a hardware perspective it was a good day, I think we are all just stinging a little because we really just want to know more. I can understand why they dos the announcement this early, they had to let current WP users know what to expect. The more I think about it, the less disappointed I am.

Fjolle

"This latest version of the Lumia software brings three long-awaited experiences to your Lumia 710 or 800: the introduction of Internet sharing, Flip-to-Silence and media streaming from your phone.

All Lumia smartphones will be getting an update to give you some of the features of Windows Phone 8, including the new Start screen, as well as a pattern of ongoing updates going forward."

wupwup!?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
"This latest version of the Lumia software brings three long-awaited experiences to your Lumia 710 or 800: the introduction of Internet sharing, Flip-to-Silence and media streaming from your phone.

All Lumia smartphones will be getting an update to give you some of the features of Windows Phone 8, including the new Start screen, as well as a pattern of ongoing updates going forward."

wupwup!?

Nokia will still bring it for a while to Lumia phones. I would still get a Lumia over an Android phone even knowing what I know now.

Fjolle

Actually i don't really care. My Lumia 800 will probably have disintegrated completely by October so i would have to get a new phone anyway.

I'll just leave these here...

You do have a Lumia, right?

From the autumn, you will be able to download Zynga’s world-beating games, Words With Friends and Draw Something, for your Lumia.

For a couple of months after launch, both these games will be available in the Nokia Collection before releasing generally on Windows Phone Marketplace.

giga

I'm not sure what is wrong with this...? What does he mean that they're incompatible with 0 phones "at start"? If start=launch of WP8 devices...this makes no sense.
Foley is missing that existing devices will get to run W8 apps. The same isn't true for WP8 apps.

Carriers on Windows Phone 8:
We reached out to major U.S. operators to find out if they'll support Windows Phone 8. We'll fill in this story as they respond. T-Mobile and Verizon have so far confirmed that they will carry Windows Phone 8 devices.

T-Mobile: "T-Mobile is very bullish on Windows 8 and will be a partner at launch," a company spokesman told us via e-mail.

Verizon Wireless: "We have said publicly that we will support the Windows Phone 8 platform," a spokesperson told us via e-mail, but didn't give details on exactly when. However, Verizon CFO Fran Shammo told Reuters in April that the phones would be coming by the end of the year.

Otherwise, Cricket, MetroPCS, and Sprint have gotten back to us so far.

Cricket: In May, Cricket told us that it's in discussions with OEMs on whether to carry Windows Phone 8. Today it said "we have said that we want to offer customers a range of choices regarding phones, plans and operating systems," but no more than that.

MetroPCS: "We'll continue to monitor the consumer adoption of Windows Phones in the marketplace," said Jay Moller, Metro's handset product planner.

Sprint: "We have a very strong relationship with our Microsoft partners, but we don't comment on products and services not yet announced." (Sprint's product head David Owens told us in May that he was "bullish" on WP8.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom